New HAL cabin picture/review site: what do you want it to be?

sppunk

So HAL Facts is already up and running (in a rudimentary form).

I found it interesting to see specific historic information (officer names for example), daily events and menus from many years ago. This is a good idea (for people like me). I wish I could research past versions of the cruise and shore activities on the ship I'll be on in April. My only comment about this feature so far, is that you consider joining the images somehow (slide show format?) so visitors don't have to use the back button.

Information found on Joanie's site that's not on HAL's would be nice to see (room+deck sizes and wi-fi repeater locations to name two).

You said you won't be doing deck plans but (if someone is eager and handy) wouldn't that be the neatest way to see cabin features. If you hoover your mouse over a cabin, the interactive plan could note the features of the room, let you click on photos for the room or advice the visitor if this room is similar to another that does have photos. Obviously this would require an expert to set up and significant amounts of time so I trust it's not on your to-do list (at the moment).

I know I'll be using your site in the future. Thank you for stepping up. Keep up the good work.

You guys are ROCKSTARS! I think I spend more time on cabin choice than itinerary.

Can cabins be reviewed? For example we had an aft balcony (Not HAL) and it was so terrible the cruise line gave us considerable compensation. I also reviewed said cabin on cc. I think most ppl would appreciate a noise type heads up such as this.

Or next HAL cruise isn't until this summer but I would gladly sent pictures.

Thanks again

Thank you for taking on the task to provide this valuable resource.

I would like to see the site with fairly short pages, so that I could jump quickly to what I am looking for. For example, each ship, then perhaps each cabin category, then even perhaps by deck.

A simple organization to get to what I am looking for, without scrolling past a lot of what I am not looking for, would be helpful.

Best of luck getting this project off the ground.

This is it in a nutshell. I will get together what I have for when you are ready to accept photos. Thanks and good luck

Thank you so much for taking on this task as having individual cabin information has been invaluable to me in cruise booking.

One thing I might add is noting the location of WiFi "cones" in the hallways as that can effect the useful of the internet in particular cabins.

Like others I thank you in advance for taking on this daunting task. It would be great if you could include veranda sizes on your site since they can vary depending on class of ship and then deck to deck.

Thanks again, Barb

Good evening all!

Pictures / comments to be included on the new cabin site can be sent to

pictures@halfacts.com

this address has been set up for this purpose only. Please forward any

comments to one of us working on the site.

Thanks to all

Rich

Hi Rich, what size would you need for pictures?

Rick

Thx for taking this project on. Would love to see something organized by ship and where the cabin pics are easy to find. I don't have a ton of time and I'm really impatient so if I have to look for something for more than a few minutes I give up.

You said you won't be doing deck plans but (if someone is eager and handy) wouldn't that be the neatest way to see cabin features. If you hoover your mouse over a cabin, the interactive plan could note the features of the room, let you click on photos for the room or advice the visitor if this room is similar to another that does have photos. Obviously this would require an expert to set up and significant amounts of time so I trust it's not on your to-do list (at the moment).

What you are describing sounds real cool but an WebApplication (with programming and a database behind it) and a very, VERY BIG project to create and maintain. :)

I understand the scope of this new site is provision of pictures and descriptions of cabins in a more "table like" layout you could scroll through. Sort of along the lines of what Joanie has up. And this is big project. Thank you Magnificent3 for taking it on.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

Thx for taking this project on. Would love to see something organized by ship and where the cabin pics are easy to find. I don't have a ton of time and I'm really impatient so if I have to look for something for more than a few minutes I give up.

One way/suggestion could be to have a section at the top of the page or at the section break that would list the cabins (in numeric order) that have pictures/comments. So when a new cabin is added (to the site) it's number gets added to this section. Example: (I have no idea how STDMs cabins are numbered)

S Class: (Top of page or section)

Statendam

(Cabins: 201; 270; 400; 601; 700)

(Down the page)

Cabin 201. Pictures. Text/ comments sent in by CC member(s)

Cabin 270. Pictures. Text/comments sent in by CC

Thanks for volunteering to take this on.... a well used resource for sure.

A suggestion: if you haven't already checked them out, how about something similar to the ones on Celebrity? IMHO, they're extremely easy to search/navigate, even if you don't want to set it up in a spreadsheet format and it's straightforward in the format to fill out info about a cabin. People are asked not to post specific cabin questions on the thread as well which keeps it uncluttered.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=911018

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1911871 (this one was started this past fall and is based on the S Class ships)

Just a thought............

Cheers!

Barb

And a good thought at that, Barb! That seems to be an excellent format.

Hi Rich, what size would you need for pictures?

Rick

I'm wondering the same- size/pixel density. In the past I've sent in pix at full size (300dpi) which is way more than needed for the screen and leads to having to send (and track) multiple emails. (But it makes for "printable" pictures.)

Maybe it would be helpful if we came up with a list of suggested pix and info to make it easier for CCrs to gather the data as we all cruise.

Such as ( based on some posts so far)

Required: cabin number, month/year taken, basic photo of main cabin area

Suggested shots: bathroom, shower area, view out of window if there are obstructions,.....

Suggested info: noise(what and when)? Privacy on balcony? Size of cabin, size of balcony, accessibility and scooter parking,....

Would you want help with picture pre-production/prep? (Correcting color, pixel density?) I may be able to help.

So many great suggestions so far. I LOVE that you guys are going to do this. I wish I could myself but my coding skills are not up for a site this complex.

I LOVE the idea of a standard. Not everyone will take pix just for this site's purpose, but it would help people compare. And I love the idea of standard description info. And dating the pix.

Please tell US what we can do to help YOU make this site incredible.

Thanks again.

My biggest "request" would be for being able to look up the a cabin across the same class of ships. The site might not have 7142 on the Zuiderdam, but will have it for the Westy or such.

Your efforts are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Cabin pictures and info only. NO PUBLIC SPACES as this will produce clutter and additional navigation. Public spaces, lounges etc. change regularly and become outdated.

Thanks again for starting discussion on this project. It will be a big undertaking.

Your efforts are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Cabin pictures and info only. NO PUBLIC SPACES as this will produce clutter and additional navigation. Public spaces, lounges etc. change regularly and become outdated.

Thanks again for starting discussion on this project. It will be a big undertaking.

That's a very interesting point. Thank you :D

The more ideas we get the better :)

This is for the members so the more input and ideas we have - the better :)

I didn't see anyone ask this question. Would you want video links to videos taken? Or is this pictures only?

good question. We are planning on a 'meeting' shortly - we wanted to get feed back from the members. So stay tuned and do come back. There will be an answer:D