How often do you get a new birth certificate?

Rainbowfalls

when each of our kids were born they asked how many BC's we wanted .....

I got 5 "originals" each time .......

DW and I had already gone thru the BS of getting 'correct' BCs for our passport applications. Kids are adults now .. each has 2 original BC in their possession, and I have 3 in reserve! And they have passports . . . .

Me too.

I got 5 or 6 BC's for the Kid. Since I was at City Hall I got a few extra copies of our marriage license.

There was a thread or two a while back about invalid birth certificates. If I recall there were some old New Jersey and Puerto Rico birth certificates that were not acceptable for cruising or obtaining passports.

I have replaced my children's because I couldn't find them. Then, of course, I did. Now I have two. I got a copy of mine years ago because the one I had was a "hospital copy" not a registered one. Of course the new one is just a photocopy of that one on special paper. I just got a new copy of my marriage license after 27 years because it was worn so bad you couldn't read it!

I have replaced my children's because I couldn't find them. Then, of course, I did. Now I have two. I got a copy of mine years ago because the one I had was a "hospital copy" not a registered one. Of course the new one is just a photocopy of that one on special paper. I just got a new copy of my marriage license after 27 years because it was worn so bad you couldn't read it!
Perhaps it a US requirement, but in 37 years of marriage, I have never been required to show our UK marriage certificate.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

I got a new certified copy of my birth certificate around 25 years ago. My mother probably has the first copy. I used it for a few cruises since my passport had expired. I ended up getting a new passport (and now another one) and haven't used a birth certificate for a cruise since 2001.

I know this may seem silly but the bcs i have are from 2012 and the raised seal on the one for my bf is a bit worn. Does anyone ever update their copy after a few years just in case??

[emoji312][emoji568][emoji572]next cruise: Carnival Liberty [emoji562] 12.9.18[emoji572][emoji568][emoji312]

Hmmm. My Birth Certificate is actually from the 1940s and is fine...other then being somewhat faded and discolored. No reason to update although its easy to do.

Hank

While we're on birth certificates, for those who have moved away from "mom". Next time you visit her, wrangle her copy or spend a morning at "city hall" and get a copy of your birth certificate. While you may be an experienced world traveler with lots of old passports, you never know when you'll need it.

While we're on birth certificates, for those who have moved away from "mom". Next time you visit her, wrangle her copy or spend a morning at "city hall" and get a copy of your birth certificate. While you may be an experienced world traveler with lots of old passports, you never know when you'll need it.
Why would you need to take a birth certificate with you anywhere?

Why would you need to take a birth certificate with you anywhere?

For US citizens that do closed-loop cruises passports aren't needed. Birth certificates are one of the approved documents they can use.

Some first timers come here and ask for advise when they find out they need their birth certificates for their upcoming closed-loop cruise two days from now, but it's with mom on the other side of the States.

SWMBO changed jobs this year, her new employer health plan wanted certified copies of our marriage license and Kid's birth certificate before he and I could be added on as dependents.

For US citizens that do closed-loop cruises passports aren't needed. Birth certificates are one of the approved documents they can use.

Some first timers come here and ask for advise when they find out they need their birth certificates for their upcoming closed-loop cruise two days from now, but it's with mom on the other side of the States.

SWMBO changed jobs this year, her new employer health plan wanted certified copies of our marriage license and Kid's birth certificate before he and I could be added on as dependents.

OK - it's a an American thing. Understood.

additional stuff

as US states begin issuing enhanced driver's lic' additional documentation is required

For many ladies a government approved document to justify a name change is required

DW needed a new DL this year and guess what? We had no copy of our marriage lic .. only something signed by the minister which is 'not enuf'

Fortunately I was able to request a 'legal document' aka marriage certificate online and we/she was good to go .... a few $ and a few days after a few minutes on the web!

additional stuff

as US states begin issuing enhanced driver's lic' additional documentation is required

For many ladies a government approved document to justify a name change is required

DW needed a new DL this year and guess what? We had no copy of our marriage lic .. only something signed by the minister which is 'not enuf'

Fortunately I was able to request a 'legal document' aka marriage certificate online and we/she was good to go .... a few $ and a few days after a few minutes on the web!

I've run into this a few times, especially when opening accounts at different banks. I need my first marriage certificate (that was 26 years ago!), my second marriage certificate, my divorce decree, and the court order changing my name back to my maiden name. I need to have the legal documents tracing my last name through my marriages, to my current (and last!) name.

Previously, I could simply show my old driver's licenses, but that isn't good enough anymore. I understand the reasoning, but it's a real PITA when I just want to open a checking account.

I had to bring five documents to apply for my enhanced driver license: my unexpired passport, my social security card, my current driver's license to prove my identity and to prove residency my voter registration card and my vehicle registration certificate.

I had to bring five documents to apply for my enhanced driver license: my unexpired passport, my social security card, my current driver's license to prove my identity and to prove residency my voter registration card and my vehicle registration certificate.

What state was that in?

I know this may seem silly but the bcs i have are from 2012 and the raised seal on the one for my bf is a bit worn. Does anyone ever update their copy after a few years just in case??

[emoji312][emoji568][emoji572]next cruise: Carnival Liberty [emoji562] 12.9.18[emoji572][emoji568][emoji312]

When we started cruising I used the birth cert issued in the mid-70's that I used to join the Navy. It was a short form birth certificate so I got a long form one in 2012 to use to get a passport card (got an EDL instead).

Only 5 states issue Enhanced Drivers Licenses. The remaining states issue REAL ID compliant licenses or soon will be. There is a big difference between the two. Here's a hint- if your license doesn't have a US flag on it then it isn't an EDL.

I never do and never will. Unbelievably, I don't have and can't get a birth certificate that passes muster. Somehow, all my birth records are totally missing. I managed to get a passport with notarized statements from my dad and my older brother and a census record from when I was a small child. Never going to let that passport expire!