Theft

SFloridian

This thread died a natural death last December, for some reason it was res-erected . Before replying to posts PLEASE note the date of the post your answering. In this case, the original poster went away and has not posted for at least 9 months.

This thread died a natural death last December, for some reason it was res-erected . Before replying to posts PLEASE note the date of the post your answering. In this case, the original poster went away and has not posted for at least 9 months.

True and recognized with the recent responses, which have all been relevant to the post that resurrected the thread.

And one year out is not so bad - saw one resurrected after 8 years one time........

• Haha 1

What possible difference does the age of a thread have?

If the topic is of interest to people, ongoing discussion for years does no harm.

• 1 year later...
On 11/26/2017 at 1:16 PM, SFloridian said:

Has anyone else experienced theft on cruises? the last 3 cruises I had things stolen. The last 2 from my cabin. This past week I had a box with expensive costume jewelry taken, that I did not realize until I got home bc I wore it the first night and it was in a box separated from the rest of my stuff which was usually in the vault. :mad: Every day various people come into the cabin. It makes me realize how these people go through your things. Makes me very uneasy to cruise again. Most of the time we put the "do not disturb" on the door, just to keep them out. Even with the sign, we would come to the cabin with the sheets turned down and the chocolate on the bed.

I do realize, it was my fault that the first night I left it out. And I do hope that celebrity will handle this better than RC did with a new dress with tags still on it stolen right out of my suitcase before carrying it off the ship (my husband told the attendant we were going for breakfast and leaving the suitcases in the cabin..( I know-great opportunity for him to go in and look-in this case the dress was at the top of the bag bc it was white and I was going to return it-)

I reported this theft like I did the last this year.

I know I will never get my things back, and my husband told me next time he is buying a camera so when we are not in the cabin we can see how they go through our things.

Just wondering if I am the only one that this happens to. It can't be that coincidental.

Before that I had a pair of sneakers with custom orthotics stolen right from under my lounge chair the first day.

At first the ship (RC) said they have cameras and they found the man -that it was staff. Then they changed their tune and said they were wrong. they didn't see anything.. So I figured with this 3rd theft in 2 years it cost me about 1,000.00 in stolen merchandise.

I just came back from a 7 days Mediterranean cruise by NCL.

When I got home I noticed that several pieces of my jewelry were missing.

I cruised many times with different cruise lines but it was my first time with NCL and my first time I had my belongings missing as well.

So I decided to google if anybody had the same experience, and for my my surprise It is overwhelming the number of cases of theft in room cabin. I am hating myself for being so naive. I guess I learned a lesson !

We have been on lots and lots of cruises on most of the cruise lines and so far, have never had anything taken.  Did lose a pair of sunglasses I left on a buffet table.  Nobody turned them in but, that's why I always take two pairs of glasses.  If it's something that means a lot to me, really expensive, or can't be replaced, be it jewelry or clothes, I don't bring it with me on a cruise.  The only things we place in the safe is money, credit cards, and important papers. Going on a cruise on February with a European line and hope I don't jinx myself.

7 hours ago, MonicaTexas said:

I cruised many times with different cruise lines but it was my first time with NCL and my first time I had my belongings missing as well.

So I decided to google if anybody had the same experience, and for my my surprise It is overwhelming the number of cases of theft in room cabin. I am hating myself for being so naive. I guess I learned a lesson !

I’m not sure overwhelming is the right word. An overwhelming number of people do not experience theft in a cruise/hotel room. A few (relative to the percentage of people who travel) do. I don’t think there’s a lesson to be learned outside of keeping valuables in your safe and sometimes you can do everything right and stuff happens. I have a close friend who travels 50-100 days a year and has her whole working/retired life. She experienced her first and only theft in a hotel room a few years ago. It can happen but certainly isn’t common.

• Like 3

On 9/29/2018 at 5:52 PM, navybankerteacher said:

What possible difference does the age of a thread have?

If the topic is of interest to people, ongoing discussion for years does no harm.

Agree - topics are often resurrected when they are of interest.  IMHO, a  thread "expiration" would only be relevant in the instance wherein a person is inquiring about a tour or activity applicable to a specific date only.

Edited by dogs4fun

On 11/26/2017 at 2:16 PM, SFloridian said:

Has anyone else experienced theft on cruises? the last 3 cruises I had things stolen. The last 2 from my cabin. This past week I had a box with expensive costume jewelry taken

Never in 20 cruises

This sounds like a troll.  What the heck is expensive costume jewelry ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Never in 20 cruises

This sounds like a troll.  What the heck is expensive costume jewelry ?

There is one brand I know whose prices range in the hundreds. I would consider that pretty expensive considering it doesn't use precious metals or gemstones🤔.

4 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Agree - topics are often resurrected when they are of interest.  IMHO, a  thread "expiration" would only be relevant in the instance wherein a person is inquiring about a tour or activity applicable to a specific date only.

I have to disagree.  As threads age the information can become outdated.  Ships are refitted, regulations change, and geopolitics are constantly in flux.  As an example,  the Cunard forum had a six year old review revived.  The original post dated  back to the time before QM2 had a major refit the changed the configuration of major public areas.  

14 hours ago, MonicaTexas said:

So you don't notice several pieces missing UNTIL you get home? What were you looking at while packing?

• Like 2

Never have had anything stolen in almost 20 cruises on six different cruiselines.  I have underwater camera equipment in my room worth almost $10,000 and never have had a problem.  I do make certain it is not visible when the door is open because, IMHO, most thefts are by people passing an open door.  Crime of opportunity.

We had thefts on our one of our cruises, none of our stuff but other passengers'. The kleptomaniac was finally uncovered including the loot in their cabin. It was a passenger who stole random items. 

Good advice not to leave anything visible when the cabin door is open. On that ship, we had a suite with the desk in full view of the door while the attendants were busy cleaning the bathroom and the area around the corner. They also cleaned the balcony. They would never have noticed a quick grab by passing people.  

Never had anything stolen, but did recently have a 'wake-up call' with my small laptop.    Left it in the room, almost invisible lying flat on an upper shelf in the room, came back after breakfast and found that I was locked out from logging in due to 'multiple invalid log-in attempts".    Luckily the lock-out was temporary, allowing me to log-in correctly after a 3 hour wait.    

We have been cruising for over 40 years on far more then 100 cruises (16 cruise lines) including several dozen on Celebrity.  Never, in all that time, have we had anything stolen from our cabin.  And there have been numerous times when we inadvertently would leave something on deck and we have always found our stuff via lost and found.  Given that many folks on cruises bring good jewelry it is difficult to understand who or why anyone would steal costume jewelry.  On Celebrity I have often left valuable watches sitting in my cabin (I have this habit of forgetting to lock up my watches) and they have always been wherever I left them.   In fact, in all our decades of extensive cruising we do not even recall any friends claiming that something stolen.  

Funny thing is that I recently (last week) lost a favorite old iPod while cruising on MSC (Yacht Club).  When it did not show-up in lost and found I had to really search my memory before realizing what likely happened.  It had likely dropped out of my pocket onto the sun bed (lounge) which was covered in towels.  I assume that the pool steward simply bundled up all the dirty towels and it went off the ship's laundry (iPods are not waterproof).   The thought that anyone would have stolen that old item never even occurred to me.

Hank

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BlueRiband said:

I have to disagree.  As threads age the information can become outdated.  Ships are refitted, regulations change, and geopolitics are constantly in flux.  As an example,  the Cunard forum had a six year old review revived.  The original post dated  back to the time before QM2 had a major refit the changed the configuration of major public areas.  

What you say is of course correct.  However, one benefit from resurrecting an old thread might be to dispel some outdated information that has, human nature and all of that, managed to hang on.  For example, someone might think QM2 was bad based on that review from 6 years ago.  Getting current info would be a good thing.   

Anyway, just a thought.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BlueRiband said:

You are correct - I should not have used the term "only" as there are, of course, exceptions. However, on general threads such as "theft", I cannot agree that there is an expiration date.

BTW - never had a problem with theft on any of our cruises.

Edited by dogs4fun

13 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Given that many folks on cruises bring good jewelry it is difficult to understand who or why anyone would steal costume jewelry.  

You are assuming someone would know the difference. There are some really well made costume jewellery that would need an examination to see the difference. I'm guessing most of these thefts are crimes of opportunity so not exactly spending time examining the pieces they will take. Once they realise that it isn't worth much they aren't going to give it back any way. 

It is a bit hard to imagine someone thinking a makeup box would be a great place to find something valuable on the spur of the moment, although I guess some women "hide" things there. We have occasionally found something we "lost" in a watebasket that we actually had accidentally thrown away. I think that type of thing happens more often than people realize.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1