Suggestions? VERY Chatty roll call

wassup4565

Some roll calls have been terrific. All kinds of helpful ideas, opportunities to share excursions, possibilities for meeting up for shared interests on board, etc. But others become a chat-fest for an in-crowd who repeatedly post long lists of people joining them for a special dinner, yak back and forth about their upcoming weekend plans, or give ongoing detailed medical reports with a resulting flurry of well wishes.

The problem is that as new people join the roll call there are hundreds, maybe eve thousands of posts of unrelated chit-chat to comb through. Yes, yes, I know there's a search function, but that can still turn up a lot of flotsam.

Any tips for handling this? The one time I politely suggested people could carry on their personal conversations off-line by email, I was answered with outrage and snark. I've pretty much given up on one roll call right now, and it seems like most newcomers have too. As one wrote at the end of a post, "And now back to your regular program."

Hi Wassup

It's hard to dictate what others can say on a public internet forum, so I wouldn't even try, at least not in that kind of situation.

If you keep up with the posts, it would only take a few moments to see if anything recent is relevant for you. You would only need to partake if you chose. As you said some roll calls are helpful, others aren't. I understand your interest trying to gain information relevant to your trip, but if it is not going to happen, you might consider not following and not wasting your time. Those are the roll calls that I would "follow from a distance". It's not like this "in crowd" group would be people you would like to get "chummy" with once you are on the cruise.

hope this helps

Yep. I hear you all. Guess I was looking for the magic silver bullet that says, "I know you people find each other fascinating but there are others who might like a little air time here."

Thanks for the responses, and you're correct, Nic. I won't be dining with these folks. They'd probably prefer that too.

Some roll calls have been terrific. All kinds of helpful ideas, opportunities to share excursions, possibilities for meeting up for shared interests on board, etc. But others become a chat-fest for an in-crowd who repeatedly post long lists of people joining them for a special dinner, yak back and forth about their upcoming weekend plans, or give ongoing detailed medical reports with a resulting flurry of well wishes.

The problem is that as new people join the roll call there are hundreds, maybe eve thousands of posts of unrelated chit-chat to comb through. Yes, yes, I know there's a search function, but that can still turn up a lot of flotsam.

Any tips for handling this? The one time I politely suggested people could carry on their personal conversations off-line by email, I was answered with outrage and snark. I've pretty much given up on one roll call right now, and it seems like most newcomers have too. As one wrote at the end of a post, "And now back to your regular program."

You can try to ignore and continue with legit roll call related posts.

Others will likely follow suit.

I am sure it is extremely frustrating.

All roll calls have their own dynamics.

Good luck.

Very easy solution, start another roll call for the same cruise, or forget about the roll call.

The mods will either merge the two roll calls, or lock (or delete) the newer one.

Although rudimentary by current message board standards, there is an ignore feature that you can use so you will not see the content of the posts of those on your list (though you do see the fact that they made a post). At least it neatens up the page by not showing the huge block quotes or ridiculous "artwork" (sic) appended to the chat-style messages.

(Oh lets face it, the way the Cruise Critic ignore feature functions would be out of date if it was still 1998)

Yep. I hear you all. Guess I was looking for the magic silver bullet that says, "I know you people find each other fascinating but there are others who might like a little air time here."

Thanks for the responses, and you're correct, Nic. I won't be dining with these folks. They'd probably prefer that too.

Doesn't matter what others post doesn't stop you getting your "air time" if it means that much to you.

When that happens I tend to ignore it. A few people will have formed a clique and by then want the roll call to go exactly as they envisioned it with only their new found friends.

Whenever a roll call takes a turn that's not comfortable to me I just drop out and let the clique have their fun.

I get that. I have just cancelled a cruise, and the roll call for that one was predominantly "THIS IS THE NEW ROLL CALL (followed by a list of peoples names and cc handles)

IF YOU WANT TO BE INCLUDED, EMAIL... @.......COM"

It appeared again and again, as if you had to email this person to get on the list, to share shorex. Last I looked, last week, no conversation had been had about shore excursions other than this sham exercise - no details. This person was a nuisance. Who wants to give out their email address? And it's less than 6 months before the cruise.

We had a great roll call for our cruise last month on the Caribbean Princess. It was just the right mix of tips, arranging excursions, meet and greet info, and a little chit-chat. Around 70 showed up for the meet and greet, which was a good number considering some folks missed it due to still tendering from our first port.

In contrast, our roll call for our Zuiderdam cruise in February was pathetic. It had a total of 79 posts.

You can try to ignore and continue with legit roll call related posts.

Others will likely follow suit.

I am sure it is extremely frustrating.

All roll calls have their own dynamics.

Good luck.

This is the best bet - ignore all the garbage before you join, post your bit, and then just scroll through later posts - anyone with anything good to say can do it in a few lines - ignore anything taking more than twenty or so lines.

Something more annoying is on the site that should not be mentioned someone comments with a (.) to bump the post. So you go to it thinking it's interesting or important and nope just a (.) This is for our upcoming TA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years ago I was on one that said "good morning" by at least 30 people AND that told us what their day was going to be. I don't care that you have a dentist appointment and don't need you to say good morning every day. This was long before I knew about the ignore button. I just stopped participating. Unfortunately it was one of my first and stopped me from joining for many more years. I suggested we stop with so much chit chat which promptly got me chastised by those doing it.