which airlines do you prefer

Dreamer115

The only airline I would never use again is Air Canada. I can't think of one thing that impressed me about them. Flight was an hour late even though the plane was at the gate two hours before takeoff. Get this, they forgot to take on water after the last flight came in. Service was slow. Inflight entertainment was on the internet so if you didn't have a tablet, or smartphone, you had to rent one from them. Paid extra for exit row seats and there was only about two inches of extra leg room. Kept it so cold in the plane it felt like a meat locker. Food was pathetic. This was on a 7 1/2 hour transatlantic.

I don't have a lot of choice on the first part of the trip. Vancouver to Quebec City. Only Air Canada or West Jet. Air Canada goes through Montreal and West Jet through Toronto. I was thinking that Montreal would be better than Toronto so.....

If you could choose an airline if the price was the same which would it be and why?

American, United, Delta, Air Canada, Alaska

I have only flown Alaska and would like to find out which may be better.

Thanks

Connie

This might sound weird, but I would say whichever one you can fly on business/first class for, for not much more. We flew to Cabo last year on Alaska. Shortly before we left, we were able to upgrade to first class for $50 p/p. That gave us free bags, which saved $25 p/p.

We are booked on AA, first/business class to San Juan in May, it wasn't much more than economy, and includes bags an meals.

We flew to Europe on US Air in economy....and we vowed that we would never do it again. I didn't even know that they made seats that were that small, and that close together and uncomfortable.

So as far as the carriers that you have mentioned...I think they are all pretty similar. Unless we are flying Southwest, we will sometimes pay a little more for comfort on long flights.

If you could choose an airline if the price was the same which would it be and why?

I mix and match based on my needs....

• which flies to Asia?
  • which has the best departure/arrival times for my itinery?
  • which allows me to select a seat? How much extra will it cost me?
  • which has the best deal with the heaviest luggage allowance? I missed the old days of 100lbs!
  • which code shares with my loyalty plan?

For others...

• seat width and legroom

Unless they don't fly there or fare difference is just too much, we always fly United or Star Alliance partners.

SF is a United hub and when we were both working (including being Premier Execs or 1K), United treated us very well.

If for no other reason than to keep replenishing our banked miles, we will stay with United.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry if it isn't an option for you, but my first choice is always Southwest. Booked Freedom out of Port Canaveral, then decided to change to Oasis out of Fort Lauderdale. Change fee on most airlines would've been $1000 or so for four. Change fee on Southwest - $0. Bags - $0. And always the best prices.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks

Connie

Too many unknowns to your question such as :

• Are there multiple airports in both the departing and arrival city? If so which is more convenient to your home and or final destination?
  • Is it a domestic or international flight?

In addition I also take into consideration the points listed in Post #7 of this thread when making flight decisions.
  • Are you comparing apples to apples? For example do all the air carriers you're inquiring about have direct non-stop flights .

Edited by xxoocruiser

After fly over much of this planet, there are a few NOT SO GOOD airlines in terms of service, but they got you there. For us it it usually the CHEAPEST price for the fewest hours of travel time. Some times that does not always work out.

They're all pretty much the same, you can have a good or bad experience on any of them any given day.

It's comical when you read forum stories from people who swear they'll never fly a certain airline again because of a bad flight experience, there are bad stories about EVERY airline every day. For example the one above about Air Canada. Air Canada for me stands out as some of the BEST flying experiences I've EVER had:)

Unless you're loyal for the miles just go with price.

FYI this thread will probably get moved to the Cruise Air section.

Edited by bouhunter

I think it depends how long your flight is.

i would fly with most US airlines within the US but would not usually fly one outside US. I have flown Qantas, Emirates, Singapore Airlines, British Airways and from research would also be happy with Air New Zealand and Cathay Pacific long haul.

Delta Airlines, only because I fly out of the usa normally when I cruise and *knock on wood* never had a problem wiht that airline andvery friendly people and a short drive to Maine has saved me thousand of dollars over the years.

If I was flying within Canada i would choose air Canada. We dont have as many options here.

**side note**

Its getting cheaper to fly to Florida from Canada now

We fly exclusively United or a Star Alliance partner unless they do not fly where we are going (for example, our next trip is to French Polynesia so we are on Air Tahiti Nui from LAX to PPT).

Also we live about fifteen minutes from O'Hare and have so many non stop options on United from our home airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I don't have a lot of choice on the first part of the trip. Vancouver to Quebec City. Only Air Canada or West Jet. Air Canada goes through Montreal and West Jet through Toronto. I was thinking that Montreal would be better than Toronto so.....

As a Canadian who has flown both I would say West Jet over AC. Toronto might be easier also if you don't speak French.

The only airline I would never use again is Air Canada. I can't think of one thing that impressed me about them. Flight was an hour late even though the plane was at the gate two hours before takeoff. Get this, they forgot to take on water after the last flight came in. Service was slow. Inflight entertainment was on the internet so if you didn't have a tablet, or smartphone, you had to rent one from them. Paid extra for exit row seats and there was only about two inches of extra leg room. Kept it so cold in the plane it felt like a meat locker. Food was pathetic. This was on a 7 1/2 hour transatlantic.

Yup, that is their new service....Rouge. It's the pits to say the least.....we have a new saying here in Canada now....if you got "Rogued" it means you got screwed....lol

As a Canadian who has flown both I would say West Jet over AC. Toronto might be easier also if you don't speak French.

Ive been to Montreal a ton of times and never at the airport or hotel etc have I had a problem speaking english, The only time I had problems was driving threw Quebec City, But that is all together different :D

Monctonguy

Yup, that is their new service....Rouge. It's the pits to say the least.....we have a new saying here in Canada now....if you got "Rogued" it means you got screwed....lol

lol that is the first time ive heard that one.

Sorry if it isn't an option for you, but my first choice is always Southwest. Booked Freedom out of Port Canaveral, then decided to change to Oasis out of Fort Lauderdale. Change fee on most airlines would've been $1000 or so for four. Change fee on Southwest - $0. Bags - $0. And always the best prices.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ditto on Southwest. Great customer service especially when making reservation changes after a booking and no baggage fees which also helps on the price. Of course if you pack to take your house the fees will break you but we pack smartly and never have had a problem.

If they service the airport we always choose Southwest for cruises-- bags free and liberal on the allowance plus you can change flight no fee-- example--last November we cruised RT out of San Juan-- we had read all the CC recommendations about taking an afternoon flight out of San Juan so we booked a 3:30 PM flight.

We arrived at the airport at 8:45 am and were able to score a 10:45 SW flight with no Change fee or added fare!!! And we were very very glad to not have to sit around at SJU for 7 1/2 hours....

Thanks

Connie

From one BC'er to another, you should always look at Seattle departures first... always. Only once out of over 10 times (upcoming March) have I scored a flight deal out of YVR to an embarkation port (HOU, FLL, MIA). 3hr drive has saved me $200-$500pp.

AA airlines: lowest end planes, many with no entertainment or movies

Delta: really nice planes and Atlanta connection very nice terminal. One of nicer of mass market US airlines imo

Southwest: sometimes best prices, nice comfortable planes

Alaska: more like American Airlines, lower end for me

United: decent planes but not as nice as Delta, Houston airport is also a great layover hub airport. United connects from YVR.

Best customer service I ever had, saved my butt getting to a cruise same day when plane encountered mechanical failure... taxi'd me free of charge to another airport, with food vouchers, and onto competitor American Airline flight in order to get me to cruise on time. Did this from the tarmac on my cell. I couldn't thank them enough. I try to look for United first everytime now unless another carrier's price is too low to refuse. When someone saves your butt from missing your cruise (think cost, stress, time missed to get to next port... especially if a couple of sea days first!!), I'll give United my business first if I can

Aside from arrival & departure times, direct vs. non-stop, and price (don't forget to include luggage fees & seat selection fees if applicable), a couple other things to consider...

1) What are the change fees?

2) Do the airlines allow you a free change if *THEY* change the flight (usually requires a change of over an hour)?

3) How many other flights are there that day (from both the original airport and connecting airport)? If there's weather, mechanical, or human problem, do you have to wait days or hours to get to your destination.

All other things being equal, I'd fly JetBlue, Delta, or Southwest.

So many Canadians hate Air Canada and love WestJet. I refuse to fly WestJet. Every flight I have had with them has been late, and the cabin crew were so jaw-droppingly unprofessional it beggared belief. Air Canada may not be perfect but they've done a lot better in my experiences.