Princess getting strict on what you pack

Kimmer727

I have read in several reviews that Princess is now confiscating power strips and curling irons. My hot rollers are a must for me on a cruise and I am wondering if anyone has experienced having their rollers / curling irons taken out of their luggage recently.

We have always brought an extension cord...gives us a couple more outlets 4 now instead of 2 and also in case the cabin we have has no outlets near the bed we can charge the tablet and be on it at the same time. Have only needed to pull it out once when the cabin had no outlets near the bed so we used it to charge and use tablet while laying in bed.

The issue of hot curlers is a big one for Mrs. XBGuy. ;) So. preparatory to our upcoming cruise I logged onto the Princess site and tried to find some definitive information.

Looking at the Passage Contract, Section 13 covers "Baggage and Personal Effects."

You may not take on board firearms, controlled or prohibited substances, inflammable or hazardous items, any other items prohibited by applicable law, or any other item Carrier deems in its sole discretion to be detrimental to the safety, security, comfort or well-being of any person.

OK, the "any other item Carrier deems in its sole discretion to be detrimental" phrase seems to give them a lot of leeway in deciding what can or cannot be brought on board.

However, the very next sentence seems to indicate that the passenger can see a definitive, comprehensive list of prohibitions:

A complete list of prohibited items may be found at
This list is subject to change without notice; You should contact Carrier for questions regarding the potential prohibition of any other item. You agree Carrier has, at all times with or without notice, the right to enter and search Your stateroom, personal safe or storage spaces, or to search You, Your baggage and/or personal effects at any location.

So, I went to the FAQs and looked at "Prohibited Items." The list is lengthy and I can't seem to copy it over here and preserve the formatting. However, I see no reference to curling irons or hot rollers. However, the list concludes with:

The above list is not exhaustive. The Ship Security Officer and Staff Captain are authorized to make a professional judgement as to the legality of any item, declared, detected or discovered.

So, between this and the phrasing in the Passage Contract, it seems that Princess does have discretionary powers.

On the other hand. Immediately after that disclamer, there are several paragraphs regarding the Samsung Galaxy 7 telephone. This tells me that this section has been updated fairly recently. If there is some issue with curling irons or hot rollers, they could have taken the opportunity to add them to the list.

Regardless, I suggested to Mrs. XBGuy that she investigate hot rollers with an automatic "off" feature. Her inititial check with Amazon has turned up nothing. Do such things exist?

I have read in several reviews that Princess is now confiscating power strips and curling irons. My hot rollers are a must for me on a cruise and I am wondering if anyone has experienced having their rollers / curling irons taken out of their luggage recently.

We have always brought an extension cord...gives us a couple more outlets 4 now instead of 2 and also in case the cabin we have has no outlets near the bed we can charge the tablet and be on it at the same time. Have only needed to pull it out once when the cabin had no outlets near the bed so we used it to charge and use tablet while laying in bed.

I've attached the Princess Safety information PDF letter which includes this statement: "The use of extension cords fitted with surge protection devices are prohibited in staterooms. The use of non-thermostatically controlled kettles and water heaters, together with the use of irons, is not permitted in your stateroom; please do not bring this type of equipment with you". So that could explain confiscating power strips which most likely are surge protected & are hazardous onboard a ship.

The reasons for not using any type of a surge protected device has been discussed on CC threads & a cruise ship chief engineer has explained why they are dangerous. Even though the Princess statement is that extension cords fitted with surge protection devices are prohibited in staterooms, he has explained why any device with surge protection is hazardous on a ship. I am thankful that he explained the dangers of these devices & I now have a multiple plug/USB non surge protected device (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MF40F6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

It doesn't state that curling irons or hair curlers are prohibited.

Safety_Information.pdf

1618844727_MonsterPoweroutlets.jpg.04a3a22cbd5afe4317618ea69c3a45c8.jpg

Edited by Astro Flyer

Regardless, I suggested to Mrs. XBGuy that she investigate hot rollers with an automatic "off" feature. Her inititial check with Amazon has turned up nothing. Do such things exist?

I have never seen hot rollers with automatic "off" switch. On our last cruise, on DISNEY Wonder - they did take our hot rollers out of our suitcases and left them at the terminal!! We had to go to lost and found counter after we got off the ship and retrieve them - what a pain that was. I have never had Princess take them on any cruise I have been on - but a recent review of the Island Princess - someone said they are starting to take curling irons .etc. We are going on the Crown next month - so I guess that will be the "test" to see if they get through. :cool:

Never had a problem with my curling iron. It does have automatic shut-off but I'm not sure they could tell that by looking at it. If they start confiscating my curling iron I guess I'm done cruising.:eek:

I would imagine that you will have lots of company, myself included.

My extension cord is the old style and has no surge protection on it. Just 1 end with a plug and at the other end a box with 2 plugs on 1 side and 1 on the other...no reset or surge protection note on it ...it is quite literally probably back from the early 80s. .lol..

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Astro Flyer, thank you for posting that safety PDF. I am sure that I have received it in the past, but I am very embarrassed to admit that I don't recall ever reading it. My bad.

Kimmer, your story totally sucks. I know that I would not want that to happen to us. I am now on a quest to find hot rollers with an "auto off" feature. You might be able to guess how many times we've been rolling down the driveway on our way to an event when I hear, "Hold on a sec. I have to go back an check that I unplugged my curlers." ;)

I just contact the cruiseline & mention what I need for my CPAP machine(distilled water & extension cord) & it's there when we arrive.

My extension cord is the old style and has no surge protection on it. Just 1 end with a plug and at the other end a box with 2 plugs on 1 side and 1 on the other...no reset or surge protection note on it ...it is quite literally probably back from the early 80s. .lol..

Then you're good to go as long as the old cord isn't getting worn out like some of mine. ;)

Astro Flyer, thank you for posting that safety PDF. I am sure that I have received it in the past, but I am very embarrassed to admit that I don't recall ever reading it. My bad.

Not your bad!!! :p I think it's Princess' bad because searching their website doesn't lead to finding that document nor do I recall ever receiving the Safety Information letter.

I only discovered the Safety Information when viewing all of the various cruise documents through my Cruise Personalizer for a future booked cruise. And as your helpful research discovered, there's nothing in the Passage Contract either. Based on the cruise ship chief engineer's input, all surge protected devices are potentially dangerous & Princess is bad for not making it easy to learn that surge protected devices are now prohibited. :eek:

Here's a link to a recent discussion about surge protected devices & I'm going to follow the recommendations of a highly educated career chief engineer (chengkp75) and when he says things such as "Surge protectors on ships are like heart disease, it is a "silent killer" it's unwise for anyone to use them. But Princess makes it too difficult to learn about the potential danger so not many know about it which included me until recent threads. :(

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2405708

Edited by Astro Flyer

I am thinking of packing a small electric kettle with auto shut off for our Baltic cruise next year.

In our cabin on Diamond in SE ASIA last year I asked the steward for one and he brought it to us no problem.

We used it every morning for tea and Via (Starbucks coffee packets)

Wish they had them on every ship.

The challenge with power strips is that many are of the very cheap made in China variety.

They are prone to overheating especially when several items are connected and as such are viewed as a fire hazard by the staff.

We spent 25 days on the Royal last month. Our extension cord which does have a surge protector and three curling irons were on the desk every day with no issues. No one asked to see any of them when we boarded.

I suspect the cabin staff didn't recognize the risk. Wonder if you would bring it again. My understanding is that a surge protector if activated dumps excess power to the ground. Problem on a ship is that the ground is the hull. Not a good plan. Hence the ban.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Forums mobile app

We spent 25 days on the Royal last month. Our extension cord which does have a surge protector and three curling irons were on the desk every day with no issues. No one asked to see any of them when we boarded.

We can only hope you will NOT bringing it on your future cruises.

Theo