Tracy Arm..... We made it.

masterty

Someone posted on the Alaskan board that they were the 2nd trip (on their ship) that year to get that far. I think it was a Holland ship. Glad you made it.

Edited by Coral

OP - Lovely photo. I just got back from an Alaskan cruise to Tracy Arm on the Zaandam. We also got all the way in. It was an amazing day in Tracy Arm and seeing the glacier was the cherry on top. Happy you got to see it too. :)

to OP - we are taking the Star to Tracy Arm in September so it's exciting to see your picture :) One question - when you said 'we made it' does that mean there was a question as to whether you would be able to get there or just that you were excited to be there? Thanks

wow, its beautiful! so that's what it looks like! its a shame so many ships can't make it in. we didn't even get close (as in we were so far away all we could see was a tiny patch of blue through the mountain) the times I've done it.

You were very lucky. That's by far the closest I've seen a Princess ship get in, I've always been stopped at the Y split at the island. Looks like you got quite a bit past that.

I've done the Adventure Bound trip at least 4 times and have been right up close and personal with the Glacier, IMHO its one of the most photogenic ones in Alaska as far as color and calving

to OP - we are taking the Star to Tracy Arm in September so it's exciting to see your picture :) One question - when you said 'we made it' does that mean there was a question as to whether you would be able to get there or just that you were excited to be there? Thanks

I'm guessing because they got so close. 9 of the 10 ships we've taken to Tracy Arm turned around when you got your first glimpse of the top of the glacier.

I have never been to Alaska. What would be the reason the ships turn around and dont go in, weather, fog? What stops them?

Usually it's ice conditions at Sawyer Glacier. But sometimes weather conditions such as fog or wind prevent ships from even entering Tracy Arm. It's quite narrow in spots. This is how close we got on my cruise. As you can see the OP is quite a bit closer to the glacier than that:

2513057660_5bd9123a03_z.jpg?zz=1Tracy Arm, Alaska by Jasperdo, on Flickr

Usually it's ice conditions at Sawyer Glacier. But sometimes weather conditions such as fog or wind prevent ships from even entering Tracy Arm. It's quite narrow in spots. This is how close we got on my cruise. As you can see the OP is quite a bit closer to the glacier than that:

2513057660_5bd9123a03_z.jpg?zz=1Tracy Arm, Alaska by Jasperdo, on Flickr

Thank you for the reply Jasperdo! Yes, I guess the OP did get lucky.

Karen

We were there last July, had no idea that getting there was so a typical. I now realize how lucky we were to this site. The photos take me right back to that day. What a great ride up to the glacier and what an unexpected sight the glacier was.