The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday July 22nd, 2024

31 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Lovely photos Sandi.

Hopefully some day we will have the opportunity to see you both and be your hosts for the day.

This first picture is the beach at South Shields which  is beautiful and behind you can see the pier of the River Tyne and also Tynemouth castle that Sandi mentioned and the cruise terminal is a couple of miles up river.

Picture 2 is Bamburgh Castle which overlooks the North sea.

Picture 3 is Seahouses with the Farne Islands in the background.

Both are around 35 miles from the port.

There is only the shopping outlet near the port and you need tours to see the various attractions.

Tours of Hadrian's wall a Roman wall is interesting.

Alnwick castle and gardens is around 30 miles away.

The city of Durham and the castle and cathedral are well worth seeing on tours.

Screenshot_20240722_120130.jpg

Screenshot_20240722_114937.jpg

Screenshot_20240722_120051.jpg

Graham, thank you for sharing these! I appreciate your ideas!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

We visited Newcastle on Tyne on the Rotterdam in 2009. It is definitely the city of bridges. Here are just a couple of photos, one of some of the bridges and a couple of some sculptures around town.

Also, when we are home, we travel vicariously by reviewing the pix from over the years of places we have visited on that day. Today, I find that in 2013 we visited Odessa, Ukraine. It was an attractive city at that time. Sad.....

Picture072.thumb.jpg.78cfe8af22f19fa6e0e643ef2dc2b862.jpg

Picture075.thumb.jpg.594d974b048be1c4be522a7f1ce826da.jpg

Picture082.thumb.jpg.42060bf752b8da436be83da8261efe1a.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 7

Posted (edited)

Thanks for your Newcastle pix @grapau27 and suggestions. We enjoyed touring Alnwick castle!  I’d love to return to your region and see more!  And you and Pauline!  

Cloudy today and mid80s, so not too comfortable out. I have a full agenda today starting early with a Newcomers gathering, then I’ll meet up with a new sacred circle group and learn what that’s like. There’s jazz this afternoon, an early dinner before a book group call with my Maryland group to discuss Lessons in Chemistry. 

Blessings to all in need. And our country, your country and the war zones.

Cheers to the celebrating 🌈 Life is Good! 
Smooth travels to all away.

A good recovery day to Sandi and Dennis. Smooth consult for Roy, and infusion day for Chuck… I hope the edema is reducing; strength for Annie and Terri and Terry!  
@kazuJacqui, I’m sorry you are feeling unwell; if that doesn’t resolve soon please alert someone. Post-surgery recovery could have complications, caught earlier the better. Gentle hugs! 

Gotta get moving forward!  
Wishing you each a blessed day! Stay cool enough, dry enough or wet enough, safe and well!
Thanks all for being here. You’re my Team!  Maureen 

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

I’m confused about the difference between casual pi day 22/7 and pi day 3/14.

Putting on my teacher hat….Pi denotes the relationship between a circle’s circumference and its diameter and is denoted by the fraction 22/7 which calculates approximately to 3.14. 

The difference in celebration dates is based on the date format used in the country. Pi Day is celebrated on March 14 because the first three digits of the date in US format (3/14) correspond to the first three digits of pi (3.14). People in countries that write their dates in the date/ month format celebrate Pi Approximation or Casual Pi Day on 22 July or 22/7. (BTW, Einstein’s birthday is March 14.)

I’ll eat pie on both days.IMG_0697.jpeg.1ff83f2c03e6e97ae31954a7573a59a4.jpeg

Edited by 0106
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 14

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

I thought Casual Pi was Cobbler.

Good Monday Morning Dailyites!  it's cloudy 71 degrees.  Very Humid. But cool enough that the air is not on. I think I need to get a new dehumidifier.

Yes, I do realize I talk about air pollution, planning the trips you have to take so that you dont drive all over, and I do realize that that is what most of you do anyway. And I complained last night, and then sat down and watched car races.  

Yesterday was be someone day, I was just being my normal nuts.

@Cruzin TerriWhen my brain gets into the "what if" cycle, I remind myself that I am not in charge, there is a reason for everything, try to figure out if it's Karma and/or a time to learn something, and accept that sometimes life is not all smiles and sunshine, and turn it over to my higher power. That and it would be nice to have someone come sit with the DH so that I can have a little me time.  LOL.  I get some on Friday, when DH has a zoom meeting with one of his docs, and I will be having  a vein appointment. Take care. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b7840ebe6ad41329fe54d25e658847fc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2d9eb8a186e61403ef040dbc98553ee7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e1f607e84eada9d02c82d463394a12ea.jpeg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 3

@rafinmdI always enjoy reading the meal that you had on what day, and where.  You mention crisps a lot so last year when we were on Nieuw Amsterdam every time they had crisp I thought of you and ordered one-found this picture while going through last years cruise pictures-

image.thumb.jpeg.8e4ac1abf3843db91f190d485511789a.jpeg

Have a great day!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

I suppose that on cruise ships there would also be one or two Formal Pi days in each sailing.

I like coleslaw but don't eat raw cruciferous vegetables too frequently. No on the drink (clam juice). Along with Riesling and Grüner Veltliner, Blaufränkisch grows extremely well in the Finger Lakes, as does the other red grape of Austria, Zweigelt. Blaufränkisch is especially associated with Burgenland, on the border with Hungary, and is great with many Hungarian dishes. A few years ago the wine columnist at the NYT waxed rhapsodic about a Long Island Blaufränkisch and seemed to think that it was the only one produced in North America. I wrote to him saying that many Finger Lakes producers use the German name, Lemberger.

Today we'll try the 2020 Nouveau Style from Keuka Spring, $19.99. "Our hand-picked, dry, limited-production, Blaufränkisch Nouveau Style is a new wine for a new year that captures the creative spirit of our winemaking team. Between a traditional rose and a classic red wine in color, it is designed for early consumption, delighting your palate with its bright cranberry and raspberry notes and its delicate structure." It receives an initial carbonic maceration of whole clusters before being de-stemmed and crushed.

stairlift.jpg.8b2b1290140a744c368c5be22dd4cf83.jpg

• Like 23
  • Haha 12

@kazu I am sorry you are feeling unwell.  Rest and take care of yourself.   Prayers for your healing.  

@smitty34877 I am thinking of you today as your DB leaves.  I am sure both you and Tana will miss him.  

@tjcox9 thanks for the port photos.  

@marshhawk I wish you could get a break. I hope your appointment and Chuck's go well.  Thanks for sharing your happy photos and the crisp. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Greetings from Canada!

We arrived yesterday evening so I only was able to skim the Daily on Saturday and Sunday due to our travels. 

Looking forward to a few weeks of relaxation by the lake - 

DSC_0025.thumb.JPG.10dbb54909c5dede5b9d6a4b417a7ad0.JPG

• Like 33

Good morning Dailyites. 

Looks like scattered rain over the next few days and mid 80's. Rain is good.

@kazu I am thinking good thoughts and sending quick recovery prayers.

I sent my sister a card that says "You are brave, traveling through this. It is so inspiring to see you overcoming, face-forward, heart open, knowing this will not last forever".

@StLouisCruisers so thankful you and Dennis made it home safely. What a way to end a cruise!

@smitty34877 That was so sweet of your brother to come help. I hope Tana has a brighter day.

@marshhawk Annie, jeez! You are a strong person. Hang in there!!

@rafinmd Roy, hoping your check up is perfect!

Thanks for those posting pictures. What a lovely area. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we all cruised to visit Pauline and Graham!! 

Thankfully, we have no appointments or commitments today. I made a huge pork roast yesterday. I'll shred some and make BBQ pork sandwiches and I have my own coleslaw recipe which Allen loves.

Sending you all blessings for a positive, healthy, thoughtful day.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Overhead Fred said:

Greetings from Canada!

We arrived yesterday evening so I only was able to skim the Daily on Saturday and Sunday due to our travels. 

Is that your new snorkel gear?

• Like 4
  • Haha 20

Morning folks. We are pretty back on regular schedule but it will be busier as one of our granddaughters came home with us yesterday (8yo) for the week. Next Saturday we will meet her parents half way in Tallahassee to return. A typical 8 year old who needs constant entertaining. So she keeps us busy. She is also very fussy in what she eats so our meals are dictated by her taste. Not my idea. I was brought up eat what’s on the table or go hungry.

Pesticide control comes this afternoon and tomorrow will have my dermatology appointment.

Upon return home saw the rain gauge overflowing and in discussion with neighbor we had over 8 inches of rain the last few days. So the sprinkler system is getting a $$ break.

That’s what’s happening at our house. Have a great week and thanks for the post. Bruce

image.jpeg.d464f8c96f14da97da322c5a64ac9894.jpeg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

Greetings from Canada!

What is the Loch Ness monster doing in Canada?

• Like 6
  • Haha 20

4 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites. 

Looks like scattered rain over the next few days and mid 80's. Rain is good.

@kazu I am thinking good thoughts and sending quick recovery prayers.

I sent my sister a card that says "You are brave, traveling through this. It is so inspiring to see you overcoming, face-forward, heart open, knowing this will not last forever".

@StLouisCruisers so thankful you and Dennis made it home safely. What a way to end a cruise!

@smitty34877 That was so sweet of your brother to come help. I hope Tana has a brighter day.

@marshhawk Annie, jeez! You are a strong person. Hang in there!!

@rafinmd Roy, hoping your check up is perfect!

Thanks for those posting pictures. What a lovely area. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we all cruised to visit Pauline and Graham!! 

Thankfully, we have no appointments or commitments today. I made a huge pork roast yesterday. I'll shred some and make BBQ pork sandwiches and I have my own coleslaw recipe which Allen loves.

Sending you all blessings for a positive, healthy, thoughtful day.

Thank you for your nice comments Joy.

Hopefully some day we all might meet on a HAL ship.

• Like 19

Good Monday morning. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Not much happening here. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Monday Cat - Imgflip

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Good morning.  Checking in with a quick post - seems all I can do.  Finally got 7 hours sleep the night before last but alas not again, last night.  Feeling unwell and very tired.  But sutures are holding and it will all pass (I hope).  It’s hard for me to keep up with much right now, so please forgive me missing cares and celebrations.  Prayers to all in need.

Glad to hear from you and hope you get feeling better very soon.

Susan

• Like 19

Good morning from a partly sunny central Texas.  I'm not sure if we got any rain after we went to bed last night.  It is going to be a warmer day, and is currently 77F and feels like 77F.  The weather app says there is a 1mph wind from the south, but the flag across the street says it's a bit stronger and from the north.  I guess that's Texas weather in a nutshell.  We have 97% humidity with a dew pint of 76F.  The predicted high is 84F with a chance of late afternoon and early evening thunderstorms.  Another change in the long range forecast is the expected rain has moved to Friday through Sunday, but that will probably change again.  

I should probably make a pie for Casual Pi day since we always have a birthday cake left on Pi Day in March.  I hope more research into Fragile X will find a way to reverse autism.  I try to be a good teammate.

Henny Youngman was funny, but I'm not fond of this quote.

Coleslaw is good, and we haven't had it for quite a while.  Sometimes, DH will order a bloody Caesar on a BHB.  I might try today's wine if it was offered.

We visited Newcastle Upon-Tyne on Prinsendam on September 10, 2017.  I'll get my pictures ready in a few minutes.  

Three good days in history to honor today.  I did not realize the first car race was that long ago.

@NextOne  Edi, please wish your DS a VERY HAPPY 45TH BIRTHDAY for us.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I'm glad you got a good night's rest and are ready to get back to a land based routine.

@grapau27  Graham, thank you for the explanations and for the pictures from your home area.  Hopefully, we'll be back to Newcastle Upon-Tyne and will be able to meet you and Pauline.

@0106  Tina, thank you for the explanations of the two Pi Days.

@rafinmd  Roy, I hope the appointment with the oncologist goes well, and that bank visit goes smoothly.  I hope you can get the computer at the fire station working again.

@kazu  Jacqui, I'm sorry your recovery is not going as well as you hoped.  I hope you feel better soon, and can get more sleep.

@smitty34877  Terry, safe travels to your DB today.  I hope this week does not hold any surprises.

@tjcox9  Thank you for your pictures of Newcastle.

@marshhawk  Annie, I hope the infusion goes well for your DH, along with the other appointment.  I hope you can find some me time for yourself.  Loved the pictures.

@Overhead Fred  Fred, I'm glad you and Mitzi arrived safely at your Canadian cabin.  Enjoy the lake.

433989048_407717025181966_4113413739873288742_n.jpg.80ef821f0abbeccc2d818486c7ff20b0.jpg

434760254_10160124654506376_1105699460101811783_n.jpg.cc7e25b8364c52e26b9d51f976fc57c8.jpg

447022923_339489082498188_4718040200295413951_n.jpg.c0e7f5c50c7382cfc92b9f401ef57e11.jpg

451506586_122161117616208240_896736766463556573_n.jpg.b55b5b43c5a56e0ee336c32e855c4e0d.jpg

450484762_422760544058567_1286441465145279279_n.jpg.dd7ba39544a065b64da6c086dac09acd.jpg

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 17

Posted (edited)

We enjoyed our day in Newcastle Upon-Tyne on September 10, 2017.  Linda Minkin was the Cruise Director on the Prinsendam, and she was excited for our port stop since she was from Newcastle.  She was looking forward to a visit to the ship by her mother and sister.  

Our day began with a shuttle ride to the Metro station in Tynemouth where we caught a train into Newcastle.

DSC00206.thumb.JPG.88ea1d8630f5b384c125e0063cb5849c.JPG

Vendors were setting up in both sides of the station, and later that day, we explored some of their offerings.

DSC00208.thumb.JPG.69ec686813189d7832c984e6803ee32e.JPG

Our Metro train took us into downtown Newcastle, not to the main train station.  These are some of the signs in the area as we walked to the main station to catch the Ho-Ho. 

These were taken in Monument Mall.

DSC00210.thumb.JPG.6451a54bdd703ffb5a5853ffc40a4613.JPG

DSC00211.thumb.JPG.f6dbb83a21bf335d64606edac38caf1a.JPG

DSC00213.thumb.JPG.3483e31a57314db526f1161068f47604.JPG

St. John the Baptist Church

DSC00218.thumb.JPG.de6b60946ae1281b05294bc829ff35ea.JPG

Our walk to the train station

DSC00220.thumb.JPG.8c73b588a10c2f9d5f209eae8a4de542.JPG

St. Mary's Cathedral

DSC00221.thumb.JPG.5ed58b9942345557696ca61edb271c74.JPG

Inside the Newcastle train station

DSC00223.thumb.JPG.55e350dc2a24a42cdcfe696befdecfc7.JPG

After leaving the train station, we waited for the Ho-Ho only to learn it was not running that day because of the 37th Great North Run was taking place.  We headed back to Monument Mall where we took a city bus to Walls End. We saw part of the race as we rode the bus.

St. George and the Dragon War Memorial

DSC00225.thumb.JPG.172588f4983d20934ef3c43136bd13af.JPG

A couple of pictures of neighborhoods we passed on our bus ride.  Sorry about the reflection in the picture.

DSC00229.thumb.JPG.af15ca23cec3c49b8ddbedddfc9055ac.JPG

DSC00230.thumb.JPG.b06ec529b26b0b7fd32c77e3eff81731.JPG

I'll post my pictures of Wallsend next.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 9

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I had no idea what Casual Pi day was - thanks @0106 for the explanation.  I'd heard of Fragile X, as our neighbour's son has autism.  I try to be a good teammate of DH's.

We've got an interesting sky out there, a mixture of smoke and fog, making everything look an eerie grey-brown.  I actually slept in this morning as it was that much darker.  Looking at the temperature it's a comfortable 23C(73f), going up to an expected 33(91), but again the humidity is at 88% - very sticky for us prairie dogs!

It's a busy day for us - this morning we're heading off to the Field House for the cardiac rehab program, then to Krazy Bins as DH wants some light bulbs that are often found there, then at 1:30 we have his re-scheduled TAVR follow up at the hospital.  And I'm still in my jammies.  LOL

@StLouisCruisersI'm so glad you and DH made it home safely - what a trip you had!

@smitty34877sad to see your brother leave, but happy he was there to give you some much needed help.

@kazuI'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well - please let someone know if this persists and seek medical attention, as you need to recover!

@marshhawkthinking of you, wishing you had someone nearby who could give you some respite from the 24/7 monitoring of your DH.  Best wishes for his infusion today.

I was delighted to see the origin of the Bloody Caesar; we were at the Owl's Nest in Calgary in the fall of '75, celebrating my BFF's and her husband's first anniversary.  That was my first taste of steak tartare, and turtle soup.  But I don't like Bloody Caesars and will let others have my share of them.  I'd like to try the wine, but think @kochleffel's substitution is more in my price range.  I have to admit I take the easy way out of making coleslaw - buy a bag, toss it in the bowl along with a few good squirts of Kraft coleslaw dressing, add about a teaspoon of celery seed and mix well.  Because it's so warm, neither of us feels like having hot meals, so we'll be having chicken Caesar salad in the cool, not smokey air at our kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, in the paths of storms and fires, and for the innocents in war.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3