El Cheapo Cruises Thread

5 minutes ago, mum and son said:

Is this only available for those who received an email special? I usually sail Princess but I still love a deal 😉.

You have to had sailed with carnival. When you add your vip number, on the carnival website it will show the specials. Not everyone has it attached to their number

Edited by stki

2 minutes ago, stki said:

You have to had sailed with carnival. When you add your vip number, on the carnival website it will show the specials. Not everyone has it attached to their number

Thanks for the reply. I've never sailed Carnival so I'll just have to congratulate all who got a cracking cruise deal! I've had a few "dropped digit" deals in my time so I have nothing to complain about. Happy cruising!

Now even US $100 per person per night is too much.

MSC  has gone below US $40 per person per night, including all port fees and taxes, excluding gratuities.

eg. MSC Virtuosa, London to Lisbon on 1st May 2022 is only US $113 per person for 3 nights in an inside cabin including all port fees and taxes, excluding gratuities.

Mind you MSC Virtuosa is a beautiful new ship!

Edited by drsel

Received email today re Maiden Voyage of MSC Seascape Rome to New York via Bermuda. 24 Nights including return flights  from AUD3599.

Edited to add. 16/11/2022.

Edited by lyndarra

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sparky74 said:

23 night Transpacific from Seattle to Sydney on Carnival Splendor sailing on 6th September 2022. Interior cabin from $1,716pp on the Australian Carnival website. That’s less than $75/night!

Am wondering if gratuities are included in this fare.

8 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

23 night Transpacific from Seattle to Sydney on Carnival Splendor sailing on 6th September 2022. Interior cabin from $1,716pp on the Australian Carnival website. That’s less than $75/night!

Damn. Even solo prices are good and well within my solo per night budget.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

can you Work from home on a cruise ship? Asking for a friend……..🤔

Actually I’m already planning on travelling and WFH or travel locations. We have already proved that we can wfh and I think this will make travel and cruising more flexible with work. Just as long as there is a balance between travel & work.

2 hours ago, Esilef said:

It depends on where that cruise ship happens to be. Although cruise ship internet has improved, there are areas where not many satellites are focused and the internet is nearly nonexistent. The middle of the Pacific Ocean is one of those areas. You are lucky to get an email out, let alone trying to maintain a connection for a period of time.

2 hours ago, Esilef said:

If the internet is good enough you possibly could. However, on previous trans Pacific cruises, I recall that there are a couple of areas where there wasn't any internet etc. available. This could have improved in the last few years. After all, we haven't cruised for two years. 😁

3 hours ago, Esilef said:

I think that might cramp my cruising style. 
I like to be able to disconnect from work when I’m on a cruise. 

I don't know if this is el cheapo or not, but I'm interested in a relocation cruise in October 2023 from LA to Sydney, including Hawaii, Tahiti and New Zealand (27 days) for under $6000 for a balcony cabin on the Majestic Princess.

Covid should be sorted by then.

Of course there is the one way airfare to LA to consider ....

Any contras to bear in mind?

I thought the days of cruising for $100/person/night were over but then I stumbled upon this deal. 

P&O X228N

Barrier Reef Discovery Cruise

Pacific Explorer 

25/7/22 - 4/8/22

ex Sydney

$699/person

That’s $70/day! 😱

20 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

I thought the days of cruising for $100/person/night were over but then I stumbled upon this deal. 

P&O X228N

Barrier Reef Discovery Cruise

Pacific Explorer 

25/7/22 - 4/8/22

ex Sydney

$699/person

That’s $70/day! 😱

Same itinerary and price for 23/8/22

On 4/1/2022 at 2:14 PM, Sparky74 said:

Man, I am so tempted to jump on that deal, but we have a Hawaii to Sydney cruise onboard RCI during that time.

On 4/2/2022 at 8:16 AM, Esilef said:

I'd need good internet.  Skype for Business/Teams meetings along with remote control access to computers, but yeah, I could.  I work in IT support and just need a good, steady connection via VPN.  As long as Carnival doesn't block Netscaler VPN connections, I'm in.  I have thought about that even before the pandemic.  My boss got us tablets/laptops with VPN accounts back in 2018.

I'm half tempted to try this one time; take a cruise but "work from home".  Red Frog Pub in the background on a Teams call, chomping on a Guy's burger 🍔 with a frosty ale 🍺 by my side. 😜

• Like 1