The new " Edge " class ship information/ date.

Kevnzworld

I haven't seen any updates on the new ships in awhile. An officer on the Equinox told me in July that it's scheduled to sail in fall 2017.

I've also heard that it's smaller, 2000 passengers, and mostly suites.

Any other or more accurate info?

An officer on the Equinox told me in July that it's scheduled to sail in fall 2017. I've also heard that it's smaller, 2000 passengers, and mostly suites.

And I was on Equinox and heard that the "Edge" class ships were designed to be smaller than the "S" class ships. But there had been so many design changes and updates, that they would be approximately the same size as "S" class.:D

I do not put faith in any rumors, etc that I hear until we see the finished product. :)

I think whoever spoke with you had the date wrong....reading on line,

the first ship is supposed to be in fleet in 2018.

Yes. Sorry, I meant 2018. The new 2018 schedule coming out in the fall 2016 should include it....

Yes. Sorry, I meant 2018. The new 2018 schedule coming out in the fall 2016 should include it....

Since they have not even had the first steel cutting, I would not expect it until late 2018. Celebrity seems to like to announce names of ships on one of the four days when the seasons change. Would not be surprised to see a press release in Sept. or Dec. when fall and winter come. This is in line with the celestial types of names they have always used.

Edge class is 50' shorter and 2' wider than Solstice class. Capacity of Edge is 2900 compared to 2850 on Equinox. S

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

This is what I've read. I've seen many comments state that they will be smaller than S class and bigger than M class.

I guess people are comparing them to Reflection which has over 3,000 passengers and not Solstice, Equinox and Eclipse etc.

Everything anyone reads about them or hears about them at present is pure speculation. A Celebrity employee did tell he'd expect the new ships to debut in the Med, however with recent issues I guess it's a game of wait and see!

If anyone from Celebrity reads this:

Please' date=' no storage over beds.

More drawer space like on the pre-Solstice classes.[/quote']

no no no no no no

I love the storage over the bed - if you don't like it, don't use it but some of us love having that extra space there!

no no no no no no

I love the storage over the bed - if you don't like it, don't use it but some of us love having that extra space there!

The first experience, I didn't care for it. However, after the suggestion to take 3 of the foldable, fabric cubes (used in bookshelves, etc,) we LOVED it the last time. I bought 6 of the least expensive cubes (as they are the lightest weight), 3 for each side. I chose 3 different colors for each side which made it easier to know which to pull down. As I folded clothes to pack, I folded them so that once in the stateroom they could go directly into the cubes. On DH's side, gym shorts, socks and casual T's in one, another held Bermudas while the 3rd held polo shirts. On my side they held casual knit tops, work-out clothes, etc with one set aside aor small clutch for nights, crushable hats, etc. even at 5'3", I could reach all using the little loop on the front of the cube.

I know that key opening crew including the Captain are known, but the information has yet to be released. Celebrity will use time to create excitement and demand. My guess is that information will be rolled out slowly.

If anyone from Celebrity reads this:

Please' date=' no storage over beds.

More drawer space like on the pre-Solstice classes.[/quote']

I agree.

no no no no no no

There's no place else for storage you have to use it.

We sailed Silhoutte once and the layout of our inside cabin was terrible. The desk was right across from the bed, you could not even pull out the chair without hitting the bed. We had ONE chair and a table in a corner, no couch like on M Class ships. We never went back on an S Class ship and that was over 4 years ago now.

Of course they probably won't even have any inside cabins on the new ships so they can jack up the prices even more.

Edited by CruisingChick

I know that key opening crew including the Captain are known, but the information has yet to be released. Celebrity will use time to create excitement and demand. My guess is that information will be rolled out slowly.

An accurate statement indeed. Captain Kafetzis, currently on Silhouette- will be opening the Edge Class. I attended a navigation lecture by him onboard 18 August where he said was going to Edge.

05db4573b430bf50cce7e2312b4c1a01.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by bob221b1

A Celebrity employee did tell he'd expect the new ships to debut in the Med, however with recent issues I guess it's a game of wait and see!

Looks like it may be doing Alaska and Australia runs. Unless something else is being shuffled to there, which it replaces.

An accurate statement indeed. Captain Kafetzis, currently on Silhouette- will be opening the Edge Class. I attended a navigation lecture by him onboard 18 August where he said was going to Edge.

05db4573b430bf50cce7e2312b4c1a01.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, he made it public. Told me in April. We joked that they selected an old and good looking Captain. He is a really fine choice and has opened other ships. Very experienced. Some of the top restaurant staff are also in place, but I don't feel free to name names until someone " in the know" makes it public.

I agree.

There's no place else for storage you have to use it.

We sailed Silhoutte once and the layout of our inside cabin was terrible. The desk was right across from the bed, you could not even pull out the chair without hitting the bed. We had ONE chair and a table in a corner, no couch like on M Class ships. We never went back on an S Class ship and that was over 4 years ago now.

Of course they probably won't even have any inside cabins on the new ships so they can jack up the prices even more.

I'm pretty certain that Edge class ships on the whole will be more expensive than S class. Just as S class on the whole are more costly to sail on than M class. I think we can take that as a given.

What will be interesting to see is if they attempt to build ships which challenge the Oceania fleet in terms of luxury or just roll out more modern versions of Solstice class.

I haven't seen any updates on the new ships in awhile. An officer on the Equinox told me in July that it's scheduled to sail in fall 2017.

I've also heard that it's smaller, 2000 passengers, and mostly suites.

Any other or more accurate info?

The only thing that Celebrity has said about Edge class ships is that they will be slightly smaller than S-Class as stated by oneputt18. Everything else is pure speculation. There has been a lot of early speculation here on suites or dedicated suite areas, which then turns into dogma on this board- but no info from Celebrity other than ship size and approximate completion dates.

The first experience, I didn't care for it. However, after the suggestion to take 3 of the foldable, fabric cubes (used in bookshelves, etc,) we LOVED it the last time. I bought 6 of the least expensive cubes (as they are the lightest weight), 3 for each side. I chose 3 different colors for each side which made it easier to know which to pull down. As I folded clothes to pack, I folded them so that once in the stateroom they could go directly into the cubes. On DH's side, gym shorts, socks and casual T's in one, another held Bermudas while the 3rd held polo shirts. On my side they held casual knit tops, work-out clothes, etc with one set aside aor small clutch for nights, crushable hats, etc. even at 5'3", I could reach all using the little loop on the front of the cube.

Excellent advice. We found out about these cubes 2 years ago and they are perfect for the over the bed storage.

Edited by lienf
Spelling

The first experience, I didn't care for it. However, after the suggestion to take 3 of the foldable, fabric cubes (used in bookshelves, etc,) we LOVED it the last time. I bought 6 of the least expensive cubes (as they are the lightest weight), 3 for each side.

This is a fantastic suggestion. Everything always ends up a mess after a few days of trying to sort through the piles. I can't wait to try it in October on the Equinox.

no no no no no no

Yes...I'm with you on the overhead storage. I'm not that tall, but I can still reach from both sides of the bed. This frees up floor space.

This is a fantastic suggestion. Everything always ends up a mess after a few days of trying to sort through the piles. I can't wait to try it in October on the Equinox.

I pack most of my clothes in " packing cubes" and "packing envelopes".

They keep everything organized and none of my stuff touched anything inside drawers.

Yes...I'm with you on the overhead storage. I'm not that tall, but I can still reach from both sides of the bed. This frees up floor space.

I spent more time jumping up and down off the bed, which can't be good on a moving cruise ship - can you say accident waiting to happen - in order to get things in and out of the over the bed storage bins. I am only 5 feet and not only were those a problem but the rod in the closet is so high I could barely hang my clothes up in the closet and the bar that pulls down is too low and the clothes touch the bottom of the closet. Whomever designed these staterooms should have been fired.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebrity_Cruises

Has details on Edge class with citations albeit from some back - nothing in this indicates they will be much smaller than the Eclipse / Equinox / Solstice - very slightly smaller gross tonnage + similar passenger numbers - if true, can't see how that configures to more suites and no inside cabins