I have a problem...

A&Jfamily

not sure I'd call San Juan a new port. The only way to get to the smaller islands in Wind Jammer or similar sailing ships. We are going on a land based trip to St.Lucia in October. As to Europe rivers cruises, it's about $10,000 for a week on Avalon or Viking including coach airfare. Avalon is amazing with their open balcony cabins.

and before I begin, let me acknowledge up front, that this is a 1st world problem. So here it goes...I love cruising. I love the down time with my family. But I am tired of the same old ports. We cruise with our kids who are in Jr high and college and can only go pre-Christmas or spring break and there just seems to be nothing new! I have been to: Aruba, Curacao, Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Grand Turk, Amber Cove, St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. Marteen, San Juan, Nassau, Freeport and HMC.

We have Progresso and Cozumel booked on the Triumph pre-Christmas. Then the island hopper booked out of San Juan in Spring of 2018. And we are looking at the 4 day from Long Beach to Catalina and Ensenada in December 2018; the 7 day is out because it is Sat-Sat and we can't get there in time with exams from the east coast.

Can Carnival find/build/locate some new ports? Or at least offer some of the ones like St. Croix, Antigua, Bonaire, Columbia, Costa Rica and Panama more frequently???

Anyone else have this issue? We travel much more for the ports than the ship (thus the Fascination island hopper will be grand!). I am ready to start looking a spring break 2019 and if nothing catches my eye, it might me a US National Park trip. Cruising is so relaxing, but I really want to go new places and see new things....:(

Condo or timeshare? We did 2 weeks in St. Maarten. I thought I wouldn't like it but we were right on a beach with great snorkelling. We rented a car and totally explored the whole island. It was relaxing and I miss it!

Kids have passports - oldest is on his 3rd - so that is a non issue.

And I love the idea of the river cruise but 10K is double what we spend on a week on a cruise. I could do it but have to drop another vacation. Really a first world problem there and sounds horrid! I get it - my whole family is blessed. But I want new ports dang it!!!!

Squaring their two schedules makes things really tight and aa I am sure many of you know traveling week of Christmas is almost double the week before. But when college son can be in exams until 5 pm Friday we can't get to LA from D.C. easily for a Sat-Sat Mex Riv. cruise...

And I can't sell DH on a beach for a week - he thinks he would be bored.

So - Carnival I love you...but we may be at the point where we have to part ways for a time...you have so many ships and the Caribbean is you oyster. So please - mix up those itineraries and the schedules and give those of us with fixed schedules some better options, please!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No.

We cruise to get off the grid, so I really do not care what the ports are.

In fact, we are doing a B2B on Liberty in three months and I doubt that we will even get off the ship

Same here (Cruise to get off the grid. My phone stays off and in the safe the entire time.)

not sure I'd call San Juan a new port.
It's a new port for the poster that I was responding to. She had a list of 10 ports that they had visited and wanted suggestions as to itineraries that would let them visit new ports that they had not visited previously.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

We're doing Europe this summer, but like you said, it's not cheap! Airfare & cruise is just about $10K for the 3 of us!! That doesn't include the 4 extra days in London (hotel/meals) and the 2 days in southwestern UK (rental/hotel/meals). Now, we haven't cruised as much as others, so we're not really burnt out on the ports either, but we wanted to get back to Europe and this cruise seemed like a nice way to get around to several things in a short time. But we do like the Caribbean ones in the cold months, just to relax.

It is a 1st world problem, but you came to the right place for ideas and suggestions!

So this is my 2 cents: First, I agree with many of the posters suggesting trying Europe. I have a 9-year-old and when he gets a little older, that one is certainly on my wish list.

For now though when I feel the same as you, I look at the shore excursions. I feel like there are a lot of places on these same stops that I haven't been to, and I need to explore! I also google different things to do on the islands, even if it's visiting an off the radar beach. Try to do that! You may surprise yourself at how much there is to do. :)

You touched on it, but I was going to suggest a few land vacations to help break the monotony. Then maybe go back to cruising to see if you feel differently about it. We're new to cruising, only just booked our second a few months ago. We really enjoy it, but I've already considered a time when it'll get old. There's ports I really don't care to go so when we see several of the ones we haven't seen, and experience different ships, I fully expect to take a break from it. There's still a lot of places I want to see on land so I don't want to put all of our vacation eggs in the cruise basket.

On a side note, I'm not into the whole talking PC thing. Personally, I don't feel it's necessary for me to preface any of these issues with "1st world problems" or to put the word "problem" in quotes. We're all here because we have cruised/will be cruising. Talking about the problems we have with it is just part of the experience. We're a family on a very tight budget and have to plan & save to take our vacations. I'm not ashamed of being able to do any of it. As far as we're concerned, we've earned it.

Can Carnival find/build/locate some new ports? Or at least offer some of the ones like St. Croix, Antigua, Bonaire, Columbia, Costa Rica and Panama more frequently???

If my geography is correct, to get to most of those ports from Florida, you need to be on a cruise longer than 7 nights. I visited Columbia, and Panama, along with a few other ports on a 10 day partial Panama Canal cruise out of Miami. Going to Antigua and Bonaire later this year on a Southern Caribbean 11 night cruise. Unfortunately Christmas time and typical spring break time - 7 nights are the norm.

OP, a couple of thoughts:

Not all islands are equipped to handle ships and number of people.

Not all islands WANT ships in their ports and islands.

Most of the islands not in regular rotation will take longer than 7 days.

What you are asking for will entail smaller luxury ships and a larger budget.

CCL isn't going to spend the money necessary to negotiate and develop newer ports.

Explore some other lines and even land-based options.

Safe journeys.

You touched on it, but I was going to suggest a few land vacations to help break the monotony. Then maybe go back to cruising to see if you feel differently about it. We're new to cruising, only just booked our second a few months ago. We really enjoy it, but I've already considered a time when it'll get old. There's ports I really don't care to go so when we see several of the ones we haven't seen, and experience different ships, I fully expect to take a break from it. There's still a lot of places I want to see on land so I don't want to put all of our vacation eggs in the cruise basket.

On a side note, I'm not into the whole talking PC thing. Personally, I don't feel it's necessary for me to preface any of these issues with "1st world problems" or to put the word "problem" in quotes. We're all here because we have cruised/will be cruising. Talking about the problems we have with it is just part of the experience. We're a family on a very tight budget and have to plan & save to take our vacations. I'm not ashamed of being able to do any of it. As far as we're concerned, we've earned it.

Wasn't in any way trying to be PC - rather acknowledge up front my blessings being an American with disposable income allowing me to travel the world.

I am not apologetic for what I have; I worked very hard to get here in life. But regardless, that still takes some luck, starting with being born in the USA which is still the land of opportunity.

I have been on these boards a while and I have learned that putting your "complaint" in context keeps many from jumping on an lecturing that I should be happy that I have cruise so much etc....

Maybe you can also try Northern Europe or the Mediterranean. We usually book flights 10-12 months prior to cruise for cheaper rates.

On my bucket list but December and first week of March are either not availbale or ideal - and also very hard to make the travel and the cruise fit within the week.

That's what's tying my hands - with a college age son, I can't "pull him from class." And we can't travel in the summer because HE NEEDS TO WORK!:p

If my geography is correct, to get to most of those ports from Florida, you need to be on a cruise longer than 7 nights. I visited Columbia, and Panama, along with a few other ports on a 10 day partial Panama Canal cruise out of Miami. Going to Antigua and Bonaire later this year on a Southern Caribbean 11 night cruise. Unfortunately Christmas time and typical spring break time - 7 nights are the norm.

We have done a 7 day on Princess to Princess Caye, Aruba and Curacao in a week so I know it can be done. They also USED to run cruises that went to Costa Rica, Panama and Columbia in a 7 or 8 day time frame. They can do it if they want to...but it seems they are geared more toward these 10 and 14 day journey cruises. Which are great - and DH and I will do these when we retire. But right now, his job, in particular would make it very difficult to be gone for 2 weeks, not to mention the kids....

Thanks everyone for letting me vent and I appreciate the input. We will retire to a sailboat (knock on wood) someday and sail the Caribbean so I will get everywhere I want to go....and with my kids....not just now.

We have decided we will look into Key West for a week next - I think there is enough there to keep DH occupied with great snorkeling, food and tons of places to explore. Maybe a couple of years off will either cause us to miss the Caribbean, or, with the graduation of my college age son, allow us to stretch our wings to Europe and beyond.

Happy travels!

Just curious, since Carnival is so limited in Europe, which cruiseline would you choose for a cruise there? I have been on RCL, and I wasn't impressed. NCL seems the most reasonable, which is important. Any input? ;)

No judgement here. I get you. When we cruise as a family, it has to be from a port we can drive to in a day or two. So, there are only so many place we can go with Carnival.

Same here. Look at NCL though. Sometimes they have ports that Carnival doesn't go to.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

A couple of suggestions that might give you something to think about. Look at cruises out of Puerto Rico. Around holidays, they may be longer that you want but you might find something that works for you.

We are doing the Norwegian Dawn out of San Juan in November and hitting three new ports for us (Barbados, Martinique and St. Kitts). By starting a little farther south, you might have the opportunity to go new places. I think Carnival sails out of Puerto Rico pretty much year-round.

Norwegian's standard Eastern itinerary includes Tortola (usually along with St. Thomas and Nassau). The Eastern run is generally done on NCL's newer ships (Epic, Getaway, Escape and Bliss).

We have two more cruises planned and I'm constantly looking at new cruises, we may take a break and do a land vacation in 2019.

I personally care nothing for the ports, I am there for the boat. You have to consider the logistics of the mass market though. Only certain ports can get you to certain places on a seven day cruise and longer cruises are harder to sell because many people cannot take more than a week off easily. The port also has to be able to accommodate a very large boat.

I personally care nothing for the ports, I am there for the boat. You have to consider the logistics of the mass market though. Only certain ports can get you to certain places on a seven day cruise and longer cruises are harder to sell because many people cannot take more than a week off easily. The port also has to be able to accommodate a very large boat.

I never understand passengers that stay on the ship in port. I love seeing new places and getting a taste of a different culture. For me travel is an education, so that's why we try and visit different destinations and countries when we go away.

I hear you...and we have been on Princess when we got deals. Others like RCI (I was not impressed when I sailed them in 2000) and X are priced out of our comfort zone (we could afford it would just mean less vacations per year) as we get two rooms. NCL doesn't appeal because I have read and heard too many reports that the food is just not good. We also are not heavy drinkers so the free drinks thing isn't enough to off-set the difference in costs.

Also, despite the complaints of Carnival having a bad perks program, I disagree. As I am Platinum now, it is hard to pass up on going home with a clean suitcase of clothes I didn't have to wash. We aren't internet users while on vacation so that perk, say on princess, doesn't appeal...and with Princess is it 151+ sea days or 15 cruises before you get the laundry.

So...for many reasons that leaves me with Carnival as my line of choice...until we start going just me and DH internationally once the kids are out of the house. And then it is "Princess here we come!"

PS - Just ran a search for RCI March 2018...and nothing really new. Maybe a St. Croix, but not on their week. Or a Haiti but the price of the cruise is $250 pp more for the inside for our kids, without even looking into the balcony....

You should give NCL a try. That is all we have cruised. But we do have a Carnival booked and have 4 rooms at that. I have heard the same things about Carnival that you have heard about NCL. I think it is up to me to decide if what is wrote about and reviewed is true. I try not to take whatever is said to heart. What bothers one person might not bother another. If you look on all these boards people say the same things. I am a huge NCL fan but will try other lines to make my own decision.