Unlinking a C&A partner

Chiliburn

I tried searching but couldn’t find a clear answer.

A friend is D+ and had his girlfriend who was Gold where linked. She become D+ with his points.

They split up and he unlinked her  .
Does she go back to gold with 20 points or does she remain D+ with only 20 points?

14 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I tried searching but couldn’t find a clear answer.

A friend is D+ and had his girlfriend who was Gold where linked. She become D+ with his points.

They split up and he unlinked her  .
Does she go back to gold with 20 points or does she remain D+ with only 20 points?

She remains d+ with  20 points 

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

Unfortunately, this is correct. The question came up several years ago when someone was going through a divorce they had high status while spouse had only cruised once but was still able to keep the status. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

Yet another reason why there are so many D and above.

BF links GF.

Break up.

BF links new GF.

Old GF links new BF.

Rinse and Repeat.

Unlinking should revert to tier relative to earned points.

Not only this but:

old GF links new BF, and he's D+, (loop as much as you want).

Plus, when any of them have kids, and their kids cruise, their kids will be D+, and their kids, (loop again).

10 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Doesn’t seem fair to everyone who have put in the time.

Exactly!!

RCI did NOT think this through.

I totally understand wanting travelling partners and families to enjoy a common status when cruising, but this permanent and infinitely transferable is an incredibly poor design.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, RobInMN said:

Not only this but:

old GF links new BF, and he's D+, (loop as much as you want).

Plus, when any of them have kids, and their kids cruise, their kids will be D+, and their kids, (loop again).

Exactly!!

RCI did NOT think this through.

I totally understand wanting travelling partners and families to enjoy a common status when cruising, but this permanent and infinitely transferable is an incredibly poor design.

It should be something like celebrity where your cabin mate is matched for the cruise ONLY

• Like 8

Being a Libra, I think everything has to be fair. This piggybacking on Diamond Plus status is not fair if it has been earned only by association and not actual cruises. One feels such D+ numbers inflation when trying to get a seat in the Crown Lounge or standing in line at the espresso machine. It seems that Royal could remedy this error if they made it a priority to award cruise points more strictly and not allotted to temporary romance partners. Royal Caribbean isn't the Love Boat.

• Like 6

Sucks when you obtain your status the hard way..one maybe two cruises (if lucky) a year...20 years later ...finally make D+ and sit next to someone who brags they are D+ after only 2 cruises because of their partner.. and this scenario has happened more than once ..

something needs to give..

Imo, since the "crown lounge" does not serve the free cocktails anymore, the match is unnecessary..

• Like 1

When “significant others” were awarded matching status, it was basically for single gender couples who could not get married. 

It is so overused now as everyone puts their “date of the month” on their status. These casual acquaintances don’t last, but the diamond/diamond plus status does. 
m

• Like 2

It is bad ,no wonder the system is congested.

I have emailed crown and anchor to ask if the do retain their tier but I really don’t expect a answer.

So if anyone wants to vent their thoughts here’s Courtney Brants email ,if anyone doesn’t know she’s the head of C&A 

cbrant@rccl.com

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had no idea you could do this if not related to the status holder. In other words, it would make sense if your partner and even child was awarded the status due to relation, but non-related couples? Well that's just poor form from RCI.

11 minutes ago, GetToLivin said:

I had no idea you could do this if not related to the status holder. In other words, it would make sense if your partner and even child was awarded the status due to relation, but non-related couples? Well that's just poor form from RCI.

If you had a casual friend and wanted to take them on a cruise ,just go to the Loyalty ambassador or drop a email ,That easy.

If was just for a one off,  for the cruise,you can understand. So your friend can be with you but not retain it for life.  Now that’s wrong.

Edited by Chiliburn

5 hours ago, GetToLivin said:

I think you are meant to have the same address, but who's going to check? 

As someone who's earned every point, one night one point, maybe two cruises a year, I agree its not fair.  Especially since we're now being kicked out of the CL/DL during HH because of overcrowding . 

Seems like loyalty is one sided to me

• Like 5

The crown and anchor system definitely has some flaws.  I went on a cruise back in 2018 with my significant other and at the time they actually gave points to my ex wife.  To say I was shocked at this was an understatement.  Shortly after that cruise I moved in with my now wife and had to call to get her status changed to match mine.  They did revert my ex wife back to what she actually cruised and told me they took away the match she did not earn.  I would think this is a really rare case though and can not confirm if my ex actually lost her new status.  My now wife shows the same points as me when she logs into her crown and anchor page(does this show the same for others?).  At some point they will have to revamp the system if there get to be too many diamonds and so on on every cruise.  That could be next to impossible for them to figure out after everything I have experienced.

14 hours ago, gerif said:

Unfortunately, this is correct. The question came up several years ago when someone was going through a divorce they had high status while spouse had only cruised once but was still able to keep the status. 

If that's one I remember she was Mad, didn't want him to Benefit. She went on and on about it

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

It should be something like celebrity where your cabin mate is matched for the cruise ONLY

Opposite extreme, Celebrity does not issue loyalty numbers/accounts to any individual under 18.  Also, I believe those individuals do not earn any points.

Ps.  I personally believe that there should be an option to de-link members due to divorce or some other event.

Edited by nelblu

As a fraction of cruise fare, Really what does D+ status ammount to?  Not talking the monstrously inflated price of drinks that customers see, but the actual cost to the ship?  Pinacle status does present some perks with real value, but I'm sure the cruise ship accountants can write off D+ and below as a minor advertizing expense.  C&A status does not influence my choice of cruise line.  I'm looking ports, length of cruise, cabin type.  Free alcohol does not interest me.

4 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Opposite extreme, Celebrity does not issue loyalty numbers/accounts to any individual under 18.  Also, I believe those individuals do not earn any points.

Ps.  I personally believe that there should be an option to de-link members due to divorce or some other event.

I’ll go further.  Linked accounts should not gain status, so de-linking would not matter as much.  A new spouse or relationship can be gold while the partner is D, D+ or whatever.  The latter could use their vouchers to buy a drink for the newbie.  With the vouchers lounge access is not such a big deal.  The minor children can earn their own status based on the number of cruises they actually sail rather than automatically gaining the parent’s status; many kids cruise enough to earn status anyway.

Notify the current ones that their status will be grandfathered for specified length of time (a year or two, perhaps) then they will revert to their own status based on their own earned points.

33 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

If that's one I remember she was Mad, didn't want him to Benefit. She went on and on about it

Ha, like knowing an ex can get social security on your benefit if they qualify.  Doesn't impact the benefit for the primary person but I've talked many off the ledge who were mad about it!

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

The latter could use their vouchers to buy a drink for the newbie.  

Marital problems.  Why would the new spouse/partner even go on a cruise if treated differently.  No inducement to cruise.