The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday September 11th, 2023

richwmn

We are home finally.  All our cold and frozen food stayed fine after the 24 delay.  Thanks for all the beautiful photos today from not only the Falklands but other beautiful places.  The penguin photos make us really sad we missed Stanley so we will have to try to make it again.  Thanks for all the reminisces of 9/11. 

• Like 16

I don't appreciate macaroni salad and don't  understand why there is so much of it. I'd rather have Roy's alternative. There is no such thing as a tequila Old Fashioned, but it's possible to disagree about whether a real one should be made with bourbon or brandy. I don't associate Pinot Grigio with the Finger Lakes but here is one from Seneca Shore Wine Cellars. I haven't been to the Falklands.

On this date in 2001, I was asleep in Los Angeles when the phone rang. I didn't grab it in time, and the call went to voicemail. Before I played it, I had heard the news on the radio.

I was starting a teaching job the following day, and it was chaos. All of the students attended and were upset; so were we. The worst part for me was that I lost a student and her mother screamed at me. The student wasn't, in fact, lost: her mother had told her to wait inside near the office, but then the mother pulled into the carpool line, while the daughter dutifully waited one floor above.

It was an affluent and trend-conscious neighborhood, and by the end of the following week almost every family had bought the largest SUV they could afford. This is a behavior I've seen in other settings: guarding against a risk that you can (maybe) protect against to displace worry over one that you can't do anything about.

A peculiarity in Los Angeles was that the political leaders and the news media all insisted that Los Angeles, not New York or Washington, was the intended target all along. Apparently we were supposed to think that the planes changed course and aimed for the WTC and the Pentagon by mistake. They were still saying this two years later even though it made no sense.

I went for an acupuncture session today, for treatment of my shoulder, which is a lot better, and insomnia, which is worse. For the insomnia, he also recommended eating asparagus, cucumbers, and pears (and oysters, but they're not kosher) to mitigate a deficiency of yin. After that I went to the organic farmers' market and Wegmans, and came back with all of them (except oysters). To be clear, the asparagus is from Mexico, not from the farmers' market.

deerabbey.thumb.jpg.15bfff7cf582b9675c35d5bc41da728d.jpg

• Like 15
  • Haha 4

Darn it. Our flight to FLL changed (again) and changed our seats (again) to different rows. Just got off the phone with American. They put us back in the original seats. 

The weather has cooled to 92 at 5:45. Looks like we may be able to sit outside later on for the 1st time for many weeks. 

Still hoping for rain! Lenda you were lucky to get a bit. We keep showing a possibility but it hasn't come to fruition. 

Hope everyone has a great evening. 

• Like 15

Update for 9/11

I had a good night and slept well, waking up with just a sore throat but no other symptoms.

I have not taken any ibuprofen today and my temperature was on the low side this morning and up to 97.1 at noon.  I am halfway through my Lagevrio and will do the 6th of 10 doses this evening.

Symptoms came in waves but passing quickly, mostly episodes of sweating.

A member of my church did pick up a couple of items for me today, dish soap and throat lozenges.

I will be busy this evening with ZOOM meetings for both church and fire department.

Not there yet but I think headed in the right direction.

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

20 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Darn it. Our flight to FLL changed (again) and changed our seats (again) to different rows. Just got off the phone with American. They put us back in the original seats. 

The weather has cooled to 92 at 5:45. Looks like we may be able to sit outside later on for the 1st time for many weeks. 

Still hoping for rain! Lenda you were lucky to get a bit. We keep showing a possibility but it hasn't come to fruition. 

Hope everyone has a great evening. 

I'm not sure we got enough to count.  Being on the lake, rain often misses us.  

Lenda

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Evening,  a fresh update from the captain.  The Zaandam will be in Halifax until at least 11.  He said we should get to Bar Harbor around noon tomorrow. 

Thanks , Jake,

we were in the Hyperion Knight show and didn’t hear an update announcement. We are scheduled to meet for our HAL excursion at 8:45 tomorrow. Hopefully they will be able to reschedule it.

• Like 12

Just wanted to check in and say hello to all. I find 9/11 to be a difficult day as we had so many friends and relatives working in the city. My cousins in the Fire and Police departments were down at the pile for weeks.My son in law walked home to Yonkers. So many people left us that day and we saw the smoke for months.There were so many heroes .

We disassembled our bed and got it to the basement in the pouring rain. Two neighbors helped my SIL. A beautiful tray of baked ziti came from the woman across the street along with a great salad. People are so kind.

Once the hospital bed arrives we will be able to get our Lou home. 
Good night to all

• Like 8
  • Thanks 20

5 hours ago, trivia addict said:

It’s a great, heartwarming and uplifting story. I hope you love it!

So proud of our Newfoundlanders who provided such wonderful hospitality at a terrible time.  We first saw it in  London and it brought tears to this Canadian’s eyes, as did the standing ovation! 

@smitty34877 sending Gentle Hugs!  Glad you are finding some kindness! NYC has such a special place in our hearts. 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 14

3 hours ago, kochleffel said:

It bothers me when people describe Operation Yellow Ribbon as if it were solely about Gander. A few things to remember:

• Although Gander is the easternmost airport on a regular transatlantic route and used to be a refueling stop for almost all flights, it received neither the first plane diverted to Canada, nor the most planes.
  • The first diverted plane to land in Canada went to CFB Goose Bay.
  • Halifax received the most planes, 40.
  • Vancouver received the most passengers.
  • Canada initially directed planes away from Toronto (Pearson), Ottawa (MacDonald-Cartier), and Montreal (Dorval) because they were in large urban areas and it wasn't known whether any other flights had been hijacked. Some flights did eventually land at each, because the airports in eastern Canada were becoming saturated.
  • They couldn't direct eastbound transpacific flights away from Vancouver, because many couldn't land at smaller airports. Some with sufficient fuel continued to inland airports such as Calgary.
  • Beverley Bass, who landed her aircraft at Gander, became the best-known of the captains because of Come From Away, but about 238 flights were diverted to Canada and others returned to Europe.
  • I believe that Gander had the highest ratio of passengers to residents. Two smaller communities in eastern Canada, Stephenville and Deer Lake, had planes land, but fewer: 8 at Stephenville, 1 at Deer Lake.

Thanks for this! I didn’t know we had any planes here, but it makes sense as we are on thr polar flight path.   Many Canadian cities sent teams to NYC after to help with peer support for the first responders as well,  

• Like 13

When we began our cruise on August 23rd, there were two large cylindrical parts being stored on the promenade deck. These parts were new. Tonight, both of those parts have been replaced with old rusty parts. The divers are still working under the Zaandam at almost ten o’clock Halifax time.

IMG_2313.thumb.jpeg.d8ae2578977b5539f1a90412e1454b95.jpeg

IMG_2315.thumb.jpeg.20dc00d1ca44dff8ddc0c4e8a61b22fb.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 11

Good evening.

We are home from Jacksonville.  Thankfully the drive home was easy.  However, i was very tired from not sleeping last night.

I am just about ready to go to bed.

The doctor raised the Prednisone dosage because the C-Reactive Protien level was quite high.  So I am on 15 mg daily for 4 days and then 10 mg for a few months.  

I also had X-rays of the cervical spine and head today. 

I have to let him know how I am feeling on Thursday and depending on how I am and the x-rays, I may have to start seeing a Rheumatologist and start PT. 

So that is where I am.  i am hoping the Prednisone will do its thing.  

The one thing I know is that I need to sleep a full night without any pain.  I have not had that luxury since around June.

So that is what I know right now and hopefully I will get some sleep with no pain. We’ll see.

Next appointments in December. 

Right now, i have to go to bed.

Good night and God Bless,

Terri

• Like 10
  • Thanks 11

@smitty34877  Terry, thank you for updating us on Lou's situation.  I hope the hospital bed comes soon so that Lou can come home.  I know from my experience taking care of my mom and dad that home is where people prefer to be.  Hugs, hugs, and more hugs to you and your family.  

• Like 16

2 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

Seaborne Quest is leaving Halifax.

Zaandam work continues at almost eleven.

IMG_2320.thumb.jpeg.7c95809d89df57cd16fbaac43b3fe724.jpeg

IMG_2323.thumb.jpeg.7a901704003988351c83fbc17ea39145.jpeg

IMG_2326.thumb.jpeg.5bc13467781df7d89afe83af490365eb.jpeg

IMG_2329.thumb.jpeg.7dafce40515762a37ff074000592f999.jpeg

IMG_2317.thumb.jpeg.eae076c7ad037f8c07cc1db0906a5672.jpeg

IMG_2318.thumb.jpeg.062a8f484d2d970b67876125f3c47d58.jpeg

Three dockworkers loosened the front ropes from the Zaandam and then just reattached them.

IMG_2319.thumb.jpeg.42a74357ae2bcee5b6b43e1cbea71756.jpeg

Thanks. We will be on the the Seabourn Quest end of October for a fourteen day cruise from Montreal to Miami. Excited about a new cruise experience.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, dfish said:

I'll offer a few recipes, but ask you what your secret ingredient is for macaroni salad.  What makes yours unique?  

I make a version of Hawaiian macaroni salad similar to the recipe you posted but also add apple cider vinegar and sugar plus grate the onion instead of just chopping it and use plenty of mayonnaise. It’s the only macaroni salad that I make anymore although I did make a Southwest style one but it just has too many ingredients. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I make a version of Hawaiian macaroni salad similar to the recipe you posted but also add apple cider vinegar and sugar plus grate the onion instead of just chopping it and use plenty of mayonnaise. It’s the only macaroni salad that I make anymore although I did make a Southwest style one but it just has too many ingredients. 

Sounds good to this temporary West Coast poster.

• Like 6