Breakaway left 3 passengers in Bermuda today

LrgPizza

Just off the Breakaway today. Here are a few points. I did NOT see any sign indicating boarding time on Friday for passengers and crew. I commented to my husband about it and we specifically looked around for it. I always double check the time on the sign and make sure my watch has the correct time every time I disembark. I was very surprised more people didn't miss the ship. I've been on many NCL cruises and the sign was always there. My DH laughed and said maybe they didn't print one with the new times yet. There were two gangways so maybe there was a sign at one exit but not the other?

They announced the 3 names a little before 3. Another passenger told me that the mother was on the ship. She was given a choice to stay or had 5 minutes to grab what she could and leave the ship to wait for her daughters. She was then seen with a small bag waiting for them. The girls appeared just as the ship was pulling away. I was told that many people were yelling "loser" to the family. I was at Spice H2o and didn't hear that. However we did yell for the runners a few minutes before.

That sucks...I get faulting them for doing something stupid (and no, the ship should not have waited for them) but I don't get taking joy in, or watching from your balcony with wine glass in hand toasting their misfortune. Oh well, I'm sure a cell phone video or two from a balcony or deck will be showing up on YouTube any day now.

Just off the Breakaway today. Here are a few points. I did NOT see any sign indicating boarding time on Friday for passengers and crew. I commented to my husband about it and we specifically looked around for it. I always double check the time on the sign and make sure my watch has the correct time every time I disembark. I was very surprised more people didn't miss the ship. I've been on many NCL cruises and the sign was always there. My DH laughed and said maybe they didn't print one with the new times yet. There were two gangways so maybe there was a sign at one exit but not the other?

They announced the 3 names a little before 3. Another passenger told me that the mother was on the ship. She was given a choice to stay or had 5 minutes to grab what she could and leave the ship to wait for her daughters. She was then seen with a small bag waiting for them. The girls appeared just as the ship was pulling away. I was told that many people were yelling "loser" to the family. I was at Spice H2o and didn't hear that. However we did yell for the runners a few minutes before.

Since you didn't see any signs, how did you know what time to be back on the ship?

Is that the sound of back peddling I hear.

Drunk, young, female, foreign country. Let me tell you - that sounds like every vacation any woman ever took in her 20s.

And everyone knows that you directed the "idiot parent" remark at me. You even used all caps. :(

I didn't read whatever it was you were refrerring to, but I will say, these young women apparently were not young college age girls and should have used their heads> I don't know about you, but no, not all 20 something young women think getting drunk is part of a vacation.

Edited by newmexicoNita

They announced the 3 names a little before 3. Another passenger told me that the mother was on the ship. She was given a choice to stay or had 5 minutes to grab what she could and leave the ship to wait for her daughters as the ship was pulling away.

5 minutes before sail away is way too late for the mother to even try to do anything.

Where was Mom when the girls missed, "All Aboard"??

Many share the blame. Hope this works out for the 3 passengers.

Wondering, who shares the blame other than the two young ladies who couldn't get back to the ship on time? The other 4,000 passengers somehow managed to know what time they had to be back and got back on time?

I asked GamblingMommy how they knew what time to be back, because if she knew the time and made it back and the other 4,000 passengers made it back on time, there was obviously more than enough communication from the ship on what that time was.

Edited by NLH Arizona

There is no idiot parent in this story....the parent got off the ship so she is a good parent

Idiot parent is hypothetical is this situation as there wasn't one

So no is being called an idiot parent

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

She got off the ship with no time to spare, which is questionable. If she didn't know where they were (unclear), that's a bit questionable.

I would think a good mom would have found them with enough time to make the ship, and yell at them.

I read these posts about missing the ship and YAWN!!!

They missed the ship in Bermuda - they didn't miss the Soyuz capsule back from the International Space Station! If you have to be stranded somewhere Bermuda is not a bad place to be stranded.

These folks will be a little lighter in the pocket book but will have gained a great traveling story. Not a bad trade-off.:D

And mom will be able to hold this over the kids for years to come. As a parent that is PRICELESS:p

Edited by DirtyDawg

Nope, didn't miss it.

No, they don't need to. Would be good customer service? Maybe, but where does good customer service end? Is that announcement for only bars? People have missed ships when they were doing other things. Like I said, announcements at the beaches, in stores, etc. where does it end?

Freestyle usually has the time posted, when we exit the ship it is there in plain site and when we are told the ship is cleared for leaving it is announced as well as in the morning if the ship has been docked for a day or so. there is no reason whatsoever for missing ship. I am with you, where does it end? Maybe there should be a radio announcement in every taxi in town?

And mom will be able to hold this over the kids for years to come. As a parent that is PRICELESS:p

Oh good, I wasn't the only one that thought this was the best blackmail material a mother can hold over her children forever and the daughters did it to themselves!:eek: Mom is never going to let them live it down, she'll even tell the grandchildren years from now, about the time in Bermuda when their mothers were in their 20's missing the ship, HA!

Wondering, who shares the blame other than the two young ladies who couldn't get back to the ship on time? The other 4,000 passengers somehow managed to know what time they had to be back and got back on time?

I asked GamblingMommy how they knew what time to be back, because if she knew the time and made it back and the other 4,000 passengers made it back on time, there was obviously more than enough communication from the ship on what that time was.

The time was on the original itinerary paperwork and on the daily. However it was not prominently displayed. I pay attention to details, MANY people do not. I have been on 8 other NCL cruises and they have always made several announcements and displayed the all aboard time prominently at the gangway. The people in line to get off in front of us said to the crew, "back at 4:30, right?" The crew told them no, be back by 2:30. They were very confused and then had an argument about what to do for the day. Good thing they asked! I just think there needs to be a little more communication about the time and also to have a picture ID with you. You should have seen the line of people on the first day in Bermuda who didn't bring ID off the ship and had to check their ship cards with a passenger list in customs.

Some of these comments range from jaw dropping to stomach churning.

IMO, one of the big reasons for our society being in the horrid mess which it seems to be in, is because the words PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY have been replaced by "Here are all the reasons it is NOT MY FAULT".

Of particular note to me was the inference that perhaps they are alcoholics. Seemingly this then gives them "just cause" to delay four thousand other passengers.

Sadly, it "don't work that way"!! Alcoholics hit a bottom and quit, or they die --- hopefully before killing others along the way. If they are, they just got their recovery postponed indefinitely by a well meaning Mom who obviously had little exposure to Al-Anon, where one learns that all the 'right' things to do with a suffering person work backwards with alcoholics.

I am skeptical that there were no signs even on NCL which I have found to be the least professional of the mainstream cruise lines. I think you just missed them this time. Also they put the times in the daily activity sheet.

I would never partake in making fun or cheering those left behind for the sake of enjoyment. Someone else's misfortune should not be any one's enjoyment.

Welcome to the real world. Can't take the public humiliation, then don't screw up or finish last.

The time was on the original itinerary paperwork and on the daily. However it was not prominently displayed. I pay attention to details, MANY people do not. I have been on 8 other NCL cruises and they have always made several announcements and displayed the all aboard time prominently at the gangway. The people in line to get off in front of us said to the crew, "back at 4:30, right?" The crew told them no, be back by 2:30. They were very confused and then had an argument about what to do for the day. Good thing they asked! I just think there needs to be a little more communication about the time and also to have a picture ID with you. You should have seen the line of people on the first day in Bermuda who didn't bring ID off the ship and had to check their ship cards with a passenger list in customs.

Wait, the time of departure wasn't on the upper right-hand side of the daily the night before? Because personally, I look at the corner of the daily to make sure there was no changes from the itinerary I wrote up for myself especially for a port stop departure time.

I think it was idiotic of NCL to change the time halfway thru the season. Of course it is going to create some confusion and having the shorter rushed day also makes likely desperate runs for the ship. And finally it appears like a beancounter decision to save money at the expense of passenger time in Bermuda. (unless there is some kind of engine problem and they can't go full speed)

It seems that 4,000 folks paid attention to details and 2 didn't, so the blame lays solely on the shoulders of the two young ladies. Also, on all my NCL cruise, they tell you to bring an id along with our keycard when departing the ship, if NCL didn't do this on your cruise shame on them.