New App is indeed coming for Princess

Host CJSKIDS

10 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Yea, no way am I changing anything since I board on 12/9!

I might suggest to stop receiving updates. A couple weeks ago on the Diamond, the Medallion App updated mid cruise and wouldn't work after that.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 4

Maybe I've missed something in this thread....but has anybody given thought to the *possibility* that this new app has been developed by another firm?  Maybe...just maybe Princess has "seen the light" with the current dev team and has decided to go with someone that has a bit more software prowess?  We can only hope...

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

If it’s an entirely new app, that won’t happen. 

You missed my point completely.

Host CJSKIDS says, "No way I'm changing anything since I board 12/9."

If staying with the old App, what difference would any change 2.0 make on that sailing?

The only thing that matters is that the App doesn't crash.

I'm just trying to be helpful.

And none of us knows what 2.0 really entails. Is it just a change of names? It was mentioned that all the Medallion names cause confusion for new customers. If more changes, how much more? Is it just a new skin over extant problems?

I don't mean to sound negative here, but in this specific case, meaning a cruise on 12/9,  I agree with the poster who wrote, "The devil you know."

Edited by mtnesterz

3 hours ago, IndyKid said:

If anyone decides to try it out

I'm quite happy with the existing one but equally as happy to try out the new one when it arrives. My next cruise isn't due till after the new app arrives so I might as well get used to it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Maybe I've missed something in this thread....but has anybody given thought to the *possibility* that this new app has been developed by another firm?  Maybe...just maybe Princess has "seen the light" with the current dev team and has decided to go with someone that has a bit more software prowess?  We can only hope...

Hello, you were so helpful with our Oct. 2022 first time medallion cruise. We didn't use the app did everything through the web page on our booking. The medallion itself was great. We like going to get things ourselves and had no issues from boarding to leaving. Now I did have an issue with shore excursions but that was my fault.

Now my question, I am booking 3 cabins for next July and wonder if you know if I can still do everything in the web or with the new app we will be required to go through that? We were forced to do the app on another line but found out once we were on it was only good for dining. They wouldn't take any calls you had to use the app. It was very hard to remove from his phone after and he gets bombarded with ads now. Six of us this time so want all information as this trip will be their Christmas gift.

Thanks as always for your input.

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I really REALLY hope you are correct and that Princess has learned from their mistakes. That having been said, I am still not going to download the new app right away, especially not before our 12/4 cruise. All new apps have bugs (my DH calls them "undocumented features"). ALL of them. Even Apple's initial release of IOS 17 had a few minor bugs in its first version as I understand it. I would like to think the bugs in the new app will be small and will be fixed quickly. We'll see. Personally, I will wait a while and see what happens since it appears we have until February. Keep your fingers crossed for a smooth release.

Th current version of the Medallion app worked just fine for me on my recent Enchanted cruise.  The "Journey View" daily schedule was improved, but I still prefer the at a glance the printed Patter provides (which WAS delivered to our room automatically without requesting - 2 copies even!).  Hopefully the ability to see dining reservations and make/modify them is improved as the current setup is still clunky.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, latebloomer56 said:

Hello, you were so helpful with our Oct. 2022 first time medallion cruise. We didn't use the app did everything through the web page on our booking. The medallion itself was great. We like going to get things ourselves and had no issues from boarding to leaving. Now I did have an issue with shore excursions but that was my fault.

Now my question, I am booking 3 cabins for next July and wonder if you know if I can still do everything in the web or with the new app we will be required to go through that? We were forced to do the app on another line but found out once we were on it was only good for dining. They wouldn't take any calls you had to use the app. It was very hard to remove from his phone after and he gets bombarded with ads now. Six of us this time so want all information as this trip will be their Christmas gift.

Thanks as always for your input.

You cannot book cruises through the app, only "administer" existing cruises. Now, that may all change with the new app that is due out Dec. 1st...nobody really knows what this new app is going to deliver yet.

So, to answer your question,  you will still book via the web (should you desire to book directly with Princess) as you have always been able to do. 

And...unless they drastically change the dining reservations (they certainly could) you can use the "web version" in your cruise personalizer to make your dining reservations. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, theloo said:

If anyone decides to try it out and be a guinea pig, please report back with results! 😂

As far as I know it isn’t even in the App Store. Queried my CVP on this and have not had a reply. 

We have a cruise booked for October/November 2024 and have all our dining reservations made. I'm assuming I will have to update the app since our cruise is so far out, but I'm really worried that we'll lose our dining reservations.

4 minutes ago, konatyme said:

We have a cruise booked for October/November 2024 and have all our dining reservations made. I'm assuming I will have to update the app since our cruise is so far out, but I'm really worried that we'll lose our dining reservations.

Your reservations for dining should be OK, the data is likely stored on a server somewhere and is pulled when you log into the app. So even if you can't get it to pull up on the app it should still show when you're on the ship. 

1 hour ago, konatyme said:

If you lose your dining reservations (and you may well), I’m think it’s independent of the new app. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

You cannot book cruises through the app, only "administer" existing cruises. Now, that may all change with the new app that is due out Dec. 1st...nobody really knows what this new app is going to deliver yet.

So, to answer your question,  you will still book via the web (should you desire to book directly with Princess) as you have always been able to do. 

And...unless they drastically change the dining reservations (they certainly could) you can use the "web version" in your cruise personalizer to make your dining reservations. 

And...... it's possible to cruise without the app.  We have done so since the app and the "ships for free" Medallions started.  Now that they want to charge for shipping the Medallion, we just show up at the pier with our booking confirmation and get a Medallion there. After that, we use the Medallion to open our cabin door and get in and off the ship. That's it.  It's like the old key card.

Dinner reservations?  See the maitre d who can look at their seating chart and work with you.

Want a drink?  Grab a seat at the bar and order from a human being.

SWMBO and I don't need to track each other with the app.  She always turns up eventually and/or we make a plan to meet up somewhere for lunch.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

If this "new ap" works as well as or better than the old ap, we are all in trouble.  Whoever PCL has writing their ap is incompetent IMO.  I have always had problems with the ap on androids.  I am not going again until March and April but hold no hope of the ap actually working.  I have and use CCL and RCL aps on my cellphone and they actually work and are more robust than the PCL ones.  I have a dim opinion of the IT department at PCL in case you had not figured it out.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, memoak said:

As far as I know it isn’t even in the App Store. Queried my CVP on this and have not had a reply. 

I wouldn't expect the new app to be available until December 1 when it's released to the general public.

Guest Snaxmuppet
17 hours ago, donswife said:

I will be on board the Discovery Dec 1. Dare I try the new app mid-cruise?  The current app has behaved quite nicely for me, not sure if I want to chance it!

Go on... you know you want to 🙂