seafood shack...is it worth it?

csoud68

9 hours ago, mz-s said:

I tried it once and haven't felt the need to go back. You should try it though.

Mine and my wife's opinion also. Carnivals food is hit or miss. Try it and see. On our cruise last september the food on the first full day was as salty as it could be all day then after that the rest of the cruise it was bland .they  must have used up all the salt . Seafood shack when we had it on Liberty was a once and done.It was greasy as greasy could get and we like fried food. We will try it on Horizon  in April . It could be a once and done too.

7 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I'd probably try it if it was open later, when less venues are open. There are so many solid, complimentary lunch options, that it makes it tough for me to choose this. 

I've wanted to try the clam chowder for a couple of cruises now and it's never open when I'm ready to try it. Hoping to give it a try on Mardi Gras.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, mz-s said:

I tried it once and haven't felt the need to go back. You should try it though.

The crab was nearly impossible to remove from the shell. Came out in teeny weeny pieces with no flavor.

On 1/27/2024 at 9:40 PM, csoud68 said:

I don't care about the money just wondered how good it was.

It's good.  It's not "very good" and it's far from "great".  The lobster rolls are disappointing if you're used to what you can get on the east coast.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

It's good.  It's not "very good" and it's far from "great".  The lobster rolls are disappointing if you're used to what you can get on the east coast.

This is why I want to try the clam chowder, to compare it to what I'm used to eating. I'm hoping that it is at least passable. (Well, there is also the fact that I love clam chowder as well.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I've wanted to try the clam chowder for a couple of cruises now and it's never open when I'm ready to try it. Hoping to give it a try on Mardi Gras.

I found it even harder to try paid stuff on the Excel class. I love me some burgers and tacos. Then they decided to add chicken sandwiches and street foods. 

46 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I found it even harder to try paid stuff on the Excel class. I love me some burgers and tacos. Then they decided to add chicken sandwiches and street foods. 

There is this, as well. It took me several Carnival cruises before I was able to give Blue Iguana a try.

I always say I am going to eat at the SS but haven't yet, but my cruise mates always go for a lobster roll (we are from CA so not spoiled by East Coast versions) and enjoy them.  I plan to give it a go this coming cruise in March.  I have heard its better to go to the SS early in your cruise vs. last day etc due to freshness but can't speak to that personally.

• Like 2

it  was ok on the celebration- loved the fish & chips on valor & paradise but the best fish & chips was at cooperstown (owned by alice cooper) along with the clam chowder- sad day for me when it closed- looked like a hole in the wall but had the best food and not expensive- 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Do they still do the bread bowl with the Clam Chowder?  On the Panorama in 2021 they did, and if I remember correctly on Radiance last year they did, but not on the Luminosa when we did the Transpacific.   Sailing on Venezia next month and hoping they do!

5 hours ago, ehyup71 said:

Do they still do the bread bowl with the Clam Chowder?  On the Panorama in 2021 they did, and if I remember correctly on Radiance last year they did, but not on the Luminosa when we did the Transpacific.   Sailing on Venezia next month and hoping they do!

Unfortunately, I haven't seen the bread bowls on my last few cruises. On my last cruise, I asked if it was possible, and they told me that they didn't do that anymore because so many people were not eating the bread. Guess they saw it as a waste. I wish it were an option that you could choose from. =( 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, pnwredhead said:

Unfortunately, I haven't seen the bread bowls on my last few cruises. On my last cruise, I asked if it was possible, and they told me that they didn't do that anymore because so many people were not eating the bread. Guess they saw it as a waste. I wish it were an option that you could choose from. =( 

Totally agree.  The bread bowl is what made the clam chowder! Its just not the same without it.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I remember on one of my cruises post-restart, they had a slide on the jumbotron at the main pool telling folks not to waste so much food. It specifically called out bread as the most-wasted food onboard.

As far as the bread bowls I am sure waste was the reason. Same reason why the taco shell bowls are gone from blue iguana 😞 

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, coops said:

Excellent clam chowder and excellent calamari. 

Another upvote for the calamari. We tried it on the Radiance last week and it was a big portion and was accompanied with Old Bay-dusted fries. Two thumbs up from my 4 year old, so you know it was good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For us no. Seafood platter $23.60 . We get 3 times more minus the grease for $21 at home in south kackalacky. It just depends on what you're used too. In my opinion seafood places owned by Greeks can't be beat plus the sanitation I saw was atrocious.i live on a farm and I'm not stranger to germs but I also owned a few businesses a couple of concession stands .what I saw was a fail..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/12/2024 at 10:30 PM, pnwredhead said:

19 hours ago, mz-s said:

I remember on one of my cruises post-restart, they had a slide on the jumbotron at the main pool telling folks not to waste so much food. It specifically called out bread as the most-wasted food onboard.

As far as the bread bowls I am sure waste was the reason. Same reason why the taco shell bowls are gone from blue iguana 😞 

It's a bummer for sure but I know that I would be one of those that wouldn't eat the bread bowl so I can totally understand. I love bread and will eat my share, and I also hate to waste food, but eating the bowl is just not typically my thing (and the same would go for a taco shell bowl). I would eat a little of it but I probably wouldn't finish it. And people being people the only way having it as an option might work would be to charge more for an order with the bread bowl. 

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 1

Seafood shack is another very good option for pay added to the cruise experience.  We so not do it every cruise for sure, but do indulge from time to time.  Carnival’s different food options def enhance the cruise experience and the options, especially on the newer ships, probably lead the industry.  Options are a good thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Scpiratemonkey said:

For us no. Seafood platter $23.60 . We get 3 times more minus the grease for $21 at home in south kackalacky. It just depends on what you're used too. In my opinion seafood places owned by Greeks can't be beat plus the sanitation I saw was atrocious.i live on a farm and I'm not stranger to germs but I also owned a few businesses a couple of concession stands .what I saw was a fail..

Hahaha, that's South Carolina to the unwashed.

• Haha 6