The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday February 21st, 2024

kazu

Today is Card Reading Day, International Mother Language Day, and Language Day

The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return. It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale. - Arthur C. Clarke

Meal Suggestion for today - Slow Cooker Ground Beef Ragu
Drink of the Day - Painkiller
Wine of the Day - Carol Shelton 2020 Albini Zinfandel (Russian River Valley)
Destination of the Day - Penang, Malaysia 

Today in History:
1173 Pope Alexander III canonizes Thomas Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury
1613 Michael Romanov, son of Patriarch of Moscow, elected first Russian Tsar of the house of Romanov
1804 1st locomotive, Richard Trevithick's, runs for the 1st time, along the tramway of the Penydarren Ironworks in Merthyr Tydfil, Wales

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Cozumel, Quintana Roo Mexico, Riviera Maya 08:00 - 17:00 

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Hilo, Hawaii Island eta 02-23

Nieuw Amsterdam

Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles 08:00 - 17:00 

Nieuw Statendam

Ocho Rios, Jamaica 08:00 - 16:00 

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Puerto Montt, Chile eta 02-22

Rotterdam

Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles - 17:00 

Zaandam

Castries, St Lucia Island 08:00 - 17:00 

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Auckland, New Zealand 7:00-17:00 

Volendam

Port Lincoln, South Australia 08:00 - 17:00 

Westerdam

Ishigakijima Island, Sakishima-Yaeyama, Japan Okinawa 09:00 - 18:00 

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Ishigakijima Island, Sakishima-Yaeyama, Japan Okinawa eta 02-23

• Like 17
  • Thanks 21

Good morning from a wet and windy 46°F North East England.

Thank you to all of the regulars who supply all of the daily lists.

Laughable quote.

Today's food sounds interesting.

We have never been to today's port.

Best wishes for good health to all dailyites.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Screenshot_20240221_111755.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

10 minutes ago, seagarsmoker said:

My new job is going well. 

That’s great news!  👍 

8 minutes ago, ski ww said:

The Romanov's had a good run, but they had a bloody end.

Welcome to the Daily, Allan 🙂 

• Like 19

12 minutes ago, seagarsmoker said:

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

It is chilly here again today. Only 40 degrees. 

I hope everyone here has a wonderful day!  

20231104_061629.jpg

Good job news and nice photo.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Happy Hump Day.

Thanks for the report, the maps and all the contributors.

We've got a bit of a "heat wave" (for February).  It's supposed to be a sunny 6°C (43°F) this afternoon, normal is -1°C (30°F).  I know it won't last long, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

I won't be reading cards today and the only language I speak is English.  I know a bit of French and German, but not enough.

Amusing quote.

The meal sounds good.  Not sure about the drink and I'll pass on the wine.

I haven't been to today's port.

Prayers for our world.

Have a good day.  Stay safe.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Dixie, Debbie, and Laura for the Hump Day Daily.  I'll celebrate (vicariously) Mother Language Day and pass on the other two days.  I think most bathroom scales now do automatic zeroing.  I have not been to Penang.

I will definitely celebrate the first locomotive.

I won't come anywhere near cooking the meal.  My alternative (which I enjoyed but won't be cooking) is Classic Caesar Salad, Prime Rib of Beef Au Jus, and Mango Blueberry Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam February 21, 2019. 

dishes21.jpg

A cold morning but it should get nice later in the day. 

Did not sleep well last night.  Great until 2AM but then got a nosebleed that did not really allow me to sleep until I got out of bed.

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7

Good morning friends!  Cold today at 32F but will be sunny and 64 for a high so not bad at all.  Dh scheduled an HVAC company for this afternoon to come out to check one of our AC's that started struggling last fall.  There's a good chance it needs a new coil so that will be looked at and replaced if necessary.  Then the appliance repair people finally got their act together and were able to schedule two technicians come out this morning to remove our oven/microwave unit from the cabinet and replace the turntable motor in the microwave.  Remember a little over a year ago they had to do that to replace the heating element in the oven.  These combination units are big and bulky, and very difficult to repair.  I've never lived in a home long enough to need repairs to appliances before!  Anyway this will keep us busy for sure.  Thankfully, I was able to apply a sale price to a future cruise booking on Monday which saved me thousands of dollars and now we can afford to pay for the new coil for the AC.  Win, win!😀

Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for posting the Daily and Fleet Report as well as the fleet location maps for Rich @richwmn.  I enjoy giving and receiving cards so will honor that by sending my friend Sandy a card to let her know we are thinking of her.  Mother language day and just plain language day is welcome.  I'll be interested in hearing about the ground beef ragu.  No thanks on the Painkiller or red wine. 🍷 I guess we can reflect on the archbishop, Tsar and locomotive.  🤷‍♀️Thank you to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Laura @Lcubed for the reporting today.

Prayers were said and hopefully heard for my dear family and friends, those here on the Daily who are suffering pain and illness, awaiting procedures and feeling loss, stress and worry. 🙏  I'm thankful for the good news from everyone and love hearing about the cruises everyone is taking or has planned.  🚢  It's good to hear @seagarsmoker is enjoying the new job!  Sharon @Sharon in AZ I'm glad to hear Craig is recovered from Covid and I understand how he could say he is wary of more cruising after catching it again.  Sounds like my DH sometimes!  I hope we hear from Annie @marshhawk today though she must have her hands full.  Vanessa @JazzyV I hope you are feeling a bit less pain and getting a little more sleep.  Good luck to you tomorrow and thank you for your postings each day! 

The port this morning is Penang, Malaysia.  This was the port on Feb. 14, 2023.  Penang Island is where Georgetown is located.  We have an Ann @cat shepard Daily posting on that date because I was cruising and Rich @richwmn was on his World cruise.  I have not been to Penang before and have no photos.  Here is your link:

Hoping you all have a great day, keep safe and stay well.  

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good today, I’m not sure what I’m making although I’m having scrapple for breakfast.  This morning my state refund posted so that’s good news. The pet sitter confirmed that she can watch the kids for August and November.  The challenge for November is that Jet Blue isn’t showing the usual return flight times on a Sunday, they have them for Monday so I’m debating on spending a night in FLL post cruise.  @seagarsmoker excellent news on the job.
I hope everyone has a good day today 

image.png.71813a90486687559a72a5a0159d0d17.png

• Like 23
  • Haha 8

Happy Hump Day, everyone !!!  Thanks Rich, Roy, Vanessa, Dixie, Laura, Debbie/Eva for your dedication.

Nice collection of days - Different languages are to be appreciated - the more we can speak/ understand, the better 👍. LOL on today’s quote.  I’ll pass on the ground beef meal.  I made mussel tacos last night and have lots of left over mussels so there will be some concoction involving them tonight, I think.  Need to wait on the wine to see if it is white or not 😉   Significant days in history. 

IMG_2159.jpeg.bb9a6a702684a21c864cad4dd453fee4.jpeg

Bitter cold this morning and I have to go out in a it for my doctor’s appointment - ugh.  I wish she would talk about more than one thing (anyone else hate that?) like her predecessor did.  Oh well.  Farewell planned today for my Financial Planner so I will nip there after to wish him a very happy retirement.  I’ve known him for years - used to work with him in my past FP life.  He was a huge help when I lost Jose and I will miss him.

IMG_2161.thumb.jpeg.8edb9dd49cc81729bc40b7996db20d37.jpeg

@rafinmd yum on your alternate meal (especially the prime rib).  Sorry to hear about your poor sleep last night 😔 

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries & those that need them. 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_1578.jpeg.c480e4cae3255ef7cfd12e226fcd4102.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Haha 13

40 minutes ago, seagarsmoker said:

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

It is chilly here again today. Only 40 degrees. 

I hope everyone here has a wonderful day!  

20231104_061629.jpg

Beautiful picture - where is that?

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP

Marshhawk and DH Chuck hopefully ok 

SusieKIslandGirl’s loss of her grade school friend

RMLincoln’s DSIL hospitalized, going to Rehab, but with treatments

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness; trouble walking

2 policemen/1 fireman killed in Minnesota responding to a domestic dispute 

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; loss of US military members

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Seasick Sailor’s friend Ron with multiple medical issues

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues, medication allergy

Tana with pulmonary issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, out of ICU!

RMLincoln’s DH Richard dealing day to day after his eye procedure 

Lcubed covering the Daily wine  

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

3 days for Cruise Suzy (Nieuw Amsterdam Feb 24 to Mar 2) 7d Western Caribbean

Ottahand7 (Eurodam to Feb 24 B2B2B Caribbean), Mister 67 (Celebrity Equinox to Feb 24) 9d Aruba, Curacao & Cayman Cruise, Cat Shepard (Norwegian Escape to Feb 24) 7d Caribbean: Great Stirrup Cay & Dominican Republic, Mr. Boston (Rotterdam to Feb 25) 9d Southern Caribbean Seafarer, Nickelpenny (Zaandam to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer, USN59-79(Seabourn Sojourn to Mar 24) 33d Sydney to Taipei + 17d in Taipei, Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl(Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 22
  • Thanks 15

Painkiller cocktail:

The Painkiller is a popular tropical cocktail. It was created in the 1970s at the Soggy Dollar Bar in the British Virgin Islands. It's a fun and fruity mix of pineapple, orange, coconut, and a bold rum. Perfect for a sunny day on the beach or a casual afternoon in the backyard, the recipe is simple, and the drink is delicious.

Ingredients
4 oz. pineapple juice
2 oz. dark rum
1 oz. fresh-squeezed orange juice
1 oz. cream of coconut
ice
freshly grated nutmeg
halved orange slice, for garnish

Directions
Step 1Fill a cocktail shaker with ice, then add pineapple juice, rum, orange juice, and cream of coconut. Shake until cold, about 15 to 30 seconds.
Step 2Pour into a glass filled with ice and grate nutmeg on top. Garnish with orange slice and serve.

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 7.04.13 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 17

Good Wednesday morning. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Cold but sunny today. The snow is slowly melting away. 

Working on grading assignments all day and seeing clients this afternoon. Made some time to get my hair done. Dreaming of my upcoming cruise in October. Wishing it were spring now. Spring fever has certainly set in for me. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating.

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Hump day :) Cute Cats, Funny Cats, Funny Animals, Cute Animals, Animal ...

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

I'll celebrate languages  - the more, the merrier! Don't know what card reading day is - are we recognizing the magnetic strip on the back of credit & debit cards (being replaced by a chip) or Tarot cards or special occasion cards?

Not sure about the quote, yes to the meal, pass on the drink (coconut), maybe try the wine, not been to the port.

Several great days in history.

New garbage disposal installed yesterday. Of course the guy showed up while I was doing a training session, so I wasn't able to see what he put in and by the time he let me know he was finished, he'd cleaned up his mess and taken the box out. He says it's the same as what I had (same brand and model), but builder grade so there are no labels to confirm. As long as it works, I suppose it doesn't matter, but I would like to know it's at least as strong as what I had. He did show me a pipe that needs to be adjusted because it's angled up instead of down, but wanted $75 on top of what I already paid. Nope, not happening. So I have to call the service company, he says they won't cover it, but I'll call anyway.

Currently 57° headed to 81° with Monday forecasted at 86°- I think Mother Nature needs to look at a calendar - it's still February. 

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 

20240221_055319.thumb.jpg.9dd347185024773ad461d37d9f97225f.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 27

Another chilly morning at 48F/9c. Today we have to drop the van off at the dealer for another recall which they say will take 5 hrs. I guess I will have time to continue working on taxes. Sorry @kazu but the wine is a red. I might try it just to find out what a "lovely strap of leather" tastes like.

Carol Shelton 2020 Albini Zinfandel (Russian River Valley)

Priced on line for $40

WINEMAKER NOTES:

Inky color, super concentrated nose of blackberry fruit and peppery spice, with a lovely strap of leather that follows the creamy oak all the way thru the long and vivid finish—bright acidity keeps the berries singing well into the zingy finish. This will pair so well with rare steak and tomato-sauced pasta!

Professional

With the grip of a Nebbiolo and the herbal spice of a Sangiovese, this captivating wine brings an Italian flair to California Zinfandel. Moderate tannins brace vivid raspberry, black cherry and cranberry flavors while fresh thyme and dried-grass notes add complexity. Best from 2025–2032. — Jim Gordon

• Like 18
  • Thanks 14

Good morning from Castries St Lucia. Interesting days today. Again I think I will pass on the food and drinks. I have never been to the port. During World History in high school I became fascinated by the Romanovs. Humorous quote. 

IMG_4567.thumb.jpeg.586a92de4d941e630e1610057880caa2.jpeg

I went on an excursion yesterday around Sint Maarten ending at Maho Beach. No big planes took off but an AA from Miami landed so I did achieve my goal of seeing a plane land so close to my head!!  Dinner was a roasted suckling pig, fantastic andouille sausage,  breaded shrimp and other delicious dishes. This was in the Lido which I prefer as I can get a little bit of this and a little bit of that. 

IMG_4560.thumb.jpeg.4e75ddaa7c8206ad734c779e4827197f.jpeg

IMG_4540.thumb.jpeg.497ecd3303740a5f87e100a3d4026bb6.jpeg

IMG_4444.thumb.jpeg.3216decf1a09cd2b3db3beb89016e7fc.jpeg

IMG_4425.thumb.jpeg.175fc872d0196e11eb91f6353c1c25a8.jpeg

Getting ready to head off on another excursion which will end at a beach 👍

@Sharon in AZ so sorry to hear about the crappy ending to your cruise. @seagarsmoker I am glad your job is going well!  Thoughts for all and I will raise a glass to those celebrating!!

have a great day everyone!!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

Good morning everyone from sunny Aruba.  Our plans are to visit the butterfly farm, DH has to avoid getting sun so Eagle Beach is out, sadly.  The times of our visits to the ports has been altered somewhat but it’s all good in the end.  Thanks for the daily report, an interesting collection of days to celebrate today, think I’ll skip card reading day though.  The quote is funny.  I think I’ll pass on the meal but say yes to the drink suggestion.  I haven’t been to the port.  Prayers for those on our prayer list and to those who need them.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today! 🥂

• Like 29

Good morning, everyone!

It is a balmy start to the day here in mid-MIchigan.  We are at 36F and expect to get up to 50F, but there is a chance of heavy rain.  That should take care of what snow is still on the ground.  I'm heading back to the gym today and hope that helps with what ails me.  Otherwise we have nothing on the agenda.  

Today's meal is really just a meat sauce.  What we traditionally thought of as spaghetti sauce is one type of ragu.  I remember mom's spaghetti sauce cooking slowly on the stove all afternoon.  She always cooked long and slow to help the flavors blend.  https://www.skinnytaste.com/slow-cooker-beef-ragu/

beefragu1.thumb.jpg.12d641ab9f1f150f89c5182dca61b53d.jpg

This one is kind of different with the addition of heavy cream to the sauce.  It also does not call for the usual tomatoes, just tomato paste.  https://therecipecritic.com/slow-cooker-ragu/

beefragu2.thumb.jpg.3c142ceeb5a740548d606b2aaed596f9.jpg

One nice thing about these sauces is that  you can make a huge amount and freeze some for later.  I do that with a lot of things.  You can also put this sauce on more non traditional items like mashed potatoes, zoodles, spaghetti squash, etc.  

This last recipe is different as it uses flank steak that is cooked long and slow and then shredded instead of ground meat.  I thought that interesting.  https://pinchofyum.com/slow-cooker-beef-ragu-with-pappardelle

beefragu3.thumb.jpg.41a1b8d7aed5288e1a78d1a5cf3678d6.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 13