in port - but you decide to stay on ship - what's there to do?

4spring

On past cruises, I've always gotten off the ship when its in port. this time around I might opt to stay on board. Just curious, what are some things people enjoy doing while staying onboard? are pools open? what about dining options? other activities? TIA

Have done this several times. Granted, I'm not much of a sightseeing person and cruise to relax. This might change in a couple of weeks when I retire, but I am blissfully happy with a lounge in the solarium, a trashy novel and a frozen drink. No noise, no crowds, heaven.

Pool areas are much quieter. We do the solarium. But the bar there is not always open on port days. No MDR lunch usually, so we find other venues to eat if we don't want to do the WJ. Johnny Rockets often opens about 2:00 so we may do a late lunch there when it is not too crowded. Basically its a nice break from the crowds...

There were a few activities, like beanbag toss, but nothing major. Activities that happen at the same time every day (like trivia) still happen. Limited time activities like the rock wall and flow rider are closed.

I have seen where the spa also offers some port day specials.

In my own experience, MDR is not open for lunch, but windjammer always is. The other eating venues, including specialty dining are usually open. Check the cruise compass as to what is open.

Seldom get off ship at ports we have visited previoulsy. Love my day on the ship without being pushed, shoved, bumped...just go my merry way and enjoy the space.

Sometimes even put on bathing suit and go to adult pool area. Would never think of doing this on a sea day. As has been said lots of space for dining in peace and quiet. Sometimes just enjoy the view from our balcony.

Try it, you may like it.

There were quite a few people who stayed on board the ship on our last cruise on the Allure. I enjoyed sitting on my balcony until the Liberty came in and docked right across from us and then it wasn't very private so I headed up to the Solarium which was quiet. An advantage is the WJ is not crowded at peak times and the Park Ave Cafe was also quiet. Central Park was a nice place to sit and read. I don't remember what activities were in the Compass, but I'm sure there were a few one could do.

On past cruises, I've always gotten off the ship when its in port. this time around I might opt to stay on board. Just curious, what are some things people enjoy doing while staying onboard? are pools open? what about dining options? other activities? TIA

Watch the cruise compass and the CD's morning show. You might also find spa specials. I normally consider the spa prices too high, but on May 2nd 2011 we were on Allure for our 30th anniversary, the ship was in Nassau and we stayed on board. We walked to the spa and got a couple's massage for about 30% off what it was on embarkation day. On embarkation day they will tell you there are no better offers, but frequently it isn't true.

That's what we do most of the time. Look outside, take a picture of the land. Then head to the pool and hottubs. That's generally when we can get a nice spot and it's very quiet. We lay out most of the day and enjoy the pool. Then in the afternoon when everyone comes back we leave.

Same here. Then we get a good seat above the gangway and watch the pier runners for entertainment.

I seldom get off anymore. Food on board is included and booze if you have a package. Seen way too many Diamonds Internationals and the drinks and food at Senor Frog's / Margaritaville (etc.) have become outrageous. Plus I don't think they put and marg in the rita :D I cruise for the view. MSC Divina in 15 days :D

We've stayed onboard several times and have also come back early in other ports. We look for a quiet place in the shade to read and relax. Falmouth is one of the ports that we sometimes don't get off and if we do, we're back on by lunchtime. There are some who never get off, usually older people with major mobility issues or those who have been to the ports many times and just like being on the ship.

To us, staying onboard isn't about what there is to do, but about how we can relax.

Edited by BND

Seldom get off ship at ports we have visited previoulsy. Love my day on the ship without being pushed, shoved, bumped...just go my merry way and enjoy the space.

Sometimes even put on bathing suit and go to adult pool area. Would never think of doing this on a sea day. As has been said lots of space for dining in peace and quiet. Sometimes just enjoy the view from our balcony.

Try it, you may like it.

Wow, I've never been pushed and shoved on a cruise ship. Not counting the DW, of course.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app