question about dishes

laurieb

Room Service doesn't use paper plates either.

Actually, maybe not entirely true. Room service will use paper plates and even paper bowls IF as I was once, you are quarantined to your room for an illness. And those paper items are beautify arranged on top of one of those red bio-hazard bags made infamous by the Triumph incident.

I have read in the past that Carnival uses paper plates; is this true? Specifically looking at a short cruise on the Imagination. Thanks for any input you can give me!!

It was not the case for my cruise ... but, they use plastic (melamine) around the buffet ... otherwise in the dining rooms everything is proper porcelain etc ...

and I mentioned it in my review (but this forum is so from the late 90s it's really hard to find where I really posted it!) :D ps- not a big fan of melamine ... ;)

https://imaginairie.wordpress.com/2016/06/30/on-board-the-carnival-funship-fascination-is-like-living-with-aladdins-lamp/

It was not the case for my cruise ... but, they use plastic (melamine) around the buffet ... otherwise in the dining rooms everything is proper porcelain etc ...

and I mentioned it in my review (but this forum is so from the late 90s it's really hard to find where I really posted it!) :D ps- not a big fan of melamine ... ;)

https://imaginairie.wordpress.com/2016/06/30/on-board-the-carnival-funship-fascination-is-like-living-with-aladdins-lamp/

I for one am very happy to have melamine or whatever the material is around the buffet. People are carrying that food around the pool areas. If they were china, porcelain, stoneware, or the like there would be many problems with broken pieces that could cut people's feet. I mean I always seem to hear crashes from dropped plates in the buffet area. I believe this is a safety issue.

I for one am very happy to have melamine or whatever the material is around the buffet. People are carrying that food around the pool areas. If they were china, porcelain, stoneware, or the like there would be many problems with broken pieces that could cut people's feet. I mean I always seem to hear crashes from dropped plates in the buffet area. I believe this is a safety issue.

Exactly :) That's why I said in my cruise review ".....but the reasoning behind is understandable" ;)

Actually, maybe not entirely true. Room service will use paper plates and even paper bowls IF as I was once, you are quarantined to your room for an illness. And those paper items are beautify arranged on top of one of those red bio-hazard bags made infamous by the Triumph incident.

Thinking on it.......

They use paper and single use plastic utensils when serving kosher meals. (Too long an explanation to type out in my phone).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

Thinking on it.......

They use paper and single use plastic utensils when serving kosher meals. (Too long an explanation to type out in my phone).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Ahh...but I bet they are not served on those stylish bio-hazard bags....But I get why without all the typing.....

Regarding paper plates, on a different cruise line due to an extended time in port an on generator power the line did use paper products instead of washing extra dishes. They were saving the water from the desalination for passengers & laundry. Only had paper for breakfast and some venues for lunch.

I have read in the past that Carnival uses paper plates; is this true? Specifically looking at a short cruise on the Imagination. Thanks for any input you can give me!!

Wherever you read that, it was probably from someone who has never sailed on Carnival but "heard"--------

In the long run-- paper plates, napkins, plastic ware & other disposable utensils would cost more than washing the real dishes. Adding all that waste to an already crowded area would make the cost even higher. Yes, they might use disposable for the quarantined passengers for health reasons, but not for the general passenger population.

Wait for it. Monday morning John Heald will mention someone e-mailing him about Carnival using paper plates, and he will ask if that would bother you on a cruise. And all of his followers will be up in arms about people spreading heinous rumors and besmirching the Carnival brand....

Wow... I was wondering where I got two different "prints" of ships.

That makes so much sense, they must have stopped sometime around 2006 though...

Yes, the last time I remember getting those ship printed place mats was in 2006 on the Conquest. Nothing since, as I recall. :(