Convince me to try RCI

We have cruised 4 times, the first on Princess (my favorite) and then 3 on Carnival. We are looking to take another cruise. The cost of Princess, keeps us from choosing them again. This time it will just be 2 of us rather than traveling with our kids. RCI is more expensive especially since we don't get any past guest discounts, tell me why you pick RCI over other cruise lines.

What are you looking for in a cruise? What type of activities/experience do you want? What did you like about Princess that made it your favorite over Carnival? It is better to ascertain whether or not RCI is a good fit for your desires/preferences than to try and convince you to try a cruise line that may not be best for you.

Honestly, I'm would encourage you to cruise RCI with the kids. The ships are fabulous and the activities for kids beats Carnival and Princess hands down...IMO:D. We would do Princess if we were not traveling with kids.

We have three Princess cruises and one Celebrity cruise in our past. We booked RCL for a family cruise next year, as we think it will be a better fit for the family. When I am talking about family though, it's adults and not small kids.

If we were going by ourselves, it would be on Princess as it just offers the things we like to do. I do however think RCL will give the family, more variety of things to do onboard together.

Lots of options out there and to us, depends on who is going with us.

David & Ellen

I hope you take this in the spirit in which it is intended. But I see these posts all the time . . . “Why should I sail XXX cruise line instead of YYY?”, “Convince me to try ZZZ cruise line,” etc. I have only sailed on three cruise lines (RCI, NCL and Carnival) and I could very easily never sail another cruise line, but I am considering a Princess cruise because they have an itinerary that no one else does that interests me. But I see absolutely no value in asking other people to convince me to try it in just general terms. What I’m going to do is read all the Princess reviews on CC (at least the ship I want to go on), start reading the Princess boards, etc. and I’m sure among all the thousands and thousands of posts I will get a general feel for whether it is for me or not. And no matter what I read, unless every review is absolutely horrible (which I doubt), I am going to try it anyway.

If you have a specific question or specific comparison in mind between Princess and RCI, or some aspect of cruising is important or even critical to you, then I’m sure you will get some specific answers.

I hope you take this in the spirit in which it is intended. But I see these posts all the time . . . “Why should I sail XXX cruise line instead of YYY?”, “Convince me to try ZZZ cruise line,” etc. I have only sailed on three cruise lines (RCI, NCL and Carnival) and I could very easily never sail another cruise line, but I am considering a Princess cruise because they have an itinerary that no one else does that interests me. But I see absolutely no value in asking other people to convince me to try it in just general terms. What I’m going to do is read all the Princess reviews on CC (at least the ship I want to go on), start reading the Princess boards, etc. and I’m sure among all the thousands and thousands of posts I will get a general feel for whether it is for me or not. And no matter what I read, unless every review is absolutely horrible (which I doubt), I am going to try it anyway.

If you have a specific question or specific comparison in mind between Princess and RCI, or some aspect of cruising is important or even critical to you, then I’m sure you will get some specific answers.

Completely agree with your take. A person should not only read the reviews of a particular line, but read the reviews of the exact ship one intends to sail. If someone were to post the answer to "why sail RCI?" based on experiences on the Allure and one was going to sail on Majesty (a ship without the bells and whistles), the answer wouldn't be very valid.

cruisinatdawn,

We have sailed on Princess and Carnival as well. Now we are sailing on RCI. For us, the experience is somewhere in between Princess and Carnival.

We also have plans to try Celebrity and Holland America. For us, cruising is all about the destination and ports of call. The cruise line is secondary.

If you are looking for something new, why not give RCI a try? Regardless of what anyone says, you won't know what it is really like unless you try it for yourself.

We did 3 cruises on Princess , I like princess but I found Caribbean and Crown ships to be too crowded , much prefer RCCL Voyager ships which never appeared crowded to me, rccl also has best entertainment ( missed too many shows on Princess since there were no seats left)

This subject comes up a lot here, especially between RCI and Princess. You could use the Search this Forum function and type in something like "RCI vs. (insert cruise line of your choice). Many threads will come up. :) Of course the RCI fans on this board want you to try Royal. The decision is yours after a little research, reading reviews, etc.

I have found there to be a greater feeling of energy and enthusiasm on RC than on Princess. I like the variety of activities and enjoy the shows and the music venues. I feel that the venues are better laid out with more seating than Princess. I also prefer the decor as it is understated and less ornate. The food choices are more traditional on Princess and the quality generally better but the food on RC is more varied and inventive, which sometimes misses the mark. The balconies are not stepped out so there is more privacy but less direct sunlight. I have found itineraries I like and convenient departure ports. If I lived on the West coast, Princess would have the edge.

So, it's a matter of personal choice. Hard to go wrong on a cruise, I would think.

With so many cruise lines out there to suit everyones needs, it is difficult to say one will like a line over another as it comes down to personal preferances. I will say that we have cruised twice with Princess, myself I did a Princess with friends this past Sept, but the majority of our cruises have gone with Royal Caribbean because their rooms are larger then Princess, for overall enjoyment, RCCL has served us the best. Princess does have great itineraries but for the most part they have priced us out of sailing with them for longer cruises. We prefer the entertainment on Royal, food I would say is equally good. The biggest downside to Princess, is their cabin size. We had a D-1 on the Radiance that was larger then our friends JS on our recent Princess cruise. I say give RCCL a try and am sure you will have a wonderful cruise.

Although we have no kids, they are great if you travel with or without them. Their loyalty awards are just great and not quite matched when you ask others about their loyalty rewards. Aim for diamond, only 80 nights, £200 ($300) discount on most balcony rooms. Free bar every night and diamond lounge where its a great opportunity to meet new people and return cruisers. I have spoken to many RCCL guests who hae travelled with others and most happy to stay with RCCL... They give good value for money and schemes like future cruise vouchers give free on board credits up to $200 at NO COST to you!

We have cruised 4 times, the first on Princess (my favorite) and then 3 on Carnival. We are looking to take another cruise. The cost of Princess, keeps us from choosing them again. This time it will just be 2 of us rather than traveling with our kids. RCI is more expensive especially since we don't get any past guest discounts, tell me why you pick RCI over other cruise lines.

We shouldn't have to convince you to cruise with RCI….

Having said that they have the best all round fleet of ships and consistently offer excellent service (better than Princess and Cunard, which are the two other lines I have tried)….. :D

We are Diamond + on RCCL and just took our last cruise with them. As the ships get larger the food quality and service gets worse. We are looking at Princess and NCL. If you are happy with the other cruises you have taken I stay stick with them.

I think your question is perfectly fine. I have only done one Princess and loved it. But I have done 16 Royal Caribbean for a reason. I enjoy the variety, design of ships, luxury feel. The shows on the bigger ships are outstanding. Food is about equal, some things better than others on each cruise line. Loyalty program is beyond compare. A great variety of choices between classes of ships. For a "normal" cruise you have Vision class. For a great variety, Voyager class. For even more, Freedom class, and for an absolutely unique, "must do experience," Oasis class. We have never done Radiance class, but will one day. Depending on what you enjoy, give it a try. For example, on Oasis or Allure, you can "party the night away," or take a romantic stroll through Central Park. You can surf the Flow Rider, ride the Zip Line, Rock Climb. Or lay around th Beach Pool, relax in the Solarium, or enjoy your balcony in private. Eat Italian, have a great steak at Chops, enjoy a gourmet tasting meal at 150 Central Park, or a great burger at Johnny Rockets. You can book a nice inside cabin or a 2 story Crown Loft. And so much more. Give it a shot. You'll love the Royal Caribbean experience. You may still prefer Princess, but who knows? Maybe you'll do what we did, and suddenly find yourself a Diamond member with free happy hour, great discounts, and other perks.

I say go for it. Then you'll know. Either way you'll still have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

As you can see, there are ALOT of opinions on these topics ( convince me, or why should I cruise xxx..).... we have cruised all but Costa of the mainstream lines...for me, it's the SHIPS that are very different to start..IMHO, RCI's ships BLOW away Carnival & Princess..now, I must clarify that I am talking about the Radiance,Voyager, Freedom & Oasis class ships ONLY...that means all ships ABOVE 90,000 tons...we love the Royal Promenade on the bigger ships...love the canti-levered hot tubs that stick out over side in the adult pool area on the Freedom & Oasis class ships...the diving shows on Oasis/Allure are THEE BEST shows at sea we've ever seen....Hairspray on Oasis I thought was the best musical production show I've ever seen on my 28 cruises..Saturday Night Fever on the Liberty Of The Seas was also spectacular..better than anything I've seen on Carnival or Princess...don't forget the amazing ice show and the Flowriders surf simulator pools on Freedom & Oasis class....food is subjective, so I rarely talk about that...BUT, I like options and on the Oasis ships, there are 26 dining options- some are free, some you must $$...I don't go by price of the cruise, because except for Disney, most are close in price..Carnival is usually cheaper because I honestly feel they have a cheaper product..kinda like Carnival is the Holiday Inn & RCI is the Grand Hyatt..or maybe Carnival is the Outback and RCI is Ruth Chris..I find Princess in between both...knock on Princess is average age of passengers is older, ship shuts at 11 PM, and entertainment is mediocre...I like the ships themselves, very elegant, and I loved the aft pools and the Wheelhouse Bar...Next up for us is the Disney Dream in 9 days..they also have a great product, but it is more $$....if you try RCI, I would try the Freedom, Liberty, or Independence Of The Seas, or the Oasis/ Allure of the Seas...you WON'T be bored on those..and one more thing: no one gets on a Carnival ship and feels "wowed"...when I walked onto my first RCI Royal Promenade, my mouth dropped open and I just went, wow.....then the 3 tiered dining room...wow...get the picture??

As you can see, there are ALOT of opinions on these topics ( convince me, or why should I cruise xxx..).... we have cruised all but Costa of the mainstream lines...for me, it's the SHIPS that are very different to start..IMHO, RCI's ships BLOW away Carnival & Princess..now, I must clarify that I am talking about the Radiance,Voyager, Freedom & Oasis class ships ONLY...that means all ships ABOVE 90,000 tons...we love the Royal Promenade on the bigger ships...love the canti-levered hot tubs that stick out over side in the adult pool area on the Freedom & Oasis class ships...the diving shows on Oasis/Allure are THEE BEST shows at sea we've ever seen....Hairspray on Oasis I thought was the best musical production show I've ever seen on my 28 cruises..Saturday Night Fever on the Liberty Of The Seas was also spectacular..better than anything I've seen on Carnival or Princess...don't forget the amazing ice show and the Flowriders surf simulator pools on Freedom & Oasis class....food is subjective, so I rarely talk about that...BUT, I like options and on the Oasis ships, there are 26 dining options- some are free, some you must $$...I don't go by price of the cruise, because except for Disney, most are close in price..Carnival is usually cheaper because I honestly feel they have a cheaper product..kinda like Carnival is the Holiday Inn & RCI is the Grand Hyatt..or maybe Carnival is the Outback and RCI is Ruth Chris..I find Princess in between both...knock on Princess is average age of passengers is older, ship shuts at 11 PM, and entertainment is mediocre...I like the ships themselves, very elegant, and I loved the aft pools and the Wheelhouse Bar...Next up for us is the Disney Dream in 9 days..they also have a great product, but it is more $$....if you try RCI, I would try the Freedom, Liberty, or Independence Of The Seas, or the Oasis/ Allure of the Seas...you WON'T be bored on those..and one more thing: no one gets on a Carnival ship and feels "wowed"...when I walked onto my first RCI Royal Promenade, my mouth dropped open and I just went, wow.....then the 3 tiered dining room...wow...get the picture??

I did feel "WOWED" when I stepped aboard the Carnival Triumph, way back in 1999. It was my first cruise, and I didn't know one from another. In my opinion, the ship was opulent, food and entertainment great, and the cabin was tastfully appointed.

Looking forward to being WOWED on the Explorer next spring.

Sorry cannot convince you that is your decision to make, what I may like, you will not so trying to convince someone else is difficult especially if you have no idea what their likes or dislikes are.

We have been on many cruise lines and there are things we liked about all of them. What we have found is RCL has the best on board experience for us the only area that does not match up is the food in the MDR which is average but we know that going in. We have been cruising RCL on and off over the years and we have always enjoyed ourselves.

As others have wrote, read reviews, watch youtube videos to get a sense of what the ships are like also determine what is important to you on a cruise then come back and ask specific questions. Just be aware this is all subjective.

Edited by dfishner