Do elite passengers get free cabin upgrades

hpeabody

I am now elite in the Captains Circle loyalty program, which is great! I have observed that since my 4th or 5th cruise I am no longer being offered any free cabin upgrades. Do they stop free upgrades once you reach a certain level? (Since you are now pretty well sucked in) I used to love hoping the upgrade fairy would visit, and a couple times she did :)

Have any of you other elite been offered an upgrade since you made elite? I know it is supposed to be random, but wondering.

I am now elite in the Captains Circle loyalty program, which is great! I have observed that since my 4th or 5th cruise I am no longer being offered any free cabin upgrades. Do they stop free upgrades once you reach a certain level? (Since you are now pretty well sucked in) I used to love hoping the upgrade fairy would visit, and a couple times she did :)

Have any of you other elite been offered an upgrade since you made elite? I know it is supposed to be random, but wondering.

No, there is no program for upgrades like airlines have. The best thing about Elite is the laundry.

We've only been given one or two really good upgrades in all the years we've been cruising with Princess.

One was at the dock to a suite. I think MAYBE that one might have been because we're elite. Several of our neighbors who got upgrades were elite, too.

Edited by gooch47

In 26 cruises I have been upgraded twice! Once from an obstructed view to a top cat OV. The second was the last cruise from an inside to a porthole on the Star. BTW, I loved the porthole cabin. It's was small but I'm a solo so it was fine for me.

You may or may not get an upgrade if you're elite or any other category. Personally, I think they offer more upgrades to new Princess cruisers to get them hooked. I used to get upgrade offers many years back. Most were within the same category or inside to OV. I still kept hoping. Well, this year I was upgraded from mini to full suite. I was totally surprised and don't expect it to ever happen again. I think it mostly has to do with the cruise line's need to move people or make space. The upgrade recipient in in the right place at the right time.

I wish Elites got upgrades...but after 22 Princess cruises, including a Workd Cruise, we have only gotten one Meta upgrade. Occasionally, moved from one cabin to another in the same category. But I don't really consider that an upgrade;)

So I always book a cabin I am happy with...cause no guarantees on the upgrade thing!

I am elite.Requested no upgrade.

I usually pick a cabin at the price I can afford plus the area I prefer.

With an upgrade it might be an upgrade in Princesses mind but not yours.

It is a gamble really some win some loose

Edited by kruisey

Never received a "free" upgrade but several times have been offered an "up-sell." Three differing cruise lines. They were always from an OV to a balcony for a very reasonable price. I've never turned them down. We just received one for our Grand to Hawaii cruise this coming Monday and we are ecstatic. It was a huge jump for a mere $99/pp. In this case it was a matter of being home and responding to the email as soon as it came in. We are not elite.

The only upgrade we ever received was from a forward minisuite to a midship mini. Not much of a difference.

In fact, that was the only upgrade at all on any of my 50+ cruises on several cruise lines. We've never even been offered an upsell.

I've been cruising Princess since 1974 and I've had exactly ONE upgrade--on a 3-day Coastal last month--which I politely turned down because I booked the stateroom I did for a very specific reason. I probably shouldn't expect another one anytime soon.:o

Personally, I think they offer more upgrades to new Princess cruisers to get them hooked.

I think this is more common than for Elites who continue to return even without any upgrades. ;)

I've had a few small 'upgrades' but my best upgrade was from obstructed o/v to a midship larger balcony Caribe deck cabin. A week prior to sailing I noticed there were many cabins still available so my TA requested an upgrade from the Princess DSM. I never expected such an upgrade but enjoyed a great balcony in Alaska instead of a view of a lifeboat. :D

There is a rumor in the travel industry that some cruise lines are more apt to give upgrades to first-time cruisers then to a veteran. We have been on more cruises then we can count (with 14 cruise lines) and have never been offered a major upgrade. Getting an upgrade within the same type of cabin (such as from a low category balcony to a higher category) is very common and we do not even consider that much of an upgrade. Another possibility are what is known as "Upsells" when the cruise line might offer to give you a much better cabin for a reduced price. Upsells seem to be more common on Holland America then other lines, but it can happen with any cruise line.

Hank

We have a lot more Princess cruises than the 25 or 30 being mentioned and as for upgrades, the only time we get them is when we book a guarantee. We always have gotten one under those circumstances; sometimes very big ones. However, those bookings are also few and far between, since we like to choose our own cabin, and always for long cruises.

I just got my first Princess upgrade (just made Elite) from an OV to a balcony on a 3-nighter on Golden.:D:D But I think that's because they wanted my OV - those were sold out, and loads of balconies were left.

That is the reason for most of the upgrades. They want to re-sell the cabin you are in and relocate you to a cabin that would probably not be sold.

It is usually not a gift from the generosity of Princess, it is a way to raise more revenue.

Edited by caribill