Fractured leg on Beyond; Need Disembarkation Information

Fell on the ship today…medical was very good…sent me to an orthopedic doctor here on St. Thomas.  He confirmed fracture…put another cast on and said I would be able to wait for surgery until I get home in four days.  I certainly indeed to ask these questions onboard…but I’ve read on people being told one thing onboard and finding out it was different in the terminal.

My questions are, to anyone who has been in this situation…how far will the ship wheel you in their wheelchair?  I can’t walk.  The doctor gave me crutches but I can’t go more than a few feet.  Can they go as far as to a taxi?  And we’re parked at Park n Go…I’m going to call them to say I can’t get in their shuttle…can’t get up those three steps…so I guess I’ll have to take a taxi from the terminal to Park n Go.

Really looking for information from anyone who has unexpectedly wound up in a wheelchair and can share their disembarkation story.

• Like 2

This is Fort Lauderdale? Their wheelchair service will take you all the way to the taxi stand. I use their wheelchair services and very cruise.

have Guest relations tell you where to meet the wheelchair pushers. They used to put it on the form, but now doesn’t seem to be printed as regularly as it once once. You go to that place, probably sushi, give them your name in room number and wait for a wheelchair pusher.

ship’s staff will take you to the elevator and hand you over to terminal staff who will take you the rest of the way. Tell them you need a porter and they will hail one. Then they will help you collect your luggage, pass through immigration and get you to the taxi stand. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Fell on the ship today…medical was very good…sent me to an orthopedic doctor here on St. Thomas.  He confirmed fracture…put another cast on and said I would be able to wait for surgery until I get home in four days.  I certainly indeed to ask these questions onboard…but I’ve read on people being told one thing onboard and finding out it was different in the terminal.

My questions are, to anyone who has been in this situation…how far will the ship wheel you in their wheelchair?  I can’t walk.  The doctor gave me crutches but I can’t go more than a few feet.  Can they go as far as to a taxi?  And we’re parked at Park n Go…I’m going to call them to say I can’t get in their shuttle…can’t get up those three steps…so I guess I’ll have to take a taxi from the terminal to Park n Go.

Really looking for information from anyone who has unexpectedly wound up in a wheelchair and can share their disembarkation story.

Helen, so sorry this has happened to you.

Firstly have they given you a wheelchair to use on board? They do have some. They take a bit of pushing so may be difficult if your companion is not in good health. If this has not been offered to you speak to guest services. If your companion cannot push you (or you are travelling solo) then speak to guest relations and ask them if they can arrange someone to push you at key points of the day (for example down to MDR breakfast in the morning or to dinner in the evening). My experience of being temporarily wheelchair bound was that people often don’t notice you have a problem but are delighted to go above and beyond once they are alerted to your issues! Don’t be afraid to ask for help.

I have disembarked using a wheelchair once in Fort Lauderdale. You will be given instructions on board where to meet. We were told to simply go to the Retreat Lounge as we were in a suite. One thing that was suggested to us and I would recommend is to leave it later to disembark then you are less likely to be kept waiting anywhere including the taxi stand. Strongly suggest you take pain killers in the morning as you will put pressure on your back, shoulders and arms as well as your leg manoeuvring from chair to taxi to car…

Sincere best wishes for a speedy recovery.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Sorry you had this issue..

Glad  Celeb has been helpful..

I hope the remainder of the cruise goes ok and you are able to disembark and reach Park n Go without too much difficilty. How far must you travel from there?  

FEEL BETTER SOON!:classic_smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I will doubt that they will use the suite lounge on beyond, but that COULD be the place they tell you to go for wheelchair assistance. I’m thinking that there will be someplace closer to the actual exit.

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

I will doubt that they will use the suite lounge on beyond, but that COULD be the place they tell you to go for wheelchair assistance. I’m thinking that there will be someplace closer to the actual exit.

I think we were only told to use the suite lounge because we were in a RS. I don’t think any other wheel chair users accessed it.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone!!  Yes, X gave me a wheelchair to use.  I have crutches the doctor gave me to manage around the cabin.  Boy…that little lip into the bathroom…that I never gave a thought to!!!  Thank goodness I’m not in any pain except my underarm/side breast area doesn’t like the crutches.  I was going to call Guest Services today and say I needed a wheelchair to get off…I’ve just experienced and read about people being told one thing on board…and once off it’s a whole other story.  I knew there would be some experts here!!  I’m also going to call Park ‘n’ Go today and tell them I can’t get up the three tall steps of their shuttle and I’ll need to take a taxi and once I get there could they fetch our car.  We have a 6 hour drive home…I’ll stretch out in the back seat of the Tahoe…and try to not have a heart attack at my husband’s driving….

• Like 14

9 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Oh no!! I'm so sorry you fell and were injured. Not the cruise experience anyone is hoping for. 😞

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Spouse got a small fracture while on a ship's excursion so I speak from experience. My suggestion would be to obtain a digital copy of the x-rays. We emailed the x-rays the ship took to our doctor at home for a second opinion. We wanted to ensure the current treatment was appropriate and that we did not have to rush home for treatment. This will also help expedite information if the medical software program in St. Thomas is not compatible with the one your US health providers use. The ship will provide wheelchair assist to the taxi stand but ask for this ahead of time. We were offered the option to have meals delivered to our room if spouse's mobility was too hard to manage. Not sure if this was because we were in a suite but you can talk to the maitre'd (we were ok going to dining room-just needed extra time to get there). Good luck.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Would it make sense for your husband to get the car and come back for you?  That way you don't have to transfer twice (cab, then car).  

Also - stopping at rest stops without crutches or a wheelchair?  

I purchased a relatively cheap (less than $150) wheelchair from a company called Drive (via Amazon).  Since you might need one after surgery too, maybe pick one up on the way home? 

Good luck to you. Sorry to hear about this.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Oh Helen I am so sorry to hear about your accident.  I am thankful it was not worse, though.  I also think your DH should leave you at the terminal and get your car to pick you up.  Good luck with everything and let us know how it all goes on Dani's thread.  Celebrity Beyond is a wonderful ship!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I’m also very sorry this happened to you and glad that so far you’re getting the assistance that you need. Just a tip for the crutches, wrap and tie a thick towel around the bar at the top to make a bit of a cushion for your armpits…might help relieve some of that soreness. Good luck and hope you can enjoy your remaining days on the ship. 

Edited by Barwick Cruiser
  • Thanks 1

There is a front passenger seat in the vans.  You should be able to use that as you can access it thru that side door and not go thru the back door.  It should be no different than setting into your Tahoe.   It would involve getting up that one step and then sitting onto  the seat.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, chemmo said:

Strongly suggest you take pain killers in the morning as you will put pressure on your back, shoulders and arms as well as your leg manoeuvring from chair to taxi to car…

This is a timely suggestion!  Even though my leg isn’t giving me any pain…my shoulders and arms are today…and I have large purple bruises on each inner arm…

• Like 3

Oh my sorry to hear about your accident.  No advice but the suggestion of having DH get the car and come back for you sound like a good idea.  Let us know how you make out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, miched said:

There is a front passenger seat in the vans.  You should be able to use that as you can access it thru that side door and not go thru the back door.  It should be no different than setting into your Tahoe.   It would involve getting up that one step and then sitting onto  the seat.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Thank you so much for that information!!  Of course, now that I think about it I’ve seen the passenger seat…it’s just generally obscured by excess luggage…😊  Being able to take the Park n Go shuttle would certainly be easier.  I just called Guest Services and the lady I spoke to didn’t sound like she was very familiar with the process…so I’m going to have DH go in person.

As an aside…we’re in port at Antigua today.  There is a radio station playing music for the pier…currently playing that island favorite…

Brick House by the Commodores…

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, akcruz said:

Oh my sorry to hear about your accident.  No advice but the suggestion of having DH get the car and come back for you sound like a good idea.  Let us know how you make out.

I think I’ll see if I can get the front passenger seat on the shuttle.  That would be less confusing at Port Everglades where DH would have to come back thru port security…and I don’t want to be by myself…

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

As an aside…we’re in port at Antigua today.  There is a radio station playing music for the pier…currently playing that island favorite…

Brick House by the Commodores…

First of all, I'm so sorry to read about your accident and hope you recover quickly! Laughing about the music in Antigua. We were on Beyond April 12-22 and as we walked into port there, they were playing "God Bless the USA" - a song we love but not exactly what we expected to hear on a Caribbean island! I hope your stateroom has not suffered from creaking and popping? 

Edited by RK-NC

Just a note about disembarkation via wheelchair in FLL.  It is a 2 step process, with a handover to a port person at the elevator in the terminal. Here's where we ran into trouble. There was a line of about 20 passengers in wheelchairs lined up waiting for porters. We waited about a half hour.  This will vary because of lots of variables; you might have no wait. But being prepared mentally for a wait might help.  My mom was in the wheelchair, and I was more than capable of maneuvering the chair, but the security guard wouldn't allow it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

This is a timely suggestion!  Even though my leg isn’t giving me any pain…my shoulders and arms are today…and I have large purple bruises on each inner arm…

So sorry to hear about your accident.  I wish you safe travels home.  Can you somehow wrap a towel around the top of crutches to cushion the area so it does not make you any more sore?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I think I’ll see if I can get the front passenger seat on the shuttle.  That would be less confusing at Port Everglades where DH would have to come back thru port security…and I don’t want to be by myself…

The drivers are very accommodating.     I think that they will be able to assist you.   It wouldn’t be their first time dealing with that situation.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Thanks 1