Do you pack different acording to line?

Gallivanting Souls

Do you pack differently for different cruise lines?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Do you pack differently for different cruise lines?

• Yes
    • No
    • Same

Do you pack different according to what cruise line you are sailing.

Example: Princess still has formal nights. Carnival has Elegant nights?

So far on Princess, we have brought our formal wear. We do checked bags. I am wondering if we might be able to do carry on only on Carnival? We have two upcoming Carnival Cruises (both Caribbean). We will take some formal attire on the first and after that play it by ear. I would like to hear what are your thoughts on the matter!

Edited by familyoutdoors

I put yes, simply because of our QM2 crossing for which I did pack more formal wear than usual (although I always pack something for formal night). And I will of course adjust my packing depending on destination. Not a completely different wardrobe, but variations on a theme.:)

We sail almost exclusively out of SoCal.

On Carnival we wear black bottoms and a pretty top. Wear the same on Princess.

On Carnival DH wears a Hawaiian type shirt and Khakis every night. His one Princess cruise he did the same, but it was a three day out of LA. A very relaxed cruise.

Edited by SadieN

I voted "yes".

When we sailed on NCL it was very casual every night.

Cunard -- very formal.

HAL -- now has Gala nights and people dress however they want to -- getting similar to NCL. DH no longer takes his tuxedo but does take a suit and/or jacket.

Princess -- it has been a while since we were on them.

Do you pack different according to what cruise line you are sailing.

Example: Princess still has formal nights. Carnival has Elegant nights?

So far on Princess, we have brought our formal wear. We do checked bags. I am wondering if we might be able to do carry on only on Carnival? We have two upcoming Carnival Cruises (both Caribbean). We will take some formal attire on the first and after that play it by ear. I would like to hear what are your thoughts on the matter!

Yes, we pack differently, the only time I take a dinner suit is in Cunard.

But always take a dark suit.

I voted yes although so far we have pretty much packed the same things because there is little difference between the dress codes for the lines we've been on, but if we sail a more upscale line I would at least consider packing the tux.

Any sort of partial body covering, love it!

Edited by sparks1093

I pack based first on itinerary, then I think about the line.

High Arctic on Lindblad -- no dressy clothes at all. Luggage space is all about waterproof boots, warm layers, hiking clothes, binoculars, camera gear.

British Isles on Celebrity -- nicer clothing in general. (J Jill and Eileen Fisher) I'll bring one basic dress and some nice shoes and jewelry or scarves to change the look.

Flogging Molly booze cruise on NCL -- I make sure to have some sort of clothing on.

I never participate in formal nights. I don't enjoy getting glitzed up in real life, and I avoid it while on vacation.

The land portion of our trips always make more differance in what we pack than the cruise part.

The next trip coming up we will take water proof hiking boots for the land portion. Clothing will remain the same.

The cruise portion is an East bound TA, followed about 3 1/2 weeks later by a Westbound TA.

:)

Agree with another post...about packing differently for Cunard...especially when it involves crossings on the Queen Mary 2. That particular line is very formal and they do enforce the evening dress code in both the MDR and Ballroom. On a typical 6 night crossing you will have 3 Formal Nights (and they do mean Black Tie or a dark suit) and 2 other semi-formal nights (men must wear a jacket and tie).

Hank

I said no. I will pack according to where I am going. A Med cruise will be packed for differently than a Caribbean cruise or a Pacific Coastal cruise. I choose to not cruise on lines where formal wear is required as I have no desire to pack a gown and I can get where I want to cruise on many lines that do not suggest anything over Country Club Casual (which is what most wear on non-required-formal nights). If my LBD isn't sufficient, I don't want to be there... If what I pack is good enough to be accepted at a fine dining establishment in a major city, it should be good enough for a mediocre dinner in a faux-elegant MDR...