Frugal and frustrated

We booked in August for Christmas.

That isn't considered early at all. To get the best prices, either book more than a year out, or gamble, and hope for a fire sale. We usually book a year out, and our price has always been cheaper than last minutes prices.

If this is their policy, then I recommend holding off until the last minute to book a holiday cruise as this year they've panic about 35-28 days out.

Most price drops are between final payment and 30 days out. It is rare for holiday prices to drop significantly so booking those early (not August , but like 18+ months out early) makes sense.

Biker, who is not likely to book any cruise within 2-3 months outside of final - at that point you might as well wait till inside final.

Most price drops are between final payment and 30 days out. It is rare for holiday prices to drop significantly so booking those early (not August , but like 18+ months out early) makes sense.

Biker, who is not likely to book any cruise within 2-3 months outside of final - at that point you might as well wait till inside final.

Not as rare as many think. We've gotten some great deals both before and after final payment. The cruises over Christmas are more likely to be discounted as opposed to the New Years cruises and the smaller ships and shorter itineraries are more likely to have done better deals.

Certainly still a lot more expensive than early December but we have been able to get prices at the equivilant to summer prices or a bit better.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I have always booked at least a year in advance. Usually start out in a balcony. By watching (stalking...lol) website I have been able to upgrade on three cruises after final payment. Once to a grand suite, once to an Owner's Suite. On our current sailing leaving in three weeks on Adventure, I had upgraded to a owner's suite earlier, a royal family suite came up on the website and I called them and was able to move for no additional money.

I agree that it is much easier to do this on smaller ships and non peak sailings. I will keep checking until just before we sail. As others have said, pick the cabin you want in the location you want early and be happy. IF you can do something different, consider it a bonus. Don't let it ruin your cruise!

Thats the bad thing following pricing after final. Many times closer in they have many cabins thats most would not select. getting your choice of dining often is not available. On larger ships many of the entertainment favorite preselect are gone.If you do Royal excursions some popular one have filled up. Most pricing goes up on many ships not down. You will probably find after doing a few sailing especially on ships the pricing talk is unreal. If you got a super unreal deal ,upgrade ext. there will always be the one that paid much less than you, had the cheapest cabin, got moved to the grand suite, got invite to the captains table, etc.

If you were comfortable with what you paid, got the cabin you wanted, don't let this ruin your cruise. Next time maybe it will go the other way and you will paid less. Enjoy your cruise as you only go around once. Bob, The Villages Florida

Not as rare as many think.

The drop has indeed been steep (over the past month) for the Allure sailing over the holidays - I was surprised at the cliff-like drop until I looked at the starting level in say July - those were crazy prices to start. If one looked at the vacancies, there's no way those prices were sustainable and no informed person would have booked at those rates.

Are you a new travel agent? Doesn't this always happen?

Don't let it ruin your trip. Just go and enjoy the experience. If you hadn't checked, the experience would still be the same. So don't let something beyond your control taint it.

And, someone may have paid MORE than you.

I wondered about the TA comment as well, however it doesn't change the outcome to where they are today. Someone will have paid more and others will have paid less, that is always the way. We always book well in advance by at least a year and if we book a few months prior to final payment we book the rate we are happy with.

OP, I hope it works out that you and your family have a great time over the holidays.

The drop has indeed been steep (over the past month) for the Allure sailing over the holidays - I was surprised at the cliff-like drop until I looked at the starting level in say July - those were crazy prices to start. If one looked at the vacancies, there's no way those prices were sustainable and no informed person would have booked at those rates.

They must be getting a number of people booking at these insane rates as they seem to keep them posted for quite a while. It seems to be in that sweet spot for bookings 4-12 months out. Lots of bookings by first time cruisers that think that is early. Not just on the holiday cruises either, our March break crude was ridiculous for a long while.

Newbie question..........how are you getting historical prices/vacancies for comparisons?

What bothers me most is that this goes on after RCI told the world that it would not.

RCI said they would not have drastic price drops within 30 days of sailing and that has been true most of the time. They never said there would not be price drops between final and 30 days out.;)

I have two cruises booked. One on TG and the other in March. The TG dropped in price. Yay, but after final payment, so no refund. However, I did upgrade my room and the price was within $22.00 which they did not refund. I'm OK with it, because I know the rules.

My second cruise went up nearly $350.00 for the same room.

Right now my average price fluctuation would keep me at exactly the same prices if I got a refund for the one, and paid for the higher price on the other. I don't expect RCCL to make me pay more money, and therefore I don't expect a refund on the other.

It's the travel industry, love it or hate it, it isn't going to change.

By the way, my airline ticket for on is now about $200.00 more if I waited to book it.

Think of it this way, you paid a higher price to ensure you would have a spot on the ship. There's always a chance a sailing will sell out, it just happens yours didn't and it sounds like the room category just happens to be one where there are more available rooms than other categories; supply and demand.

If you waited til the last minute to book, you'd also have to buy airfare last minute, and that price increase could negate any savings you'd have gotten from the cheaper cruise.

Being aware of BOTH the MACRO and MICRO characteristics of supply and demand in how they relate to cruise ship bookings can save you THOUSANDS of dollars. Gathering that info bit by bit over several years can cost a lot in lost opportunities, but learning the information here on CC allowed me to cruise MUCH MORE OFTEN than I would have been able to.

If your first concern is A particular cabin, in A particular location, you MUST book early to make sure you get it... just know that you are going to pay a premium for it. ;)

I don't give a rip about what cabin I'm in... because I am only there to sleep and shower, so quite often book after final payment to take advantage of the incredibly low prices. I won't book unless the cruise is UNDER $50pp/night, and I have cruised for weeks on Celebrity for $30pp/night. :D

Knowing that the cruise industry is producing 4-6 new ships EVERY YEAR, that add THOUSANDS of new beds for EVERY WEEK is putting incredible downward pressure on the price of cruise ship fares. The industry's response is to "double down" and INCREASE fares early on, hoping that uninformed people will simply pay whatever price is listed, and thousands of people DO. Other people use that information to their advantage... I will be on Jewel OTS in a couple of weeks... 12 nights for $487pp with $200 OBC.

If you have stringent timing requirements due to work, you may HAVE to book well in advance... making it impossible to take advantage of last minute deals. :(

Using internet sites that show remaining cabin inventory by category can tell you with extremely high accuracy, whether the current price for that category will increase, stay the same, or decrease.

Using AIR2SEA for your flights CAN save a LOT MORE money on airfare, even at the last minute, especially on international flights. (not so much on domestic flights) :cool:

Maybe I should mention that I'm a retired airline employee using Interline pricing; however, I found out that they have a take it or leave policy. No changes what so ever after Final Payment so you're stuck. Now I'm sure I won't get much empathy as the price is discounted because it's the principle that some groups get OBC & Upgrades after Final Payment when others don't. I agree, it just leaves a nasty taste in your mouth.

I keep hearing from everyone about their additional OBCs or upgrades and I'm told that I have an 'L' on my forehead. Really, the love for spending money onboard or additional cruises is not flowing in my direction (it's something else). If others cope with this situation by sticking their head in the sand, then more power to you.

If this is their policy, then I recommend holding off until the last minute to book a holiday cruise as this year they've panic about 35-28 days out. A lot of us are paying the inequitable price for this mistake.

Your being able to take advantage of interline rates... especially some of the ones that *I* have seen... negates any empathy I might have had for your situation! :p

If you are unaware, try a search for "last minute cruise deals" or "90 day ticker" for interline rates that make me a blindingly bright NEON GREEN with envy. ;)

Edited by teecee60

FirstSailor, I feel your pain. Our cabins have dropped over $560 this last week for a Thanksgiving Cruise. We booked in September ourselves after final payment. I looked into a OBC as I've heard others have had luck with. No such deal, but we could upgrade for and additional $500 for two cabins. Not interested. The next day I call again as the prices dropped an additional $150 per cabin and was told that I couldn't even upgrade except at the full internet price of an additional $1500 per cabin (virtual balcony to a neighborhood balcony) with a straight face. WHAT! Maybe I should mention that I'm a retired airline employee using Interline pricing; however, I found out that they have a take it or leave policy. No changes what so ever after Final Payment so you're stuck. Now I'm sure I won't get much empathy as the price is discounted because it's the principle that some groups get OBC & Upgrades after Final Payment when others don't. I agree, it just leaves a nasty taste in your mouth.

I keep hearing from everyone about their additional OBCs or upgrades and I'm told that I have an 'L' on my forehead. Really, the love for spending money onboard or additional cruises is not flowing in my direction (it's something else). If others cope with this situation by sticking their head in the sand, then more power to you.

If this is their policy, then I recommend holding off until the last minute to book a holiday cruise as this year they've panic about 35-28 days out. I guess the pricing model for this cruise was a little off. A lot of us are paying the inequitable price for this mistake.

This may be the cruise where we try and spend less than $100 for a family of 4 (gratuities excluded). I guess this is my way of making Lemonade out of Lemons. Let the adventure and flamers begin #thanksshanghai.

Not going to flame you or anyone else but as a former airline person you do know if you buy a seat today at x$ and the price goes down next week, unless cancellable you are SOL. Same goes for Hotels. Royals cancellation and price lowering are well known. Don't let it ruin a nice cruise, instead learn not to look at prices after final payment. Waiting to last minute doesn't always garner favorable results for cruises, ailines, or hotels.

so it seems that you should never pay your last payment till the last possible moment according to this. seems after they have all your money your basically screwed.

It has nothing to do with when you make the payment, but rather the date that payment is due in full.

Thanks. Found it within 1 google search.

I get a little OCD when researching stuff. This is like finding a goldmine for me!! :D

Just know that the site does have some weakness, one of which is that the pricing is not complete (categories missing) and only updates 2-3 times per day (thereby missing some short price drops). But the ability to look at historical pricing is very useful.

DH still checks for price reductions on RCI site and I use one of the on-line sites ( I know I cannot mention here).

We both found out at about the same time that our next summers cruise for an L1 came down by about $1000 we had TA call and we got a price reduction .

I know it is well before final payment, but just thought I would share.

Also on this summers cruise (August Allure) we had a credit $$ placed from RCI for $150 after final payment....to this day we do not know why or what we did, and we got it before we sailed.

We actually did nothing, just took the credit.

That was a first.

Safe travels.

Since final payment the cost of our room has dropped over $1000! Anyone have any luck or tips to recoup any of the money?? I feel like we are being penalized for booking early....

Once you make your final payment. That's it. Final. No, cash refunds; however, you might snag a cabin upgrade. Just ask. All cruise line frequently discount after final payment to sell off any remaining empty cabin; not give refunds to currently booked passenger. That doesn't make any business sense. You could have waited and booked after final payment, but you didn't. However, if you waited 1) the ship might have been sold out 2) last minute airfares could be sky high which negates any savings or non-preferred air schedule 3) you wouldn't have gotten the cabin the wanted 4) you might not have gotten your dinning preference. So, there is no penalty in booking early. When you book early you are paying a premium to get want you want; not what's left over. I know it frustrating, but that's just the way the travel industry works.

I'm cruise dropped $500 since I booked it and I just moved on. The money is gone. Don't let it ruin your trip. I've had several cruises where the price went up after I booked and never went down again. Sometimes it pays to book early and sometimes it doesn't. It's just how it is.

Make final payment on X, but I though i would check prices and what a drop. Anyway I lost my deposit but still saved 1500$ Longer story to this. however it never hurts to try and get all that you can at the prices they are charging.

Just be nice and not combative, you still might have to suck it up realizing that you got stiffed a little by not checking prices weekly for final.

The exact same thing happened with our Thanksgiving Harmony cruise. We decided to upgrade to GS from CP balcony. Within in 24 hours of upgrading and paying the price difference the GS prices dropped by $600. We called and explained that it had been less than 24 hours since we booked and they refused to honor the new/lower price. They would also not give an OBC to help offset the difference.

We were already past the 57 day mark so canceling is not an option. And upgrading to the next category is still more than $600.

While we know it's policy, it just sat wrong with us because it has been less than a day. With this upcoming cruise we will be 3 points shy away from Diamond. And honestly, because of this recent issue we may be back to sail RCCL.

Now, don't get me wrong, it won't spoil our vacation and we are really looking forward to being on board the Harmony and our first time in a suite.... just a rough way to get things started.

FirstSailor, I feel your pain. Our cabins have dropped over $560 this last week for a Thanksgiving Cruise. We booked in September ourselves after final payment. I looked into a OBC as I've heard others have had luck with. No such deal, but we could upgrade for and additional $500 for two cabins. Not interested. The next day I call again as the prices dropped an additional $150 per cabin and was told that I couldn't even upgrade except at the full internet price of an additional $1500 per cabin (virtual balcony to a neighborhood balcony) with a straight face. WHAT! Maybe I should mention that I'm a retired airline employee using Interline pricing; however, I found out that they have a take it or leave policy. No changes what so ever after Final Payment so you're stuck. Now I'm sure I won't get much empathy as the price is discounted because it's the principle that some groups get OBC & Upgrades after Final Payment when others don't. I agree, it just leaves a nasty taste in your mouth.

If this is their policy, then I recommend holding off until the last minute to book a holiday cruise as this year they've panic about 35-28 days out. I guess the pricing model for this cruise was a little off. A lot of us are paying the inequitable price for this mistake.

This may be the cruise where we try and spend less than $100 for a family of 4 (gratuities excluded). I guess this is my way of making Lemonade out of Lemons. Let the adventure and flamers begin #thanksshanghai.

I am an airline employee too. Interline rates are already "deeply discounted." They come with certain restrictions. I always price Interline, vs. Military, vs Senior, vs Resident. I can't use my Diamond Plus discount with Interline, but can for other rates. So I use the most advantageous. But my real comment to you is that you say "This may be the cruise where we try and spend less than $100 for a family of 4 (gratuities excluded)." Was this your plan when you originally booked the cruise? Because it seems you are just ticked because the rates came down and you couldn't take advantage of them. What if the rates had gone up? Would you have said "gee, now that the rates are higher and we don't have to pay them, this might be the cruise where we'll spend over $1000 for a family of 4?" I don't get your logic. You are going to skimp on a cruise ONLY because the rate was lowered and you couldn't get it. Seems pretty silly to me.

As for the OP being a "travel agent," if you advise your customers to wait until the last minute to book, you'll have a lot of unhappy customers. I have, many more times, had rates go UP not down. So I know I'd be one unhappy customer if you convinced me to wait until 2 months out and the rates went UP and the cabin choices disappeared. You won't last long with that philosophy. I also have to wonder, as a Travel Agent, how did you NOT know about this policy? It isn't new, and it's fairly standard across the industry. I know I won't be changing travel agents soon.