Never again, CROWN PRINCESS

drhugs

Sadly, I am now writing ti you from the Crown Priness..16 day to Hawaii and back to San Francisco.   We have had 4 sleepless nights going and now the same returning.  Granted, very rocky, but the shaking in the cabins, and 20 seconds of engine straining noises is absolutely ridiculous.  It sounds like the ship is in dire need of repair, or there is something major with the stabilizers.  It goes off every 20 seconds or so. You CANNOT SLEEP OR REST!  Cancel your cruise if you can.  There are so many other disappointments..too numerous to mention here.  We are done with Princess.  You have so CHEAPENED your cruises..and we have been on over 30  cruises with you.  You have abandoned your loyal cruisers...we loved Princess for years..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can sympathize.  My first and only cruise on Celebrity was on the Zenith, early nineties.  I don't know what we were under but the cabin was banging all night and neither my mother nor me got any sleep.  We went to guest services and asked to be moved, but they were sold out. 

We will be on the Crown Sunday for our first trip to Hawaii.  Curious about what is going on.

We were on the Crown last year for a cruise to Alaska and if I remember correctly, this was when they were having issues and people were switching to the Discovery cruise around the same time.  We stayed with the Crown and really enjoyed the cruise.  I do remember vibrations in the dining room sometimes but nothing too bad.  I was hoping that was fixed.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, drhugs said:

C325..midship, M1 club class

We didn’t experience this on the Caribe deck.

Did you report it to GS? Any where they could move you?

Sorry to hear this.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, drhugs said:

We have had 4 sleepless nights going and now the same returning.  Granted, very rocky, but the shaking in the cabins,

You should defenitely blame Princess on this. 

🍿 < Popcorn Icon

23 minutes ago, drhugs said:

and 20 seconds of engine straining noises is absolutely ridiculous.  It sounds like the ship is in dire need of repair, or there is something major with the stabilizers.

C325 is not even close to stabilizers. Or the engine.
And Caribe is deck 10.

Posted by "drhugs"

Name sais all I think.

Edited by EDVM96
  • Like 3

Every cruise from the west coast to Hawaii and return always has weather and sea issue a few days out and the last days back. This is to be expected. We cruise this crii I se often and if people would check out reviews they would know to expect it. You are in the middle of the Pacific. Try crossing the Bay of Biscay sometime. That one actually knocked me out of bed

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I can sympathize with your disappointment but if you’ve had 30 cruises all with Princess and I assume they were satisfactory, why would you let one less than satisfactory keep you from never cruising them again.

Just trying to understand your logic there. 

Either way, I hope your next cruise line is everything you expect it to be. 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, drhugs said:

C325..midship, M1 club class

C325 is not and M1 or club class cabin  (now referred to as reserve class).  
Of course, the path to and back from Hawaii is notorious for rough seas.  Plus, there are storms out in the US west coast, not really the fault of Princess.  

• Like 5

D325  typo...thanks for all the comments...I am sharing my observations being on the Crown right now til jan 7...not merely rough seas, believe me.

• Like 2

It's totally fine to never want to choose a cruise line or ship again, that's your decision. But to me this sounds less like a problem about the ship (do you really think other ships of similar build and size on other cruise lines are magically better), and more about the condition of the seas, which is not something you can magic away as long as you cruise. And maybe a better location might help. 

There seems like a sweet spot of conditions you'll need to check for your next cruise to be better, but is there any guarantee that on the same itinerary, on similar dates, in similar cabins, you won't have an issue on other cruise lines?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, drhugs said:

D325  typo...thanks for all the comments...I am sharing my observations being on the Crown right now til jan 7...not merely rough seas, believe me.

You would still  have not been near the stabilizers. If you are used to coastal and  Caribbean cruises they are nothing like real ocean 🚢 liners 

A number of different storms have been hitting the west coast, not surpring the ride to/from Hawaii has been pretty rough. We have been having very heavy waves hitting the coast for the last 2 weeks. Record setting if you believe the news casts.

The stabilizers are somewhat noisy in rough seas on all of the varients of Grand class ships including the Crown. Very noticeable on deck 5 international Cafe area. In that area it would be in sync with the waves and include a few seconds of crashing noise in conjunction with the ship shuddering a bit at the same time. Not unusual in heavy seas in that class ship. Used to enjoy sitting in the International Cafe watching the wave splash off the windows and hearing the stabilizers.

Usually would not be noticeable on Dolphin. In those seas likely to get all kinds of noises from outside in a balcony cabin. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Crown isn't my favorite ship.  The mattresses leave a lot to be desired.  Not up the Princess Luxury Bed standards and all need to be replaced.  Also, every time I've been on the Crown there's a public area of the ship that smells like sewage.  Skipping SF cruises, despite it being my homeport, until the Ruby returns in the fall of 2024.  SF was pretty spoiled with the Royal Princess during the restart.

I think you have to realize that it's really never smooth sailing from California.  The Pacific Ocean is a different beast.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, drhugs said:

I am sharing my observations being on the Crown right now til jan 7...not merely rough seas, believe me.

I see on Cruisemapper you are in Ensenada today. I've been reading other Princess reviews, a lot of them negative lately. I hope you enjoy your day ashore and the remaining portion of your cruise in more enjoyable!

Edited by mtnesterz

The stabilizers are somewhat noisy in rough seas. It’s the vibration from the stabilizers cutting through the water. More apt to feel on the lower decks. I have been in the IC and the vibration hits and the plates on the tables rattle. Coming up from Ensenada can be a treat also. One run up, I remember when the ship hit a roller, the whole ship would shake. The captain had to slow the ship down to smooth it out.  

You just never know what the seas will be like. I have seen it smooth as glass, to rock’in and roll’in.

• Like 2

Posting from Seabourn Sojourn which is a couple days behind you and we’re experiencing the same thing weather wise for what it’s worth. I’m sure the folks on the Holland America and Viking ships in Hawaii with us are experiencing the same awful conditions. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2