Quality of food since COVID restart (esp Windjammer)?

I’ve seen a few posts complaining that food has deteriorated since the restart but then there will always be those who enjoy complaining whatever the truth of the situation.

In general what are people’s opinions? Is there a noticeable change?

I’m sailing on Mariner but I suspect any change will be fleetwide if real.

Edited by cruisenewb1

4 minutes ago, cruisenewb1 said:

I’ve seen a few posts complaining that food has deteriorated since the restart but then there will always be those who enjoy complaining whatever the truth of the situation.

I’m sailing on Mariner but I suspect any change will be fleetwide if occurring.

There are many posts on this subject.  Doing a search and reading will probably get you a quicker answer especially if you limit to the mariner.

• Thanks 2

We are currently on Adventure (2nd leg of a B2B) and the food in the WJ has been consistently outstanding. We only tried the MDR one night, and have had all our meals in the WJ ever since.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

I summed up the responses you'll get:

It's great.

It's no better or worse.

It's terrible.

Be honest....your summation comes from the past 14 threads on the subject (in the past 2 weeks) doesn't it?

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have cruised on RCI 35 times since the restart, beginning with Adventure in July 2021 and most recently on Icon last week. Food in the MDR and WJ has been consistently good to very good on every cruise, while food in specialty restaurants has been very good to excellent (Hooked on Icon last week was outstanding).

14 hours ago, orville99 said:

We are currently on Adventure (2nd leg of a B2B) and the food in the WJ has been consistently outstanding. We only tried the MDR one night, and have had all our meals in the WJ ever since.

We just got off the Adventure on Saturday and totally agree, we ate at the Main Dining room only twice, WJ was so much better. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cruisenewb1 said:

We've sailed several ships since reopening, and I'd say the highlights are: 

- Most MDR food is good, but not great.  

- Selections are reduced in the MDR.  

- Vegetables are skimpy in the MDR.  

- Only one lobster per customer (without extra cost).  

- Windjammer salads are fresh and plentiful. 

- Vegetables are plentiful in the Windjammer.  

- Grilled chicken thighs in Windjammer's lunch are always a winner -- different marinade each day. 

- Windjammer always has burgers, hot dogs and fries -- lunch and dinner. 

- Windjammer offers steaks or chops each evening, and they are superior to the MDR's. 

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 3

On 2/12/2024 at 9:53 AM, cruisenewb1 said:

I’m sailing on Mariner but I suspect any change will be fleetwide if real.

Windjammer food was totally changed from our last cruise.  Love a salad with a scoop of shrimp for lunch.  The salad was minimal in variety and style. There was no shrimp on any day of the 7 we were onboard.  The food was best described  as ordinary.  I was very disappointed.

Covid restart??  That was a while back.  I think the general comments on food dipped then recovered a bit.

Just go read recent reviews on the ship you are sailing.  Focus on the food that you want to enjoy - buffet, MDR, or specialty dining.

Currently on Symphony this week.  Long time cruiser on RCCL and on Celebrity.  The food across the board has been outstanding and so has the service.  It might be ship-dependent but this ship makes the cut as one of the best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We cruised early February and the MDR food was definitely better than our last few cruises.  
I believe a few cruises ago we rated MDR food a 4 on the survey, the first time ever so low.

However, for last week we raised that review to 8 I believe.  

Our biggest negative in MDR was they are still just understaffed.  Our waiter was good, the asst though was covering too many tables and therefore, rarely there.  I am not sure I said more than a few words to asst waiter all week, as I didn’t see him.

1 hour ago, Eddie Wilson said:

We cruised early February and the MDR food was definitely better than our last few cruises.  
I believe a few cruises ago we rated MDR food a 4 on the survey, the first time ever so low.

However, for last week we raised that review to 8 I believe.  

Our biggest negative in MDR was they are still just understaffed.  Our waiter was good, the asst though was covering too many tables and therefore, rarely there.  I am not sure I said more than a few words to asst waiter all week, as I didn’t see him.

What was the ship?