What is the right thing to do?

atlantic cruiser

I have booked a cruise for next spring with a small travel agency. Have been very pleased with the personal service etc. Very prompt in answering questions etc. However on this particular cruise they do not have group space and the agent at this point in time could only offer a small OBC. Today I got an email from one of the giant online agencies who are having a sale which includes my cruise. They are offering prepaid, gratuities, a substantial ship board credit and internet minutes. I obviously would like to take advantage of these perks but feel after the time and effort the original agent put in, it would not be right to pull the booking from him. What should I do?

That's a tough one. Good business relationships are valuable and often difficult to develop. Smaller agencies are often motivated to provide more personalized service but because of their size they can't always do everything for you. Large agencies will have more "back-up" agents who can handle things for you if your regular agent is home or on holiday.

I don't know your current agency so I don't know how they'd react to losing this particular sale or if they'd continue to work with you on future trips. This is really your decision, all I think we on the forum can really do is offer things for you to consider.

I would give your TA an opportunity to come close to what the online agency is offering before taking any action. If they come up with something...fine.

If you have no choice, I would contact the online agency and ask that they begin to process a booking transfer.

Lew

I have booked a cruise for next spring with a small travel agency. Have been very pleased with the personal service etc. Very prompt in answering questions etc. However on this particular cruise they do not have group space and the agent at this point in time could only offer a small OBC. Today I got an email from one of the giant online agencies who are having a sale which includes my cruise. They are offering prepaid, gratuities, a substantial ship board credit and internet minutes. I obviously would like to take advantage of these perks but feel after the time and effort the original agent put in, it would not be right to pull the booking from him. What should I do?

If you have used the agent from the small agency several times in the past then you would have reason to remain with him out of loyalty. On the other hand, if this is the first time you have used him, then there is nothing wrong with going with the big savings from the big agency. Just be certain you are comparing the offers in every detail including which cabin you will get.

We also use a smaller TA that is connected to a .com consolidator. If it were me I would be up front, mention the deal and why you are switching for this cruise.

I would give your TA an opportunity to come close to what the online agency is offering before taking any action. If they come up with something...fine.

If you have no choice, I would contact the online agency and ask that they begin to process a booking transfer.

Lew

Lew beat me to it, but that is exactly what I would do. :):)

If the difference is less than say $50 (you should decide what the amount would be before calling your present TA), I would personally not change because of loyalty if you have used them in the past and plan to in the future.

Lew

This is what I would do as well. There is no "right" answer. Only one that makes you feel most comfortable. I don't live life as if it is a board game and the goal is to spend the least amount of money as possible. There are lots of times when I know that my choices are costing me a bit more, but I am more comfortable with them than the alternative.

The difference is a savings of $350.00 pp. Significant enough but not enormous amt. This was my first time dealing with this travel agent and I have been very impressed with his personal service etc. I have decided to be upfront with him and tell what this other offer is and see if he can offer a little more but I don't feel right about cancelling with him. Will let you know how it turns out.

I know people who have booked with large online agencies and some of them I've had to refer to my travel agent to fix issues. It seems that the large agencies will get you the booking and a lower price, but if something goes wrong or you need to make changes, you're kind of on your own...

At least that's what I understand. I use a small travel agent and although I know people are booking for less money, I've always been well taken care of. Sometimes money isn't everything.

$350.00 is substancial.

Larger travel agencies who have many office's get better rates - it's much easier for them!

I would likely book to get more perks as well, especially for the price difference.

It is unfortunate for the small agency you are booked with, but even if it is a small cancellation fee I would consider switching.

$350 per person? That's a huge savings. I totally understand wanting to be loyal to a small agency, but for $700? Yeah, it's true money isn't everything, but that's enough savings to book a short cruise for two people. In fact, I just recently booked a 4 night cruise over Thanksgiving for $375 per person in an outside cabin, taxes and port fees included. I would at least go to the smaller agent first and give them the opportunity to try to match the price. I can't believe they wouldn't understand you wanting to save $700.

I would show the add for the larger agency to your TA. Sometimes the large agency adds are actually offerred by the cruise line, with a code. It maybe your TA can get the benefit too. Any rate it is worth asking.

Recently, I booked with a small agency, the TA called the cruiseline to set up a group booking arrangement and got us extra benefits doing so. She asked for 6 cabins to get the group benefits.

We prefer to book with a small agency, where we know the TA personally vs a large impersonal organization. We are more traditional cruisers.

The difference is a savings of $350.00 pp. Significant enough but not enormous amt. This was my first time dealing with this travel agent and I have been very impressed with his personal service etc. I have decided to be upfront with him and tell what this other offer is and see if he can offer a little more but I don't feel right about cancelling with him. Will let you know how it turns out.

That is a huge savings. You have to do what you feel is right tho. $700 is money in your pocket for excursions, a little shopping and maybe a nice dinner at the Crown Grill.

I know people who have booked with large online agencies and some of them I've had to refer to my travel agent to fix issues. It seems that the large agencies will get you the booking and a lower price, but if something goes wrong or you need to make changes, you're kind of on your own...

At least that's what I understand. I use a small travel agent and although I know people are booking for less money, I've always been well taken care of. Sometimes money isn't everything.

Thanks bd, I always did wonder about those large online agencies. I have never used one. :)

Atlantic Cruiser, keep us informed. Thanks

This is a difficult one. Any TA can put a group together for group rates if they have enough clients sailing on your cruise. Agency size doesn't mean a thing. What counts is whether the TA books a large number of Princess cruises. I'm guessing that your TA doesn't have enough people on the ship to put together a group. Chances are, they can't match the high-volume TAs. You can ask but I don't think they will do much better than what they've offered.

I'd let my TA know about the price difference and see what they can do first. In the past, I've had a TA that said, "I can't match that. Book with them and I hope to be able to provide service for you in the future."

I would give the smaller agency a chance to at least try to keep your business. I deal with a small mom and pop agency in my hometown. I have found the smaller agencies more willing to work with you. From calling a number of times with price drops and silly questions. Bigger is not always better.

First, I would check online at Princess and see if there had been a price drop for my cruise. It could be the online agency is advertising with a Princess price drop and the small TA can also get the reduction. Princess has been dropping prices on many itineraries and if you're vigilant , you can try to get the drops.

We just had both our Royal cruises fares reduced substantially because I saw the price drops and let my TA know. We dropped enough to cover our one way flight home from Europe!:D drinking-red-wine.gif

Give your TA a chance to match the offer .

Any Agency , no matter how big can block Princess Group Space (if it is still available for new groups ) which guarantees the rate from cabin #1 (meaning if only 1 cabin sails you still get the group rate)

$350p/p is too much to pass up .Your TA should understand that . Don't feel guilty , but do give him/her a chance .

A sign of the times I suppose.

As I see it the question is should the O.P. save $700 by moving their booking from an Agency who has done the work, answered their questions and provided superior service?

Maybe the question should be "What is the superior service they have provided, really worth? If it isn't $700 the answer is evident, however shouldn't the T.A. be compensated for the work they have done for the Client?

I know people who have booked with large online agencies and some of them I've had to refer to my travel agent to fix issues. It seems that the large agencies will get you the booking and a lower price, but if something goes wrong or you need to make changes, you're kind of on your own....

There are both good and bad travel agencies of all sizes and types.

Thus there are good and bad small local travel agencies and good and bad large online agencies.

I have used a large online agency and besides good pricing/perks have enjoyed:

o Availability seven days a week including late into the evenings

o Access to a manager on duty who can help when my agent is not there

o Quick refaring when I call after seeing a price drop by the cruiseline

Loyalty is to myself and my family. Booking a cruise is more of a business, not a personal relationship to me so I'd go with the best deal. In the case you are describing YOU are essentially PAYING the TA to do your booking instead of the other way around.

Archived