LAFFNVEGAS Live from the Nieuw Statendam December 10, 2023

LAFFNVEGAS

5 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Greetings from Holland America Nieuw Statendam as we are approaching San Juan PR

Very rough seas and high winds, we have had this since last night. The Christmas Winds are a blowing. 
We all met for Club Orange Breakfast this morning but have to admit I am not impressed, my yogurt dish I always order with the chia seed and mango was not at all cold , actually warm and the yogurt did not come taste good. Then ordered French toast that was cold, the syrup was molasses and the ham and sausage was also cold and the French Toast all dried out. 
I am tempted to just eat in the MDR or Lido. 
Could not get them to give us a second mimosa or flag someone down to get it, nor to get second cup of coffee. We are far from impressed with Club Orange. 

Your Club Orange dining experience is not improving, Lisa.  It seems to be deteriorating.  that is such a disappointment.  I’ve done Club Orange on the Koningsdam and Rotterdam and had good service.  Coffee and mimosas (if you wanted them) were flowing every morning.

I think the suggestion to lodge a complaint on Navigator or talk to the Maître D’ is a good one.

I don’t blame you for not being impressed.  That is such a shame 😔 

• Like 6

No CO special again?  There is something seriously wrong with CO on the ship.  Have you considered visiting the CO Guest Services and letting them know how confused you are that the CO is not offering its nightly special like it does on other ships?   And also casually mentioning that the service is lacking?

Edited by cbr663
  • Like 3

Just love this time of night, late afternoon in CA.  I would love to try the baby beets, then prime rib, finishing with the ricotta raspberry tart, please.  And, a red wine.

The photos of San Juan were beautiful. I wonder if this cruise is a bit "off" for Club Orange because they are preparing for Christmas/New Year's week.  No excuse but very disappointing.  Cherie 

• Like 3

On 12/11/2023 at 3:34 PM, ger_77 said:

Dutch 150th - lemon juice, more Vitamin C.  Crab & artichoke dip, Rack of lamb, and the Flourless chocolate cake.  Yum!

Change the lemon juice to Chardonnay, add a cup of Decaf Coffee with dessert  and this is exacty my choice.

• Like 3

As I mentioned No Club Orange Entree.

Menu seems more limited than previous Culinary Council dinners.

Tom was able to order a Ceasar Salad with his plain Prime Rib and a Hot Fudge Sundae. I had the Sushi Trio but forgot to get ale pictures. I did get the Prime Rib which had more flavor than Koningsdam. I also ordered a Creme Brûlée not on the menu. I did include the pasta that Marcia had and her dessert.

Dinner did take two full hours and we were finished with dessert before our coffee arrived. 

I have not written a new te in Navigator yet may do so this evening. 

Someone asked if I was not returning to HAL, our next cruise will be on Windstar Wind Surf on March 2nd out of St Maarten. The April 14 we sail in The Haven on the Norwegian Joy to Bermuda out of NYC. We will return to HAL on the Westerdam late August 2024.

IMG_5212.jpeg

IMG_5213.jpeg

IMG_5214.jpeg

IMG_5215.jpeg

IMG_5216.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I'll have 2 Cosmopolitans, shrimp, halibut, and chocolate puff pastry with tea. Thanks.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Club Orange. I hope you will make a comment on the Navigator app.

In the past, I have put comments or questions on the Navigator app.  I always got an answer the same day. Usually it was on voice mail after we returned from dinner. 

When I made a positive comment about a crew member, I always got a thank you from the supervisor on voice mail and the crew member in person.

• Like 4

I'll have the sushi and coconut crusted shrimp to start. I think a Riesling with these.

The prime rib (medium) and add the beets from the appies section (horse radish thing on the side)

Pair a Cab Sav with the main.

Ricotta raspberry tart for desert.

I think blueberry tea to finish.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tompeter said:

Yes, please get the CO Dining room straightened out before we board Sunday. It certainly doesn't sound like my past experiences either. 

Sadly, we had a disappointing CO experience on the cruise before this one (Nov 26 - Dec 10) - temperature was unbelievably cold and service ridiculously slow. Net result was only 1 breakfast & 2 dinners in there the entire cruise. The food was good, though, but not worth enduring the uncomfortable chairs on top of the cold temp & long service time.

I hope @LAFFNVEGASis able to get an improved experience and that yours is great 

• Like 5

Lisa, I was thinking about your current CO experience and our own recent last night.  We are currently enjoying a trip to Quebec City and staying at the Fairmont Chateau Frontenac.  Last night we dined in the hotel’s Sam Bistro, it’s more casual dining option.  We enjoyed an excellent evening with top notch food and service.  The waiter easily handled 5 tables last night with confidence and flare.  No rushing around, no taking notes for orders, easily making small talk at every table, and yes, returning after every course to ensure that everything was okay.  He handled a table of 6, 4, 4, 2, and 2 effortlessly.  

Why is it so difficult to get the level of service on a ship?  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

Sadly, we had a disappointing CO experience on the cruise before this one (Nov 26 - Dec 10) - temperature was unbelievably cold and service ridiculously slow. Net result was only 1 breakfast & 2 dinners in there the entire cruise. The food was good, though, but not worth enduring the uncomfortable chairs on top of the cold temp & long service time.

I hope @LAFFNVEGASis able to get an improved experience and that yours is great 

Those chairs do look uncomfortable 😣.

• Like 3