The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday September 3rd, 2024

Today is National Day of Prayer for Victims of Hurricane Harvey, Pressed Pennies Day, and Skyscraper Day

Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.--Aristotle

Meal Suggestion for today - 20 Best Burger Recipes
Drink of the Day - Gin Lime Rickey
Wine of the Day - Antinori-Peppoli-Chianti-Classico
Destination of the Day - Southampton (London), England

Today in History:
1783 Treaty of Paris signed in Paris ends the American Revolutionary War between Great Britain and United States of America
301 San Marino, one of the smallest nations in the world and the world's oldest republic still in existence, founded by Saint Marinus

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer
Glacier Bay, Alaska   0700-1600  

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Skagway, Alaska   0700-2000  

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver
Glacier Bay, Alaska   0830-1830  

Nieuw Statendam --- 14 days, round-trip North Cape The Midnight Sun
Portree, Isle of Skye   0800-1600  

Noordam --- 7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Whittier
Ketchikan, Alaska   0630-1500  

Oosterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Civitavecchia-Rome to Piraeus-Athens
La Valletta, Malta   0800-ovn-  

Rotterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Rotterdam to Reykjavik
At Sea Destination Djupivogur, Iceland   eta 09-04  

Volendam --- 10 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston
Havre St Pierre, Quebec   0700-1600  

Westerdam --- 53 days, round-trip Majestic Japan
Vancouver, Canada   0700-1600  

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
At Sea Destination Vancouver, Canada   eta 09-04  

Zuiderdam --- 7 days, one-way from Quebec City to Boston
Sydney, Nova Scotia   0800-1600  

image.png.1192a47b5c21d15228e09c81a885c2ac.png

image.png.87f1a17414036e0cd93549006f411e67.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 23

Today’s Care List:

Ottahand7’s DB with a swollen knee post TKR, ill, back to the hospital

Seasick Sailor’s DS Bonnie needing more surgery

Cruzin Terri starting PT

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

NextOne’s DSIL Sandy dx’d with metastatic cancer

StLouisCruisers’ DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

RMLincoln’s DGD Andrea’s baby arrived 9/1!

Cruzin Terri with no need for surgery currently for partial rotator cuff tear

NextOne doing well post hip surgery

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

4 days for Luvteaching (Eurodam Sept 7 to Sept 14) 7d Alaska Explorer

Crazy For Cats (Zuiderdam to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery, Dfish (Zuiderdam to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery, Sharon in AZ (Zuiderdam to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery, Tbay (Volendam to Sept 10) 10 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery + (Volendam Sept 10 to Sept 21) 11 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery, celebrating 50th Anniversary, Lindaler (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Richwmn (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Seasick Sailor (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan – celebrating her birthday and their 33rd wedding anniversary, USN59-79 (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 25

Good morning friends!  Well, we’ve made it through the long holiday weekend and didn’t get a drop of rain.  It looked like we might when we started up the grill (it’s like washing your car).  But there was only a tiny green blob on the weather app radar.  It seemed to be a few blocks away from us.  They probably got two drops over there.  Anyway this morning it is 71F and the forecast is a high of 83 with a cloudy morning and partly cloudy afternoon.

Thanks Rich @richwmn for your work on the Fleet Report and Daily.  Interesting and varied days to recognize.  I’ll be checking out the hamburger recipes.  No thanks to the drink or wine today.  The treaty of Paris was the beginning of our country’s freedom.  Amazing that San Marino is still a sovereign country within Italy. Thanks to our F&B ladies Eva @superoma, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your work on the reports today.

Prayers for my DB, the Israelis and Ukrainians, the slain hostages and the remaining hostages, and our military in the region.  Also many prayers for our Daily family on the Care list including Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie, Joy’s DS Bonnie, Nancy’s DB, Ann and Pat, Melisa and her DH, Jacqui, Elizabeth, Roy, Terri and Jim, Ann's cleaning lady Leanne, Edi's DSIL Sandy, and Bruno awaiting his ultrasound later this week.  Twin sister says she’s doing quite well now and PT begins Sept. 9.  Cheers to everyone celebrating special occasions, cruising and preparing to cruise!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for all you do for the Daily!

The destination today is Southampton, London, England.  This was the port before on May 29, 2021. I’ll post that link here next.  On that date I was traveling to St. Louis to see my DD DS in hospice.  I of course didn’t post any photos that day so will do that today.  We’ve been lucky to go there about 5 or 6 times on various cruises.  I hope you will be able to post your own photos too.

We spoke to DGS Austin yesterday, along with DD.  For the 3rd year in a row he was sick for his birthday.  He starts school shortly before his birthday and seems to catch a virus as soon as he heads back to class.  Still, tonight he got his menu choice, a birthday cake, and presents so not a total bust!

DDIL is arriving back in Texas from Singapore this morning.  She spent extra time there visiting with friends she grew up with while living there.  And sometime today I’ll be hosting neighbor Brenda for a coffee/tea klatch.

I hope you all enjoy a very nice Tuesday.  Stay safe and keep well.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 7

San Marino (/ˌsæn məˈrn/  SAN mə-REE-noh, Italian: [sam maˈriːno]; Romagnol: San Maréin or San Maroin), officially the Republic of San Marino[1][2][8] (Italian: Repubblica di San Marino) and also known as the Most Serene Republic of San Marino[9] (Italian: Serenissima Repubblica di San Marino), is a European microstate and enclave within Italy.[10] Located on the northeastern side of the Apennine Mountains, it is the fifth-smallest country in the world,[11] with a land area of just over 61 km2 (23+12 sq mi) and a population of 33,642, as of 2023.[12]

• Like 9
  • Thanks 16

The Gin Rickey is one of the few classic cocktails that doesn’t have an origin muddled by history or shrouded in rumors and innuendo. The invention of this refreshing highball is refreshingly clear: It was named after Joe Rickey, a Democratic lobbyist living in Washington, D.C., during the late 19th century.

Ingredients:
2 oz. gin
1/2 oz. lime juice, freshly squeezed
Club Soda to top
Garnish: lime wheels
Directions:
Fill a highball glass with ice and add the gin and lime juice.
Top with club soda.
Garnish with 2 lime wheels.

Screenshot 2024-09-03 at 6.25.05 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 15

I’m happy to say we’ve enjoyed a handful of visits to Southampton, England.  I counted 5 or 6 times there, but the last time in 2022 we decided not to get off the ship.

The first time was in 2013 on Crown Princess.  We boarded the ship in Southampton after spending 5 days in London with a cruising couple we had traveled with before seeing the sights and taking day trips to spots like Windsor Castle, Bath, and Stonehenge. We all took the National Express bus from Victoria Station to Southampton on embarkation day and didn’t do any sightseeing in town that day.  I took a few photos from the ship while in port including a water salute from a tug boat.  It must have been the first visit of the Crown Princess to Southampton.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

In May of 2015 we went on a Royal Princess transatlantic from Ft. Lauderdale to Southampton.  We were taking a second cruise on Royal Princess following it so Southampton was our turnaround day.  We enjoyed an excellent walk around the town.

We looked at the architecture, and the plaques commemorating events in history.  I liked this one concerning the Falkland Islands.

A mall many of us have shopped in, West Quay.

When sailing later that evening we enjoyed many beautiful spots along the coast.

Again in September 2015 on Caribbean Princess we began in London enjoying several days there, boarding the ship and heading to Norway, Iceland and back to the U.S.  The trip began with a long 5 hour delay on our redeye flight to London. 

Once again we used National Express buses to shuttle us from Heathrow to London Victoria Coach Station.  This is the area where we boarded the buses at Heathrow.  However, it was quite an ordeal getting from the terminal we landed at, to the bus (or rather coach as they called it) station.

Because of our long delay the night before, we arrived in London too late to make our reserved time to tour Buckingham Palace.  After a quick dinner at a pizza place in the mall area of Victoria Train Station we turned in early at our hotel which was close by, Premier Inn.  The next morning we walked to Buckingham Palace and told them about missing our tour the day before and they told us to go right in.  Very nice of them to accommodate us.  We weren’t allowed to take photos inside the Palace but once outside took some photos of the back garden area.  Graham has posted photos of himself and Pauline there before, all dressed up, when they were invited to the Palace for an event.

We got to see Westminster Cathedral, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben and Parliament, 10 Downing Street, the Horse Guards, Nelson’s Column and the stately lions of Trafalgar Square, St. Paul’s Cathedral, the Tower of London, and Tower Bridge.  The following day we took a City Cruises river cruise to Greenwich.  It was so interesting and passed many of the places we saw the day before.  Loved sailing under the Tower Bridge.  Greenwich was great.

But to get back to Southampton, the next day it was time to head south to where we would board the Caribbean Princess.  We walked the short distance from Premier Inn to the Victoria Coach Station and took the bus to Southampton again.  We boarded the ship immediately and took only a few photos of the port from the ship.  This cruise was a Norway/Iceland transatlantic back to the New York where we flew straight home.

I'll continue on in a second post since this one is getting lengthy.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 13

Post 2 on Southampton, England

In 2016 on Emerald Princess, we stayed the night in Southampton and ate fish, chips and garden peas (not mushy ones) at Duke of Wellington pub.  That cruise was about 20 days long and ended in Dubai.  We rode the National Express bus again from Heathrow straight to Southampton.  We stayed at Premier Inn West Quay this time. 

The Duke of Wellington pub

Our delicious lunch

The charm of the Duke of Wellington.  The people were friendly too.  I highly recommend it.

The Titanic sounds good  (except for the less than positive name).

Getting ready for our sail away party

The cruise director in his British flag suit

2022 on Island Princess we began in Ft. Lauderdale and headed towards Iceland and the UK.  Halfway through the B2B cruises we had turnaround day in Southampton.  We didn’t get off the ship.  There had been so many passengers sick with Covid, but we had passed our ship testing just before arriving in Southampton so we decided to stay on the ship that day.  Unfortunately I would be testing positive the following day.  It certainly turned into a memorable cruise, but not in a positive way. 

On turnaround day in Southampton I took this lovely photo of the scenery around the ship. 

Across the hall was an ominous sign.  A cabin being sanitized after the Covid-ridden occupants left in Southampton.

The next morning I knew for sure I had come down with it too.  Medical came and confirmed it and I was moved to an oceanview cabin on another deck.  The day after that DH joined me after he tested positive too.  The dreaded sign on our door.

That's it for my memories of Southampton, England.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 11

Good Tuesdays Morning Dailyites! The goal today was to wake up at 6, and get Quiffy (one of the fur babies) to her pre surgery blood test.  I woke up at 3:30, and have been awake, tired, but awake so she will be on time, but I will come home and nap.

Cooler temps today, mid 80's, we had no rain after the monsoon last week.

Donna was feeling better so she came over for a burger last night, we had burgers, tater salad, leafy green salad and baked beans.  Since yesterday was Coconut Day, I bought a coconut cake at the farmers market (it is delicious) but realized when bagging, it was a lemon coconut cake, and Donna hates citrus of any kind.  So we stopped at a bakery (within walking distance of the house) that we had never been to, and got her a piece of marble pound cake.

It is an Ethiopian bakery, with a large french influence, but they serve breakfast, lunch and dinner, and coffee with pastries.  I will make sure to visit my local bakery more often. We also noticed that a new restaurant was open, Hibachi grill and Cajun.  Havent figured that one out yet, but Donna said she was going to try it.

Have a wonderful day!

• Like 28

Thank you for the Daily and Reports!!  

Great Days to honor and celebrate!

Love a hamburger, anytime!!

Not a fan of Gin, but Rickeys are good!

And I've sailed from Southampton on the QM2...

Prayers for everyone, especially those listed...

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa, Eva, Ann, and Dixie for the FR&D   I like all 3 of today’s days.   Special prayers for Jacqui, Ann, Pat, Terri, Jim,  Melissa, Chuck, Annie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list.

I like the Aristotle quote..

Been to Southampton many times, embarking Crystal Symphony in 1996, then Cunard for embarkation, disembarkation, B2B turnaround, and even a transfer from one ship to another.

Two great days in history.

I splurged yesterday and enjoyed a burger at a restaurant that’s too far to go except on special occasions..  My alternative is on hiatus until late September.

A nice day with a chilly start.  PT this morning and haircut this afternoon..

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning to all.

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for standing in for Rich.  You are doing a fantastic job.

Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV.  You seem to be right on top of all our comings and goings.

Thank you to Eva @superoma for the recipes and helping out while Debbie is enjoying her cruise, and thank you to Ann @cat shepard and Dixie @summer slope for keeping us hydrated.

Today I have to tackle the bills i was supposed to work on yesterday.  i really don’t know what happened yesterday.  I started to work on them, but didn’t get very far.  i had to go to the grocery store, I made some baked ziti and spent an hour on the phone with my very first friend Mary Ann, who lives in Montana.  it is amazing that after all these years we are still in touch.  It is unfortunate that we live on opposite ends of the country.  With my circumstances it is impossible for us to visit her and right now her SO is not well, so she is unable to travel either. Also I am not so sure that my having visitors would be a good thing right now.

Today i am going back to PT.  I started a month or so ago and was told to stop.  Now I am told to go back and start all over again.  I am looking forward to gaining some strength in my right arm.

Thank you Sandi for the photos of Southampton.  While I have been there to board a cruise ship, I have not pictures.

Hope everyone has a good day.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

A big thank you to everyone on this thread, it's a great place to start the day.

It's cold here this morning, only 4C (39F)  brrr  too cold too early.   It's supposed to be a sunny and warm afternoon, I hope so.

Interesting days to celebrate.  No pressed pennies here.  Some skyscrapers are beautiful, engineering marvels.

I like the quote.

Yes to a good burger.  Yes to a Lime Rickey.  Yes to Chianti.  

I've been to London several times, but the only Southampton I've been to is Southampton Ontario.

Prayers for so many.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Sandi, thank you Eva, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily and maps Rich and Sandi.  Thanks for the photos of Southampton in advance.  I went to Stonehenge on the Iberian Adventure on the Konigsdam.  I may have a burger for dinner in town though it is Taco Tuesday.    I would like a gin Rickey.  Antinori makes great wines.  Thanks for finding these for us each day. 

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.  Prayers for Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie, Terri and Jim, Sandi's DB, Melissa, Bonnie, Jacqui and everyone else who are ailing or grieving.  Prayers for all in war zones.  

Fishing was a non event other than a few Pike but it was a beautiful day.  We are off to town, hopefully the last mail pickup as forwarding ended Wednesday.  Have a lovely Tuesday!  Nancy 

John's catch and release pike.  

IMG_20240902_122311577_HDR.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Good morning and Happy Tuesday from the beautiful Zuiderdam in the port of Sydney. I’m in the Crow’s Nest enjoying my morning iced coffee in my HAL blue insulated mug. 

Pardon the dirty window. It’s a beautiful day. 
image.thumb.jpeg.a5bc30ecfe4324f41f06df46f17e2e54.jpeg

The broken window:

image.thumb.jpeg.0bfadabe3e5e6de7859dc14f6d5585f6.jpeg

Have a great day!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s FR&D, Sandi (for Rich)! It is a lovely morning, though a bit humid. Yesterday was tough even with a strong breeze. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us. I love to read everything that you are able to accomplish - is it safe for me to believe it is pain free?

Gym, Bindi walks, chores and maybe some pool time. We might get a bit of rain. We had a couple of brief showers last night. 

IMG_1962.jpeg.0f24a113636c5577984717730d17508c.jpeg

IMG_3316.jpeg.794c858ae8c25937dac3fc6704c441d1.jpeg

IMG_2340.jpeg.67b6be4595c10746892ff452d6172888.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Tana, hoping your FF is high today. Terry, praying you have an uneventful day. Praying for Bonnie, Melisa & DH, Nancy’s DB, Annie & Chuck, Tony, Jacqui, Ann & Pat, Terri & Jim and all our caregivers. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Antinori-Peppoli-Chianti-Classico 2020

I used the 2020 vintage info since it should be perfect for enjoying now and the winemaker offered great info about it. Easy to find and reasonably priced with online prices starting at $17.99.

Winemakers notes

Climate

Chianti Classico’s 2020 growing season started out with mild and dry winter weather, the only exception was one short cold spell at the end of March.   These climatic conditions prompted significantly early bud break but did not compromise the vines’ growth cycle. Optimal vegetative development took place in the second half of spring thanks to rainy and rather cool weather. Summer brought hot temperatures without extreme heat events and occasional rain showers that ensured perfect development of grapes clusters. The month of September, when the harvest got underway, saw an intensification of rainfall especially during the second half of the month. These events did not have any adverse effects on the overall quality of the grapes and were beneficial to complete optimal phenolic maturity. Harvesting operations for Pèppoli began on September 17th and was completed the first week of October.

Vinification

Each grape variety was harvested separately, destemmed, gently crushed, and transferred into stainless steel tanks. Alcoholic fermentation took place at a controlled temperature between 26 and 28 °C (80 – 82 °F) to enhance aromatic compounds and preserve the fruity and floral notes of each grape variety. Maceration was performed with mechanical methods to best extract soft, supple tannins over a period of 10 days for Sangiovese and for a maximum of two weeks for the complementary varieties. Once malolactic fermentation was completed, by the end of the winter season, the wine was blended and transferred into barrels. Pèppoli aged in large Slavonian oak barrels and a small percentage was aged in stainless steel vats. The wine was bottled in January 2022.

Historical Data

The Pèppoli vineyards produce a Chianti Classico that is a blend made from Sangiovese grapes and complementary varieties; Pèppoli is recognized and appreciated for the full expression of its fruit. A wine that represents the Chianti Classico territory and its historic grape variety with typical floral and fruity aromas. Pèppoli was first produced in 1985 and since 2013 part of the harvest undergoes vinification at the Antinori nel Chianti Classico cellars.

Tasting Notes

Pèppoli 2020 is ruby red in color. On the nose, Pèppoli delivers intense notes of red fruit, especially cherries, currants and strawberries accompanied by floral undertones of violets and lavender with light, spicy hints of licorice. Its palate is defined by a soft entry, accompanied by lively sensations, and sustained by ripe tannins that lead to a fresh, savory finish.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 2

Happy Tuesday. Thanks for the daily and Fleet reports. 

It is so wonderful waking up to temps in the 40s. The sun is shining as well. Took Fancy to the park yesterday and did a couple of laps on the mile 1/2-mile track. Fancy slowed down as we were finishing due to her short little legs and the extra weight she carries. My sister and I promised her more park time. Back to working on my classes. I did apply for graduation and waiting to hear back. I had to apply about a quarter before actual graduation. I am hoping that once I graduate, I can be elevated to full time faculty at one of the universities that I teach so I can get benefits. I plan to keep my clinical practice as well. The countdown until cruise day continues. 36 days to go. I have a live started on the NCL boards if you are interested. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.jpeg.921586136891ab219aa793ed9645f92d.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Good Morning from a cloudy and warm day at the beach

Not sure what our weather will be today. Seems there have been storms all around us but nothing here. We need the rain.

Skyscrapers are getting taller. I really enjoy a good burger.There was a machine that pressed pennies on one of our recent stops. Dont remember which one.

Have not been to Southhampton but it is on the list. Thanks Sandi for the pictures.

@Sharon in AZ  Not sure why they are not fixing the window. I thought they had said it was going be fixed on our return to Boston. Guess that did not happen!

The Space Center will be busy this week with a few launches. 

Just the usual on my agenda today.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Hurricane Harvey, in 2017l, was the wettest Atlantic hurricane ever, causing as much property damage as Katrina and killing 107 people.

I would like to think that a burger is simple enough not to require 20 different recipes, but I guess I would be wrong. A Gin Rickey would be OK if I had any of the ingredients beyond gin. Chianti has changed a lot since the straw-basket versions from my childhood. Sangiovese is the dominant grape in Chianti Classico, so I'll nominate the 2019 Sangiovese from Ventosa Vineyards, $32.95. "This wine greets with aromas of strawberry and rose. On the palate, savory touches merge with creamy red currant and hints of cherry blossoms and tobacco. Sleek tannins ensure a harmonious finish."

I don't think I've been to any Southampton, not even the one on Long Island. I also haven't been to Paris unless you count CDG airport, or San Marino.

I got the trash and recycling out but none of my neighbors had set any out. Tuesday is our regular day, but because of the holiday yesterday, the pickup may be quite late, possibly even after dark.

thatsamoray-brightened.jpg.078a1fa9c184f08a63ecdefecd60c732.jpg

• Like 14
  • Haha 11

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

The Gin Rickey is one of the few classic cocktails that doesn’t have an origin muddled by history or shrouded in rumors and innuendo. The invention of this refreshing highball is refreshingly clear: It was named after Joe Rickey, a Democratic lobbyist living in Washington, D.C., during the late 19th century.

Ingredients:
2 oz. gin
1/2 oz. lime juice, freshly squeezed
Club Soda to top
Garnish: lime wheels
Directions:
Fill a highball glass with ice and add the gin and lime juice.
Top with club soda.
Garnish with 2 lime wheels.

Screenshot 2024-09-03 at 6.25.05 AM.png

Last time I had this drink I told the bartender Lucy sent me! 😀

• Like 6
  • Haha 8