Survey Says: Begging for "10's" in MDR

wesp

My last two cruises on Grandeur and Radiance have included begging for 10's on the survey as part of the sentimental last night waiter concert. The pitch went on and on. Is this true across the fleet? Our waiter and assistant were good, but not a 10. Since when is average not acceptable as an evaluation response?

Wesley

I worked for a major national retailer for 25 years and anything less than perfect was worthless. Only surveys that had all 5 star ratings counted for you, everything else counted against. This is why I think surveys are pointless. Companies don't want to really know how you feel

Every cruise we are cornered by our waiter and get the speech on how important it is that we give them a good score. It’s really putting me off eating there in future.

If they’re having to pull on your heart strings to get a perfect score, what’s the point of the survey, it’s not a real reflection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Management across the board in all businesses require a 9 or 10 in surveys. These college kids in management positions haven't got a clue what real life is like.

My manager was required to visit a customer site if any one question on a satisfaction survey was 8 or below.

My personal philosophy? Nobody gets a 10. There is always room for improvement. A 9 is near perfect. A 10 from me means there was a happy ending involved.

Yes, my recent MDR staff informed me how important it was that I give 10's. I gave 9's.

I cannot even remember the last time the staff asked us to give them a "10". just has not happened in forever. I always do the survey. We are not "picky" people. I feel the staff does an awesome job taking care of me. They work hard and deserve everything I can help them get. That is just my opinion, but I am not cooking, cleaning, serving my own drinks, making my bed, etc. I am a very happy person!! And the staff is always super wonderful to us. Always say hi, always a smile, etc.

Our waiter and assistant were good, but not a 10. Since when is average not acceptable as an evaluation response?

This has become the norm now. The current company I work for and my last company completely rely on client reviews. They have also decided that perfect is the only score acceptable. A nine out of ten will get you a sit down visit with a manager to discuss your nine and why it happened. This only makes employees have to explain to the clients that a ten is the only acceptable score and allows upper management to pretend that they are doing everything absolutely right and have no room for improvement. Ten should be an every once in a while event, but if you insist ten is the only score allowable, eventually it becomes all you get completely invalidating the process. Before I worked for a company doing this, I never would have given a ten. Eight would have meant you were doing awesome.

If you think you really had bad service though, drop a seven. They go into crisis mode for a seven and people get fired.

I havent been asked on a cruise in a long time but every time I take my Honda in for service, they BEG for a perfect score and tell me how anything less is failing to Honda and if there is any reason why I CANT give them a perfect score to please let them know before filling it out. This seems to be the new norm of most any business that have surveys. It also happens when I have to call technical support at Frontier over internet issues.

My last two cruises on Grandeur and Radiance have included begging for 10's on the survey as part of the sentimental last night waiter concert. The pitch went on and on. Is this true across the fleet? Our waiter and assistant were good, but not a 10. Since when is average not acceptable as an evaluation response?

Wesley

Rate your cruise/staff honestly based on your experiences. If average is what you think an experience deserves, so be it.

I was on the Jewel of the Seas this past April and I did not have one person ask or tell me about the survey.

Lucky you. I hope this happens to me on our next cruise. We are given the speech nightly. It could be because we have mytime dining and they aren't sure if they will see us again. So, so annoying and it doesn't make me them them a 10. I think Royal wants all 10's so they can advertise that they have the best customer satisfaction. What a joke. :rolleyes:

My recent survey asked me specifically if anyone had solicited a good review, and if I had answered yes it wanted to know their position.

I attended a conference once and during a talk about surveys I learned that on a 5-point scale only a 5/5 is associated with brand loyalty and recommending that brand to others. Those who put a 4/5, even though it sounds good to most of us, are actually just as likely to choose a competitor for their next vacation.

This is why managers only want top scores, BUT, it's not clear that top scores that are given out of sympathy or are otherwise solicited mean anything. The studies that got these data only looked at spontaneous scores. But for true scores, anything less than perfect is a fail.

On our last cruise I was not asked for a good review once and I appreciated that. I don't like the pressure and guilt I have had on previous cruises. The survey doesn't mean anything if you are pressured into a perfect score. I feel bad for the wait staff that this is what is expected of them. I will say that on this last cruise I was happy to give a 10 to the waiter and I felt better about it since I wasn't asked for it.

I havent been asked on a cruise in a long time but every time I take my Honda in for service, they BEG for a perfect score and tell me how anything less is failing to Honda and if there is any reason why I CANT give them a perfect score to please let them know before filling it out. This seems to be the new norm of most any business that have surveys. It also happens when I have to call technical support at Frontier over internet issues.
I get the same at my Renault dealer.

Even the cashier's in many shops write their name on our receipt asking for a great review.

Rate your cruise/staff honestly based on your experiences. If average is what you think an experience deserves, so be it.
I agree.

I have always given 10s to help the crew but really it is rare anyone was perfect and 9 would be the true score.

I'm so sick of surveys...even doctor's offices and hospitals send you lengthy surveys....go shopping online, and up pops a survey...."How did we do?"

I just ignore them.

My bank is the worst!...at least once a month they are calling to see how they're doing. Guess what? If I was unhappy, my money and I would go elsewhere! I tell them the service is great, but your survey annoys the hell out of me.

Lucky you. I hope this happens to me on our next cruise. We are given the speech nightly. It could be because we have mytime dining and they aren't sure if they will see us again. So, so annoying and it doesn't make me them them a 10. I think Royal wants all 10's so they can advertise that they have the best customer satisfaction. What a joke. :rolleyes:
I agree it really is all about spin for corporate to boast about and not it is not fair crew are put in this position of pleading for top marks.

I agree it really is all about spin for corporate to boast about and not it is not fair crew are put in this position of pleading for top marks.

We always give perfect 10’s, never complain and usually give a glowing written out review to the crew member we liked the least. It’s our little way of sticking it to the man!

Have a nice cruise!

On my last Oasis Cruise 8/2018, on the last night our MDR waiter tell us about the survey and he kept on asking and pressuring us on a scale of 1 through 10 which one will we rate them and suggesting us to rate the highest, he insist on what is rating number I will rate. When I say I will give him very good rating he would not accept that for an answer, he want to know the actual number, I also overheard he went to other tables giving the same speech.

Edited by StrikeEagle