The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday January 28th, 2024

kazu

DH just came in from emptying the rain gauge.  In the last 3 days we've received 3 1/4 inches and a week before we got 5 inches in that one day deluge.  I checked the Georgia drought map for January and there is a swath that runs through Atlanta including Stone Mountain that is abnormally dry.  Most of the state is not currently in a drought condition including our section.  At the beginning of January we were pretty dry but we've caught up.

Sharon @Sharon in AZ please tell Amaya happy 17th birthday!  What a great age!

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser DH looked up the location of the game in College Station and it's not on the campus of Texas A&M but instead at a place called Veteran's Park and Athletic Complex.  They have a nice group of soccer fields over there.  I believe FC Dallas has another game in February there against a different Houston area team.  

Roy @rafinmd I think this was our second renewal but we didn't have to go in for an interview this time or last.  Of course that was required for the first application and we went to a CBP facility near the Atlanta airport.

Joy @Seasick Sailor I'm surprised you still have that finger!  You do, don't you?? 😆

Debbie @dfish glad to hear the journey to San Diego is almost over.  Hope you have a good evening once you get settled at the hotel.  

• Like 18

3 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Joy @Seasick Sailor I'm surprised you still have that finger!  You do, don't you?? 😆

I know! The monkey had been in a trash can and had a yogurt cup stuck on his head.  I pulled the cup off and the monkey grabbed it back! So I put my finger in the cup to wipe out the remaining yogurt and he held my finger and the cup. He followed me to a stand that sold peanuts and polished off nuts in his mouth and hands.  We threw the rest by the birds. 

20231209_103309.jpg

20231209_095138.jpg

20231209_094846.jpg

20231209_103634.jpg

20231209_095253.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I just realized this day in personal history 1 year ago I was taken to our local hospital by ambulance for a 3-day stay diagnosed with pneumonia.

Roy

And Jan. 28, 2023 was the first day I posted the Daily for you because you were ill.  You posted about a fall the night before and when you didn't post as usual, I went forward with it.  You had warned us of some health issues during the days leading up to Jan. 28.  

Coincidentally tomorrow's port is the same one we had Jan. 28, 2023 and I'll be posting the link to it in the morning.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 15

33 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I think this was our second renewal but we didn't have to go in for an interview this time or last.  Of course that was required for the first application and we went to a CBP facility near the Atlanta airport.

It's time for me to renew Nexus. Last time I didn't have to have an interview; my original interview was at Fort Erie/Buffalo.

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Ann, Tina, and Paul.  Happy Championship Sunday..  I'll salute our Astronauts and Immigration Lawyers and Daisys are nice to look at.

I like the quote. 

A sad day in American History and am glad Luther escaped without major harm. 

I will not be watching the game today.  It seems like whenever I watch the Ravens make major mistakes, so my not watching will be my contribution to their effort.  Way too superstitious but I would feel awful if something went wrong while I watched.

One of the leaders of my church livestreaming rotation never works when the Ravens are playing.  I thought he probably had season tickets but learned in our mens' group meeting that is not quite true.  It seems that his son is one of the younger coaches on the team so I expect his family borders on the royal treatment.

I'll probably pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Coconut Nutmeg Soup, Sun-Ripened Pineapple Delight and Oven Roasted Chicken as served on MS Maasdam January 28, 2015

I have not been to Puntarenas but have been to Puerto Caldera on Crystal Symphony in 2012 and Crystal Serenity in 2018 but were unable to dock due to high winds in 2020.  The photo is from 2018 showing how close the Eurodam was to us in Puntarenas:

eurodam.jpg

Roy

I will be rooting for the Ravens today.  I am sailing out of Baltimore on Vision for the Super Bowl and it would be a lot of fun if the Ravens are a part of that big game.  Katherine 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, superoma said:

I have the pages prepared but it won’t let  me copy and paste the entire page with the pictures so I will paste each picture separately!

I prepare the recipes in advance using Google docs and the text and pictures copy and paste onto CC.  Thank for the recipes.  We wouldn’t want the Daily to starve while Debbie is gone.

Arrived in Buenos Aires after 24+ hours of travel.  Decided to do a “brief” live thread because I was so grateful for the three that were published before my cruise.  I will be reading the Daily but if you want to catch up with me for the next 22 days, check out the other thread.  

Go Ravens!IMG_8821.jpeg.80fb38f66ccd01556889de1e75ef5776.jpeg

Edited by 0106
  • Like 23

Aloha!  
Just realized @dfish @Quartzsite Cruiser @Sharon in AZ@summer slope will all be in Kona February 8.  Don’t know what you have planned, but please Let me know if any of you would like to meet for drinks at the Marriott king Kamehaha Billfish bar and grill between two and four for happy hour?  It’s right by the pier where you’ll tender in.  

or if you just need any info let me know…

We love having Nexus.  

IMG_0425.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I found a few more pictures of Costa Rica.

We have been Costa Rica many times docking at both Puntarenas and Puerto Caldera.   Some of our first visits were pre-digital, and there were a few post digital, with most docking at Puerto Caldera.  Since the tours to the interior of Costa Rica are the same, I thought I'd share some pictures from various tours.

In 2009 on Statendam, we visited the rain forest and did the aerial tram.  We could hear the people on the zip line as they passed overhead.  These are a few pictures of the tram and the rain forest.  We did see a few mynah birds and a couple of toucans, but pictures were difficult to get. 

IMG_5566.thumb.JPG.9fe578edc5597b4eac61aff0c67ed532.JPG 

IMG_5570.thumb.JPG.325889ff63f2fde5a61c1659391652d1.JPG

IMG_5571.thumb.JPG.014924b8d5cdeeb3ecd1bac94d64216e.JPG

IMG_5574.thumb.JPG.bdb765b6407f9b6b002a202671903c0b.JPG

In 2015, again on Statendam, we took a tour to San Jose along with stops in Grecia and Sochi.  But first, this pictures shows why along with road work tours are sometimes late returning to the ship.

DSC01892.thumb.JPG.510c0b1a029a885cb7a412a7e9015621.JPG

San Jose

DSC01893.thumb.JPG.9b49271acdceba1eae710819b345e694.JPG

The National Theater

DSC01911.thumb.JPG.0731b50902e0c4d844d76a9c77bb39f2.JPG

DSC01899.thumb.JPG.2306004d5985841a74a556eddae05792.JPG

DSC01906.thumb.JPG.e4d86a25553199927f14cde06ce222d6.JPG

A reception room in the theater.

DSC01903.thumb.JPG.cfaea3b2edb6392508ae8af94138fa72.JPG

DSC01905.thumb.JPG.8ca197420e06d9c0a24e4c959b2f74a7.JPG

Grecia and the "iron church", Iglesia de la Nuestra Senora de las Mercedes,  which built using sheet of Belgium metal that were riveted together.

DSC01003.JPG

DSC01004.thumb.JPG.87300eb07b3ad00db87ece57c90b483f.JPG

DSC01005.thumb.JPG.0b16c03ea4ea91edca8fb9ee6bc8e6a9.JPG

Another church, but I'm not sure if it is Grecia or Sarchi.

DSC01006.thumb.JPG.fd8578bdcd5e29ea88e60aacd97a1424.JPG

The factory in Sarchi where they make the painted wagons and other decorations.

DSC01012.thumb.JPG.03aa9a4fc5e6fe31135253f2039c33be.JPG

DSC01014.thumb.JPG.e229bfceb957ae22a303c1e22ef7c4a1.JPG

DSC01021.thumb.JPG.54370ac5839a1e54020363ac6a72b279.JPG

We've also gone to the cloud forest, where it poured, a coffee plantation. and taken the train along with a boat on a river to see crocodiles.  All these were pre-digital tours.

Lenda

Super photos Lenda.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

I will be rooting for the Ravens today.  I am sailing out of Baltimore on Vision for the Super Bowl and it would be a lot of fun if the Ravens are a part of that big game.  Katherine 

The last time the Ravens were in the Super Bowl I was on Enchantment.  The big outdoor screen on the pool deck had just been installed and I watched the game from the Viking Crown Lounge as we sailed up the Chesapeake Bay on the way back home.  When I got off the ship the Lombardi was already ours.

Roy

• Like 18

When we did our tour in Lanzarote of the large Costa Tequise market there was a beautiful church in the village centre.

We said prayers and lit a couple of candles.

IMG_20240121_100613.jpg

IMG_20240121_100807.jpg

IMG_20240121_100902.jpg

IMG_20240121_101029.jpg

IMG_20240121_101102.jpg

IMG_20240121_101142.jpg

IMG_20240121_101425.jpg

IMG_20240121_102010.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

The last time the Ravens were in the Super Bowl I was on Enchantment.  The big outdoor screen on the pool deck had just been installed and I watched the game from the Viking Crown Lounge as we sailed up the Chesapeake Bay on the way back home.  When I got off the ship the Lombardi was already ours.

Roy

And I was on Grandeur when the Eagles beat the Patriots.  It was a fun time — the Diamond concierge turned the Diamond Club into a Super Bowl party!

• Like 14

Our sunny day turned into a cloudy day with a north wind.  It's still not too bad outside if you're not in the wind.  Since it was not humid and we had the wind, the clothes dried quickly, and now the laundry is folded and put away.  Only chore left is getting the suitcases into the house so we can pack tomorrow.  The rest of the afternoon, I plan to sit outside with my book.

56 minutes ago, 0106 said:

I prepare the recipes in advance using Google docs and the text and pictures copy and paste onto CC.  Thank for the recipes.  We wouldn’t want the Daily to starve while Debbie is gone.

Arrived in Buenos Aires after 24+ hours of travel.  Decided to do a “brief” live thread because I was so grateful for the three that were published before my cruise.  I will be reading the Daily but if you want to catch up with me for the next 22 days, check out the other thread.  

Go Ravens!IMG_8821.jpeg.80fb38f66ccd01556889de1e75ef5776.jpeg

I'm glad you arrived safely.  Enjoy your cruise.   Eva, @superoma is making sure none of us starve, and the four of us on the Koningsdam, will definitely not starve.

48 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Aloha!  
Just realized @dfish @Quartzsite Cruiser @Sharon in AZ@summer slope will all be in Kona February 8.  Don’t know what you have planned, but please Let me know if any of you would like to meet for drinks at the Marriott king Kamehaha Billfish bar and grill between two and four for happy hour?  It’s right by the pier where you’ll tender in.  

We love having Nexus.  

IMG_0425.jpeg

Brenda, I would love to meet you, but we have an afternoon tour that begins at 1:15 pm and is 3 1/3 hours,  Sadly, we will miss the happy hour time

Lenda.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Hello Dailyites from the Volendam!

We are at sea today for a relaxing day. Tomorrow we are in Brisbane, where we all have to go through immigration inspection.

There is also a heat warning for Brisbane which will happen this time of year when a person is on this side of the equator. The personal fan and cooling towel will be put to use.

Safe travels and Bon Voyage to @summer slope @Sharon in AZ @Quartzsite Cruiser and @dfish !! I know you will have a great cruise with fellow Dailyites. I am having a great cruise on the GV Australia with Dailyites. 🌴😎😊

Thanks to all contributors. 

Take good care all. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon everyone.

Just to let you all know that we made it to Jacksonville and are checked into the Hotel.

Sorry i didn’t post yesterday.  DH was having his troubles and I was trying to pack for two of us and doing many other things.  It all got sorted out in the end.  

We are going to the Outback for dinner now.

Will post more later with times, etc.

Terri

• Like 15
  • Thanks 6

Good day from rainy Hamilton. Had a lovely pub lunch with fish and chips, then watched Kansas play Baltimore. Hope everyone is well and thanks for all the maps and other good stuff. Prayers to all who are ill

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good afternoon everyone.

Just to let you all know that we made it to Jacksonville and are checked into the Hotel.

Sorry i didn’t post yesterday.  DH was having his troubles and I was trying to pack for two of us and doing many other things.  It all got sorted out in the end.  

Terri

Glad you are there safely, Terri 👍 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

Aloha!  

We love having Nexus.  

IMG_0425.jpeg

I wish we could!  Like Lenda we have a tour that is 4 hours and starts at 12:30.

We are all checked in at our hotel and I had a swim in the pool.  That felt so, so good!!  Linner was good as well.  We had the Brussels sprouts starter and I had lobster tacos and a cucumber jalapeño margarita.  I had to try it.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

We are back from dinner, which was quite good.  

Thank you to Jacqui, Roy, Vanessa, @superoma, Dixie and Ann for keeping us going.

As for the days.  I respect the immigration lawyers for their efforts.  I remember the day the Challenger exploded, the the sadness that engulfed all of us.  I love daisies.

I will pass on the meal and drinks.

I have not been to Punta Arenas in Costa Rica, but have been to Puerto Limon.

@grapau27 Graham, thank you for the lovely photos of your cruise.  Those are the ports we were unable to see because we were quarantined on the ship due to covid.  If all goes well, we will be seeing some of them in October.

Yesterday was a hard day.  Lots of confusion and at one point I thought we were going to have to cancel the cruise.  I managed to get both of us ready and I was exhausted.  Today everything is fine, like nothing happened.  Go figure!  

We are happy to be on our way.  Plan to take it easy.  I need a rest.  Got some pointers from my TA on how to handle difficult situations.  I think we will be okay.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

@aliaschief Bruce, your cruise looks awesome.  I am sure you are having the time of your life.  It looks like Azamara knows how to keep their guests happy.

We are flying out of Jacksonville at 12:11 tomorrow on American Airlines.   We arrive in Miami at 1:38 pm. We are staying at the Marriott Biscayne Bay.  Have a room overlooking the cruise port.

Will head to the airport tomorrow and have breakfast in the lounge prior to boarding.

Have a good night everyone.

Thank you for the good wishes.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Good evening.  We're making progress for our cruise.  The suitcases are in the house waiting to be packed tomorrow.  This afternoon, I practiced for our cruise and time on our balcony by sitting on our patio with my book. 

4 hours ago, Cruisercl said:

Hello Dailyites from the Volendam!

We are at sea today for a relaxing day. Tomorrow we are in Brisbane, where we all have to go through immigration inspection.

There is also a heat warning for Brisbane which will happen this time of year when a person is on this side of the equator. The personal fan and cooling towel will be put to use.

Safe travels and Bon Voyage to @summer slope @Sharon in AZ @Quartzsite Cruiser and @dfish !! I know you will have a great cruise with fellow Dailyites. I am having a great cruise on the GV Australia with Dailyites. 🌴😎😊

Thanks to all contributors. 

Take good care all. 

Cruising with Dailyites is like cruising with friends even if you've not met in person.  It makes the cruise even better.  Glad you are enjoying your cruise with Dailyites.

4 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good afternoon everyone.

Terri

Terri, I'm glad you are in Jacksonville.  Have a safe flight tomorrow.  I'm sorry yesterday was difficult.  Rest and enjoy a relaxing cruise.

1 hour ago, dfish said:

I wish we could!  Like Lenda we have a tour that is 4 hours and starts at 12:30.

We are all checked in at our hotel and I had a swim in the pool.  That felt so, so good!!  Linner was good as well.  We had the Brussels sprouts starter and I had lobster tacos and a cucumber jalapeño margarita.  I had to try it.

Debbie, the lobster taco sounds good.  You're braver than I am with the cucumber jalapeño margarita.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 15