First Time Cruiser and having anxiety...

hello all,

I finally made the decision to take my family on a cruise. I've almost backed out multiple times because of:

-Reading negative reviews

-paranoid mom who says i'm crazy to go on a cruise

I booked 6 night on the Navigator of the Seas, never been on a cruise before, my family and I (hubby and 2 kids age 6 and 4) have only done Disney so far 3 years straight and my husband is sick of it. I'm a very OCD/think too much person so I need help as to how to sort all of this cruise business out. This cruise will be special to me, because we are stopping by Labadee, and Haiti is where my parents are from and my first time going there :), and I want it to be great for all of us! So any help with answering or pointing me to previous posts are appreciated, I apologize if my questions are redundant.

-I tried to book the specialty restaurants online, how come my kids are being charged as adults?

-is bringing water onboard 100% acceptable, or basically a chance you take?

- my passport has my maiden name, my DL and booking info is my married name, should I have my passport updated? it will cost me over $100!

-it says there is a charge for coffee (seattle's best) and ice cream? so there is no coffee or ice cream anywhere onboard that is incuded in the fare?

-on formal nights, do the kids have to get all dolled up too?

-what's the best way to get from the airport FLL to the port? should i come a day earlier and stay at a hotel? what is better/more cost efficient? Can I take an uber to the port?

Thanks all!

hello all,

I finally made the decision to take my family on a cruise. I've almost backed out multiple times because of:

I booked 6 night on the Navigator of the Seas, never been on a cruise before, my family and I (hubby and 2 kids age 6 and 4) have only done Disney so far 3 years straight and my husband is sick of it. I'm a very OCD/think too much person so I need help as to how to sort all of this cruise business out. This cruise will be special to me, because we are stopping by Labadee, and Haiti is where my parents are from and my first time going there :), and I want it to be great for all of us! So any help with answering or pointing me to previous posts are appreciated, I apologize if my questions are redundant.

You won't be able to travel into Haiti. The RC area of Labadee is fenced off.

-I tried to book the specialty restaurants online, how come my kids are being charged as adults?
It's a snag in the online booking system. You will be refunded on board.

It is a chance that you take, but most people are successful at carrying on water bottles. IMO, you don't need bottled water. The ship purifies its own water supply. I take an EMPTY bottle and refill it as needed from the ship's water.

- my passport has my maiden name, my DL and booking info is my married name, should I have my passport updated? it will cost me over $100!

A passport is all you need. It can't hurt to carry your marriage certificate, if you are nervous. I recommend this, actually. But you SHOULD get an updated passport. :)

-it says there is a charge for coffee (seattle's best) and ice cream? so there is no coffee or ice cream anywhere onboard that is included in the fare?

Coffee is complimentary in the restaurants and Café Promenade. There is a charge for "specialty" coffees and for coffee in bars & lounges. Ice cream is served at dinner and lunch and softserve is available on the pool deck and in the Windjammer buffet. "Specialty" ice cream (Ben & Jerry's) is available for purchase on the Royal Promenade.

The dress 'code' suggestions are for all ages. But cruises are more and more casual. Fewer and fewer people "dress to the nines" on formal night. But it is nice if you all make an effort to look your best. :)

-what's the best way to get from the airport FLL to the port? should i come a day earlier and stay at a hotel? what is better/more cost efficient? Can I take an uber to the port?

The airport and cruise port are very close together. Taxis are the best way to go.

Experienced cruisers know that it is ALWAYS best to come in a day early and stay overnight in your port of embarkation. :)

I would call royal Caribbean and see what they suggest for your passport, I would personally update it but I travel a lot. You don't want to make the wrong decision and lose your vacation over $100, it's not worth it.

As far as the negative reviews, I would ignore them. Thousands of people cruise each week and you'll be lucky if four people write reviews. I read the reviews but I take them with a grain of salt. All the bad reviews on the cruises I went on have been false. I guess I'm easy to please.

You never hear from most of the happy cruisers because once the vacation is over it's back to real life and in the past. Most will not take time to write a review. I had an amazing time on my last cruise and didn't write one but I did have time to book another cruise.

I would arrive a day early as well if you can, less rushing and stress.

Have fun on your cruise.

A passport is all you need. It can't hurt to carry your marriage certificate, if you are nervous. I recommend this, actually. But you SHOULD get an updated passport. :)

I think OP said that her passport is in a different name to her booking (passport maiden name, booking married name) - that is going to be a problem.

I've always understood that if "booking name " does not match what's on the acceptable IDs then it's necessary to show an acceptable paper trail between them. DL isn't enough, you'd need (US) birth cert and/or naturalization cert, perhaps marriage cert or ....

In your case I would update your US passport for sure, no brainer and much simpler:)

Edited by pspercy

Just got home from 6 night Navigator of the Seas cruise. The cruise was great & the ship is beautiful. You can ignore the negative reviews. We did fly in 2 days early to avoid travel stress (we were coming from the west coast). We rented a car with a company that gives you a free ride to the port when you drop your car off the morning of the cruise. That worked out great & gave us a chance to explore Ft Lauderdale & adjust to the time zone difference before our cruise.

I advise you to ignore negative reviews. Navigator is our favorite ship which we have been on many times. The crew is so friendly and helpful. The ship is gorgeous. Since this is your first cruise, you might want to think about not booking a specialty restaurant, but give the complimentary dining venues a try. There is ice cream every lunch and dinner in the main dining room and every night in the buffet area called the Windjammer. Regular coffee is also complimentary at all dining venues and the Cafe Promenade which is open about 23 hours daily.

We got our passports renewed last year, and it took about 8 weeks. All I was told was that last names had to match. So, check w/ the cruiseline. If they allow your old passport and marriage license, stick a copy of it right in your passport along with your Set Sail pass you'll print out after final payment.

Ben and Jerry's ice cream is an additional fee, but you can get free ice cream in the main dining room. Specialty coffee costs extra, but you may decide to pony up, because their free stuff is horrible. The specialty coffee is no longer Seattle's best, I think they use a German brand now.

Bring about $100 singles for tipping. We tip for drinks, room service, porters, etc. Gets better service that way.

Don't worry about the negative reviews. Many of those negative reviews sign up at cruisecritic only to post those negative reviews. Often, they have few posts, and only that one review. You can click on the username to see how many reviews they've posted, then compare their other reviews to see if they are all negative, or just the one. Many are inexperienced cruisers, so they don't know complain about a lot of things the more experienced cruisers would overlook.

Another vote for a prenight. We also do post nights, so if the ship is late returning to port, we don't worry about missing our flight. It really helps w/ the stress, and these days the airlines are so unreliable.

Book flights for afternoon.

Don't worry about your parents. My mother-in-law thought we were crazy on our first cruise, absolutely nuts for our second cruise, and resigned to us cruising by the third.

We've had several cruises where our dining companions didn't dress up. If you have a grand suite or higher, you can get the full meal service in your suite.

Get cruise insurance! We got it for our very first cruise, and DH broke his hip so we had to cancel. The first cruise we took had the bus break down in the airport, and Royal Caribbean put us up in a suite, meal vouchers, and rebooked our air a few times.

Check to see if your hotel has a airport shuttle. We prefer the Renaissance that's across the street from the port. They'll also arrange shuttle to the port if you desire. The taxis are really annoying. They charge $30 to go a few miles.

Edited by knittinggirl

Since this is your first cruise, I suggest you hold off on booking specialty restaurants. You will still be able to book them onboard and you shouldn't have any issue getting reservations but you and family may find you enjoy the MDR experience so much, you won't want to skip any night, especially if you get a great wait staff.

If you don't update your passport, make sure you bring an embossed copy (original) of your marriage certificate. We had to do that years ago when we were newly married and wife's passport was not updated. I believe this is still a requirement. Best to call Royal Caribbean to make sure.

Tom

Edited by tsconley19

Or, just change the name on your booking to match your passport....that's the cheapest way!

You will have a great time - IF you get on the ship, which you won't if your booking name does not match your required ID! The marriage cert only works if you are NEWLY married. I have seen them turn people away at the port for this very reason. So yes, either match the passport to your booking name, or book in the name the matches your ID.

and with that you will have a great time!!

hello all,

-it says there is a charge for coffee (seattle's best) and ice cream? so there is no coffee or ice cream anywhere onboard that is incuded in the fare?

Thanks all!

Consider all reviews (positive and negative) the opinion of the poster. Don't set your expectations high. Go on your Cruise and decide for yourself. I'll bet you'll enjoy your Cruise and be hooked on Cruising like most that have Cruised and that post on CC.

Any trip is nerve wracking the first time - that is why I love cruising - it makes it soo easy - food, entertainment & your room all right there!

With kids 6 & 4 I would suggest rethinking the specialty restaurants. We find dinner in the main dining room to be as long as our son wants to sit. Sometimes he'd rather do the buffet. I find the specialty dining restaurants are more suited for couples.

We always fly in the night before and then take a cab to the port about 10:30am. Make sure you pack swimsuits in the bags you carryon so the kids can swim. You won't get your bags until late afternoon.

As everyone else has said - ignore the reviews. What one person likes someone else doesn't. You have to experience cruising to decide if you like it.

We absolutely love cruising I hope you do too.

I did say that I recommend taking her marriage certificate. :)

I think that works in the case of newlyweds. Not people who have been married long enough to have a 6 and a 4 year old. In this case, I'd think that the names need to match.

Be safe. Spend the $100 to get a new one in your married name. You're already spending a lot on the cruise. It would suck to not be able to go because you didn't want to spend $100.

Pretty sure, especially with the current situation with border control, immigration and other un savoury situations I would ensure that both booking forms and identification documents match. Better safe than sorry, you don't need the potential extra hassle on a first time cruise.

Agree with everyone else, ignore the negative comments from anyone about everything. Go and make up your own mind, so many people always look for the things to moan about instead of just going with the flow and actually enjoying themselves.

hello all,

-I tried to book the specialty restaurants online, how come my kids are being charged as adults? because that is how the website is set up. Unsolicited opinion: 4 and 6 are WAAAAYYYY too young to appreciate any specialty dining and your fellow diners will NOT take kindly to a pair of fussy kids disturbing their experience.

-is bringing water onboard 100% acceptable, or basically a chance you take? 99.98% of th epitome it is no problem at all., only during Spring break do they clamp down.

- my passport has my maiden name, my DL and booking info is my married name, should I have my passport updated? it will cost me over $100! YES.

-it says there is a charge for coffee (seattle's best) and ice cream? so there is no coffee or ice cream anywhere onboard that is incuded in the fare? they define coffee and ice cream here as specialty( lattes, cappuccinos, mochas, anything with booze, and hard scoop/sundaes. the 'included' stuff is available at the dining venues( MDR, Buffet, Poolside) MDR always has at least 2-3 flavors for dessert at dinner and the pool deck has soft serve usually starting at 11 am or so. plain coffee, hot water for tea and hot cocoa are available 24/7.

-on formal nights, do the kids have to get all dolled up too? to teach them that sometimes they have to dress up, yes. to have everyone look nice in the pictures, yes. to abide by the suggested dress attire because it is polite, yes.

-what's the best way to get from the airport FLL to the port? should i come a day earlier and stay at a hotel? what is better/more cost efficient? Can I take an uber to the port? ABSOLUTELY come in a day early. I personally am extremely hesitant to use Uber or any of those services and much prefer to use a well established Taxi or car service. strictly personal choice as to where you stay the night, the departure port forums tend to have lots of recommendations

Thanks all!

if you do insist on bringing the kids to a specialty, you need to have pricing adjusted to the kids pricing when you dine. it will be returned as On Board Credit. keep in mind that specialty dining is a good 2-3 hours long and most people who book it do so for a nice quiet romantic evening and do NOT wish to be disturbed by children just being kids. send them to the kids club or spring for babysitting if that is an option on your ship.

First and foremost, I'd clear up the passport by renewing. Better safe than sorry. Navigator is a fabulous ship. We loved it and I didn't write a review. I've found you have to take the reviews with a grain of salt. Loved the ship and our waitstaff was FABULOUS. We've never felt the need to go to the specialty restaurants. If you have a 4 and 6 year old, the MDR staff will go to extraordinary lengths to take care of them and keep them amused. My experience has been that they are treated like royalty. Labadee is a private area. You aren't going to be able to go visit any part of the island other than the part where the cruise line has cordoned off. We've never had a problem taking a modest amount of bottled water onboard, but we've also found that the water on the ship if great and in recent years, we've stopped taking water with us. We love all the activities on the ship and the shows. Ice cream is available in the MDR at lunch and dinner and there is a soft serve on the pool deck. These are free. They SELL Ben and Jerry's in the Promenade. I LOVE Seattle's best and the coffee available in the dining room, Windjammer, Promenade cafe AND room service are all free. If you are a Starbucks addict, you'll have to pay for it or the specialty coffee. Don't worry...we've always had SOMEONE tell us we were nuts for going on a cruise. We've never regretted a single cruise we've taken. The only thing we regret is that we can't cruise more often. :D

if you do insist on bringing the kids to a specialty, you need to have pricing adjusted to the kids pricing when you dine. it will be returned as On Board Credit. keep in mind that specialty dining is a good 2-3 hours long and most people who book it do so for a nice quiet romantic evening and do NOT wish to be disturbed by children just being kids. send them to the kids club or spring for babysitting if that is an option on your ship.

While this may be true of others wanting a quiet romantic meal. The poster has every right to dine with children in the specialty restaurants as they are permitted to dine in there as well. I personally would not take my children in a specialty restaurant if they couldn't behave in a formal dinning setting, but my children who are 3 and 5 could.

Specialty dining can be done with kids. Get an early reservation for 5:30 or for as soon as they open. You can get desert to go if the kids are getting restless. You can complete your meal in an hour and a bit. Your waiter should know to express your meal but you can ask for it to be done. If you have a small electronic device to keep them distracted it also helps if they are bored.

We took our DS for his first time at 6 and these tricks worked for us. The ship might also have evening kids club programs with dinner provided so you might want to investigate that as well. You might need some couple time without the kids so dinner out would be nice.

You know your own kids better than anyone on CC so go with what works with them. The days of quiet and intimate specialty dining are a thing of the past when they were purposely at half capacity. Now the cruise line want them to be fully booked and tables sitting within inches to a few feet from one another. As for "romantic meals", from our experiences, we have had more meals disrupted by loud and possibly inebriated adults than unhappy kids.