What got you hooked on using Cruise Critic?

USN59-79

Kazu started a nice thread on what makes CC special and the title answered the question. Thought I would ask if others have had experiences similar to mine that got me hooked - made me realize how useful CC can be for us.

Here is mine: A few years ago we booked a 49 day cruise around South America on Carnival. They were repositioning the Splendor from Florida to California and the cruise was very inexpensive. We thought that we needed Brazil visas, so I asked my TA. He checked with Carnival and got the answer: None required as they were just stopping there, no one embarking there. About ten days before the cruise my DD, who was in the travel industry suggested that I look at Cruise Critic and check our Roll Call. I did, and people were talking about their Brazil visas. I posted a question asking if we really needed them. The reply was that you won't board the ship without them. I called Carnival and they said "Sorry, this is the first time we have stopped at Brazil and we made a mistake. They recommended a rather expensive visa service. I then called my TA and he apologized, said he should have known better than to believe Carnival, and recommended a Miami visa service with a quick turnaround and said he would pick up the extra $100. expediting cost. We got the visa and when we boarded there were more than 100 passengers that were denied boarding. They stayed overnight in Miami, got their visas and met the ship at its next port. Of course Carnival took no responsibility for their extra cost and hassle. At that point I realized that CC is an extremely useful website. We were already hooked on cruising, but that got us hooked on using Cruise Critic.

Unfortunately when we started cruising -- back in the 80's -- there wasn't even Internet.

So we had to work everything out on our own.

By the time I joined CC in 2001, we pretty knew what kind of cabins we liked and had tried several cruise lines.

I still have questions and do use CC to look for answers for certain ports. And I do try to help others -- especially new cruises.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.......

Oh wait....that's the opening to Star Wars. :D Seriously I actually came across the predecessor to Cruise Critic on AOL I think back in 1992-93. I was trying to talk the ex into going on our first cruise. We did two cruises together in 1994 and 1995. Shortly thereafter I dropped the ex and AOL and kind of lost interest in cruising. Come 2003 and I'm back researching cruising again and I come across Cruise Critic. Been here ever since.

Edited by Randyk47

I think the first time we used CC was on our first TA from Venice to FLL. We met some lovely folks who we stay in touch with and also cruise with from time to time.

I have gained so much information from these boards. Just recently, I changed my air arrangements with HAL and there was no problem and they just did as I requested and at a lower cost than our original plans. Way to go HAL!:D

Kazu introduced me to CC. Thank you Jacqui.

She also introduced my DW and I to cruising when we took our first cruise in 2010 on the Zuiderdam with her and Jose and a couple of other friends. She said I should sign up for CC so that I could sign up for the Roll Call for the cruise as well as find out all there was to know about cruising.

Best thing I've ever done!:)

Since then we haven't looked back and really enjoy cruising and will become 4* after our next cruise.

Kazu introduced me to CC. Thank you Jacqui.

She also introduced my DW and I to cruising when we took our first cruise in 2010 on the Zuiderdam with her and Jose and a couple of other friends. She said I should sign up for CC so that I could sign up for the Roll Call for the cruise as well as find out all there was to know about cruising.

Best thing I've ever done!:)

Since then we haven't looked back and really enjoy cruising and will become 4* after our next cruise.

I know this is slightly off topic as it refers to Shrimpboat123's post only, but may I just say:

HOLY COW! You took your first cruise in 2010 and your going to be four star already? Color me impressed! We started cruising in 1994, and while we could theoretically hit 4* later this year, it's unlikely.

Good for you! :D

Beg pardon for the interruption. Please carry on.

Edited by POA1

On the final cruise of the Royal Princess in May 2005, I saw a woman wearing a hat with Cruise Critic on it and asked her what is was. She then told me about Cruise Critic. Back then (I think) one did not have to join to participate so I lurked for a couple of years before signing on.

I read cruise critic for ages before I signed on as I wanted to read and join our roll call.

Roll calls and cc have led me to meet a lot of wonderful people. Both in person and on these boards

Cc has taught me a lot, so if I can give back, I think it's only fair.

I enjoy our roll calls and cc and the enthusiasm o cruising

I can't remember how I first ran across CC. I had two cruises planned and I must have googled something about cruising and it popped up. I had a little trouble navigating through the forums at first but once I conquered that, I was hooked. I learned so much for my last cruise and thoroughly enjoyed meeting the people on the roll call.

I stumbled across CC on AOL before my first cruise in 2000. It was my first experience with a message board, and I never even thought to make up a screen name...hence, I will forever be known as Cindy both here and in real life.:D I also remember we paid for internet by the minute...my husband wasn't real happy when he saw that bill!:eek:

CC was pretty small at the time. If I remember correctly, there was one forum for roll calls -- all ships and cruise lines were jumbled together!

I've gotten a tremendous amount of great advice here over the years, I've made good friends that we still cruise with, and I hope I've done my part to help others who are excitedly planning a cruise.:)

What an interesting question!

In the later years of my professional career, I was forced into using the computer and introduced to online resources. Much to my surprise, I found some useful web sites related to my profession and began being more attuned to other sites in the printed media that discussed areas of non-professional interest. Cruise Critic was one of those.

I retired. No computer at home. I was having difficulty in establishing regular communications with my close relatives. Gateway was one of the sponsors of the 2002 Winter Olympics and offered some very good prices of their packages, along with local classes on how to master this "beast" that was (and still is) so strange to me. I made my purchase, got online, remembering Cruise Critic--I registered--and the rest is history.

Never have I had any regret in joining this community! I have learned much, I hope I have helped others based upon my experience (and hope to continue to do so), I have gained face-to-face friends because of the Roll Calls and have sailed since that initial contact in 2002 with several (with plans to sail with at least one more within the next few months), and feel online "friendship" with several CC posters, particularly on the threads that deal with the sailaways from Port Everglades. To think that I "know" people in the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the Netherlands, and many of the States of the United States, and that they are at least aware of me, boggles my mind.

WOW!

When I stated cruising 53 years ago, there was no internet.

I found CC when I got my first computer in 2000 when checking for cruise reviews.

My daughter noticed I liked to read the CC message boards in 2001 and ask me why I didn't join. :o Told her I didn't know how. She actually signed me up and used OCruisers as the screen name.

LuLu

USN59-

What a great story to share.

I found CC from a referral on another cruise forum at the time.

It's been a long time but if I remember correctly, I was using WebTV at the time. Remember them? :D I was playing around on it and stumbled upon the other forum. I really enjoyed it there and when I saw a reference to CC, I found my way over here. I never go to that other site anymore but sure do like coming here. :)

'Back then', there were a few other cruise forums but CC is the leader. Some of the others have disappeared.

I have learned so much here I now try to pay it forward. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Everything I've learned in this forum prior to our first made cruising easier. After day one, you just keep coming back to learn more.

We also found CC prior to our first cruise in 2002 which was helpful. Now with a few cruises under our belt, we still use CC as an information source for where ever we might want to venture on a cruise ship/ riverboat, as well as any port stops anywhere in the world. :)

Edited by PROCRUISE

I came here after about a year on Cruise Chat/Cruise Reviews. At first I was embarrassed/stunned/hurt a few times when asking a question that started a firefight. It took me a while to put on my armor. There are still times when I think people's responses are pretty unfortunate and it's a shame. But it's been about nine years and I can honestly say that until this spring I checked CC at least once a day. I've learned an insane amount about cruising! At first I was frantic that I would forget my over-door shoe holder, highlighter, duct tape and all the other things that are the last thing on earth I actually do need! Sooo much info. But the first cruise I planned after joining CC was a two-flight trip to Houston, car rental and hotel in Galveston, and a cruise with me as the only adult with four of my kids- the oldest was 14, the youngest was 5. Honest to god- if I had not had a few months of research on CC under my belt I don't know what I would have done. So much opportunity for error on that trip and it went off without a hitch. I do miss a lot of the regular posters on the HAL board who have left, and I am quite happy with the changes made to the Carnival board a couple of years ago.

I actually had to go and check my stats page to find out when I joined CC. I feel like I have been here forever but it is only since 2010, our 40th anniversary cruise (on RCCL). There is a comfort level on the HAL board.

I have learned many things here, hopefully have been able to help with what I post about. I read more than I post - someone usually posts with exactly what I am thinking!! I enjoy the HAL forum because of the people, who are also helpful on aspects not related to cruising (ladies, you know who you are, thank you again).

Two years ago we were planning an expedition to Antarctica to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary and I had a lot of questions about before and after the cruise. I had always used TripAdvisor, and I eventually started posting. I couldn't use the name I originally chose, and they recommended I put a "0" in instead of an "o" and that worked. I found it very helpful regarding hotels, etc., but when we came back and I was recounting our adventures, someone hurt my feelings, and I've never posted there since. Silly, I know, but I'm not into contentious issues, and I back away from arguments. I realize that being part of a community means listening to and participating in debate, but I get emotionally involved!

Anyway, last spring (2013), I started lurking on Cruise Critic instead, and I learned so much and found so much support and good will that I eventually had to start posting, and I am certainly addicted now. I DO NOT post on smoking threads!:D

Cindy, Gig 'Em.

POA1, you are never off topic.

Our first cruise was pre-internet, or nearly. But years later we planned another cruise and through the magic and metatags of the Internet, I found CC. The wealth of information, especially on the HAL forum was so helpful, and the contributors so accommodating, that I read regularly, lurking when not booked, posting when I am and enjoying the community of people who love this activity.

We were booked for a cruise in 2007 and I stumbled upon another cruise forum... someone there was also booked for the same cruise and on the CC Roll Call; they invited us to the CC Meet and Greet. Great people there and I even met a women from my county who is also a volunteer EMT, as am I! Small world! But CCers had so much experience and knowledge and promptly answered my many questions that I've been here ever since. Thank you so much to CC and all the CCers who make this forum such a positive experience for thousands. m--

We started using Cruise Critic in 2002. (Different user names, different e-mail provider, long story.) DW (@Huskerchick) was planning a cruise for my 40th birthday. We were taking two other couples with us on the Zuiderdam. She booked the Penthouse for us and Cat S suites (old naming convention) for our friends. We started reading Cruise Critic to prepare for the trip.

To be honest, it scared the hell out of us.

This wasn't an inexpensive trip and we were taking two other couples who had never cruised before. If we were to believe what we read on CC, we were headed for disaster. According to many posters on the board, anything that could possibly be faulty on a ship was wrong with the Zuiderdam. We had sailed on Holland America twice before this trip. Once on the old Noordam and once on the Ryndam. Based on our previous experience - and our experience with the super-high quality of semi-anonymous Internet information in general - we decided go ahead with the trip. Instead of focusing on posts about the ship, we read about HAL in general, the ports of call, activities, and so on.

I won't say that the naysayers were full of crap, but it would not be inaccurate to describe them as Porta-Potties on legs.

We had a great trip. Everyone enjoyed themselves immensely and we have cruised together on many occasions since. I guess I'm really skirting the question.... Here's a better answer: What keeps us coming back to CC is the quality of the information. The wealth and breadth of knowledge is astounding! If you read the messages for any period of time, you develop a critical eye and you learn who can be trusted to give you the correct answer.

The vast majority of the people on the boards want to help and do their best to help others. (I would post a list, but I am sure I'd forget someone and I don't want to leave anyone out.) Ask a question. Any question. Odds are that you will have a correct answer within a matter of minutes. If you spend enough time perusing the boards, reading everything in sight, you will amass a treasure trove of knowledge. Almost all of it is helpful. Some of it is truly game changing. (Hello write-in chocolate breakfast croissant!) I highly recommend that you make note of the interesting tidbits you learn whilst you troll the site.

Speaking of trolls.... Yes, they exist. You can't let them bother you. Keep a list of their usernames. That way, when you see them behaving the same way in the future, you'll know to ignore them. Do not engage them. They thrive on it. Realize that someone's going to post something that offends you at some point. You can't let it bother you. Most of the time, it's unintentional. If it is intentional, then add them to your "Roll of Trolls."

Hmmmm.... Still not really an answer.

What I like best about this message board is that it's frequented by a lot of very, very nice people who have helped us out by providing copious amounts of very valuable information. And of course, I enjoy being able to return the favor and help other people out.

duty_calls.png

Comic from XKCD by Randall Munroe. xkcd.com

Edited by POA1
Added XKCD attribution

Wow, how do I possibly follow that post by POA1! :-) Loved it!

Once upon a time, a long, long time ago in pre - 1996 my DH introduced me to something called the internet. He had a university account, he had been given the use of it by emergency services in order to set up a linked system for emergency services to use through the ham radio if and when an earthquake hits us here in Vancouver. I was fascinated, but of course would not dream of 'surfing' on a government account. I patiently waited until 'dial-up' and when 'pay by the minute' usage became available, which I think was about a year or so down the road. At that time we were planning a Baltic cruise on the Royal Viking Sun (now the Prisendam) so the first thing I did was 'surf' for information on the ports. After finding out all kinds of things on Denmark & Copenhagen, I found a sight quite by accident (which I believe was Fromers), that was all about 'cruising'. It had a 'cruise forum' on it and from there I was lost forever. DH would get up at 3AM and gently lead me away from the computer telling me I must sleep sometime, and besides that, we were going broke from the per minute charges and from me being late every morning at work.

There was really a nice bunch of cruisers on there, but one day things started heating up and people started throwing muck about. I believe we had discovered at that time what happens when you feed the trolls. A few people came on (and I don't recall what year this was - possibly 1999 - 2000) and reported that there was this really great site that had just started up called 'Cruise Critic' and that everyone was really polite & nice & asked and answered questions instead stirring up trouble. Most of us went over to that board and it truly was a 'nice' board. As one poster mentioned, everything was all smushed in one board - no roll calls, no cruise line sections, no lounge (and yes we sure did get off-topic a lot!) no ports of call or review sections. And as the other poster in this thread mentioned, first names were still available & not many of us thought to make up screen names. "Lynda" was already taken so I had to settle for Lynda S. But that was OK! How I ended up with my date of joining being later as per my profile, I don't know because I think I was on Cruise Critic earlier than it shows there. Maybe we didn't have to register at first, I can't recall.

I don't recall which board it was, but does anyone remember the assignment of the 'jobs' on board? Everyone on the forum was given a job on the good ship "......" (I can't remember the name it was given). I was the Shore Ex manager. It was great fun.

My fondest memories of who's who on Cruise Critic in the old days was a young fellow, cannot recall his name, but he was 14 at the time & he had already been on 10 cruises & was hooked. We were astounded when he told us he was 14! My other fond memory was 'peter' - does anyone remember him? He lived in Vancouver, and at the time he was about 60 (which seemed old to me at the time) and was very knowledgeable, friendly, had served in the navy while in England and had been on a ton of cruises. He passed away in about 2001 and I still miss him on the boards.

And I still love it today, even though it scares me to death sometimes when I stumble upon some of the 'things' that are pointed out that one really should not do on board. :-) On our last cruise in May, my 89-yr old mom called me from her cabin and said 'lets go swimming'. I automatically said 'OK mom, but DON'T wear your bath robe over your bathing suit, put your clothes over your suit instead.....' When she asked me what she would do later after getting out of the pool all wet, I didn't have an answer for her. Um, um, well OK, I said, wear the bath robe up but heavens please don't walk through the LIDO area in it! Little did I think that that was the only way she knew how to get to the pool so she was very late meeting up with me trying to figure out how to get to the pool area without walking through the LIDO restaurant in her bathrobe. :-)

I just knew there was a good reason why I hadn't been swimming in a long time!

Another wonderful thread and a great walk down memory lane! Thank you!

Edited by Lynda S
forgot a sentence