Woman missed the boat (Jade) in Corfu

RickT

Last week we were in Corfu on the Celebrity Equinox and unfortunately saw the Jade sailing away with a female passenger left on the dock.

We saw her running past us just as the Jade was pulling away from the pier. She didn't seem too distraut but looking at the Jade's next port of Santorini you can't help but wonder how she caught up with the ship.

Hopefully she made it OK, there appeared to be someone from the port authority talking to her. She was just dressed in a bikini and cover up. Hopefully she had her credit card and lots of cash with her.

Just another note to pay attention to when you ship leaves (it was early, 3:30) and to make sure you are there in plenty of time.

... She was just dressed in a bikini and cover up. Hopefully she had her credit card and lots of cash with her.

Just another note to pay attention to when you ship leaves (it was early, 3:30) and to make sure you are there in plenty of time.

And wear something that you can fit a credit card and lots of cash in. And maybe a passport too!;)

And wear something that you can fit a credit card and lots of cash in. And maybe a passport too!;)

That's what waterproof swim pouches are for...[emoji21]

Wow, I hope she got to her next port ok - missing the boat is sucha vacation mood-killer![emoji15]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Regardless of how much fun we are having, we are always, always on board at least 90 minutes prior to final boarding time. I am not taking any chances! One of us always carries copies of our passports as well as a credit card. I would rather err on the side of caution.......

The port Authority would most likely have been given her passport and possibly credit cards if she had left these in the safe.

We have seen this happen several times and almost to us once!

Taking the cruise lines shore excursions does, sometimes, have a benefit….

Regardless of how much fun we are having, we are always, always on board at least 90 minutes prior to final boarding time. I am not taking any chances! One of us always carries copies of our passports as well as a credit card. I would rather err on the side of caution.......

90 minutes feels like a bit of overkill...wouldn't 60 do it?

Was on the Jade last week and saw the woman running too. We were having a sail away drink in The Great Outdoors bar. Believe four passengers missed the boat in Corfu. Their names were broadcast twice requesting they notify guest services/crew if they were on board prior to departing. A few tried similar in Katakolon later in the week, but just made it! I was watching again as the ships horn had been sounded twice - some folks hearing seems to be lacking, they just sauntered up whilst crew waived them on!

Hard to have a lot of sympathy for folks that miss the ship. I've seen near misses on every stop on every ship I cruised. If the ship misses its departure time, especially in busy ports, it can be an hour or more late to depart and incur up to $50,000 in additional fuel costs. I always arrive at least an hour before departure. It leaves time for traffic, cab or other unexpected issues. I also avoid getting drunk at the local watering hole, which judging by folks staggering late to the ship, appears a prime cause of misses and near misses.

No passport needed. Corfu to Santorini is an easy ferry ride. She probably beat the ship there by hours.

Although in Europe you almost always have to provide a passport when booking a room.

The ship personnel would have likely entered her cabin and retrieved her passport and credit cards from the safe if available and left them with the port agent.

Not that I would ever want to miss a ship but if I did I would think Europe would be the easiest place to catch up to the ship in the next port.

Rochelle

Shawnino, it's not overkill for my comfort level.....60 minutes is not in my comfort zone. We tend to take private excursions and we always are returned to the dock so that we are on the ship at about 90 minutes before sailing. It works for us....

Last week we were in Corfu on the Celebrity Equinox and unfortunately saw the Jade sailing away with a female passenger left on the dock.

We saw her running past us just as the Jade was pulling away from the pier. She didn't seem too distraut but looking at the Jade's next port of Santorini you can't help but wonder how she caught up with the ship.

Hopefully she made it OK, there appeared to be someone from the port authority talking to her. She was just dressed in a bikini and cover up. Hopefully she had her credit card and lots of cash with her.

We always try and leave ourselves at least an hour leeway. Once we were on a really outstanding tour (privately booked) it was to be about a 5 hour one, but time got away from the guide. We got back (about 10 of us) just minutes before they were to sail. We learned to book private tours in the morning for starters.

It is like trying to make a flight,many of us have been left at the gate as they pull the jet bridge away.

The ship personnel would have likely entered her cabin and retrieved her passport and credit cards from the safe if available and left them with the port agent.

Has anyone actually experienced this? While I was on a Celerity cruise, someone asked the Captain about this and he replied they didn't open passenger safes because of the liability involved if something went missing.

Has anyone actually experienced this? While I was on a Celerity cruise, someone asked the Captain about this and he replied they didn't open passenger safes because of the liability involved if something went missing.

We haven't experienced this but have seen port officials holding passports waiting for passengers who had not turned up. So I would assume they retrieved it from their safe, unless it had been handed in at the beginning of the trip ( which we had not).

Interesting in how this is done -OR- NOT.

You have your stateroom card scanned (swiped) each time you come on board

and leave the ship.

So NCL knows if you are on the ship or not.

Comes time to weigh anchor and depart a port - you are known to NOT be on board.

You are paged several times over the ships intercom.

Who makes the decision to open the safe to check and see if your vital documents

are there to turn over to the port officials for your untimely return.

Who opens the safe - a master security locksmith ?

Now your passport and other documents are either there or not.

If not are they with you in this case your teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini

and bath cover up hopefully ?

If not how and who makes the decision to remove the passport and papers

from the safe and place them in care of the port officials.

BUT WAIT NCL did not scan your return to the ship and you didn't hear the

page - your documents are being removed off the ship "OH BOY BIG TIME TROUBLE" !

There is something wrong here - is there some other conclusion to this story ?

I am not seeing a "Paul Harvey" rest of the story "Living happily ever after"!

Incomplete situation - does not computer compute !

You are on the port dock - the ship is sailing away into the horizon - - -

You either have your documents or not.

Port officials may or may not have them.

The ship is sailing away.

I have heard of stories of a fast chartered boat taking you to your ship.

If that is not available maybe a pilot boat could do this ?

And then the dreaded all else has failed - finding other suitable transportation

to meet the ship at the next port of call or other intersection.

OK - readers - a WARNING DON'T SCREW AROUND AND MISS THE SHIP'S SAILING !

You are NOT going to like the consequences and the trouble you cause !

Don't be that person !

And I am still looking waiting for a conclusion to this scenario !

Did the cruiser in the bikini get a free ride to meet the ship ?

Who makes the decision to open the safe to check and see if your vital documents

are there to turn over to the port officials for your untimely return.

Who opens the safe - a master security locksmith ?

We were locked out of our safe once and the security folks sent one of their people to open it. While your room steward doesn't have a key or a way to open it, the security staff does. In our case there was a special tool they used to open it.

You don't have the same fourth amendment search and seizure rights regarding your personal effects as you do in the US while on the high seas or in a foreign port. No probable cause, and no warrants needed to search your cabin while you are away. Bermuda and the Bahamas have had local police boarding the ship and searching cabins while the passengers are on shore. Returning passengers who had marijuana or other drugs in their cabin are then arrested and taken off the boat. Usually a $1,000 to $2,000 fine puts things right and you are allowed to re-board.