Best thing you learned about HAL by reading CC

3rdGenCunarder

I'm always impressed by the collective knowledge of the posters here. And it got me thinking about all the clever tips I've learned. So what's the best/most helpful/most fun thing you learned about HAL because you read it on CC?

I think for me it's the Embarkation lunch, because this is the only place I've heard about it, even with 5 HAL cruises since they started doing it.

I think the policy has since changed, but the most helpful thing I learned on CC about HAL prior to my first HAL cruise was the ability to board with a bottle of wine from every port. It was a European cruise, so we enjoyed each sailaway on our veranda with a bottle of local wine purchased that day.

Which HAL ships to consider and which ones to pass on. Both based on age,condition, and our personal preferences.

Let's face, not all ships in any cruise line fit the bill for everyone....notwithstanding what the HAL cheerleaders espouse. Same goes for all the mass market cruise lines.

Plus...always book inside the final payment window because prices at the front end tend to be high.

Edited by iancal

Let's see...

Best: Aft Wrap Staterooms are the Penthouse for us:) Which Ships have them, which ships do not and which ones are the best for whichever type of cruising, i.e., Caribbean or Alaska.

And...... Meeting CC Members that you have cruised with and want to cruise with again and again and again:) They become like your extended family!!

Worst: Who a poster seems to be on CC and who they actually turn out to be face to face.

Most Fun: Discovering that a poster who you thought was a negative Nellie was actually someone whom you really want for a long term friendship:) FCOOUWRZ

Many many more under all 3, but think this will suffice for now:)

Joanie

Back to what I believe is the good intent of the OP....

I have picked up many excellent tips from other members of CC. Some seem very trivial but can make a huge difference to a cruise.... like the use of duct tape to keep drawers closed on a rocking and rolling ship.:eek: Wrapping lengths of said duct tape around a pencil to save room when packing (boy that really does work!). How much is reasonable to tip porters. Where to pick up various items in specific ports. The list goes on and on.

I have been fortunate to be part of some fantastic and helpful roll calls. Others not so much. It is what it is.

I have made many good friends through CC, who have also shared their depth of knowledge about cruising, which is way more than mine:).

I'm always impressed by the collective knowledge of the posters here. And it got me thinking about all the clever tips I've learned. So what's the best/most helpful/most fun thing you learned about HAL because you read it on CC?

I think for me it's the Embarkation lunch, because this is the only place I've heard about it, even with 5 HAL cruises since they started doing it.

The most helpful advice that I've received on this forum is the gentle persuasion and, sometimes, brutal honesty and information that I've received from a collection of "old time" cruise critic contributors. Special thanks are extended to Hank, Cruise Chic, Sail7Seas, and RuthC.

Am looking forward to my cruise much more after reading the comments on this forum than I was after reading only reviews - the reviews tend to bring out the negative points, and this forum as well as being more balanced reminds me that I am going to be sharing a ship with lots of people who love being on board a ship and whose main aim is to enjoy the experience.

For me the best part of CC is knowing when I post a question someone will take me seriously and respond. There is a lot of good information available and I enjoy hearing various perspectives on different subjects.

What I dislike is hearing people repeat their "gripes" several times via different postings.

reading other cruisers reviews and photos, and I luv the small details, nothing is to small , (especially the food reviews )-- and I luv it when people go really negative with there views, over the silly things--I know everybody has the right to vent if something bothers them , but :)

Edited by maxie99

what a nice idea for a thread :)

I have learned so much on CC over the years that the list is just endless.

Many thanks to those who do live threads. They are always enjoyable and there is always something to be learned in those ;)

Many things have been listed already, so I will simply add the discovery of roll calls and all the wonderful people I have met on cruises. The joy of private tours with our roll calls, get togethers, sail aways, the mentoring I have been kindly given on private tours and spread sheets.

and the absolute joy of sailing again with CC friends that we have come to know here and on board :)

Edited by kazu