Is it true that you can stay in your cabin?

billy10

Is it true that you can stay in your cabin on Hal until it is time to get off on last day? Thanks for info

Yes. You can stay in your stateroom until your disembarkation color is called (you get to choose your disembarkation time sometime during the cruise and will be given a color).

Until I became handicapped, we were able to stay in our cabin until our color/number was called.

You will get a form to complete sometime during the cruise where you indicate what time you would like to disembark the ship. It basically depends on how you are getting home.

Yes people can stay in their cabins, but I know that cabin stewards appreciate us leaving. They have so much to do in a short time.

Sandra

Cabin stewards have mentioned that there are always enough people who want to debark early --- so those few cabins remaining occupied can simply be done a bit later.

We always do the room breakfast thing also. It just makes that day much more relaxing. The room stewards will sometimes want to strip the bed to get that started but otherwise they just leave you alone until you leave your room. It is a great feature of HAL.

We always do the room breakfast thing also. It just makes that day much more relaxing. The room stewards will sometimes want to strip the bed to get that started but otherwise they just leave you alone until you leave your room. It is a great feature of HAL.

Yes, the cabin stewards will still do things in your cabin to prepare for the new passengers.

Beds will be stripped and remade (and rearranged to a different configuration if needed for the next cruise), towels and other trash in the bathroom will be removed, etc.

There may be some other little things done also.

Of course, we do leave to have a leisurely breakfast in the Lido and let the cabin steward know he can do whatever he needs to do while we are gone. Why make his life more difficult?

One year, we had a last minute flight time change so decided to stay on a little later (we weren’t thinking, and should have informed the desk). Maintenance came by and was ready to do some work, it all worked out, but just be sure to have the correct time slotted.

Also, we have had last minute beverage checks the morning of departure, so just be aware you may get a knock at the door.

It really is a nice feature and beats rushing around to make an early flight (although HAL is quite accommodating there, too!).

Edited by syesmar
spacing

I thought being able to stay in the cabin until called to disembark was a marvelous feature on HAL, when I was able to take advantage of it.

Anyone who needs to be disembarked in a wheelchair must go to a specific area to check in, and wait until they are both called, and there is a wheelchair w/pusher to help them off. That wait can extend well beyond when your turn has come.

There was a time when HAL would send the wheelchair to my cabin to pick me up---after all, if I needed assistance to get off the ship, I also needed assistance to get to the assembly station. But they don't do that any longer. Sadly.

Last year on the Veendam, I had a 9:30 AM disembarkation time. At 9:00 AM, I received a call in my stateroom that I was the last passenger on the ship. When I entered the terminal luggage storage area, my two bags were indeed the last in sight.

I was at the Doubletree Hilton at 9:15 AM.

I must be missing something. I can understand wanting to remain on the ship to the last minute, but unless someone has a suite I would think that there are much more comfortable places to hang out besides your cabin.

Access to a non-public bathroom and a television.

We always hang out in the cabin with room service breakfast. The stewards are very good about asking if they can come in and get a start on preparations for the next guests. Of course, we always say yes, sometimes it is fun to chat with them while they work if they are so inclined. You'll see the beverage person check the fridge and the cleaning crew hosing down the veranda also. They save the vacuuming until we are gone.

I must be missing something. I can understand wanting to remain on the ship to the last minute, but unless someone has a suite I would think that there are much more comfortable places to hang out besides your cabin.

I agree. Besides, I face reality. Our cruise is over. They need to have complete access to the cabin, so we go.

Sandra

With all of the chair hogs gone, I guess you could grab a couple of lounge chairs by the pool. :halo:

Also, we have had last minute beverage checks the morning of departure, so just be aware you may get a knock at the door.

On one cruise, the people in the cabin next to ours actually threw the deadbolt when the bar staff came for last morning beverage checks. They had to get security to open the cabin door. It was a good thing to me that disembarkation had been halted because of a problem with customs/immigration in the terminal, because I would have been helping knock down the door if I had been delayed by a jerk who didn't want to pay for the Coke he drank! It's not like they don't bill your credit card for charges incurred after the final bill was printed anyway.

On one cruise, the people in the cabin next to ours actually threw the deadbolt when the bar staff came for last morning beverage checks. They had to get security to open the cabin door. It was a good thing to me that disembarkation had been halted because of a problem with customs/immigration in the terminal, because I would have been helping knock down the door if I had been delayed by a jerk who didn't want to pay for the Coke he drank! It's not like they don't bill your credit card for charges incurred after the final bill was printed anyway.

IMO, the final beverage check shouldn't be made while passengers still have access to their cabin. On one of our cruises, there were several charges on the first day for items from the mini bar. It appeared that the previous occupants had waited until the bar staff had made their check, then helped themselves to a number of drinks. We were able to have the charges cancelled, and since then, we always check the bar fridge as soon as we get in our cabin to make sure that nothing is missing.

Is it true that you can stay in your cabin on Hal until it is time to get off on last day? Thanks for info

Yes you can stay in your cabin, but we usually take our carry-off luggage with us to breakfast in the dining room and just enjoy a nice relaxed breakfast until it’s time to disembark.

20 cruises and counting!

Sort of - on the Koningsdam if you've got one of the later disembarkations, they'll ask everyone to leave their rooms via intercom at around 9:30. At that point you do have to go to a lounge for the rest of the time. In my experience it's better than other cruise lines but still not perfect.