Zeka...should I be scared?

Redtravel

Have you booked a Caribbean cruise lately? Received a letter warning about Zeka. At first, I ignored it. I figured mosquitoes usually bite at night. Wrong. It seems that the Zeka infected mosquitoes are biting during the day. Any opinions? Should I rebook to a different part of the world?

Are you pregnant? If yes or maybe soon, I would ABSOLUTELY cancel. If not, buy some good bug spray and go!

I was in San Juan a few weeks ago and I never saw a mosquito.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by denatravels

I agree with the PP. If you are now, or are planning to become pregnant within 6 months of your cruise, then you might want to consider changing your plans. Otherwise plan on taking the same mosquito precautions you would otherwise take (long sleeves, long pants and good mosquito repellant.)

I have been on 2 recent Caribbean cruises .I opted not to wear shorts but I did wear short sleeve shirts .I used an herbal insect repellent on my body and had no problems . I would say that 90% of the people on the cruise wore shorts and I only heard of one woman being bitten.

I have spoken with my OB and it is now confirmed that Zika can live in men for up to 8 months and women for 2 months. If you are pregnant or looking to become pregnant soon, I would call the dr. And seriously look into another location.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

They are finding that Zika is much worse than previously reported. I would check out the CDC website or talking to my doctor to make an informed decision on whether or not to be concerned.

We seriously considered canceling our cruise down to Mexico, the Caribbean and Central and South America last month. I am well beyond my child bearing years and researched the information that the CDC had published, and decided to go after all. I am so glad I did....what a fabulous trip. While we saw a lot of mosquitoes, especially in the jungle areas we visited, we took all the recommended precautions and were not bitten. I had lightweight, light colored long sleeved shirts and long pants, sprayed my clothing with the recommended spray and used Off Deet Wipes.

However, we were in Mexico in December before the volume of warnings came out and were bitten like crazy!! My DH did become ill and lasted about 3-4 days. We hadn't used any bug spray.

There are mosquito borne illnesses worse than Zika in some of the areas we travelled ... so it was smart using the insect repellent and we should have been doing so long before this latest warning. If I were of child bearing years, I wouldn't chance it but again, the best thing to do is to research this on a reputable website that has all the latest information.

Have you booked a Caribbean cruise lately? Received a letter warning about Zeka. At first, I ignored it. I figured mosquitoes usually bite at night. Wrong. It seems that the Zeka infected mosquitoes are biting during the day. Any opinions? Should I rebook to a different part of the world?

Just to be clear, it's not "Zika infected mosquitoes" that fly and bite during the day, it's the type of mosquito that can carry Zika (and dengue and chikengunya) that are day and night fliers..the aedes aegypti mosquito is a 24 hour opportunist...the mosquito itself is not infected though, it's a carrier.. Ans it's the female mosquito that does the carrying...FWIW..

Whether you should be scared or not is subjective. Pregnant or planning to become pregnant soon? Yes, be concerned, discuss with doctors, do research and take appropriate precautions whether that's visiting the areas with solid repellent and clothing, etc or not visiting the area at all. Other concerns include possible Guillian Barre syndrome, etc. While rare, still a possible concern... Only you know your level of concern and such... Some of us have no choice as these islands are our home...others can make informed decisions whether to visit or not. All the best to you!

Just checked cdc re Bonaire (and Curacao)

Reported several cases of GB syndrome for Bonaire for mostly age 60 +... 1 age 40s and a diabetic...

I am concerned not scared but will follow the updates..we have already booked air, pre and post cruise hotels but until final payment is due in August we will keep checking

I am in the age group of concern and diabetic...and very much loved by mosquitos!

Edited by hcat

Saving "Celebrity Cruises" the trouble of cutting and pasting from the Celebrity website:

"During Your Cruise

What should I know about the Zika virus before sailing?

On January 15, 2016 the US CDC upgraded their travel notice for Zika virus to Alert Level 2 (practice enhanced precautions). Zika virus is transmitted by mosquitoes, and symptoms include fever, headache, red eyes, rash, and joint pain. The illness is usually mild and lasts between 2-7 days. However, the alert specifically references women who are pregnant or who are trying to become pregnant. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The notice currently only affects specific cruises calling in to certain Caribbean, Central America, and South America countries. However, the situation is evolving so please regularly check the affected areas via the following link: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Guests are reminded to take enhanced precautions against biting insects by covering exposed skin, and using insect repellent. Comprehensive health information can be found at: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Of course if you are in a high risk category, you should consult with you M.D.

We have been to the Caribbean and brought DEET as a precaution. We were in some rather tropical settings and I was shocked not to see any mosquitoes. Never saw one and I am usually their food.

For most, bring along some good quality bug spray with DEET is my suggestion.

I think it's a personal risk issue. If pregnant Don't go. My wife and I (in our 60's) returned from Panama Canal cruise on Infinity (an absolutely wonderful cruise) in April and went through Mexico, Guatemala and Costa Rica as well as Panama and Curaçao. We were careful, wore repellant when appropriate (like the rain forests in Costa Rica) but never saw a mosquito nor were bitten by any. Let caution be your guide but if not pregnant I wouldn't stress over it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It's the health issue of this decade and to be taken very seriously.

I wouldn't use anything less than deet (sp?) no matter your bias against it... it works on the types of nasty buggers that carry the disease.

Just to point out a sad fact, my American cousins in the south have to start taking this new plague VERY seriously.

It's not just vacation everyone need to worry about.

It's the health issue of this decade and to be taken very seriously.

I wouldn't use anything less than deet (sp?) no matter your bias against it... it works on the types of nasty buggers that carry the disease.

Just to point out a sad fact, my American cousins in the south have to start taking this new plague VERY seriously.

It's not just vacation everyone need to worry about.

Each year we seem to have a health issue of the decade. Last year, it was

Chikungunya in the Caribbean. People were thinking of canceling their vacations a year ago. You have to weigh the risks considering your medical condition and use common sense.

In 19 cruises I have never been bit by a mosquito. I have however been bit in Florida and at home. We just got back in April from the Caribbean (including San Juan) and never saw a single mosquito. But, here in VA, I was bit just in the last couple of days. Go figure.

Unless I was pregnant or planning to be, I wouldn't change plans.

Edited by BND

Well, Zika has been in Barbados for a while now. I had it, it wasn't terrible, it left no lasting effects. I know many people who had it - left no lasting effects. ChikV was actually much worse. The only reason Zika has gotten so much attention is that for a very, very small percentage of people who get it, it can be very problematic. I can say the same for influenza - I had a friend who died from complications of the flu, as do a fair number of others every single year. So yes, evaluate your own risk and tolerance to risk, but please be realistic about it.

There are over 150 women - I believe they were all travel related - in the U.S. infected with Zika right now and more in U.S. Territories. The CDC predicts we will see outbreaks this summer IN the U.S.

This is not something to take lightly if you are of child bearing age or are older with underlying medical issues. What vacation is worth what the ramifications could bring?

• 3 weeks later...
And if all natural products actually work for you, great. I haven't found one yet that does much good.

I suggest Eco Smart Organic Insect Repellant .I used it today because I was going to a sporting event in a park surrounded by water and it worked great.

As others have mentioned, it is probably best if you speak with your doctor. No one here knows your specific medical situation or body so your doctor is the best person to speak with.

All I can share is what my family did which was to research bug sprays and use them diligently when we were on islands which had known cases. None of us were bit by a mosquito. This is also our plan for our cruise in January where three females (myself included) are of child bearing age. As mosquitoes loves me (I was bit last night while hanging outside with friends), I know this is important.

I do have a friend who lives in Puerto Rico who interestingly enough contracted Zika while on a cruise, not at home. So truly, speak with your doctor and make the decision that is best for you.