Tie or No Tie

Dancing Shoes

Help. We are sailing to Alaska soon. Hubby is not taking a sport coat. For Gala nights he will be wearing dress shoes, Khakis, and a long sleeve white button up shirt.

I am so out of touch of what is in style. We never need to dress up here.

Thanks......

It would help to know what cruiseline you are traveling on. Some are much more formal than others. You might get a better response if you posted on the board of the cruiseline.

Cruising is more casual than 10 years ago. You will see a variety of dress. Personally would probably have him pack/wear a tie.

If you are cruising on RCI or Celebrity he will be fine. Haven't brought at tie or jacked on either for several years.

But as mentioned, it would be helpful to know which cruise line you are on and also agree that posting this on that cruise line's board might bring better answers.

Help. We are sailing to Alaska soon. Hubby is not taking a sport coat. For Gala nights he will be wearing dress shoes, Khakis, and a long sleeve white button up shirt.

Thanks......

Tie and no jacket ends at 12 years old.

I think you mean button down shirt.

With khakis, lose the dress shoes and substitute Sebago Docksiders or Sperry Billfisher dock shoes.

Since you did not specify the cruise line, it is hard for us to help you. on some lines he will be fine. On others, he will be sent to the buffet

On which other lines on an Alaskan cruise do your risk being denied entrance to the MDR and "sent to the buffet" if you don't wear a jacket and tie on fancy pants night?

I haven't taken a tie on a cruise in 15 years, and that includes trips on Silversea, Regent, and Sea Dream, plus a number of mass market lines. No need at all for a tie, though I would get a different color shirt.

Cunard's Queen Elizabeth does Alaska cruises

Are there any first hand reports of someone being "sent to the buffet" for not wearing a jacket and tie on their Alaska cruises?

Cunard may be the exception but for the rest of them the published "dress code" and what actually happens on board are very different. I can confirm first hand that on an Alaskan itinerary Princess isn't sending anyone to the buffet for not strictly adhering to the dress code published on their website. Cargo pants, hiking boots and a collared sports shirt were just fine on "formal night."

It is encouraging to see the cruise companies abandoning the tired and archaic "traditions" of a travel era that ended decades ago.

Edited by K32682

Are there any first hand reports of someone being "sent to the buffet" for not wearing a jacket and tie on their Alaska cruises?

Cunard may be the exception but for the rest of them the published "dress code" and what actually happens on board are very different. I can confirm first hand that on an Alaskan itinerary Princess isn't sending anyone to the buffet for not strictly adhering to the dress code published on their website. Cargo pants, hiking boots and a collared sports shirt were just fine on "formal night."

It is encouraging to see the cruise companies abandoning the tired and archaic "traditions" of a travel era that ended decades ago.

Not specifically Alaska, but yes, I've seen cruisers on Cunard denied entry to the dining room on a formal night.

Cunard and its passengers generally take the dress code seriously. A jacket is expected every night and a tuxedo or dark suit is expected on a formal night.

On HAL a tie wouldn't be out of place on Gala Night.

Edited by Underwatr

I think you mean button down shirt.

Seems unlikely if they're talking about a formal night of some kind.

Button down shirts are the kind where you use buttons to keep the collar down. So less dressy.

https://www.mainlinemenswear.co.uk/blog/2016/button-up-button-down-shirts

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

You are correct. The shirt is not a button down. I like the idea of a different color as mentioned. This whole story started out over a year ago.

Going on a cruise, need to dress up. Hubby has nice sport coat. I buy a white dress shirt to wear under it. Look at his ties, they are not outdated. Great all set.

Honey, you won't need to take your sport coat, just nice pants and a shirt with a collar. Try on shirt, you can see through it. Go to Macy's a buy a white undershirt to go under it. Don't like that look. Not a lot of choices here. May try to find a black shirt or something dark with a small print on the mainland. I really don't have time to go to Macy's AGAIN! :') Leave for the mainland Saturday. p.s. He does have other L/S shirts with collars.

Will do a trip report. Lot's of really helpful people of cruise critic.

Thanks......

A friend of mine moved from NYC to Maui and loves the relaxed way of life .

For gala nights I wear black shoes ,khaki's or chinos and a long sleeve button down shirt.

Not sure why they didn't post on the HAL board, if they are sailing on HAL, or read the many threads there on the topic.

Note sure why you had to post to add nothing of value other than to act like a jerk.

No tie required. I haven't packed a tie for a cruise in the last 12 years.

If you want to look a bit dressed up but do not want to wear a tie, try wearing a bolo tie. They are very comfortable but not binding on your neck.

DON

Oh Dear :eek:... Please not the "Cowboy" look if you're not a real cowboy...just silly .... JMHO

Note sure why you had to post to add nothing of value other than to act like a jerk.

No tie required. I haven't packed a tie for a cruise in the last 12 years.

Perhaps you don't think it's an important skill to be able to research or reason things out. That's fine, but not everyone agrees with you.

Another important skill is to able to disagree without calling those that disagree with you names to prove your superiority.