Which Alaskan cruise should we pick? (NCL Jewel, Celebrity Eclipse, Carnival Legend)

mynameisspot

Hello!

I am wanting to take my mother on an Alaskan cruise for her 50th birthday. Her birthday is in December so we want to go in September 2019 as that is as close as we can get to her actual birthday. We are deciding between these 3 (listed from cheapest to most expensive):

1. 7 night Norwegian Jewel, September 30th-October 7th, Itinerary: Vancouver, Cruising, Juneau, Skagway, Cruising, Ketchikan, Cruising, Vancouver

2. 7 night Celebrity Eclipse, September 15th-22nd, Vancouver, Cruising, Icy Strait Point, Cruising, Juneau, Ketchikan, Cruising, Vancouver

3. 9 night Carnival Legend, September 17th-26th, Vancouver, Cruising, Icy Strait Point, Cruising, Sitka, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Cruising, Vancouver

Things that might be worth mentioning:

-My mother is a first-time cruiser. I went on a Mexican cruise last year on the Carnival Triumph and loved it (besides stopping in Progreso, ick!)

-My mother gets carsick and seasick (never been on a cruise ship but does on small boats)

-My mother is disabled and requires a wheelchair/scooter most of the time so the more activities on the ship and at the ports that she could do in her wheelchair, the better!

-We are both avid Diet Coke drinkers. Not a "make it or break it" point, but we noticed that Norweigan serves only Pepsi which made us like it a little less, lol

-We are trying to stay pretty budget conscious. So will most likely be getting an interior room.

-We probably won't be swimming so we're more interested in food options/quality, shows, etc.

-I know it's not likely, but if at all possible we would LOVE to see the Northern Lights!

-My mom loves cold weather and is excited to see glaciers and whatnot. I am obsessed with Beluga Whales (not sure if that's relevant but thought maybe one of the ports might have a beluga watching excursion or something!

We would be open to a different Alaskan cruise than the ones listed but determined that those 3 would most likely be best based on price and locations (we heard that departing from Vancouver was better for people who get seasick than departing from Seattle).

I would appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks!

Hello!

I am wanting to take my mother on an Alaskan cruise for her 50th birthday. Her birthday is in December so we want to go in September 2019 as that is as close as we can get to her actual birthday. We are deciding between these 3 (listed from cheapest to most expensive):

1. 7 night Norwegian Jewel, September 30th-October 7th, Itinerary: Vancouver, Cruising, Juneau, Skagway, Cruising, Ketchikan, Cruising, Vancouver

2. 7 night Celebrity Eclipse, September 15th-22nd, Vancouver, Cruising, Icy Strait Point, Cruising, Juneau, Ketchikan, Cruising, Vancouver

3. 9 night Carnival Legend, September 17th-26th, Vancouver, Cruising, Icy Strait Point, Cruising, Sitka, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Cruising, Vancouver

Things that might be worth mentioning:

-My mother is a first-time cruiser. I went on a Mexican cruise last year on the Carnival Triumph and loved it (besides stopping in Progreso, ick!)

-My mother gets carsick and seasick (never been on a cruise ship but does on small boats)

-My mother is disabled and requires a wheelchair/scooter most of the time so the more activities on the ship and at the ports that she could do in her wheelchair, the better!

-We are both avid Diet Coke drinkers. Not a "make it or break it" point, but we noticed that Norweigan serves only Pepsi which made us like it a little less, lol

-We are trying to stay pretty budget conscious. So will most likely be getting an interior room.

-We probably won't be swimming so we're more interested in food options/quality, shows, etc.

-I know it's not likely, but if at all possible we would LOVE to see the Northern Lights!

-My mom loves cold weather and is excited to see glaciers and whatnot. I am obsessed with Beluga Whales (not sure if that's relevant but thought maybe one of the ports might have a beluga watching excursion or something!

We would be open to a different Alaskan cruise than the ones listed but determined that those 3 would most likely be best based on price and locations (we heard that departing from Vancouver was better for people who get seasick than departing from Seattle).

I would appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks!

"Price" of what?

Remember that the cabin price is only one of the trip costs. Though you're not considering a wide variety of cruise line segments, know for the future that what may appear to be far "more expensive" premium lines may include all sorts of items that are extra cost on the lines you cited. For example: some cruise lines' cabin fares may include airfare/air credit, beverages, internet, specialty restaurants, gratuities, excursions and/or alcohol, etc. -all of which may be extras on the mass market ship.

My point here is to compare "bottom lines" for all required/anticipated expenses on a variety of ships rather than just cabin costs. Of course, there's also a "quality quotient." But that comparison is definitely a personal preference issue. What I can say (without hesitation) for sure is that cruising is one vacation arena where "you get what you pay for."

OP , you are omitting the 2 cruise lines with the most ships/itineraries and experience for Alaska Cruises , Princess and Holland America ?

IMO , the Northbound or Southbound 7 night cruises give you the better itineraries .

Don't be so hung up on potential seasickness as to effect your total cruise experience as much of the routes are Inside Passage and there are medications available if needed.

OP , you are omitting the 2 cruise lines with the most ships/itineraries and experience for Alaska Cruises , Princess and Holland America ?

IMO , the Northbound or Southbound 7 night cruises give you the better itineraries .

Don't be so hung up on potential seasickness as to effect your total cruise experience as much of the routes are Inside Passage and there are medications available if needed.

The OP's mother is handicapped and probably can't do most of what makes going into the interior a good trip. Also said money is an issue so having to get to/return from Anchorage is more expensive. I do suggest, however, that the OP look at Holland America and Princess. Be aware that going that late in the year means that the chance of bad weather is much higher, although weather on Alaska cruises is you pay your money, you take your chances.

I would back up and re-look at the various ships going to Alaska. You have picked three that do not go to Glacier Bay. To me, that is the number one sight in Alaska.

Princess and Holland are the main lines in Alaska. Each has 6 or 8 chips there each year. They have the top speakers onboard their ships.

I can certainly provide some of my experiences in Alaska/BC, having completed 2 complete seasons working Alaska then many years on the BC Coast.

Noted that September is closest to your mum's birthday and also has some cheaper cruises, which also helps with the budget. However, as a previous response mentioned, in the cruise industry you get what you pay for. In Alaska, the weather is always hit or miss, but in September, it tends to be more inclement. Others have mentioned storms, which are always possible, but you should also consider the propensity for low clouds and rain, which can obliterate the landscape. I have been up and down the coast many times and only seen nothing but the shoreline.

With respect to Vancouver or Seattle departures, I concur Vancouver is the better option, as a greater portion of the cruise is sheltered waters. Your three options are not visiting any of the Alaska high-lights, which in my opinion are Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier and Prince William Sound.

All 3-options are R/T from Vancouver and do not visit Glacier Bay. Personally, I would not consider any of those options, if I wanted to actually see Alaska.

Not sure about your budget, but I would check out HAL or Princess, who are the Alaska experts and select a N'bd or S'bd itinerary. Only 2 ships per day visit Glacier Bay and HAL & Princess have most of those permits.

Good luck finding a cruise.

Yes I would agree with the comments about Glacier Bay - a must if you can swing it. Alaska is beautiful.. no cruise will give you everything but will still show you great beauty. Also look at your port times, is there enough time to do the train in Juneau if that’s what you are interested for example. Good luck!

I would suggest not going in September. That is the end of the Alaska season, and your cruise might be impacted. I know you wanted to go close to December, but consider giving your mom an early birthday present and go during the summer. I would also look at Princess and or HAL.

Yes I would agree with the comments about Glacier Bay - a must if you can swing it. Alaska is beautiful.. no cruise will give you everything but will still show you great beauty. Also look at your port times, is there enough time to do the train in Juneau if that’s what you are interested for example. Good luck!

The good train is at Skagway.

I would back up and re-look at the various ships going to Alaska. You have picked three that do not go to Glacier Bay. To me, that is the number one sight in Alaska.

Princess and Holland are the main lines in Alaska. Each has 6 or 8 chips there each year. They have the top speakers onboard their ships.

I agree with Paul. I went on Princess out of San Francisco. It was a wonderful trip to glacier bay. I chose that cruise because I was with folks who did not like to fly. I would also look at the perks the cruise line is offering. We rented a jr suite. I went in June when my grandson got out of school. In Vancouver some of us rented a sea plane ride. The orcas were out in numbers. It was a very fun vaca and yes, they had a wonderful natural scientist narrating at Glacier Bay. We sat there for hours doing slow 360's.

Be sure to eat at Tracy's crab shack in Juneau I think it was.

We are deciding between these 3 (listed from cheapest to most expensive):

Are you comparing per-day prices or per-trip prices? Just mentioning that Carnival is generally cheapest and since it gives you an extra 2 days that might be worth considering.

I've found cruising in the Pacific to be super stable. I've even been able to balance a penny on it's side...

[YOUTUBE]c82ToiVTvOY[/YOUTUBE]

I'm all for saving money but the public viewing areas will get super crowded so I'd like to recommend an Ocean View cabin. Here's a little bit of what I saw from my Ocean View on the Carnival Legend...

[YOUTUBE]B2hfJNxfF-8[/YOUTUBE]

I really don't care for any of your itineraries. When I think of cruising to Alaska I want to see glaciers. That is why I just got back from a R/T out of Vancouver that included Glacier Bay.

I would stick with the inside cabin to save money. Go for something that is mid ship and a lower deck.

I liked the Volendam on HAL. Really easy to get around and didn't seem crowded at all. Plenty of open spaces by the windows.

We had such a good time that I am planning another cruise in 2020. This time I want to see Hubbard Glacier, so we are going on a one way. Wish HAL did Hubbard, but they don't.

Good luck.

I just returned from my 3rd cruise in Alaska, all with Princess, who has an excellent reputation for their AK itineraries. I traveled with family, all of whom had never been to AK before, and one member who had never even set foot on a cruise ship before. They were all very pleased with the Princess experience. (Two of them had cruised before with Carnival and said they'll never go back to Carnival.)

One of our narrators was Libby Riddles, the first female to have ever won the Iditarod. See has served as a narrator on Princess AK cruises for a number of years, and is very interesting. There was a 2nd female narrator, whose name escapes me at the moment, who had very broad knowledge of AK in general, and shared tons on information about AK in very well attended talks in the theater, as well as spending time on the bridge and alerting passengers to sighting of whales, etc.

• 1 month later...

OP, as usual, your questions have multiple, often, conflicting, responses.

I will suggest that you meet with a travel agent and get an informed opinion from a single source.  Not to make it harder, I am further suggesting that you go to a brick and mortar establishment so that the agent can spend some time with you, listen to your questions and observe your reactions.  An travel agent should also be able to give good advice regarding your mother's needs.

There is no "bad" Alaska cruise.  All the ones you have highlighted would be fine choices.  I even think that cruising to Alaska in September is fine.  Towards the end of the season, many of the shops in the ports will have sales.  So, you may be able to save a bit on souvenirs.  I will report that the fudge shop in Skagway may not have any more mint fudge.  I found that out, last year.  So, I went for peanut butter.

I will respond to a couple things on your "wish list."

• Northern Lights--It is highly unlikely that you will see them.  There is no "season," and there is no "schedule."  I have read one post in the past three years here on cruise critic where a cruiser reported being awakened at 1:00 or 2:00 am by an announcement from the bridge that Northern Lights were visible from the open decks of the ship.

• Beluga Whales--Again, I'm sorry, but it is highly unlikely that you will see them on the routes you indicated.  I once saw Beluga Whales off Turnagin Arm, near Anchorage.  I was on a business trip and the local rep who was driving gave me a "heads up."  I'm pretty sure it was in a July or August.  The most common whales in the areas you are considering are Killer Whales (Orcas) and Humpbacks.  Both are awesome.

Don't worry about "missing" anything.  Alaska is full of amazing natural beauty.  You will have a great time.

You mentioned hoping to see beluga whales -- not likely.  In 4 Alaska cruises, I've never seen such excursions offered. (Belugas are generally further north.)  However, Humpbacks (& sometimes orcas) are usually seen in SE Alaska in the summer.  The best excursions are usually from Juneau.

Xbox & I were writing at the same time.  I second his idea about working with a liv, face-to-face travel agent who can address all your questions. Be sure to get one who is experienced w/cruises & Alaska!

Enjoy!

Edited by DRS/NC
info