Cruise lines' marketing slogans

Friend100

I was cleaning up some old cruise brochures and had noticed the changes in the marketing slogans that different cruise lines used.

For example, in the early 2010's, HAL used "A Signature of Excellence" underneath its name and logo. On the back cover page of the brochure, they further described themselves "consider the timeless sophistication of Holland America Line", or "experience the 5-star sophistication of Hollan America Line". It was still used in their 2016/17 brochure. But then starting from the 2017/18 brochure, it was changed to "SAVOR THE JOURNEY" (yes, all in capital letters). For Princess, it was "escape completely" a few years back, but today, they use "come back new".

Does anyone notice or care about what marketing message these cruise lines use? Do you like/dislike, or agree/disagree to any of them?

The only one I remember was the one "For people who don't do cruises".

That was for Ocean Village, a subsiduary of P&O, and lots of people began cruising after trying this laid-back line. Unfortunately, not enough for it to remain; still mourned by many.

I just booked our September cruise under Princess's "come back new" sale. But I don't care what they called it or use as their slogan. I just care about the perks that made booking the cruise now attractive--free gratuities and a great price on airfare to fly to London (less than $250 per person).

If you're active here on Cruise Critic, then it is very likely that the marketing and promotion of a cruise line is not intended for you - and I'm not just talking about slogans, but rather none of it is intended for you. Active Cruise Critic members tend to rely on alternative sources of information, whether it is the impression they get from forum posts, the reviews and observations of other posters who seem to be just like them, or whatever. From a marketing and promotion standpoint, such customers are effectively a "lost cause". Active membership in an online community is not like casual conversations with family and friends, which can augment marketing messages. The chances of having a marketing message that will overturn a potential customer's decision to rely on a community of critical reviews is pretty low. Occasionally, something might please you or resonate with you, but that's best assumed to be a coincidence rather than effective marketing.

To some extent that applies even if you aren't an active member of a community of critical reviews, but rather just a frequent cruise passenger: Many frequent cruise passengers develop touchstones and triggers - specific aspects of the cruise experience that they want to be a certain way, and so trying to sell them on a marketing-crafted image of what the cruise line is prepared to offer is practically impossible.

So that leaves the new or generally naive customer. That's who marketing messages are directed at most. One of the most insidious costs of doing business is the cost of customer acquisition; it's actually higher than the cost of customer retention (for a variety of reasons). That's what marketing messages are all about: Convincing that person who has never cruised before to cruise your cruise line, or convincing a casual cruiser without much sophistication about the detailed aspects of cruising to switch to your cruise line.

Edited by bUU

I agree that for most people who are active on this board, whatever a cruise line's marketing message is should have zero influence on our decision to choose or not choose a particular cruise.

I am though interested to know how a cruise line is marketing itself to prospective/new customers, how cruise lines come up with these slogans, and in particular to the case for HAL and Princess, why a change from the previous version to the new version? What's the rationale (if there is one :p) for Princess to change from "escape completely" to "come back new" :) How do they come up with these phrases? Are they trying to do something differently to change their image?

Although I do not own any shares, I would suppose anyone who have some interest in the success of a particular cruise line will be interested in how well/poor they are marketing themselves ... well, based on the many response here, I guess I am wrong, as I always am.

• 2 months later...

I liked when Royal used "Get Out There" as their slogan. I thought is was particularly appropriate for their target audience of more active and sporty passengers. I get that they want to promote their innovative features that make you say, "WOW!", but I think the former slogan was really appealing.

I also preferred Celebrity's old marketing campaign where people talked about how they'd vacationed like a celebrity. I think it was more appealing than "Modern Luxury Lives Here," their new slogan.

Carnival's "Fun Ships" moniker really works for them! I can't imagine them ever changing it.

Norwegian's "Freestyle Cruising" really took hold. I hear people use it constantly, mostly in connection with not wanting to dress up for dinner. They seem to have found a nitch and pounced on it.

I admit to working in marketing, so yes, I notice.

Have zero interest in paying attention to adverts and/or marketing slogan. Completely block them out, if on the telly and use an ad blocker on the computer.

I am more interested in how many pax, do they nickle & dime and most importantly what does the average past pax report.

Have zero interest in paying attention to adverts and/or marketing slogan. Completely block them out, if on the telly and use an ad blocker on the computer.

I am more interested in how many pax, do they nickle & dime and most importantly what does the average past pax report.

Savvy passengers don't pay attention to marketing because they are interested in the marketing. Savvy passengers pay attention to marketing because it informs them about the cruise lines' future directions.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

Most marketing slogans are meaningless. "It's not a car, it's a Volkswagen." Absolutely meaningless, and a lie to boot.

For an accurate slogan, Holland America should use, "Where seniors cruise with their parents."

I was cleaning up some old cruise brochures and had noticed the changes in the marketing slogans that different cruise lines used.

For example, in the early 2010's, HAL used "A Signature of Excellence" underneath its name and logo. On the back cover page of the brochure, they further described themselves "consider the timeless sophistication of Holland America Line", or "experience the 5-star sophistication of Hollan America Line". It was still used in their 2016/17 brochure. But then starting from the 2017/18 brochure, it was changed to "SAVOR THE JOURNEY" (yes, all in capital letters). For Princess, it was "escape completely" a few years back, but today, they use "come back new".

Does anyone notice or care about what marketing message these cruise lines use? Do you like/dislike, or agree/disagree to any of them?

Mrs Gut is adamant that Princess should be “Come Back Fat”.

For an accurate slogan, Holland America should use, "Where seniors cruise with their parents."
Alaska is probably different, but fwiw there aren't a disproportionate amount of senior seniors on our cruise.

By the same token, despite it being a school holiday, there are very few children and teens evident.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

Remember in the early 90's Celebrity's Tag line was, "let us exceed your expectations".
A tagline that made more sense before expectations got out of control.

Most marketing slogans are meaningless. "It's not a car, it's a Volkswagen." Absolutely meaningless, and a lie to boot.

For an accurate slogan, Holland America should use, "Where seniors cruise with their parents."[/quot

Where seniors cruise with their parents...and come back new! Now that might work!