Bring your own?

Tm100

What types of things do you bring for a touch of home comfort on your cruise? We don't like the towels, so we brin our own fluffy towels. We also bring our own plush toilet paper, soap, and water. I don't know how people use the ships thin toilet paper!

I realllllly hope this is a satire post.

I haven't cruised before so I don't know on a cruise. To other places I bring shampoo, body wash and conditioner. I sometimes bring toilet paper if I know the TP is thin and uncomfortable such as in Belize. I always bring my battery operated toothbrush.

I also bring my "My Pillow" smashed flat in a one way valve travel bag. I have purchased the internet package for my very first cruise because the idea of not being available to my four children and my 5 grandchildren is just plain scary. Maybe that will change. I am, after all, spending their inheritance on silly cruises.

For Europe, I take very little in the way of comforts of home. But I have fount the smell of vanilla often brings me back as I burn vanilla candles at home.

Smell is the sense most closely related to memory.

Don't think that spending your money on cruises that I'm sure you will love is silly! I don't keep in touch except for phone call before I board and when I get to the airport on the way back. Enjoy the break . I am of the generation that doesn't feel the need to be in constant touch with everyone. Can't believe the people who can't even grocery shop without a phone glued to their ear.

I bring my own conditioner and shampoo because I am very allergic to most. That is my comfort (lol) not being sick on a cruise.

I used to bring my own pillow because I have a very bad neck and one day on a bad pillow equates to major migraines and other problems. I recently found a memory foam neck pillow (used for airplane travel) and I can use it on the plane (doesn't count as anything extra for baggage) and then I have my little prop for my neck while cruising (in case the pillows suck).

Other than that I bring books (ebooks). Reading and walking are my comfort things so a good pair of sneakers is a comfort from home too.

We're only gone 7-10 days so there's no need to make it feel like home. I'm on vacation and embrace the differences. Now, if I was on a 3 month world cruise, I might think of some things I would need to make the cabin more comfy. That's not happening anytime soon so I don't have to worry. :)

DITTO!! Even on our cruises of 28 days and 33 days we've never brought anything to make it feel like home since we're only in the cabin to sleep.

I'd be concerned about bringing toilet paper since the kind we use at home might clog ship's plumbing.

What types of things do you bring for a touch of home comfort on your cruise? We don't like the towels, so we brin our own fluffy towels. We also bring our own plush toilet paper, soap, and water. I don't know how people use the ships thin toilet paper!

Wait, what? You use the same towels for your entire cruise? :eek: Ewwwwwww!

If I felt the need for home comforts, I'd stay home. Except for my toiletries. And my hair drier. And an air freshener for the bathroom ( since DH insists on coming along).

Fluffy towels take up a lot of luggage space - and you have to bring two for each - unless you want to use the same one day after day - that's a full suitcase worth. "Plush" toilet paper is likely to clog drains. At what point do you reconsider the advisability of leaving home at all if you need to bring so much of it with you?

Double it up if it's too thin for your needs. After all, that is what the "plush" brands do. Two ply or three ply "plush" is simply two or three sheets of single ply stacked together. So make your own out of the ship's supply. :cool:

Edited by sloopsailor

He did?!?!?!? Can you point me to that thread?

Yes he did. Use the search function and you'll find it.

Disintegrating toilet paper is made primarily for non-commercial heads on recreational vessels. What you get on a cruise ship is the same as what you get in a hotel. Also, like the supplied toiletries, linens, etc, the quality varies from cruise line to cruise line. This is one arena where "you get what you pay for" is most often true.

...........Plush" toilet paper is likely to clog drains.........

Once again, nope. Look for the link in post #42 for the explanation.

Yes he did. Use the search function and you'll find it.

Search function does not always bring up what you're looking for and many times, the choices having nothing to do with what you want.

I never found the need to bring shampoo and conditioner either until a recent Princess cruise. They changed the product--now some kind of combo--that is absolutely the worst stuff I've ever used. Left my hair stiff and crackly. So, this year I am bringing my own!

Other than that I can't think of any real comfort items I bring. I'm thinking about bringing some kind of small pillow for my neck though, due to pain. I do hate most pillows on cruises.

I bring my support cat - well, a small stuffed replica that is in many of our photos!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would bring one that hunts steals and meows endlessly if I could find one. It's going to be awfully quiet in the cabin at night!

But the flip side is I would need to send a support replica of me with the cat to the "cat hotel ". [emoji74][emoji74][emoji74]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums