Thursday November 9th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

4 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We've been to Palermo twice.  The first time in 2004, the Noordam III took us there.  That day, we took a bus to Monreale. The second time was in 2019 on the Veendam.  That visit, we took a Ho-Ho train, which never had room when we wanted to hop back on.  We took it as we could and then walked to the catacombs and ultimately back to the ship.

These first pictures are from our 2004 visit.  The church and mosaics in Monreale.

IMG_2939.thumb.JPG.9e4f555265416350d119c92c7a4836e2.JPG

IMG_2950.thumb.JPG.2dec4c10f8f166115ee5d13ce7477a47.JPG

IMG_2947.thumb.JPG.f5192d7dc6118675675ccd75f5425e3c.JPG

IMG_2946.thumb.JPG.986ed5717f162f16ae0a6f72b80456fb.JPG

IMG_2944.thumb.JPG.6073cefbdf35f19a83e23ea4ec65fd4e.JPG

Some street scenes

IMG_2940.thumb.JPG.3a46c3dd3ae894d6e2c37fd2bd45241b.JPG

IMG_2943.thumb.JPG.b635a5ad717a8dcf6b5216665848de09.JPG

From our 2019 visit when we visited the catacombs.  The first pictures were taken on our way to the catacombs from the ho-ho, so they are not that great.

DSC08058.thumb.JPG.84616734fe93e6df3901c764972b2dae.JPGDSC08070.thumb.JPG.ba60efcd50f3aa7b632c73610602da07.JPG

DSC08069.thumb.JPG.31bf40932f1fc250969bbb650cf761ec.JPG

The road by the catacombs

DSC08075.thumb.JPG.b7c9f82b13b1abf5396dc549c24dead4.JPG

We were not supposed to take pictures in the catacombs, but we managed this one which shows some of the monks laying in niches and others still hanging.

1093814914_DSC080792.thumb.JPG.8eb04f717be724003b5401f5a45465ab.JPG

This is a side altar in the Cathedral.

DSC08095.thumb.JPG.f65366734fb1d2b3a2259d1758e6c128.JPG

Finally, a couple of streets on our walk back to the ship.

DSC08100.thumb.JPG.566d0b684e482303d13f515aed8d033b.JPG

DSC08101.thumb.JPG.eac52c68d9e5b99949dd5a15abcfd555.JPG

Lenda

Nice photos Lenda.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Last night of cruise and Sean nailed his Aria.

IMG_9025.mov

Beautiful!  Seabourn does an excellent job of finding talented entertainers like this young man.

I saw your second post after I watched the first video.  The group did an excellent job and your skill at recording them was just fine!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 11

Late to the party today - we got off the ship, waited an hour for the shuttle, then headed to the hotel. We were prepared to drop bags and find something to do until check-in, but our room was ready (arrived 10:45, check-in was 3 - yippee!!). So we took a breather, walked around the street a little looking for a tobacco shop, ate pizza then walked to the beach.

Fly home tomorrow and hope to be back on schedule Sun. Will probably spend Sat getting my Live review caught up.

Post-sunrise in Rome from our balcony. 

20231109_070929.thumb.jpg.dff08dd5b2a2844ec785a121b9b7ad78.jpg20231109_070932.thumb.jpg.7021cf90ca8d4c5163906bb50f3d390d.jpg20231109_070935.thumb.jpg.344e954aac046a2cc2c0095b2e232bb6.jpg

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, aliaschief said:

The one thing I always worried about photography with phone is that without a strap I would drop and lose it. So we found a wrist strap that has a loop that goes under the protective case and a real small loop that protrudes out above charging port. Clip the wrist band on to loop and voila take that over the rail shot without fear of dropping. When not taking pictures just unclip wrist band.

Got time the Intrepid Museum next door is free for retired military. Again. Bon Voyage!

I was worried about the same thing.  I bought two loopy things from Amazon.  One for the wrist and one for the neck (a set).  I was especially worried about leaning over the water to get pics of the whales on the charter that didn’t happen.  they really worked well and they will be going with me whenever I travel.

5 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@kazu  Jacqui, thanks for the picture of Ivan.  He sure looks better than when he first came to you.

Thanks Lenda.  He’s not the same dog that came here.  He’s healthier, happier and much better cared for (if I say so myself).  He’s become much more outgoing.   He thinks he’s young again now that he’s pain free.  Apparently that’s quite common.

5 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

I am busy this week trying to find where all my travel items are. I had many hands helping me pack up my house after DS died so I could get moved on time. No surprise I can’t find what I want.

Oh dear, it’s nice when people help but they never put them where you would 😬. I hope you can find everything in time without too much frustration 🤞 

My goal to get my luggage forward suitcases packed before the 20th is making me a little nervous. It may be that I am a little nervous going on the trip alone. 

Being a little nervous is normal, trust me.  You will be fine I’m sure and I hope you have an absolutely wonderful time.  Just try to focus on all the wonderful things you will see and do. And try not to think of the “what if’s” like I did before my last cruise 😉 

Baby Murphy is making good progress. They have stopped the TPN and she is on full NG feeds. They have started some breast milk on a qtip for oral stimulation. DB is doing well too. 

That is WONDERFUL news!

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Too late to edit my post, so will make an additional one - today is also World Adoption Day.  As an adoptee, I'm happy to celebrate this one.  I know some of our Daily family are close to the adoption process as well.

AdoptionDay.jpg.7d2b988c6ab9cac6cd97918a9562b341.jpg

Yay!  Adoption Day is most worthy of celebration !

54 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

This is just to give you an idea how good our ship singer entertainers were. Excuse my poor videography skills.

This was our last night pool deck farewell party with an Italian musical theme. It was emotional for them as their contract ended in Miami after 6 months.

Fabulous performers, indeed!  And your videography was wonderful.  Thank you for sharing 🙂 

• Like 16

Happy Thursday.  Not sure I'd like the meal today, or the drink!  Give me an old fashioned!  The travel pictures today look great, thanks to all who share!  Good to hear that Baby Murphy is improving, and her grandpa.  Ivan is looking great also! 

We have lovely sunshine today, but it's very windy and the leaves are blowing all over the place.  It rained pretty much all day yesterday.  Reading Buddies yesterday was "interesting!"  The whole 1st grade class has some kid of bug.  Most of them were coughing and sniffling. I felt very "buggy" when I got home!  I'm going to skip reading for a few weeks before our cruise, don't want to catch anything then!  

I'm working on my Shutterfly photo book...I may also just stick to photos with my new iphone going forward, it's only a 13 though.  The pictures are much better than the android phones we've had, and even my camera.  I also worry about dropping or loosing it...might have to check out the wrist strap things.  

Have a great evening, Karen

• Like 10

7 hours ago, aliaschief said:

The one thing I always worried about photography with phone is that without a strap I would drop and lose it. So we found a wrist strap that has a loop that goes under the protective case and a real small loop that protrudes out above charging port. Clip the wrist band on to loop and voila take that over the rail shot without fear of dropping. When not taking pictures just unclip wrist band.

Got time the Intrepid Museum next door is free for retired military. Again. Bon Voyage!

I ordered this case for my iPhone 14 and couldn’t be happier. It has a protective case that covers the back and sides of the phone and that then sticks inside the cover by a strong magnet. The strap on the cover case is quite useful and if i really need to pull out my phone quickly to put it in a tripod or extension stick, I can do so easily.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0B8Z3PVXW?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

also recommend this remote controlled extension (or selfie) stick for high shots. You can easily get over all those in front of you holding up their iPads and such.😉 

It is a great “handle” for the phone for video once you enable phone stabilization.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B095PDCPFR?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title&th=1

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Having dropped my phone after the first photo I took, I found the kind of accessory you describe, and it also comes with a long adjustable lanyard so I can wear it around my neck and park the phone in my shirt pocket.  Best investment I ever made ... maybe $15 for two of them on Amazon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

Having dropped my phone after the first photo I took, I found the kind of accessory you describe, and it also comes with a long adjustable lanyard so I can wear it around my neck and park the phone in my shirt pocket.  Best investment I ever made ... maybe $15 for two of them on Amazon.

First we bought the neck lanyard version but I prefer the wrist strap.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon from a cool, 55F that feels like 53F, and rainy central Texas.  All the cabinets, drawers, closets in the motorhome are empty.  I have one set of shelves and a couple more things to disconnect before a quick dusting and vaccuming.  About half the things have been moved out, and the rest will be  moved Saturday when we finish up.  Naturally, it all took longer than planned, but isn't that always the case.  We threw out quite a bit of accumulated stuff, and there's more loaded in the car to take to Goodwill in Waco tomorrow.  After I make room in the back of the car, there will be retail therapy.  I'm not a big shopper, but tomorrow will be my semi-annual to annual shopping day.  It will include a stop at the used book store, too.

7 hours ago, kochleffel said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser I’m not sure whether the cocktail is a pseudotini trying to pass as a cake, or a cake trying to pass as a cocktail.

I decided that if HRH  could have a cocktail before lunch, so could I. My choice isn’t gin, but a brandy old-fashioned. This is causing confusion in the MDR, where the servers don’t recognize it. Today I was offered brandy and coke instead. The bartenders do know what it is.

Paul, it does sound like a drink with a split personality.

6 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

We have the Carnegie Museum of Art here, but I won't be going to it today. I'll salute World Freedom Day and Carl Sagan. True quote. Maybe on the meal, pass on the drink (cake mix in a drink?) and wine. I've been to Italy, but I haven't been to Palermo.

This morning was rainy, and it's still cloudy. Temp is 55F. I slept a little better, I think from the dose of Benadryl I took for my RA injection last evening. But I had weird dreams and woke up half out of bed (I normally sleep in one spot and don't move much). Not much on the agenda today, as I can't walk around without pain; I hate to sit so much, but it's the only way I get relief. I need to make some banana bread (as muffins) with the browning bananas I have.

@StLouisCruisers Wonderful Palermo photos.

@rafinmd Safe travels. You're almost there!

@cat shepard I appreciate the prayers. 

@RMLincoln Wow, the move is almost here! Good luck with the eye exams today. 

@ottahand7 I'm glad the extraction went well and that you're taking care not to get a dry socket. Enjoy dinner with your friends tonight.

@kazu Nice picture of Ivan.

@aliaschief My street has lots of oaks. The people across the street got a metal roof. All you hear is the acorns hitting that roof, and the cars on the street.

@ger_77 I hope your DH gets the all clear at his appointment today.

@Heartgrove I'm glad you made it safely, although delayed. Bon Voyage!

@dfish Thanks for bringing up National Adoption Day; I am an adoptee too.

@cruising sister Good luck with the packing. Great news about Murphy and your DB.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great photos from Palermo. 

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

Vanessa, I'm glad you slept a little better last night, but wish you had a lot less pain.  

8 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

I am busy this week trying to find where all my travel items are. I had many hands helping me pack up my house after DS died so I could get moved on time. No surprise I can’t find what I want. My goal to get my luggage forward suitcases packed before the 20th is making me a little nervous. It may be that I am a little nervous going on the trip alone. 

Baby Murphy is making good progress. They have stopped the TPN and she is on full NG feeds. They have started some breast milk on a qtip for oral stimulation. DB is doing well too. 

Prayers for all on our list and those in need. Have a great day. 

Lorraine, I'm very glad Murphy is making such good progress. She really is a fighter.  It's good to know your DB is doing well too.  I'm sure you will find your travel things in plenty of time, and that you will do fine and enjoy your cruise.

3 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Late to the party today - we got off the ship, waited an hour for the shuttle, then headed to the hotel. We were prepared to drop bags and find something to do until check-in, but our room was ready (arrived 10:45, check-in was 3 - yippee!!). So we took a breather, walked around the street a little looking for a tobacco shop, ate pizza then walked to the beach.

Fly home tomorrow and hope to be back on schedule Sun. Will probably spend Sat getting my Live review caught up.

Post-sunrise in Rome from our balcony. 

20231109_070929.thumb.jpg.dff08dd5b2a2844ec785a121b9b7ad78.jpg20231109_070932.thumb.jpg.7021cf90ca8d4c5163906bb50f3d390d.jpg20231109_070935.thumb.jpg.344e954aac046a2cc2c0095b2e232bb6.jpg

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 

I hope you have a safe and smooth flight home tomorrow.

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks Lenda.  He’s not the same dog that came here.  He’s healthier, happier and much better cared for (if I say so myself).  He’s become much more outgoing.   He thinks he’s young again now that he’s pain free.  Apparently that’s quite common.

Jacqui, I'm glad you could make such a great change in Ivan.  Maybe I should try some of the meds he is getting, if they would make me feel younger.  🤣  In my mind, I'm still decades younger.

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Well finally could log in!  What a pain! 
I’m enjoying the photos of Palermo,  Lenda we loved Monreale,  they were repairing some of the mosaics and we watched them work.    Love the temple, Carolyn, next time!  

I’ll add to the camera discussion, we use the iPhone a lot and will get the pro model later this month. But for some things, like birds nothing beats a professional camera.  The speed, zoom and Clarity cannot be matched.   But carrying that thing is another issue.   We also have a Nikon p900,  great zoom, but lacks the speed of a professional camera. I had to laugh that I don’t think anyone realized the owl I posted was in all three shots.   I really wish they would leave the daily open a little longer as it is usually locked by the time I check in.   For a long cruise we’ll take the big guy, but for lots of travelling we will choose the other.  

@cruising sister thanks for the wonderful news about baby Murphy! 

A couple more comparisons.  

DSC_1036.jpeg

IMG_3197.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

I was thinking of what my response would be if offered the drink of the day back in my Navy days.  When I was a crusty Chief, I would have to say "You've got to be s******g me!"

As an officer, I would have to say "Surely you jest, sir".

Ray

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

33 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser

Maybe I missed it but what type/make of motor home are you getting?

Between Texas and Arizona

Bruce, we're getting a Bounder 35K.  We're going from a 40' diesel pusher to a 36'6" gas motorhome.  I posted some pictures of it on Monday.

Lenda

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good news.

Everything went very well at the bank.  For all intents and purposes, DBIL’s estate is settled.

That only took two years and two months.

Finally a reason to celebrate.

Now if we can get DH’s knee to cooperate and have the swelling go down, we will be all set.

We go to the Orthopedic Urgent Care tomorrow morning,.  They will probably drain the knee.

Terri

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good news.

Everything went very well at the bank.  For all intents and purposes, DBIL’s estate is settled.

That only took two years and two months.

Finally a reason to celebrate.

Now if we can get DH’s knee to cooperate and have the swelling go down, we will be all set.

We go to the Orthopedic Urgent Care tomorrow morning,.  They will probably drain the knee.

Terri

That is good news at last for you Terri.

I hope everything goes well tomorrow for your husband at Orthopedic care.

It is 41°F and clear this morning.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1