Are gratuities automatically added to our account

It's been several years since we cruised with Carnival. How much are daily gratuities for an inside cabin? Are they automatically added to our onboard account? Will our OBC be automatically applied to the gratuities? Thanks.

You can adjust them up or down or have them removed if you wish.

In every gratuities thread, there is always someone who "floats" the idea of removing gratuities. :(

Why such a rush to shortchange all the behind the scenes employees who work to make sure cruise passengers don't have to cook their own food, wash their sheets, towels, etc, wash their plates and utensils, and on & on.

In every gratuities thread, there is always someone who "floats" the idea of removing gratuities. :(

Oh so true and then someone comes along to remind us how hard the crew work. Most also mention the crew come from third world nations with families to support. Next thing you know someone will comment that Carnival should include their true labor costs in the price of the cruise fare as they do in the Australian market and be done with the issue of gratuities.

Oh so true and then someone comes along to remind us how hard the crew work. Most also mention the crew come from third world nations with families to support. Next thing you know someone will comment that Carnival should include their true labor costs in the price of the cruise fare as they do in the Australian market and be done with the issue of gratuities.

You both forgot to add the Spoiler Alert to these.....

What some folks don't know or understand it that when they pull automatic gratuities and say they are going to tip in cash in person - those cash tips must be turned into the tip pool by the staff member under the threat of losing their job - UNLESS you've left the auto tips on in which case they may keep the extra cash.

Not going to argue whether this is "fair" or not - I'm just stating policy which many don't understand.:confused:

It's been several years since we cruised with Carnival. How much are daily gratuities for an inside cabin? Are they automatically added to our onboard account? Will our OBC be automatically applied to the gratuities? Thanks.

We always prepay with our booking.....it is just part of the cost of a wonderful vacation. Be sure to take extra cash just in case you feel someone has gone out of their way to make your vacation even better. I always get a pack of 50 1's from my bank before departure.

You can also prepay for the gratuities right in your booking manager online by adding them to your booking right under the port taxes and insurance area. You don't have to call anyone anymore. :)

The only reason to do it this way with prepaid is just so you have less of a bill on the ship and pay on your vacation as you lead up to leaving. I like to break up payments into monthly installments. have fun!

• 9 months later...

Agreed! It does get old. If you have bad service, you simply remove the tips. Nobody will tell me how I should spend my money. Tips are for good service and need to be earned, not expected! My last cruise I was told that if I didn't want to leave tips, I had to wait until the second to last day, until they were charged to my account, and then I could remove them. Cash is always better than a check. 😉

We always prepay with our booking.....it is just part of the cost of a wonderful vacation. Be sure to take extra cash just in case you feel someone has gone out of their way to make your vacation even better. I always get a pack of 50 1's from my bank before departure.

People harp on the cash tips, as 27 employees have to split that dollar. LOL

Do you pay the same amount for kids 6 yrs and 10yrs old?

Gratuities are per person. I believe Carnival excuses children under 2 as being optional.

However, if it were me, I'd pay for the number of people in my party regardless of age. If you knew just how little the crew actually makes.