When do we put luggage tags on?

I have vague memories of "do not put your luggage tags on your luggage until you pick up your luggage at the airport". But I am not sure if this is a RCI memory or one of our all inclusive vacations.

Can we put them on at home or do we need to put them on at the end of the travel day before we head for the ship?

I have vague memories of "do not put your luggage tags on your luggage until you pick up your luggage at the airport". But I am not sure if this is a RCI memory or one of our all inclusive vacations.

Can we put them on at home or do we need to put them on at the end of the travel day before we head for the ship?

Wait until just before heading to the ship. Any earlier and you chance losing them; most airlines these days will remove them.

I can't help with the airport part of this question ... because we drove to the port ... but I thought I'd contribute that the porter (?) at the cruise terminal seemed rather ticked off that our tags were not on our luggage as we got out of the shuttle van that drove us from the parking lot to the actual terminal.

I had the tags printed and with me, ready to fold and staple to the bags, but I didn't actually have them on the bags yet. I didn't realize just how much of a rush they would be to get our bags onto a trolly from the van and thought I'd have time to take care of it as we got our bearings ... I'll know better next time. :eek:

AFTER any flights! Never have ANY tag on bags except for the current airline tag,....they have enough problems when it's only THEIR tag on your luggage!

Same with heading home...tear off ANY other tags and only put the airline's tag on!

Why would you want to confuse the airline routing of your checked bags with multiple bar codes or, more likely, damage to the cruise tags in transit?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why would you want to confuse the airline routing of your checked bags with multiple bar codes or, more likely, damage to the cruise tags in transit?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hadn't thought about any confusion or how it would affect the airlines. All I had thought about was getting things done here at home. Glad you guys knew the answers. Luggage tags back off of the luggage.

I digress. I've never had a really good solution as to how to get those luggage tags attached to the bags once I was ready to put them on. I don't have purchased holders as some do, and I don't want to bring a stapler or tape.

I met a woman who had a dandy solution. She prints and folds the tags at home, and punches holes in the two ends. She has a couple of small zip ties with her, and just passes the zip ties through the holes and tightens. Voila!

I usually combine two luggage tags on one sheet of paper. I then print on with a sticky back. Similar to what airlines do with luggage tags. They are then very sturdy and hard to remove. Two tags per set and separate them with siccisors.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are doing a pre-cruise hotel stay put your luggage tags on your luggage the morning you are leaving the hotel to head over to the port. Enjoy your Cruise. Bon Voyage.

Ditto! We carry a mini-stapler in our bags and it makes it very easy to put them on our luggage before heading to the ship.

On the rare times that we actually fly to a port, I put them on after we

retrieve our bags and leave the baggage claim area. I do this while we

are waiting for shuttle/taxi/rental car...etc.

Even when not cruising, I take all of the airline tags off right away.

No big deal to put the cruise tags on the bags at the same time as I remove

the airline tags.

Ditto! We carry a mini-stapler in our bags and it makes it very easy to put them on our luggage before heading to the ship.

I've read other Cruisers carry a small stapler. In our First Aid bag we have a roll of medical tape. Scissors not required to cut it and it's very strong. I've also used Band-Aids instead of the tape. The tags are always on our luggage when they arrive at our stateroom.

I leave for my cruise Saturday but we are flying in to Tampa on Friday evening. I have put my luggage tags INSIDE both my suitcases. What I'm doing is putting them on the suitcases when i get inside the hotel in Tampa. I don't want to have them on when I fly because 1) I don't want them to get damaged in transit on the flight 2) I don't want the airline to wonder what it is so they pull it off. Its best to put it on right before you get to the port. I'd never fly with the cruise tags on the outside of my luggage. :)

I leave for my cruise Saturday but we are flying in to Tampa on Friday evening. I have put my luggage tags INSIDE both my suitcases. What I'm doing is putting them on the suitcases when i get inside the hotel in Tampa. I don't want to have them on when I fly because 1) I don't want them to get damaged in transit on the flight 2) I don't want the airline to wonder what it is so they pull it off. Its best to put it on right before you get to the port. I'd never fly with the cruise tags on the outside of my luggage. :)

Seems to be the consensus.

If you don't want to carry a stapler, as you checkin if it isn't too busy ask to borrow a stapler from the front desk. Whip out your tags and staple away. If it is busy. wait until later. I have found most Hampton Inn and above type hotels front desk clerks are accommodating.

After the plane.

I posed this question on the Celebriy forum after getting luggage tags from them"Why do the luggage tags say to fasten them to luggage before leaving home"?

The response I got was "because if the airline misplaces your luggage they know where to send it" Go figure!!!:confused::confused::confused:

I posed this question on the Celebriy forum after getting luggage tags from them"Why do the luggage tags say to fasten them to luggage before leaving home"?

The response I got was "because if the airline misplaces your luggage they know where to send it" Go figure!!!:confused::confused::confused:

That has come up frequently on the Celebrity board. General consensus is that the responsible Miami-based staff never thought of people actually having to fly to their port of embarkation.

Airline luggage tag can be used as tape to secure the ends of your cruise tags after flying into the embarkation port. Just pull apart the stuck together ends of the just used airline tag, remove the remaining back paper, wrap the airline tag strip around the butted together ends of the cruise tag to form the loop around the luggage handle or attachment point. Do not overlapped the ends as one does when using staples since having tape on both sides of each end of the cruise tag provides a stronger joint. This will provide a super secure tag.

If you are doing a pre-cruise hotel stay put your luggage tags on your luggage the morning you are leaving the hotel to head over to the port. Enjoy your Cruise. Bon Voyage.

We follow a similar procedure and attach them just before we leave the hotel room.

Putting the luggage tags on the bags is the symbolic Start of the Cruise. :D:D:D

Cutting the tags off the last night of the cruise after we pack marks the End of the Cruise. :(:(:(