Teen "fell" from an Allure Central Park Balcony, unfortunately didn't survive

GJustice

23 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Someone once said, "You can tell a child he will get burned if he touches that candle or stove but until he actually does, he won't KNOW he'll get burned."  Common sense is where you believe it before you get burned.  In this case...much too late....prayers

Common sense can be difficult when your brain is still developing.

This is so tragic.  Most people, even teens, would be able to figure out that climbing on a balcony is a bad idea, but so many people think that bad things just won't happen to them.  I've seen people at hotels climb from one floor to the next through balconies.  Maybe this person thought because they weren't over the ocean it would turn out fine?  Really terrible that it did not.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I wonder if anything will change on royal after this? Like enforcement or will nothing change because they can't afford it?

Enforcement of what?  Climbing from one balcony to another is already prohibited.  This is more of a parenting issue than a cruise line issue. 

Short of enclosing balconies in glass or adding a force field, there isn't really another way to physically stop someone from doing this if they want to break the rules.  I guess you could make a rule that only people over a certain age could book cabins with balconies but there are still idiotic and/or drunk adults who could try it so that's not really a solution. 

• Like 6

Oh I forgot one more stupid thing - several kids were playing in an old church. Had to pry a board off the back window, and the roof caved in while we were in there. Felt like God wanted to have a word with us. The church was torn down shortly after the grown ups got us out. We were old enough to know we were trespassing. 

• Like 1

My problem is...it is not Royal's fault this kid fell off a balcony.  That means to me the parents should not expect someone else (Royal in this case) to take care of their child, or provide counseling or anything else.  Take responsibility for your son's actions.  And I am probably in the minority but at some point we need to be responsible for what happens to us or our family.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lovescats5 said:

My problem is...it is not Royal's fault this kid fell off a balcony.  That means to me the parents should not expect someone else (Royal in this case) to take care of their child, or provide counseling or anything else.  Take responsibility for your son's actions.  And I am probably in the minority but at some point we need to be responsible for what happens to us or our family.

Again, we don't know the insurance situation, but the insurance companies involved may legitimately require a lawsuit to be filed before they'll pay out.  In my job, I work with a lot of families who've just lost a child and the legal framework for handling these sorts of things is really complex and messy and upsetting on every front.  It doesn't matter how responsible you want to be, very few families can handle the expenses of an unexpected death without tapping into insurance or other resources.  These things are very, very expensive.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

Where are you seeing they have contacted a lawyer?  You can believe everything you read on the internet.  It would make sense for them to seek guidance from a lawyer, it doesn't mean they are trying to blame anyone.  Having someone not emotionally involved guiding them is a smart move.

My heart goes out to this family.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, SAN415 said:

I consider my parents just about perfect. We were raised by strict but loving parents. There were 5 of us kids, and Mom and Dad both worked. Let me see if I can remember just some of the stupid things I have done. Most had no repercussions health wise - so did not result in them knowing.

- We set up the ladders over the garage cement floor and us and neighbor kids "danced" on the very top to music....while singing songs like Jeremih was a bullfrog - loud.

- We swung from a rope in an abandoned barn.

- We climbed out on what seemed to be firm ice on Lake Huron - had repercussions - my dad had to come with a ladder to save my butt from the waist deep water I was standing in. I was grounded.

- "Walked" on a deep ditch that was even with deep snow. Dad again had to come with a ladder - again grounded.

- I needed to be picked up from a party 60 miles from home when I got scared. Dad came - no repercussions at all. Mom and Dad said that was the right choice.

- Drove after drinking as a teenager.

- Got lost after a football game in Ann Arbor Michigan and finally called for help when I was half way through Ohio. ( I grew up in northern Michigan.)

- Super not proud of the risks I took as a young women, so wont be listing them.

- oh one more from my childhood - I swam out into Lake Huron one summer AS FAR AS I COULD. I and a friend did this! Thank goodness for the Jaws movie, we thought we saw A SHARK! And were so scared we started to swim again. At that point we were just floating on our backs crying because we didn't think we would make it. This from two teenagers who had to take swim lessons every summer and were considered smart kids. And yes we did know that there wasn't supposed to be sharks in a fresh water lake, but you know jaws was a scary movie.

The point being, "there but by the grace of God go I " Kids do  stupid things. Accidents happen. 

I think is just self preservation as humans, folks think that if they did everything right as parents, their kids will do everything right. If course, this just isn’t true at all, but it make people feel better. I have 5 kids, good kids, but so every different than the others, raised exactly the same way. I vote nature over nurture.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2023 at 7:55 AM, richstowe said:

Not here but there are a bunch of lawyers preparing opening statements .

Not surprised -- it's not RCI's fault unless something else comes to light.  Their case could go the way of the Grandmother's boyfriend who sat her 18 month granddaughter on a window on Freedom and the child fell 11 stories to the dock.  The family did not win the case.  

I feel sorry for the family and the poor kid who lost his life.  It would really be terrible if it was a Tic Toc Challenge.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Where are you seeing they have contacted a lawyer?  You can believe everything you read on the internet.  It would make sense for them to seek guidance from a lawyer, it doesn't mean they are trying to blame anyone.  Having someone not emotionally involved guiding them is a smart move.

My heart goes out to this family.

36 minutes ago, Morecruisesplz said:

Then why would they need a lawyer. Explain please.

See above.

13 minutes ago, nelblu said:

If it's some sort of an internet challenge (e.g. Tik Tok) this may be a reason for lawyering up.

But, not against Royal and not sure who'd you go after except maybe Tik Tok (good luck with that). 

Even if it was a challenge, parents need to instill in their children that some things are just outright stupid and dangerous, you know like running out into the street without looking. At 16, most teens know that climbing on the outside of a balcony is very dangerous.  Yes, some kids survive stupid things, but that doesn't make it okay or even super common.  For example, eating detergent pods was a challenge at one point, but most teens knew it was stupid.  16 is a bit old to fall for these stunts also.  The stupid boys stunts I knew when growing up were done by more like 12 year olds.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

I did a lot of stupid things as a teenager in spite my parents good parenting, counsel and advice.  I could have died a few times due to my own stupidity.  A lot of teenage boys believe they are invincible.  I know I certainly did.  To blame the parents without any other knowledge is reprehensible at a time like this.  

• Like 18

Very tragic!  Teens and make poor choices and it hard for parents to be everywhere.  Years ago we took a Spring Break trip to FL with our 2  teen daughters who each brought a friend.  On the way down we stopped for the night a hotel. Our room had a bedroom that we took and the girls stayed in the living area with the sofa bed etc. About midnight there was a knock on the door and it was the night watchman. He said there was a boy on the outside of our balcony. Turned out the kid went from balcony to balcony to see the girls.  We were 3rd floor. Could have had a similar outcome.  Scared me. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, volk904 said:

Very tragic!  Teens and make poor choices and it hard for parents to be everywhere.  Years ago we took a Spring Break trip to FL with our 2  teen daughters who each brought a friend.  On the way down we stopped for the night a hotel. Our room had a bedroom that we took and the girls stayed in the living area with the sofa bed etc. About midnight there was a knock on the door and it was the night watchman. He said there was a boy on the outside of our balcony. Turned out the kid went from balcony to balcony to see the girls.  We were 3rd floor. Could have had a similar outcome.  Scared me. 

Okay I'll bite.  He was basically a peeping tom?

My question as a parent of teenage children is simply where were his parents? The timing...it was late at night, past the ship set curfew for kids. I'm assuming alcohol was involved, we all knew how to get a drink or two at that age on vacation. However, at that time of night, you would think the parents would have been "home" also? I know I am lucky that my kids are not daring children, they tend to be mature and know right from wrong in situations such as these. I am guessing the parents were either still out, intoxicated and passed out, or staying in a separate part of the ship to not know what was happening. Each cabin is required to have someone 21+ staying in each cabin, where was the adult? 

Poor kid was basically left to their own devices and not equipped maturity wise to handle them. 

39 minutes ago, mandyleighflies said:

The timing...it was late at night, past the ship set curfew for kids. I'm assuming alcohol was involved, we all knew how to get a drink or two at that age on vacation. However, at that time of night, you would think the parents would have been "home" also?

Like I said enforcement of these things on Royal tends to be poor.