Roll or Fold

Dosser1886

Hi,

looking for the recommendation from the vast expierience travellers on here..

is it best pack by rolling clothes or folding to eliminate the amount of creases when on board?

appreciate the response.

I am a "roll" fan, I roll everything into packing cubes, much less wrinkles than when I fold.

Agreed!! Once we started rolling, after years of folding, amazing how much more we can get in suitcases. And packing cubes are also a big help!

We also bring a bottle of wrinkle releaser just in case.

Big fan of wrinkle releaser! Was shocked at how well it works the first time I used it.

I'm rolling-challenged. I know how/why it works, I've seen multiple youtube videos, I guess I just suck at it b/c it never really worked for me. I accept the creases from folding and then use wrinkle releaser.

I have been a folder for years think that rolling HAD to create more wrinkles. I also didn't believe that rolling would take up less space. I was wrong on both accounts. Last year before we went to Alaska I got out all of the clothes I expected to take, folded them and then put them into a suitcase. I then took them out, rolled them and put them back in. The same clothes rolled took about 2/3 of what the folded clothes took. We did a week on land before our cruise. We packed one suitcase with clothes that we wouldn't need until we got on the ship. One week after rolling and packing the clothes, they were hardly wrinkled. Needless to say, I now roll my clothes to pack them.

Neither (sort of). Each of our larger garments is placed half-in/half-out of the suitcase, with the ends in different directions. When all are done, I start folding them over each other, until the stack is complete. No sharp folds.

I also leave the hangers on many of the garments when I pack them. When we get to the cabin, I can easily hang as is.

We've never had any wrinkles.

Neither (sort of). Each of our larger garments is placed half-in/half-out of the suitcase, with the ends in different directions. When all are done, I start folding them over each other, until the stack is complete. No sharp folds.

I also leave the hangers on many of the garments when I pack them. When we get to the cabin, I can easily hang as is.

^This^

Plus we also use a large roller garment bag. It easily fits our formal wear, our smart casual outfits, and shoes. Between the garment bag, a med/lg suitcase, and a pilot case as a carry-on we have enough room in the luggage for the 2 of us for up to an 11 day cruise.

Another vote for the packing flat method. I learned it at a Talbots’ class on packing about 20 years ago and have been using it ever since. I’ve tried rolling and then have to redo everything flat since the packing efficiently is so much less.

I find a hard case clamshell suitcase with both sides having zippered closures works best for this method.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same here. That and some Downey Wrinkle Release and we're good to go. I've tried the rolling and I hate it. Sorry.

Same for me. Cleaner Bags and 2 gallon zip lock bags. Open case on ship and put gallon bags in drawers and hang the things in the cleaner bags. I take 1 or 2 empty gallon bags and every day pack up the worn items and toss them in the suitcase. If my bags are opened by TSA, my clothes do not get moved around.

Individual plastic bags from the cleaners.

Hi Bob :)

My wife & I have been doing this for many years now, it's fantastic! We use a garment suitcase. I have all of my dress shirts pressed at the cleaners & then put into individual plastic bags. Also works well for my dress pants & my wife's dresses & gowns. But works best for dress shirts. Never had to use wrinkle release or steam in the shower. I would highly recommend individual bags from the cleaners. It works extremely well!

:)

I roll mostly except for suit jackets. I put those in my garment bag with a cleaner bag over them. I have used the 2-gallon zip bags for complete outfit per bag (with the air squished out) when we went to Punta Cana years ago.

I also like the Downy Wrinkle Release travel size bottle.

We fold, but at a minimum...meaning fold only in half if you can so that clothes lay flat. It’s amazing how many items you can get in a carry-on:) Since we only take 2 carryons to avoid luggage being lost, I have learned to pack very efficiently:)

I tried the rolling technique a couple cruises ago and found it worked great for me. DW just grimaced when I was packing but she was surprised when I unpacked how wrinkle free my things were. She still folds when she packs. We did take the Downey wrinkle free in a small squirt bottle and rarely used it. Better to have than not.

We roll items that either won’t wrinkle or we don’t care if they get wrinkled (like workout clothes) and put the rolls in packing cubes. For other items, we use the bundling method (layer lots of similar items together and no sharp folds) and then we place the bundle in a Ziplock Space Bag where we can push out all of the air and create a vacuum-packed bundle. We particularly like this packing method, as we end up with lots of modular packages that we can move between suitcases as needed.

Ex is a flight attendant and taught me years ago to roll. We traveled the world for a week at a time with only a rollaboard

I now use the "bundle method" and that works just as well. I can bring a weeks worth of clothes including a two-piece suit with this method

I use roll and fold both. I roll underwear, socks and anything else I don't care if it gets wrinkled. Shirts and pants I fold and put cleaner bags between layers of the folded clothes. The rolled clothes are then stuffed wherever they will fit.

No one has said whether they roll or fold their shoes. :-) I find them the hardest thing to pack.