Falmouth Jamaica

Thesandman12

I have heard the port in Jamaica, Falmouth is quite homophobic and it is dangerous to get off the ship. Some have said if a person is gay do not get off or take any of the excursions offered by the ship, any thoughts or opinions, recommendations?

Why wouldn't a ships' excursion be safe? I don't know if there is a problem or not in this port, but just because people of the same sex travel together doesn't make them gay. As long as there aren't any signs of attraction like hand holding or kissing, how would anyone know?

I was in Falmouth last November and despite the warnings, I went outside the secure area by myself while my husband stayed on the ship. I found the people to be friendly and not threatening. They can be a little aggressive, but they are just trying to make a living.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=75&f=162

I would check this area on CC - they might be able to help you. You would be fine inside the port of Falmouth but I wouldn't go outside it , gay or straight, without being on a ship excursion. It's pretty rough.

You are so right. Unless my wife & I are on a tour we stay inside the port area. I have seen some adventurous souls simply walking around downtown Falmouth (usually younger passengers), but I never would. It is pretty rough as you say.

We usually go for the inexpensive $20 massages inside the port area.

How will anyone know which sex you prefer, if you don't tell them, or show them? You have no worries! It's as safe as anywhere else....especially on excursions!

Jamaica is a POOR country, and the folks will try and sell you whatever they can....but all you have to do is say "No, thanks".....

Falmouth isn't the prettiest town, but its far from dangerous. There is a very strong police presence and I never once felt threatened. Some people seem to find the aggressive sales pitches as "dangerous" but everyone is just trying to make a living and generally friendly. That being said, the LGBT community isn't looked on very kindly in the country. As many have said, if you don't tell anyone, how would they know? But if you don't want to chance it, stay in port. There are plenty of vendors and Margaritaville is nice. Or just enjoy another day on the ship.

We just did the Heritage Walking Tour there that you can book through the ship. We felt safe with the two guides that we had. One is in the front and one at the back to make sure everyone is together and safe. You get a taste of what the local life is like and a lot of history and learn about the architecture of the older buildings.

We did see lots of brave souls that went out on their own to explore. Some even hired locals to take them on their own little walking tour. But believe me, it was not of the same caliber as ours.

I personally would not venture out of the port area by myself, no matter who I was. I don't think you would have a problem with a group tour.

I'm going to agree (for probably the only time) with the poster who asked how they will know?

Unless you're being obviously affectionate with your SO, or shouting it at the top of your lungs, or dressing the part (ie: wearing t-shirts with obviously gay statements and/or the Pride flag on them), it's not like your sexuality is stamped on your head. (And I'm not poking fun - I'm a lesbian myself. :) )

I would.

I have.

:)

Me too, and as a solo cruiser. Spent a lovely day in Mo-Bay, just me. Met some great locals and fellow passengers along the way. Lived to tell about it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I can't speak to how homophobic the Jamaican people are.

Confused. How would anyone know someone was gay or straight just by looking at them? BTW, I went on a non-ship excursion from Falmouth to Montego Bay last year & I'm still alive. It's perfectly fine to travel outside the port area. I actually thought Falmouth was nicer/less scary than other places I've been. I guess it's your frame of reference

The first time we went to Jamaica, we went to Dunns River Falls. At the end is this nasty shopping area that is totally unsafe. After we declined to buy anything, the shop keepers kept asking if my husband and I were brothers. It was asked in a threatening tone. The last time we were on a ship that went there, we only got off to get a t-shirt in the small area of shops immediately by the ship, then went back on the ship.

Why spend money in such a hate-filled place? Stay on the ship and get a massage. Let the Jamaicans figure something out for themselves, but don't spend your money there.

You know, obviously this is a personal decision. I think we need to remember that everyone is different and has their own level of comfort when visiting a place they have never been to before. What is comfortable for one person may make another extremely nervous and anxious. You can be nervous and anxious in New York City, Boston, Paris, Falmouth, or your own home town. I feel we should give a little grace here and respect one another's comfort zone. :)

You know, obviously this is a personal decision. I think we need to remember that everyone is different and has their own level of comfort when visiting a place they have never been to before. What is comfortable for one person may make another extremely nervous and anxious. You can be nervous and anxious in New York City, Boston, Paris, Falmouth, or your own home town. I feel we should give a little grace here and respect one another's comfort zone. :)

Yes, but some individual "feeling" unsafe doesn't make it unsafe.

Every single person that gave the standard Jamaica bashing answer about staying on the ship has had a violent incident happen in their community but do not consider their community unsafe. :)

Yes, but some individual "feeling" unsafe doesn't make it unsafe.

Every single person that gave the standard Jamaica bashing answer about staying on the ship has had a violent incident happen in their community but do not consider their community unsafe. :)

If you have never felt threatened, then you are very fortunate.

How would anyone know you were gay ? - unless you wore a shirt advertising it. While I would not walk into the town itself by myself - our last time in Falmouth - my husband and I walked together. We saw a police officer and asked her for a recommendation for a restaurant that was walking distance. And she directed us. Someone who who was standing near her said he's take us there - the police officer who obviously knew this person said it was safe to go with him. We got a brief history as he walked with us us... and then we game him a tip. And the food and beer we had was great. On our way back many wanted to sell us shirts, magnets, cold water, fruit... We said no to everyone and walked back to the ship.

PS - I left all of my jewelry in our stateroom when we went out.

If you have never felt threatened, then you are very fortunate.

I have been through the same shopping area at the end of DRF as you have and there was one guy who was kind of a pain but I never felt threatened by anyone there. They are just trying to sell you their trinkets and beads.

My point is that just because a person has a fear or feeling does not mean it is always something that everyone should fear. For example, I may feel scared that a snake is going to bite me even though it is more scared of me and would never bite me. Of course I say "don't go in there because there are snakes that will bite you" while another person says "those kind of snakes don"t bite people and you have nothing to fear"

Some people will choose to always believe one side of that story while others choose the opposite side and cannot be convinced otherwise.

I will end with: define safe and tell exactly where that exists on a full time basis :)

I have been through the same shopping area at the end of DRF as you have and there was one guy who was kind of a pain but I never felt threatened by anyone there. They are just trying to sell you their trinkets and beads.

My point is that just because a person has a fear or feeling does not mean it is always something that everyone should fear. For example, I may feel scared that a snake is going to bite me even though it is more scared of me and would never bite me. Of course I say "don't go in there because there are snakes that will bite you" while another person says "those kind of snakes don"t bite people and you have nothing to fear"

Some people will choose to always believe one side of that story while others choose the opposite side and cannot be convinced otherwise.

I will end with: define safe and tell exactly where that exists on a full time basis :)

No place is safe "on a full time basis", but some have lots of history to help people make informed decisions. This is not "Jamaica bashing". The question was asked about homophobia in Jamaica and I shared my experience. Should one not answer at all, because answering is only one person's opinion and experience, and not representative of everyone's opinion and experience? As experienced LGBT travelers, we have only ever felt unsafe in Jamaica.

I have gotten off many times in Falmouth. I walk around in the town. It is very run down and sales people are aggressive. Never bought anything. Never saw anything worth purchasing. I always hope I will find real art, not imported stuff that they try to convince you they made. The police are everywhere. While not a good sign, I have never actually heard of anyone having a problem.

Get off the ship and walk the inner port area. Find some time to read the panels just before you get to the gate to town. The history is really interesting! The port area is totally safe. You can see the town and gate so you can't wonder into a problem. It is clear when you are leaving the port area

Edited by dasi11

We've been to most Caribbean ports and felt that Falmouth was the worst of all with people really being extremely rude, trying to rip us off, etc. Will never go outside cruiseport gate again there.

We walked through town a bit and bartered for two coconuts for a certain price. When we went to pay, the seller told us that it was more than that. Completely lying to us.

Then when we looked at something at one of their local stalls, they were completely nasty to us when we said we didn't want to buy it.

Didn't encounter many friendly smiles at all.

Like a handful of other islands in the Caribbean, Jamaica is overall poor, deeply religious and has a quite corrupt government. The perfect recipe for ignorance including homophobia to run rampant. However, like anywhere else in the world, a lot of the population are decent hard-working people without the issues of many. We have met some truly lovely people there.

My husband and I have been to the port of Falmouth twice and both times booked private tours to Irie Blue Hole as it is quite spectacular. I am not going to another country and staying locked in a cruise ship compound designed only to separate tourists from their money. I am going to experience the places I go, meet the people, taste the food and in general develop a broader world view. Otherwise, may as well stay home.

I have heard the port in Jamaica, Falmouth is quite homophobic and it is dangerous to get off the ship. Some have said if a person is gay do not get off or take any of the excursions offered by the ship, any thoughts or opinions, recommendations?

Jamaica in general is not a place I would wander around like I would say St Maarten, St Kitts or St Thomas. The one time we were in Falmouth we did a ship sponsored tour to Red Stripe Beach and had a great time. As far as being gay goes, unless a person is carrying a sign, how would anyone know if someone was gay? Kinda sounds like a weird concern to me.

Edited by nbsjcruiser