My final on board bill was charged twice!

It's not incumbent; it's a choice. You can choose to be a jerk, and you'll find people reacting in kind. You can choose to show respect, and you'll find people reacting in kind. We all have that choice.

Of course, sometimes people will be kind and respectful to you, even if you're a jerk toward them, and vice versa. But, on average, the law of "what's goes around comes around" holds true.

Exactly.

It's the same OP that literally was on Oasis for 2 hours and came on here to say they weren't impressed. They didn't do it kindly, either.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

This kind of crap is another reason why I use only 1 bank card for onboard billing and keep other cards separate while on a cruise.

Fortunately your issue has been resolved expeditiously by your bank and RC is aware of the issue and will provide a resolution.

If by your own admission you use a separate bank cards on a cruise, why was the suggestion to use a credit card vs a bank card so offense? It is obvious that you feel there is some sort of problem with billing or something else when cruising that you feel the need to use different cards. Seems that using a cc is just an added level of protection for any potential issue that may arise (or you perceive may arise).

Either way like you said you can use any card you want.

Just woke up this morning to find I was double billed almost 1000.00 for my cruise last week. I'm not talking a hold or pending charge. They charged my account twice the same exact amount.

Of course RC offices aren't open right now.

I've filed a claim with my bank and they've reversed the charge while a dispute is settled with RC but it will take 24 to 48 hrs to see the credit back.

This kind of crap is another reason why I use only 1 bank card for onboard billing and keep other cards separate while on a cruise.

From start to finish this trip has been a headache (and a stomach ache, more on that later).

Will be doing a review when my probable food poisoning settles down and after this billing mess is fixed.

Never again Oasis of the Seas.

It has been the experience of many, using a debit card, my children included. They will charge you double until the full amount has cleared, and the other amount will be credited back to your account. Like when you use a credit/debit card at the gas station. They hold a larger amount than what you put in your tank. Security in payment. It's not cool, but happens more than you think...

It has been the experience of many, using a debit card, my children included. They will charge you double until the full amount has cleared, and the other amount will be credited back to your account. Like when you use a credit/debit card at the gas station. They hold a larger amount than what you put in your tank. Security in payment. It's not cool, but happens more than you think...

In all my years I have never had this experience, and I know from working in the banking and finance world that this is not common practice. Matter of fact, every time I get gas using my debit card, the hold is simply $1 until the following day, or two...when the total amount I put into my tank comes out of my account.

I thought I would add a bit of credit/debit card processing knowledge. Typically, double billings occur from the processor that the merchant uses, not the merchant themselves. That is almost 100% if it is more than one person. In addition, those are generally caught quickly and they systemically send to the acquiring banks the refund. It is possible if you waited a few days it would have cleared up. I know that doesn't make you feel better, I would have called as well.

While it sounds like you have other complaints from this cruise, I'm not sure the double billing was in RCI's fault. Not your fault either.

It is up to the individual whether they use a debit vs. credit card. Credit cards do have additional protections and the benefit of any erroneous billing being just a "charge" vs. cash being removed from a banking account. But if the individual is able to absorb from a specific checking account, it is their call and risk. I have taken that risk many times in my life, but personally prefer a credit card for the other chargeback rights that they afford me vs. debit.

Just read all of the posts to this thread. I sit here and keep asking myself, "Why can't all posters be like cleaea/aka Bob?" Never an angry word,

always helpful information, appears to also be accurate information, always willing to help.

I am still blown away by the anger and rudeness expressed by OP. Don't understand why direct attacks on posters just trying to make intelligent responses. Maybe it is not for me to understand.

I do not believe in airing my issues on public forums. Throughout our travel history and cruising in particular we have had issues. I always went diretly to the person in charge, for example Officer in Charge of Housekeeping, Director of Guest Services, Head of Food and Bev., Hotel Director. Why would I want to share my issues? I will only recommend that if you have an issue, you go to the person who can solve the issue and get it resolved. You may be surprised and pleased with the results.

Happy Sails To All

It's not incumbent; it's a choice. You can choose to be a jerk, and you'll find people reacting in kind. You can choose to show respect, and you'll find people reacting in kind. We all have that choice.

Of course, sometimes people will be kind and respectful to you, even if you're a jerk toward them, and vice versa. But, on average, the law of "what's goes around comes around" holds true.

Read post #2 and tell me that is "kind and respectful". And how about "Since your career is in customer service, maybe you could apply those principles here and treat people a little more respectfully. Just a suggestion...

Judy" from the post I quoted? Respectful? Kind? Hardly.

Read post #2 and tell me that is "kind and respectful". And how about "Since your career is in customer service, maybe you could apply those principles here and treat people a little more respectfully. Just a suggestion...

I just went back and read POST #2 as you suggested. I find nothing wrong with that post and agree with it 100% based on horror stories I have heard from folks with debit cards who had their accounts wiped out and also on advice from lawyers. Was advised not to have debit card only credit cards. I want to control what goes into and comes out of my account no matter how much is in the account.

I see no reason to be rude, crude and nasty on these CC boards. Uncalled for.

I don't have any problem with Post #2. It was someone expressing an opinion that "that's why you don't use a debit card..." It was simply advice, which can be heeded or ignored, but isn't inherently rude.

The other one was a good example of exactly the point I was trying to make. If you are being a jerk, others might be a jerk back to you. Though that post was more just suggesting that the OP try to be nicer, which in my opinion was a good suggestion.

My take is that the OP was ticked off at Royal Caribbean and willing to take it out on anyone here who didn't have enough sympathy for him. He even contradicted himself at one point, being mad because it was going to take 24 to 48 hours to get his money credited back, then defending the debit card issue by saying the bank credited it right away, so he already had the money. He was just lashing out and didn't want to here reason.

Edited by Paul65

The one thing that boggles my mind is why, after all the "hacking" and possible mistakes that can occur, do people continue to utilize Debit Cards as opposed to Credit Cards for purchases like this :confused:

Not being snarky - I honestly don't understand why people use debit cards. Just use a credit card and pay it off each month.

Edited by mek

Exactly.

It's the same OP that literally was on Oasis for 2 hours and came on here to say they weren't impressed. They didn't do it kindly, either.

Like oftheseacruiser said this is the same op that started the cruise off this way. They had a chip on their shoulder from the beginning or they've just been in a bad mood for the 40 years!! :D:D

"First impressions: way too crowded. Bar tenders not friendly despite extra tips and compliments on well made drinks. Cabin is the smallest balcony we have ever had. Closet and storage space minuscule. Diamond welcome gift is a plastic bag of nuts. Nothing other than a shampoo dispenser in the bath and no robes. No ice bucket and "cooler" (fridge) too small to store a wine bottle. Walls are paper thin and neighbors are LOUD. Kids running everywhere and banging on our door.

We're determined to have a good time anyway.

Just the facts, you decide. "

And I think most of us have decided.....Kinda hard to believe you were in customer service, just say n!

Like others have said, Hope you have a good day and someone gives you a nice hug :o

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2358632

Not being snarky - I honestly don't understand why people use debit cards. Just use a credit card and pay it off each month.

I occasionally use a debit card, but normally it's just because I want some cash, and I'm at a store where I can use it to pay and get cash back. I don't mind that kind of use, especially since I'm swiping it myself and not handing it over to anyone. Pretty much all other times, I use a credit card.

Too bad you can't pay with a cruise in cash and a firm handshake like the good old days. Society has gone way downhill in the last 60 years, I agree.

It has been a long long time since a handshake sealed a deal, and that is because of people who 'reneged' on the deal from the consumer side.

You can still pay with cash....use a local travel agent, walk into their store and hand them cash. No one is stopping you. I have heard of people having cash accounts with their sea pass....but they put the cash 'up front' and then have to add more when the balance is worked down.

But consumers over time, have been responsible for the change in how we do business locally and globally.

Society has changed, 'gone way downhill' probably many differences of opinion on that.

Maybe I didn't convey that point in my original post, but I agree totally....NEVER use a Debit Card that is attached to your checking account for purchases like this, a Credit Card is the only way to go

Edited by First and Ten

We were also on the 5/21/16 Oasis cruise and our credit card was also double charged for onboard account balance. We also called RCCL Customer Service and were told "everybody's account was double charged and it should be cleared up by Wednesday afternoon". Guess what... it was cleared up before then!

This was our 5th Oasis cruise and other than that here's what we thought:

1. Entertainment we saw was outstanding.

2. Diamond Concierge Dudley not so outstanding...no decaffeinated coffee for specialty coffee machine and no note advising us that the machine only had regular coffee. Only found out when someone saw him pouring coffee beans from the same bag into both coffee supply chutes. Not an issue for most cruisers but for some of us with medical issues NOT a good thing. When we asked him about this the answer was something to the effect that that's all they have. Went to guest relations and only then were we told we could get free specialty coffees with our Diamond Plus cards at the coffee bar next to guest relations. It would have been nice for Dudley to be aware of this and pass it on!

3. MDR service was not the usual level of competency. Too many trainees making too many mistakes...Since we were seated next to one of the work stations we could overhear our waiter's numerous frustrations with his ass't waiter and it definitely affected our meals. We had to go to our Head Waiter to get this improved. This by itself is not a big deal, but, we had the same type of experience on the Jewel on the 4/28/16 transatlantic which we had just completed the week before. Yes we understand that a lot of staff were transferred to accommodate the Harmony but clearly RCCL needs to provide some more training there.

4. Sorry to say but Windjammer food selection and quality continues to decline. Would like to see "tuna salad", "chicken salad", etc. NOT chicken spread...whatever that is. Hamburgers were grainy and quality of hot dogs provided there has really declined in last year or so. Please note that the hot dogs available in the Boardwalk Dog House were much better quality and tasted much better also.

This was our 40th RCCL cruise and these changes are real. Since we enjoy cruising and still feel strongly that RCCL and Celebrity provide the best overall cruise experiences while giving the most back to their C&A members we will continue to cruise these lines.

Maybe I didn't convey that point in my original post, but I agree totally....NEVER use a Debit Card that is attached to your checking account for purchases like this, a Credit Card is the only way to go

Yes you did. My question was about the use of debit cards for anything - perhaps most people don't keep much $ in their accounts so they don't run the risk of having a lot taken out if someone gets hold of their card or number. I'm personally not comfortable with debit cards.

Crusinfanatic, Blah blah blah, at least you got another hit on your posts.

Seems you've already made up your mind about what I'm going to say, too.

These boards are to voice opinions and to share information.

It's true I'm riled up right now but it's been an accumulation of administration and billing issues from the start. Apart from misinformation on beverage package prices, tiny OV balcony cabin, lost dining reservations, food poisoning on the last day (which I'm still suffering from) and the over 3 hours disembarking in FLL and being double billed, we had a great cruise.

The ship is beautiful. We had a fantastic wine pairing experience in 150 Central Park. Our waiter Ravi and his asst. in the MDR could not have been better. And our room steward Ricki was perfect.

DH had fun on the Flow Rider and Zip Line. Diamond lounge was nice, great cosmos and not too crowded at all on the 2 occasions we went there. DL Concierge Dudley was very sweet and helpful (he also got sick).

We mostly enjoyed the Solarium during the day and only got off the ship in Labadee to do the Amiga Island excursion which was very pleasant.

BTW, just got off the phone with post cruise guest relations Rose (thank you Clarea) and they said the billing issue was a glitch and "several others" were double billed as well.

so really, you don't have a problem with mine

Edited by cruisinfanatic