The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 8th, 2023

richwmn

Today is International Literacy Day, National Ampersand Day, and National Date Nut Bread Day

Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.--George Orwell, 1984

Meal Suggestion for today - Sushi Rice with Miso-Caramel Glazed Salmon
Drink of the Day - Hot Toddy
Wine of the Day - Kudos Pinot Noir Willamette
Destination of the Day - Honningsvag, Mageroya Island, Norway

Today in History:
1504 Michelangelo's Statue of David is unveiled in Florence
1565 1st permanent European settlement in the US founded at St. Augustine, Florida
2022 Queen Elizabeth II dies at Balmoral Castle after ruling for 70 years, as the UK's longest-serving monarch. Her eldest son inherits the throne as King Charles III.

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Victoria, British Columbia 2000-2359

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, Canada eta 09-09

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Alaska 1100-1900

Nieuw Statendam

Dover, England 1000-1900

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0700-1600

Oosterdam

Naples, Italy 0800-1800

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Amsterdam, The Netherlands eta 09-09

Volendam

Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska, Juneau, Alaska 0900-0930,1300-2200

Westerdam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0700-1300

Zaandam

St Anthony, Newfoundland 1000-1900

Zuiderdam

Bar Harbor, Maine 0800-1700

0908World.thumb.png.180ecf86ad9f05edd1775f0c2ee1e338.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 18

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Ann, Dixie, and Debbie for the TGIF Fleet Report "&" Daily.  Date bread sounds nice and literacy even nicer.

I have not been to Honningsvag.

2 great days to celebrate and one sad one.  I like the Orwel quote.

I will pass on the meal today.  My alternative is Caesar Salad, New York Striploin, and Bannana Crisp a la mode as served last night on MS Westerdam.

Our heat wave has started to wind down but it will still pass 90 today.

Roy

• Like 38

Good morning.    An interesting group of days and a thought provoking quote. Time has quickly passed since Queen Elizabeth II a year ago.    Thanks for our Daily Reports @richwmn

I will pass on the salmon and the hot toddy but an Oregon Pinot noir sounds like a good one. I have not been to Norway. 

Prayers for Baby Murphy and her parents who are going through so much.  Prayers that Lou gets out of the hospital soon.  Prayers for all on our Care list, the citizens of Maui and the people of Ukraine. 

Yesterday I got nothing done outside other than cooking a nice beef roast on the grill.  I got a lot more organizing and storing done inside.  Two very busy days ahead.   Have a nice Friday.  Nancy

Not the last Daylily yesterday but a beautiful one. 

IMG_20230907_174354141.jpg

• Like 40

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

A lot cooler here, the heat and humidity have passed.  Maybe I'll get some gardening done this weekend.

Literacy is important.  I like date nut bread.  The ampersand is great, who knew it had its own day?

Though provoking quote.

I'll pass on the meal, I hope the drink and wine are tasty.

I've been to Norway, but not today's port.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a great day!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  Temp today is 65 and we shall see about 87 and sunny skies later on.  So thankful the AC is working now and hope it continues that way through the rest of our late summer Georgia weather.🥵  In other news, after a group of 12 deer visiting us Wednesday night, last night not a single one showed up!  Guess it was time for a different "buffet" somewhere nearby.  I missed them!

Thanks Rich @richwmn for our Daily and Fleet Report.  Literacy day is important to make sure everyone can read and write.  I like ampersands to save space sometimes on certain projects.  Date nut bread is a great way to vary our diet and improve nutrition.  Interesting quote from George Orwell.  I will pass on the menu suggestion; no also to the hot toddy and the pinot noir.  Thanks though to our F&B department ladies Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for reports on them today.

As for the day in history, it's a busy one.  First, my respects to the late Queen Elizabeth.  Nice that the Statue of David was unveiled and St. Augustine founded on this date, too.  

Prayers for our entire Care list with special prayers for a miracle for Baby Murphy.  🙏 Cheers to the Celebration list people and all the cruisers.🥂  Enjoy visits with families and all your travels. 🚢✈️  Prayers for DS and DGS as they take off for Lisbon later today.  Hoping the conference goes well and their adventures are exciting and educational.  

Our port this morning is Honningsvag, Norway and I guess Mageroya Island has something to do with that location too which I didn't know.  We've had Honningsvag as our port on Oct. 28, 2021 and Jan. 6, 2022.  I was there 3 times and the last time was during my Covid quarantine in 2022 so I missed stepping on shore.  However we enjoyed the first two times because Norway is at the top of our travel favorites (tied with Antarctica).  Here are the links to the former dates for your convenience.

I'll prepare a post with Honningsvag photos and post it next.  Hoping everyone has a great day and makes the most of it.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care list:

Cruising sister’s great niece Baby Murphy post-surgery, on vent, unstable

Smitty34877’s DH Lou hospitalized

RMLincoln’s passing of a dear friend on 9/3

Catmando’s brother Scott suffering from a stroke 9/4

Crazy For Cats’ DM with a fall, hospitalization, pacemaker inserted

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Wildfires in Maui/Lahaina

Canadian/US wildfires; those in the path of Franklin or Idalia 

Shooting victim(s) 

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Cruzin Terri’s cousin post stent, not doing well

Catmando with cancer recurrence, on immunotherapy, and new issues

Haljo1945 with a frozen shoulder, PT for now and eventual surgery

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Lady Hudson celebrating the birth of a great-grandson, Jalen Alexander!

Cat shepard’s road trip with 3 friends

Mr. Boston in Europe prior to cruising

Live4Cruises’ DH Nicholas doing well and getting the ok to cruise!

DeeniEncinitas safe on Maui

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

6 days for Heartgrove (MSC Preziosa Sept 14 to Sept 24) British Isles

6 days for Lady Hudson (Jewel of the Seas Sept 14 to Sept 28) Canada and Greenland

6 days for Mr. Boston (Oosterdam Sept 14 to Oct 8 ) 24d Med Tapestry, Greece & Adriatic Antiquities

7 days for Cruising-along (Celebrity Solstice Sept 15 to Sept 22) Alaska

Oceansaway17 (Grand Princess to Sept 8 ), Luvteaching (Westerdam to Sept 10), LAFFNVEGAS (Westerdam to Sept 10), HAL4NOW (Zaandam to Sept 13, B2B), Crazy for Cats (Zaandam to Sept 13) and RMLincoln (Norwegian Joy to Sept 20, B2B)

• Like 23
  • Thanks 19

I'm sorry to say my normal early morning post is in a hold status until someone can check it over.  Not an objectionable post at all, just the CC gremlins at work!  Sorry!  I reported the post to get things moving and hopefully it will be posted soon.  Off to get photos from Honningsvag now.

Note to self:  don't put 2 emojis in a row on any post!  Hope that's not it!  

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

Good afternoon.

It is sunny now and 65°F after thick fog this morning.

Thank you for today's daily reports,lists and food and beverage descriptions.

Date nut bread is nice.

I will give today's food a miss.

A hot toddy is good when you are feeling under the weather.

I hope everyone is safe and well and looking forward to the weekend.

Screenshot_20230908_115637.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich. Another lovely start to the day here. It is so pleasant to walk in the early morning hours. 

Vanessa, thank you for taking care of our lists!  But I think you can take my “road trip” off the celebration list. It was only to the next town to hunt for their glass recycling drop box. 😎

Gym, Bindi walks, chores, more car shopping, then pool time - weather permitting. Much needed rain is predicted for this afternoon, but we all know how that goes. 

IMG_1719.jpeg.5b665198fa266c4da35580b1267d4ae1.jpeg

IMG_1727.jpeg.e68856302be30964402a74a2317f2f82.jpeg

IMG_1715.jpeg.814053b6362ba42c1c71c9d8a24b56b9.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @smitty34877, Terry praying that Lou is doing better.  Cheers to all who are celebrating! @Crazy For Cats, Jake great news about Mom!

Get well & stay well everyone!

Kudos Pinot Noir Willamette

I used the 2020 vintage info, since that might be the easiest to find. Good to excellent consumer ratings and very good - excellent critic reviews, this Oregon PN is one I would like to try.  I admit to not leaning towards PN rich in cherry flavors, but sometimes I am pleasantly surprised. Available from a decent number of distributors with prices starting at $18.99.

Distributor Notes

The Willamette Valley Pinot Noir is a blend of a number of different vineyard sites from numerous AVAs. It consists of Dundee Hills, McMinnville, Chehalem Mts. and Willamette Valley fruit coming off more than seven different vineyard sites. All of which bring their own elements from the dirt they come from. Some bring richness and depth, others minerality and tannin structure. Red, blue and black fruit all blend together, a lengthy tinkering process spanning weeks to find the right combination of flavors that balance and mesh seamlessly into one converging blend.

91 Points | James Suckling Oregon Wine Report

“Some florals and gently reductive aromas here that open up with some air in the glass. The red cherry-fruited palate really delivers attractive, typically pinot, cherry flavor in fleshy style. Drink now.”

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 5

Good Morning Everyone,  thanks for today's daily fleet report.  It's a much cooler day as we approach St Anthony.  Our Viking experience excursion was cancelled by the tour operator so we will tender in and maybe walk a trail. 

Yesterday DM was transferred to a rehab facility.  DS will visit her after work and update me.

I hope everyone has a nice day today. 

20230908_081553.thumb.jpg.4bbc4daa81f5a889f8d6c0bcfa37a482.jpg

Edited by Crazy For Cats
Add pictures
  • Like 38
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors.

Let’s look at todays days.

National Ampersand Day. I actually knew a person named Bill Ampersand. He was a special character! 😀

National Date Nut Bread Day. Does it qualify if I had a date who was a nut!

• Like 13
  • Haha 17

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

Stay Safe and prayers today for those that need them, especially Baby Murphy's family.!

- Jack

• Like 30

Good morning. I never posted yesterday.It was a difficult day.DH's condition  is not  good and there are now numerous  complications. Thanks for all the support and prayers.My Lou is not a religious  man formally but I know he appreciates it as well.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 25

We visited Honningsvag in 2013 on Crown Princess and in 2016 on the Best. Norway. Cruise. Ever on the Prinsendam.  Like I said in my original post we skipped going ashore in 2022  because we were locked up in Covid jail on the Island Princess.

In 2016 we took a private tour and our driver and 1st mate were @Gail & Marty sailing away.  There were 8 of us total. Our destination was North Cape (or Nordkapp).  Here are my photos.  At 8 am we left the ship and walked over to the nearby car rental place and were on the road soon after in this van.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

We stopped on our way to take photos of wildlife like this!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

We were at North Cape by 9 am, paid our admission and ready to continue.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

The monument everyone wants their photo with.  We hurried there first, then went inside the museum for a look around.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Inside the museum they had nature displays like this, a movie theater to see an excellent video and shops and a snack bar.

They had outside displays too.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJQhnsg7Jc3u6OhQg6Mc_CT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468075468

From there we visited a town named Skarsvag

They had a tank with King crab in it which they showed off to all the tourists.

From there we drove to another fishing village named Gjesvaer.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK8D36CvmkictZzvTN1WDMF?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468075974

They had a bird "safari" but we didn't go into it.

Then we headed back to Honningsvag to fuel up and return the van.  DH and I ate lunch on the ship, then went back outside to walk around.

The town is small so you can easily walk around to see what life here would be like.  Busy with ships in June and July!  We were there on Prinsendam. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJFuAEvdNI0QnV3R51s0_QO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076556

The Elegant Explorer00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLin-0TXpvIIqvZeYdesPGM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076610

We noticed the barriers on the hillside to prevent avalanches in the winter.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKAaehcHRmYmO_LBm3LRl4u?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076615

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLaeJy8aPPrRZZyzG82Hnsl?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076623

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL-5ifbPcGyuuCZ90XzpSYL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076631

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI3uAwkcILmPD0IvcvVL7G1?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076544

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLI8uvHPReAXy_VGnn0Eses?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076538

This trip on the Prinsendam was captained by you know who - Capt. D.D.  He likes to make your journey an experience to remember so when we left Honningsvag later that day we made a stop at sea for his fisherman buddy to deliver some king crab and cod for our enjoyment.  DH went down to deck 4 by the medical department to snap a few photos of our intrepid captain bringing the haul on board.  First a picture of North Cape as we passed it, then the king crab.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIS6QvEbtnVDJHiIO4SlPQP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076788

Fisherman buddy00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLXcy3OkvUU2xFC92iDAFM3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076810

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLIY7-iB3BzXI2wPO2ILGBb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468084033

And a shot from my cabin of Captain D.D. holding a cod fish, which would be served the following day along with fresh king crab.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJO_dNtrXK3NAeAGILblrOh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076885

What a wonderful cruise!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 10

56 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'm sorry to say my normal early morning post is in a hold status until someone can check it over.  Not an objectionable post at all, just the CC gremlins at work!  Sorry!  I reported the post to get things moving and hopefully it will be posted soon.  Off to get photos from Honningsvag now.

Note to self:  don't put 2 emojis in a row on any post!  Hope that's not it!  

This has happened to me several times, too. My posts were straight up, normal answers to questions.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. I never posted yesterday.It was a difficult day.DH's condition  is not  good and there are now numerous  complications. Thanks for all the support and prayers.My Lou is not a religious  man formally but I know he appreciates it as well.

Sending prayers 🙏 for you all Terry.

I'm so sorry to hear Lou is not well and sincerely hope he improves quickly.

Graham.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

thanks for our TGIF Daily, Rich

& thanks to Ann, Debbie, Dixie & Vanessa.

Great collection of days. Yay on Literacy every day & I will happily celebrate Ampersand Day since I tend to use a lot of “&”’s 😉 

I’m not sure I agree with George Orwell.  No one can control the past, present or future.  3 important days in history.  2 of them celebratory and one very sad.  I consider myself fortunate to have seen the statue of David up close.  I should have been in Honningsvag this spring but the elbow said no 😞 

IMG_0864.jpeg.9a823ae8ec8f4c1d7c6ecc2d1cc30617.jpeg

Not in the best of moods today and I posted my first ever not nice post on my roll call about courtesy and commitment.   Let’s just say he is in my black book to never put on tours. 

IMG_0794.jpeg.e4415e13b392245234d17c29d8ff5d08.jpeg

@Crazy For Cats that is great news that your mother has been transferred to rehab.  Sounds like she is on the road to recovery 🤞 

It’s pay for punishment day - work on my elbow, etc.  I’m definitely not in the mood.  LOL 

IMG_0878.thumb.jpeg.0d6b7317cdfcf1cbf16cef8597f89003.jpeg

27 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

I am so very sorry to hear this.  It doesn’t sound good at all.  More prayers are winging your and Lou’s way 🙏 .

Prayers for those on the Care list, special ones for Baby Murphy & her parents, those suffering losses, health issues, worries & those that need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_0793.thumb.jpeg.e17a73fa3f804e1b0234b278a0a68431.jpeg

Have a Good Friday everyone.

IMG_1839.thumb.jpeg.74eba42c3038f7f99b3e9b4210a9971a.jpeg

IMG_1853.thumb.jpeg.e4f4c042f0712f74cba09c8f54b53ddb.jpeg

IMG_1852.thumb.jpeg.49ac53e0bafc7866b4063cfa1e860446.jpeg

• Like 36
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We visited Honningsvag in 2013 on Crown Princess and in 2016 on the Best. Norway. Cruise. Ever on the Prinsendam.  Like I said in my original post we skipped going ashore in 2022  because we were locked up in Covid jail on the Island Princess.

In 2016 we took a private tour and our driver and 1st mate were @Gail & Marty sailing away.  There were 8 of us total. Our destination was North Cape (or Nordkapp).  Here are my photos.  At 8 am we left the ship and walked over to the nearby car rental place and were on the road soon after in this van.

We stopped on our way to take photos of wildlife like this!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

We were at North Cape by 9 am, paid our admission and ready to continue.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

The monument everyone wants their photo with.  We hurried there first, then went inside the museum for a look around.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Inside the museum they had nature displays like this, a movie theater to see an excellent video and shops and a snack bar.

They had outside displays too.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJQhnsg7Jc3u6OhQg6Mc_CT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468075468

From there we visited a town named Skarsvag

They had a tank with King crab in it which they showed off to all the tourists.

From there we drove to another fishing village named Gjesvaer.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK8D36CvmkictZzvTN1WDMF?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468075974

They had a bird "safari" but we didn't go into it.

Then we headed back to Honningsvag to fuel up and return the van.  DH and I ate lunch on the ship, then went back outside to walk around.

The town is small so you can easily walk around to see what life here would be like.  Busy with ships in June and July!  We were there on Prinsendam. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJFuAEvdNI0QnV3R51s0_QO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076556

The Elegant Explorer00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLin-0TXpvIIqvZeYdesPGM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076610

We noticed the barriers on the hillside to prevent avalanches in the winter.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKAaehcHRmYmO_LBm3LRl4u?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076615

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLaeJy8aPPrRZZyzG82Hnsl?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076623

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL-5ifbPcGyuuCZ90XzpSYL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076631

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI3uAwkcILmPD0IvcvVL7G1?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076544

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLI8uvHPReAXy_VGnn0Eses?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076538

This trip on the Prinsendam was captained by you know who - Capt. D.D.  He likes to make your journey an experience to remember so when we left Honningsvag later that day we made a stop at sea for his fisherman buddy to deliver some king crab and cod for our enjoyment.  DH went down to deck 4 by the medical department to snap a few photos of our intrepid captain bringing the haul on board.  First a picture of North Cape as we passed it, then the king crab.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIS6QvEbtnVDJHiIO4SlPQP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076788

Fisherman buddy00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLXcy3OkvUU2xFC92iDAFM3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076810

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLIY7-iB3BzXI2wPO2ILGBb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468084033

And a shot from my cabin of Captain D.D. holding a cod fish, which would be served the following day along with fresh king crab.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJO_dNtrXK3NAeAGILblrOh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076885

What a wonderful cruise!

What amazing photos and interesting commentary.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

More prayers for you.  Stay strong.

• Like 23