I need to read a good book!

Ukigirl

On Freedom November 10th, cannot wait to get away from kids (don't judge, they are adults), work, emails, dog (don't judge), work. I am so looking forward to plopping my butt by the pool every day with a good book and a cocktail, looking for suggestions. Love espionage, read all Crichton, Baldacci, Follett, Le Carrie. I do like trashy romance novels too, please don't tell anyone as this is my dirt little secret. Hope to take either paperbacks or download to Kindle. Always walk by ship library but never stopped in, should I?

What's the best book you have read this year and why? Fiction or nonfiction

Larysa

Book #1 - The Day the World Came to Town

I recommended this book to my transatlantic sailing book club. It's non-fiction and there is a broadway play based on the book.

Book #2 - Murder in Little Egypt

Non-fiction

I highly recommend both. I'm a non-fiction person and enjoy history, culture and world events.

By the way..your secret is safe with us.

Oooh, download the Penny Vincenzi three book series “The Spoils of Time” - “No Angel,” “Something Dangerous” and Into Temptation.” They’re set during the early 20th century so there is a bit of historical context as well as drama and a bit of wee, trashy novel stuff! [emoji23]

Character development and plot lines are excellent though. I adored all three.

As far as the ships’ libraries...they’re pretty tiny now. I was very sad to see the Liberty’s once rather large and comfy library reduced to a couple sets of shelves and the majority of the room turned into an Internet cafe.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't read much espionage any more, but when I did, Ludlum and Follett were my favourites. These days my mysteries are more police force based, not international intrigue. If you are willing to consider police mysteries instead of espionage, I recommend:

Adrian McKinty (most are noir-ish novels set in Northern Ireland, like the Sean Duffy series)

Tana French, also Irish police stories, but this time all taking place in the Murder squad of the Dublin force.

Craig Johnson's Longmire series

These are lightweight, humourous mysteries:

Rhys Bowen's "Royal Spyness" series, and Chris Grabenstein's John Ceepak series that takes place in a small New Jersey holiday town.

On Freedom November 10th, cannot wait to get away from kids (don't judge, they are adults), work, emails, dog (don't judge), work. I am so looking forward to plopping my butt by the pool every day with a good book and a cocktail, looking for suggestions. Love espionage, read all Crichton, Baldacci, Follett, Le Carrie. I do like trashy romance novels too, please don't tell anyone as this is my dirt little secret. Hope to take either paperbacks or download to Kindle. Always walk by ship library but never stopped in, should I?

Larysa

The Martian was EXCELLENT!! read it several times this year. Super funny and smart.

I also loved the Expanse series by James SA Corey. There are six so far, starting with Leviathan Wakes. Excellent characters and a great mystery.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Nora Roberts / JD Robb is always a good read (I like to have a least one saved for vacation, fortunately she's prolific so I don't have to save them for very long, cause there is always a new one.) The JD Robb are Police in the future suspense. And if you like funny (although humor is subjective) Gini Koch's Alien books are a hoot. (The Aliens among us always wear Armani.)

Larysa

Any book by Gloria Mallette (all fiction)

Larysa

There is a good library on board deck 7 midships with lots of books to read.

My wife left a romance book that she brought and read on ship and other people were leaving books too so you might get a good read lol.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Daniel Silva is good for easy reading espionage novels.

Also love Elizabeth George for British inspector Lynley novels. You may also want to try Henning Mankell Wallender books about a Swedish detective. The last two series have been on PBS masterpiece theatre.

I also enjoy reading books set where I am going such as Donna Leon's novels set in Venice.

Love a mind vacation😀

Nora Roberts / JD Robb is always a good read (I like to have a least one saved for vacation, fortunately she's prolific so I don't have to save them for very long, cause there is always a new one.) The JD Robb are Police in the future suspense. And if you like funny (although humor is subjective) Gini Koch's Alien books are a hoot. (The Aliens among us always wear Armani.)

I second JD Robb. If you have never read this series start with #1. I picked them up later in the series and had to go back and purchase all of the prior issues for my tablet. That set off a real marathon of reading. I also read the same author's work as the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My favorite fiction read so far this year is David Williams' When the English Fall. It is a beautifully-written allegorical story about how an Amish community responds to a natural disaster that disrupts the larger society's mechanisms. Both chilling and hopeful, it is a joy to read and so relevant for our times. Very highly recommended.

I always take my own books. For me, most ship libraries are slim pickings. I leave my books for others on the passenger swap shelves. I also check for Little Free Libraries in ports. littlefreelibrary.org

Edited by Bookish Angel